Sign in to follow this  
l mandrake

New players need a detailed manual!

I've been playing this series since the OFP demo so I'm pretty familiar with most of the AI squad commands (but not all!).

However, my Dad just bought this game and is trying to master it - he's been emailing me asking basic questions about controlling his AI squad. I want to point him to a detailed manual but there isn't one.... or am I missing it? The manual that comes with the game is a manual-lite caffeine-free version, which doesnt explain any of the more detailed commands (stealth, danger, aware, engage at will etc etc etc)

Also my clan just got swamped with new ARMA2 players, but again they cant find the info they need to really get into this game... I think this could cause lots of new players to give up soon, and TBH I wouldnt blame them... :(

Surely you cant release a game as massive and complex (and awesome) as A2 without documentation that explains how to use it?

Sorry if this seems negative, but I really want the Arma2 community to continue to grow to ensure the health of this amazing series :)

Edited by Mandrake5

I agree with Mandrake5 there is nothing on what does what or how to make missions and your links are arma not arma 2

Edited by PRambo

Dslyecxis guide is for ARMA 2, besides this game isn't that different from ARMA 1, so I'm sure they work just as well.

Arma2 has the biggest manual I've seen for a game in YEARS...usualy you only get a basic keycard and a tech-support number on a piece of paper.

Mandrake5 you should know it better:

Biki Manual http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA:_Manual

Biki Hints &Tips: http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Category:Hints_%26_Tips

Dslyecxi's guide: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=74994

Quite easy to find...

1. Point taken NoRailGunner, however that biki is indeed for Arma1, I dont want to confuse new players if there are differences (however small) between A1 and A2. If someone could update that BIKI for A2 that would be a good start - however the biki is sorely missing screenshots and is too text heavy for more 'visual' learners (probably embedded training videos showing squad commands in action would be best).

2. Dyslecki's guide is very useful, however it is (a) not official and (b) packed with military theory rather than pure explanations of A2's command interface. This is not a criticism, but it's not exactly what my Dad/clan mates are looking for at the moment - however they will almost certainly read it cover-to-cover AFTER they master the basics of the game.

3. The hints and tips page is again for Arma1/OPF and is unstructured and very hit-and-miss. What I feel people need is a detailed, illustrated PDF or Biki which explains EXACTLY what EVERY single feature of the ARMA2 interface does in a systematic manner.

Believe me, I'm not moaning for the sake of it, I just think this is a critical time for many new A2 players, they need some help!

Cheers

Mandrake

Edited by Mandrake5

Imho many game developers are very good in what they do.

To explain exactly every little detail or feature you need people:

1. know how things are working

2. know how to explain and write manuals/documentations

3. know how to translate it (czech -> english)

4. have time to do 1.-3.

5. have/spend enough money for 4.

Making good manuals and documentations isnt a job that someone can do in his coffee break. ;)

As an interim workaround try to play around with the editor. Try the wizard and try Mr-Murrays Editing Guide: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=4847

I know some new players are doing some basic training with mission editor. Guess for new players it would be better if there would be some more tutorial missions - explaining combat features step by step ingame too.

Maybe some clans can help and release their (training) missions to public?

I found it annoying that I had no 'live' targets to shoot at. Putting myself againt OPFOR would mean I was shot quickly. Make yourself a civ unit, put a weapons ammo box next tro you and several dozen units at various distance from you and you can test out grenades, machine guns etc without them returning fire. Good practice.

Imho many game developers are very good in what they do.

To explain exactly every little detail or feature you need people:

1. know how things are working

2. know how to explain and write manuals/documentations

3. know how to translate it (czech -> english)

4. have time to do 1.-3.

5. have/spend enough money for 4.

Making good manuals and documentations isnt a job that someone can do in his coffee break. ;)

While this may be true, it is irrelevant.

My point is that it seems BIS have made a decision not to 'confuse' new players by only giving them only a cut-down, basic manual. In fact, I'm only able to command the AI at all because I remember the key commands from Arma1: for some reason the AI interface in A2 has been 'simplified' to hide the 'advanced features'.

IMO this is a major problem; it's like teaching somebody to drive but only showing them 1st gear.

Arma2 has amazing potential for commanding AI, but it needs to be taught to new players via a detailed manual. Otherwise the Arma2 experience becomes pure frustration for new players as they simply can't make progress.

