Sign in to follow this  
Big Dawg KS

How Smart is your AI?

Can't remember the town name, but it had an open field between where our MHQ was and the edge of the town. We got wiped and came back in as a group. I was assigned to sneak up to the treeline and look for the enemy.

What really struck me was that every single enemy AI was behind cover or some kind, a bush, tree, building. Not a single one standing in the open.

Later that game we were approaching through a forest and kept getting sniped. They had snipers and machinegunners waiting in the forest, prone behind trees. They wouldn't fire right away, they often waited till we were past them and struck from behind. It was creepy, most of the time we couldn't see them.

So much better than before. I agree with kylania. The AI is much better in the forests than it was in Arma1. Some tense moments to be had retreating from a large squad thru the woods. They peek from behind trees and advance using cover. I pause and return fire to slow them down, then continue retreating. I love being on the defensive in this game.

Till now the best A.I. I ever played against was the A.I. in Vietcong. But I have to say ARMA 2s A.I. feels more natural to play against. And I love how they flank, use cover, etc.

I do feel that after performance patch updates, the sp game A.I. will be alot smarter seeming. Imho, because I set up some mp maps with just me and alot of A.I., and the A.I. played very convincingly, and the gameplay was FAST. Very much like playing against real players. Since we all know good A.I. requires alot of cpu cycles, if performance is lacking, your A.I. is gonna be lacking as well.

Now we just gotta wait for those performance updates. ;p

To me there's no bigger motherflippen thrill then when you tactically have your squad surround an enemy base or village with the hold fire command, then upon hearing ''Ready to fire" and "Target in sight" you tell them to open up.

I was just messing around on a little mission in the editor and had 5 spec-ops with me to take out about 15 enemy infantry in an occupied village, and by doing the above they took out the entire enemy force who were actively taking cover without one casualty or even wound on our side -so satisfying.

The AI is so smart, that friendlies/team members will run in front of my sight picture/line of fire as I'm trying to peg baddies... that's how smart it is.

The AI is so smart that it will try to land a helicopter on a street that is too narrow because of trees being on either side, that they destroy the chopper in the process.

The AI is so smart, that when I ask team mates to board a helicopter, that one character always gets stuck on the rear rudder and refuses to go around or allow the command to board to be cancelled.

The AI is so smart, that when I tell them to board a vehicle and I get in before all of them have boarded, one guy refuses to get in because I took his seat.

The AI is so smart, that I can't use a chopper, as a passenger, for reconnaisance and keep it flying... it is purely for Point A to Point B transport purposes only.

The AI is so smart that as bullets are flying its way, it continues to stand there like a bump on a log instead of taking cover.

Edited by Sniperdoc

The AI is so smart, that friendlies/team members will run in front of my sight picture/line of fire as I'm trying to peg baddies... that's how smart it is....

Dude did you read the first post?! Granted there are problems, but this is not the thread to put it on so take your bitching elsewhere. Hell im sure there is a thread out there specifically designed for complaining about the AI... :confused:

Today after taking sustained losses the AI retreated bounding, effectively keeping my squad at bay, we chased them into a town where they holed up taking cover and making a real force to be reckoned with. Short story: I was impressed.

I really tried coming up with something to post here that would be relevant, but could only come up with this.

Hmm I suppose when you tell them to go somewhere far, and they are grouped with a vehicle, they will get in as cargo. Dismounting should go in the other thread, though...

In comparison to E:TW A2s AI is getting progressively better with patches, that's a good thing, but it's still somewhat of a road to travel till it's getting there.

Mine can see through a forest and pick out a static machine gun on the other side of a concrete wall that's not firing. - Uh, I guess yours can too.

In comparison to E:TW A2s AI is getting progressively better with patches, that's a good thing, but it's still somewhat of a road to travel till it's getting there.

Yeah tell that to flying AI,nothing has changed since Arma 2 1.0 and it's the most neglected part regarding AI issues.Seriously,if you want to stay clear of headaches don't use chopper or air support.You'll have so many situations like this ->:391: that it's not even funny.

But to respect the thread theme at least the infantry and armor(including the vehicles)AI does their job.

