Sign in to follow this  
ApacheStark

Radio chatter - Not a mod exactly but a start

each to their own I guess.

I think it totally adds to the immersion. Maybe not a radio blaring from a certain spot in the woods, but having it in your cans as a backing track down low is awesome. Just go to youtube or whatever, find some radio chatter and run it in the background down low while playing your favorite mission. ;)

i find radio chatter to be highly inappropriate because modern radio headsets reduce the static and volume of the communication so that the soldiers can hear them individually.

they will not be broadcast over the woods like a walkie-talkie worn by security guards. immersion killer.

What a load of rubbish. You obviously haven't been in the military. On any channel their are lots of units, especially during contact.

What a load of rubbish. You obviously haven't been in the military. On any channel their are lots of units, especially during contact.

Your right Kremator certainly not the US Military. Please reload file download

certainly sounds like excellent mod, i dont know how youd get it working though...i guess youd just need some scripting knowledge. a good way to get radio chatter (or at least what i did) is download the free AoA Audio Extractor from here:

http://www.aoamedia.com/audioextractor.htm

and look up the generation kill end credits on youtube:

and use keepvid or youtube downloader or something to download the videos. then use the Audio extractor to extract the audio from them.

The audio extractor will only extract to three file formats so you will need an audio converter to convert them to a usable format. apparently this is real audio from the invasion of iraq and it sounds very good. it would add a lot of immersion. i hope this is useful to anyone wanting radio chatter

My question is with Genkill's radio chatter--while I have read at several places they are legit from the Iraqi invasion, are they still copyrighted due to the show? I personally can't see how it would belong to the show and unable to be used in regards to ambient radio chatter for like AA2, but I'm not all knowledgeable about this and don't try to act like I am. So I'm hoping someone with more knowledge in this area can chime in as it would be very helpful to know. :)

well Betsalel, i am no expert either..by any means..but i was watching a mod a month or two ago and the same sort of situation came up, and the way i took the resolution of the dispute that arose was that it was ok UNLESS you are making money from the mod. if this is a free mod then it should be fine but if you sell it or make money from it somehow then it could be an ownership issue. But dont rely on what i have said cos i am by no means an expert in this.

certainly sounds like excellent mod, i dont know how youd get it working though...i guess youd just need some scripting knowledge. a good way to get radio chatter (or at least what i did) is download the free AoA Audio Extractor from here:

http://www.aoamedia.com/audioextractor.htm

and look up the generation kill end credits on youtube:

and use keepvid or youtube downloader or something to download the videos. then use the Audio extractor to extract the audio from them.

The audio extractor will only extract to three file formats so you will need an audio converter to convert them to a usable format. apparently this is real audio from the invasion of iraq and it sounds very good. it would add a lot of immersion. i hope this is useful to anyone wanting radio chatter

Cant you just record it with sndrec32? You get it with windows. :p

Well, was reading more and came across an article that was talking about HBO's produced Generation Kill series, about its creator, etc. I came across this interesting part of the article:

"Both men credit Eric Kocher — who served five tours in Iraq and Afghanistan and was hired as a key military adviser for the TV series— with ensuring the final product was both accurate and realistic from a Marine’s point of view. (Above: Simon, Kocher and Burns on the set in Africa.)

During the intensive mixing of the series’ multilayered audio track, Kocher wrote much of the radio chatter and suggested other lines that could be dropped into the background (“Semper Gumby — always flexible!â€).

Something tells me, knowing how HBO can be, they would throw a fit if they found out. I was going to approach them and inquire to be on the safe side, and for other reasons but knowing it's HBO I'm not sure if I should even touch it with a 10 foot pole, no matter how much I'd love to have Gen Kill radio chatter. :(

Cant you just record it with sndrec32? You get it with windows.

well you could but it would sound like crap lol, this way is much better quality wise

During the intensive mixing of the series’ multilayered audio track, Kocher wrote much of the radio chatter and suggested other lines that could be dropped into the background

that doesnt mention credits there at all. It could be talking about radio chatter from the episodes...i mean if i was making a show like that, and i decided to make the credits radio chatter i would probably just get some pre recorded stuff instead of making my own.

So is someone working on a radio chatter mod atm? Having radio chatter in all vehicles and even in ur helmet sometimes would be absolutely awesome.

So is someone working on a radio chatter mod atm? Having radio chatter in all vehicles and even in ur helmet sometimes would be absolutely awesome.

As posted on other page check out Group Link 4 addon, this attached chatter to all vehicles.

As posted on other page check out Group Link 4 addon, this attached chatter to all vehicles.

Cheers dude, I just want the radio chatter, is there a way to just have that without all the rest of the addon?

i tested radio chatter of grouplink4 in a tank. It works well, but its not loud enough. I hear only short time after shutting down tankengine. To raise radio volume doesn´t help.

Im sorry to bump as a response (slight irony I know) but why are you bumping your own post ... if this gets any update it will bump itself.

i find radio chatter to be highly inappropriate because modern radio headsets reduce the static and volume of the communication so that the soldiers can hear them individually.

they will not be broadcast over the woods like a walkie-talkie worn by security guards. immersion killer.

Negative, its all sent out the same, all radio frequency's follow the same law.(you can have higher and lower, but they have auto frequency things on them now, radio towers in the 30 used to distort the molecules around it, would look fuzzy when they were transmitting) not to mention the difference between AM and FM is just the frequency's.

they have some newer satcom(satellite comms) stuff, but for the most part, lots of comms are still radio. and you cant hide frequency's ;]

so, immersion killer? Nah, get your facts straight.

edit:i havent tested this, read people saying the volume should be lower for when youre talking.

well no, you shouldnt have ANY incoming frequency's while sending out transmissions, when you talk it should cut out all radio chatter. youre either sending or receiving

Edited by Vick

Nah, I think zachanscom wasn't talking about the frequencies and transmission and stuff, but just the noise from the speaker. While in the past their was a big radio with a loudspeaker, today people wear headsets, so you wouldn't even hear the radio chatter even if you are standing right beside the guy who's getting it blown into his ear. The point is that at least the enemy should never hear it, you are not walking in a cloud of noise. Inside vehicles, it's a different matter, there can certainly be a loudspeaker filling the inside with noise.

I'd like to see a mod adding radio chatter of other friendly units, like you have firesupport-net on in the background.

the idea giving it to vehicles is nice, a lot of vehicles still use speakers.

I dont really expect CDF has the newest equipment so they could use it too!

would be nice to have radio chatter not like the robot like BIS chatter.

So nobody ever finished this brilliant idea? Radio chatter for friendly and enemy vehicles?? Damn I'd like to do that by myself but i have no clue