Edited by Mandrake5

I played since ofp and I am having trouble with the warfare parts of the campaign (badlands) as I have no idea how to do anything as I never have played online much (though should change when I get better net) I do like the videos they are doing, but maybe a more in-depth manual that can be easily dived in and out of might be good as well.

Mabey I am missing the point of the problem but my manual has a good basic explanation to every aspect of the game includeing the editor, the normal ofp style command system and the warfare style missions.

It is in english so it could be that the other langauges have been cut down like they sometimes do for other games.

Try looking for the following pages.

The editor go's from page 0.13 till 0.20

The command menu page 0.40 till 0.42

Warfare page 0.44 till 0.54

I do agree that the command menu explanation isnt as deep as it was in the ofp manual but atleast this one covers the mission editor unlike the ofp one.

I agree that without prior experience, it's not obvious where the "advanced commands" are, in which particular order, and what they do.

The quick command menu is nice for embarking/disembarking for instance, but since the advanced commands are hidden, I feel that even though it's easier to do a few things, it's actually harder to master the whole interface than OFP or Arma 1.

I've played the games since OFP, and there are still commands which are unclear to me as to what they do...

Whatever you sell, you have to describe in a way that the customer can use it without online support.

That set BIS did not even started to write a manual.

Don't come with the funny opinion that this Biki is a reliable source of information. Every modder can tell you some examples when a function was a) not described at all or b) not completely described or c) did not work as described

And a product = HW + SW + Decription

Hence 1/3 is missing.....ok, ok

Taking the basic manual for the controls + the training missions as "basic manual" we can say that the editing environment is not really described.

:cool:

Edited by S!fkaIaC

I bought my copy from steam and I didn't get any kind of manual that I have been able to find.

I had to learn in single player, the guide posted in these forums and alot of trial and error.

Bad thing is I still don't understand alot of the game.

I dont know if this is the right thread for this question but.

I have heard people talk about helos having tow cables, but when I ask how to use them nobody answers. Can anybody point me to a guide or manual that describes the cables?

Shhh.. he asked about tow cables again, no one say a word...

There's a script from ArmA, Mando Hitching, that replicates that. Even in ArmA2 it's seeming to be the best method of transporting vehicles via heli so far.

As far as no manual, it's 70 pages. Read it. As for teaching someone to control AI, do the Boot Camps there's one on Team Leader and one on High Command. There's plenty of information out there, because it's not force fed to people when they log in doesn't mean you can just discount it. Use all the tools available to learn about the game, not just the "in box manual". If that's not good enough for someone, perhaps they'd be happier with a game that isn't complex, like Call of Duty or LEGO Star Wars.

Edited by kylania

I bought my copy from steam and I didn't get any kind of manual that I have been able to find.

I had to learn in single player, the guide posted in these forums and alot of trial and error.

Bad thing is I still don't understand alot of the game.

Link to ARMA 2 manual on steam here:

http://store.steampowered.com/manual/33900/

When you got over it, that BIS just isn't very good in the presentation of the OFP sequels and still like this open world mil game for what is it when it comes to the core...

I would suggest that you write a new tutorial Biki page from scratch for newbies just like the one you're missing as a manual right now. Probably other players will soon support you on this page and a sticky link from this board could be set.

Not what you want but better than nothing, that Biki lives from participating players.

I would just like to say all these comments of “read the manual†are not exactly helpful, as I said I have been playing since ofp. I also played arma quite late when I finally had a computer that could run it, but never really went online due to things which meant I have been away from a decent net connection for a while.

I HAVE read the manual, and what I was asking which I feel is simple information for warfare within the campaign, is information, such as squad mate rearming by buying weapons but not having to drop your own to buy them, and starting new squad when your other ones are obliterated.

Also as a said I never really got to play online much on arma when I know warfare was added (correct?) so some of the information is a bit confusing and after reading the manual several times I can happily say it’s not in the manual.

Luckily I found out a lot of the stuff by setting up a lan game for myself and playing around with it for a bit, but the reloading of squad members etc, still has eluded me.

Also on a side note is the not being able to send units to other squads in badlands (in campaign) a bug?

That Biki Wiki Manual is great - Thanks for the URL.

I'm now figuring out how to do certain things that I wanted to do but wasn't able to, as I had no clue as to how to do it (also too ashamed to ask on the MP servers) :D

I would like to see a more detailed manual (for game play, not editing). I have played OFP, Arma etc since 2001. The wiki manual is good, but there are still a lot of things that aren't covered, and there is a lot of new stuff in Arma 2 that has yet to be explained.