I'm sorry... I'll state something positive:

The AI manages to the ability to walk around obstacles... sometimes.

The AI can take you out from 500+ yards while you've been waiting prone in a bush.

The AI can tell you how nice the weather is.

The AI can flank you (although I think it's more of a matter of it being lost).

I usually have problems with human-players-I in ArmA 2 ;) but AIs usually spot us first by looking through vegetation and clutter... last week we made a great 2-sided attack plan and when we entered our vehicles AI fired a missile that flew through the very dense forest and hit & took out one of our tanks =)

IHmm I suppose when you tell them to go somewhere far, and they are grouped with a vehicle, they will get in as cargo. Dismounting should go in the other thread, though...

Now .. that's cool! Didn't realize it .. will try soon! Thanx for the info! :)

I like disscussions on smartness of AIs ... though it's a bit unfair: they can't defend themselves with words! (I ran the jeep into the bush ... because there as a libelle in my car etc. etc.). :eek:

And I hope, especially the annoyed critizing cogamers here, don#t just pic out one AI from a squad to do something ... as far as I have seen they indeed all have different "levels of skill", like we have ... <coughing> you have. Mine is ... CONSTANT beyond discussion.:D

Edited by Herbal Influence

My AI is smart as well. I tell my AI mates 2 and 4 to get into HMMWV and move to back up LAV-25 engaging enemy infantry on his own. My squad at this point is full mess. One LAV-25 isn't moving (later i discover it has tripped and is lying on it's side, driver still happily trying to drive it...). Another is, like said, engaging enemy infantry and is running out of ammo, which already is second time during mission. Those sods were effective. My dismounted element is spread around map, due somesort bug which probably is related to warfare's fast travel.

So i told 2 and 4 to get into HMMWV. Their response is "negative". I tell them again to get into vehicle. Their response is "negative". Next i tell them to come to me (they are 300 meters away behind hill). They say that they are on their way. [i start to plan how i organize firing squad and give them orders to shoot both [b]2[/b] and 4 on sight]... I wait and i don't see them. I check their position and i see them moving AWAY from me. Distance is already 700 meters and rising. Number 4 seems to run faster, 2 is requesting 4's coordinates.

Anyways i take HMMWV with MK19 and decide to pay them a visit. So they weren't enough smart.

Well story has been made bit more lively and probably sound funnier than it really was. In fact i went to that LAV-25 which was lying on it's side (still crew inside, driver trying to drive it), reloaded my SMAW with proper round and scorched whole god damn mess. Surviving crew members i chased down with HMMWV. It was almost like they would have tried to run away with their tiny little legs.

lol

yes i agree sometimes almost the friendly AI is good for killing them...

Im sure u know this guy named RAMBO,mostly NR.3 in my squad,dont know why,which is enaging enemys without being in danger while i gave the command "cease fire"....

Engaging enemies while you give a "cease fire" command is usually either becuase you gave them a "move" order (in which case #2 is now the formation leader and takes over, which is a known issue and will hopefully get fixed), or because they used their psychic abilities to find out that an enemy has detected them, and thus holding fire serves little purpose. Sometimes that is actually a good thing.

How smart is the AI?

Sneaky bastards, (or basterds if you like :)) if you ask me. With shooters, I'm used to shooting fish in a barrel.

I've engaged an enemy squad, 6 or 7 or 'em, everything going well, spotted a couple of em moving to my left flank, moved to the left to engage them, got them, finished the rest off, only to find - too late - that there was one left who kept his head down behind a fallen tree and shot me in the back as I moved past him.

I've noticed there is a marked difference in the skills of RF & US & CDF soldiers compared to the Insurgents and Guerrillas.

The AI is smarter then WOPR, HAL 9000, and Gus Gorman's supercomputer all rolled into one!

I love how they toss grenades (luckly they usually miss for a good distance) and use stealth tactics and just a moment later they run like hell to flank you :) yesterday we spent 15minutes just trying to get our sniper out of the area where he got pinned down.

Another good thing about the AI is that they can actually use all weapons. While they suck with some of them, the variety of weapons they use well is still much greater than any other game. I really wish they could use all weapons well though, and more importantly, know when to use them.