Sign in to follow this  
twisted

please turn friendly markers on for a few weeks

Would you find freindly markers useful in the short term?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Would you find freindly markers useful in the short term?

• yes.
    • no.
    • stuff that i can tell the difference - so should everyone else. noobs!

playing mp tonight i saw 2 kinds of team killers.

imbeciles who think it is cool to kill teams mates for shits and giggles. thankfully very rare and quickly kicked by admins.

but far more common were the accidental TKs - due to the variety of uniforms and how at 200m+ most soldiers look damn similar. there were a lot of these.

sure in time people will learn to recognize the difference. but right now it is quite confusing. i've taken to using binocs to id enemy before shooting them but at close range i'll often take a bullet from opfor rather than tk.

the short term solution would be for admins to please switch on friendly markers for a while so people can get used to visually IDing friendlies in all the different uniforms (pilots, soldiers, SF, etc).

no enemy markers of course, but just the ability to ID friendlies would be very appreciated.

IFF is always on, regardless of difficulty and squad size. Just press spacebar.

If you want green diamonds on everyone, go complain on mission designers instead. AFAIK the diamonds only appear for your squad, so if there are multiple squads or the common each-player-is-its-own-squad layout, it wont work.

Or people learn to communicate and fight in a remotely structured way, so that they can't Quake-run'n gun but have to work at least one brain cell to prevent friendly fire? And as stated, Spacebar-scanning is already in the game ;)

Its fun with all the markers turned off in HOLD. In Evo and Domination I prefer them turned on.

With no battalion commander to organize troop positions its just to hard to tell where friendlies are and against AI that dont need to take that extra second to confirm target id.

If you ever spawn into a game, and are unsure of what to look for, just hit the "enter" key on the numpad. It will switch you to a 3rd person view, and you can free look, by holding down the "alt" key, all around your player character, and get a good look at what you look like. Anything that looks different is a good target!

And yes, I agree, playing with markers on in a larger game does look terrible, diamonds everywhere.

I have to say the current skins look a tad similar, at least when you get some distance. They really could've done a better job allowing easier identification. At least with Russia VS marines, insurgents/civilians are obviously easy to identify.

I don't think unrealistic IFF has a place, though, at least not on higher difficulties which is what I enjoy playing.

well then the TK by accident fest is going to continue.

we all best get used to that and not upset as most that i have seen have been a symptom of hard-to-recognize the difference of figures at distance combined with lack of team work and people just running all over the battleground instead of working with a central command.

don't bitch when you get shot though if you're the one charging around the battlefield in the middle of the fire zone instead of working with a team and staying together and putting fire where it is needed.

Edited by twisted

If you ever spawn into a game, and are unsure of what to look for, just hit the "enter" key on the numpad. It will switch you to a 3rd person view, and you can free look, by holding down the "alt" key, all around your player character, and get a good look at what you look like. Anything that looks different is a good target!

And yes, I agree, playing with markers on in a larger game does look terrible, diamonds everywhere.

The diamonds are only for your squad members. Depending on the size of the squad built on that mission, that could be a few to a dozen.

I'd like to see the squad markers on, as it helps immensely (on missions where there are structured squads) with getting some teamwork and communiation going. It's still the first few weeks of the big U.S. release and many players don't have mics yet, or don't yet realize the need to cooperate in this game is so much more than other games.

With squad markers and squads, it will also help with small groups being able to use group chat instead of the wider side chat and cut down on the voice chatter that gets confusing. The markers on, at least temporarily, would simply encourage players to learn to use this system better.

well then the TK by accident fest is going to continue.

we all best get used to that and not upset as most that i have seen have been a symptom of hard-to-recognize the difference of figures at distance combined with lack of team work and people just running all over the battleground instead of working with a central command.

don't bitch when you get shot though if you're the one charging around the battlefield in the middle of the fire zone instead of working with a team and staying together and putting fire where it is needed.

That's called realism, friendly fire happens. If it happens constantly, the player is either blind or he is lying.

That's called realism, friendly fire happens.

Realism you say?

Strange, I've never heard any report of a 10 year old joining the Marines, get posted to Afghanistan within minutes, drive a LAV HQ straight into a Taliban fort, get into the gunner seat and proceed to shoot down a Cobra, then just say he quits and go back home.

:p

As I said before, ALL WE HAVE TO TELL PEOPLE IS TO USE THE GOD DAMN SPACEBAR!!!. It can see friendlies through mountains ffs. And guess what? It can see enemies too. Built in wallhack ftw! You'd think that would get peoples attention :confused:

The diamonds are a minor thing.

And guess what? It can see enemies too. Built in wallhack ftw! You'd think that would get peoples attention :confused:

The diamonds are a minor thing.

Let's hope they fix that in the next patch.

Realism you say?

Strange, I've never heard any report of a 10 year old joining the Marines, get posted to Afghanistan within minutes, drive a LAV HQ straight into a Taliban fort, get into the gunner seat and proceed to shoot down a Cobra, then just say he quits and go back home.

lol. Although i bet you might hear about that when your fighting on the taliban side.

What's this "press space bar" about? I have the spacebar bound to something else so I don't know the command you're referring to.

What's this "press space bar" about? I have the spacebar bound to something else so I don't know the command you're referring to.

Well that's kind of stupid, considering space bar is the single most usefull function aside from stuff like... shooting...

It brings up the command menu and automatically identify any unit (friend or foe) you aim at (through woods, through houses, through mountains...). It also allow you to control AI units directly of course.

Ever seen those guys in MP that go berserk when some moron claims he made a "mistake" killing them with friendly fire, thinking they where hostile? They use the space bar. With it there is little chance to fire on an unidentified friendly target, simply because nothing is unidentified.

Well at least not in coop, it does react to friendly units being in enemy vehicles as hostiles... (but someone in a hostile vehicle with a name in coop is clearly not an enemy).

I only have problems killing own team mates with snipers ... :( and only inside city or towns when you have a heavy battle, so you don't have time to watch gps/map (one shot and they're killed ^^)

Its fun sometimes .... you hear your own team mates firing at you (and failing to hit you) and you say in chat "stop! its me!" but meh they empty they're weapon on you till they hit you and "sorry man .."

Well that's kind of stupid, considering space bar is the single most usefull function aside from stuff like... shooting...

It brings up the command menu and automatically identify any unit (friend or foe) you aim at (through woods, through houses, through mountains...). It also allow you to control AI units directly of course.

Ever seen those guys in MP that go berserk when some moron claims he made a "mistake" killing them with friendly fire, thinking they where hostile? They use the space bar. With it there is little chance to fire on an unidentified friendly target, simply because nothing is unidentified.

Well at least not in coop, it does react to friendly units being in enemy vehicles as hostiles... (but someone in a hostile vehicle with a name in coop is clearly not an enemy).

I am complete n00b at multiplayer and I killed a teammate last night and I still feel bad about it. I spawned behind a LAV, moved out uphill into the sun thru some trees and there was a figure in the glare right in front of me approaching. I panicked :eek:and shot him. I apologized twice, but there were WTF:mad: msgs.

The space bar thing I'll remember now.:o

I am complete n00b at multiplayer and I killed a teammate last night and I still feel bad about it. I spawned behind a LAV, moved out uphill into the sun thru some trees and there was a figure in the glare right in front of me approaching. I panicked :eek:and shot him. I apologized twice, but there were WTF:mad: msgs.

Well I've done the same thing, rounding house corners and suddenly ending up staring down the barrel of a gun can freak you out ;)

I would strongly advice using the map as soon as you spawn anywhere and take an impression of where friendlies are at. Keep in mind that:

A) The enemy is out to kill everyone and got super sight/aim

B) The friendlies are just as big a target as you.

Meaning, if there are 10+ friendlies around you there is no enemy AI around you or everyone would be dead already. So there is no need to be hyperalert and aim at every pixel that moves while sweating floods and shaking your trigger finger faster than your heartbeat. Common logic would dictate this.

Still, at least those encounters can be expected, because they do happen, heh. In comparison, snipers have absolutely no excuses.

I'm not sure if it's different for some in default settings?....but for me, my ALT key brings up the command menu and the circular icon that is used to scan for enemies. The spacebar only allows me to turn my head.

Try your ALT key, and if nothing else, go in and figure out a handy key to tie the Command menu, it is THE most valuable thing you can do while driving, flying or crawling and scanning forward and to the sides.

Some servers are different as well. On some, the scan identifies all enemies, on some I've noticed it only identifies enemy vehicles but not infantry. I"ve never seen it turned completely off where I've played.

That's called realism, friendly fire happens. If it happens constantly, the player is either blind or he is lying.

Yep, agreed, you don't even have markers in CoD do you? It would be kind of useful but less fun, it's much more fun to see an enemy and have to try and figure out whether they are friendly or not. I've only been shot accidentally about 5 times in all the games I've played, and I've only commited 1 or two teamkills, I really think this is an overreaction.

You are going to get this. The game is a simulator not a FPS, so realisticlly, markers should not be implemented.

secondly, due to the recent influx of new players to the series, (This is due to better publicity, advertising, promos etc etc) we have many minges, tools, and people not in spirit of the game, and how it was originally designed.

The original Arma was full of hardcore players. this ment lots of role play, structure etc. Now with Arma2, we have all this original players of the first still player, and then thousands of new players of the comunnity thrown in ontop.

So with Arma2 build around its original player base, it does not suit its new audience as well as it should.

For the game to be successful in multiplayer, I feel the people at BI have some work ahead of them. Firstly fix some major bug issues and get ontop of some major probl;ems that should have been fixed weeks ago. Also the community will have to be flexible. The game i feel has 2 major audiences, the hardcore and casual gamer. Both want different things implement ingame, and both clash

we have many minges,

:popup:

you know what a minge is in UK speak? lol

Oh and I wouldn't say they clash that much, ok you get people coming from vanilla BF2 wondering why the plane isn't spawning again but the BF2 PR players are teamwork players anyway, that mod wasn't run and gun.

I find remembering where you had a good game helps instead of picking the most popular/lowest ping server

Edited by wooly-back-jack

:popup:

you know what a minge is in UK speak? lol

Don't forget the flange :)