Sign in to follow this  
teach

Really? A crosshair for a "realistic" sim?

In my opinion the default Arma crosshairs are too accurate. They should be more open. A lot more. Now the crosshair is right in the centre and just widens a bit when you move. It should be damn wide open in the first place and even bigger when you move!

Of course there are mods that do that but I seriously believe that if the default crosshair covered a bigger area, topics like this wouldn't exist.

The reason people complain about crosshairs is mostly because of the advantage they offer right now. Crosshairs should be an indication of your weapon's general direction. They should only be used when changing to ironsights or optics would be a matter of life and death! Aight? Get it?

Now YOU ALL KNOW THERE IS A PERFECTLY GOOD ADDON THAT DOES EXACTLY THAT and you should try it. It balances things out perfectly, it's not intrusive, it doesn't offer any advantage when used beyond short range and it makes using items (crates, ladders, doors) in the game world very easy.

I really hate sounding patronizing but try the minimal crosshair addon and tell me it's broken or unrealistic if you dare.

Now I am gonna go crazy and show you some crosshairs I made for fun:

How about this one? You can hardly see it. It could even change colors too. Suit the mood, you know?

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g163/master_gamawa/Untitled-3-2.jpg

The simple point crosshair. Very nice piece. You can't get more mimal than this.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g163/master_gamawa/Untitled-2-2.jpg

hey let's go SCI FI DUDES!

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g163/master_gamawa/Untitled-1-15.jpg

How about this one for grenades? Shows about where you aim with a grenade. The circle widens the further you aim just to give you an idea of spread or bounce etc

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g163/master_gamawa/Untitled-4-2.jpg

Ok? Are we cool now?

Can you complain about this for any other reason than pure aesthetics? Wouldn't ten different styles, colors and an opacity slider take care of that anyway?

Someone make this please.

Ok? Are we cool now?

Yes very... i play on servers with crosshair forced off and when i host it's forced off, thats an even easier solution :)

I don't like those crosshairs but the issue is the vanilla game. It should not be removed but rather widened like you said gamawa. Widening while running though is a bit senseless since you can't fire while running and the game already causes your ability to aim to be hindered while you are out of breath.

I don't know why this thread remains open. The same things have been said over and over, and there are still people trying to ruin it for others by removing them completely. The solution is simple - play with them disabled if you don't like them, play with them enabled if you do. We don't need to restrict it for one or the other. That's just selfish.

In case you still hadn't noticed, how wide your crosshairs are is irrelevant, there is that little "line" in the middle that shows you exactly where you're going to hit.

I know it's a bit OT: but please someone explain "Vanilla game" for me like anfiach above used it?

I simply found this term again and again but don't understand what it is ... my BIS games don't have a smell at all .. sniff, sniff ... nothing .. what is it?

---------- Post added at 15:43 ---------- Previous post was at 15:39 ----------

I don't know why this thread remains open. The same things have been said over and over, and there are still people trying to ruin it for others by removing them completely. The solution is simple - play with them disabled if you don't like them, play with them enabled if you do. We don't need to restrict it for one or the other. That's just selfish.

While I don't care people to discuss topics - why should I? - I personally don't like crosshairs at all. Simply because they are unrealistic ... but at the same time I like 3rd view very much - simply to me it's much more realistic than the egoshooterview with quite a big and unrealistic loss of field of awareness.

Find the discussion on that here.

So I personally would like a high realistic mode with no crosshairs but 3rd view on.

In case you still hadn't noticed, how wide your crosshairs are is irrelevant, there is that little "line" in the middle that shows you exactly where you're going to hit.

this line has got to go, man.

I know it's a bit OT: but please someone explain "Vanilla game" for me like anfiach above used it?

I simply found this term again and again but don't understand what it is ... my BIS games don't have a smell at all .. sniff, sniff ... nothing .. what is it?

Unmodified game. As in no addons or any kind of unofficial modifications.

Most people don't seem to realise you do actually develop an ability to aim accurately without crosshairs at short distances with practice, even with a sizeable floating zone. But each to their own.

Edited by Daniel

Just about everything that can be said has been said. And the solution seems to be rather obvious, however, I'll just add a few things:

1. It's a game.

2. It needs to be ACCESSIBLE to new players. I remember being initially confused by the floating zone in OFP, it would be even more confusing when you have no indication at all.

3. Really, it's a game. Crosshairs are fine in a game, really.

4. Options.

5. It's not realistic to have crosshairs? It's not realistic to have a box over my head with a rectangular hole to see through in the front. It's not realistic to use only one eye so you don't have 3D awareness. It's not realistic to reduce your eyesight to the display abilities of your monitor. Etc.

6. It's not realistic to fight alongside people you don't know. Want hyper "realism" then join some like-minded group where you can agree on such options.

7. All possibilities are already catered for. Reducing choice on a game is frankly rather ridiculous. Demanding people play it "without crosshairs" because it's such a hardcore "sim" is frankly rather ridiculous.

8. Remember newcomers.

Oldie but a Goldie

I say bring back the floating zone tyranny of Operation Flashpoint days! Force it on for everyone. It is unquestionably harder to aim accurately with a larger floating zone. Therefore simulating how difficult it is to hit anything with 'unaimed' fire.

As Daniel notes its not impossible to get used to it either.

For the unethical all you need to have 'perfect' unaimed fire on servers with no reticule enabled, is merely a piece of tape or dot at the center of your screen. Even so for people like myself who have played quake since the dawn of time. (periodically without crosshair) making center screen hits is a piece of cake anyhow.

Operation Flashpoint had it right. Full floating zone in unaimed mode; no float in optics/aimed mode. Reticule optional.

Interesting possibility

Another intriguing possibility is dynamic or variable floating zone. That is increased floating zone based on your current 'stamina' or 'breathing'. The logic is obvious, when tired its harder to make center-screen hits.

-k

Oldie but a Goldie

I say bring back the floating zone tyranny of Operation Flashpoint days! Force it on for everyone. It is unquestionably harder to aim accurately with a larger floating zone. Therefore simulating how difficult it is to hit anything with 'unaimed' fire.

As Daniel notes its not impossible to get used to it either.

For the unethical all you need to have 'perfect' unaimed fire on servers with no reticule enabled, is merely a piece of tape or dot at the center of your screen. Even so for people like myself who have played quake since the dawn of time. (periodically without crosshair) making center screen hits is a piece of cake anyhow.

Operation Flashpoint had it right. Full floating zone in unaimed mode; no float in optics/aimed mode. Reticule optional.

Interesting possibility

Another intriguing possibility is dynamic or variable floating zone. That is increased floating zone based on your current 'stamina' or 'breathing'. The logic is obvious, when tired its harder to make center-screen hits.

-k

No floating zone, it is unrealistic and additionally makes some players physically sick. There is nothing realistic about having arms made of rubber, better to have an increased rate of dispersion that makes close up encounters not too difficult to deal with but requires using sights to make long range or accurate shots and removes the dot in the center effect.

No floating zone, it is unrealistic and additionally makes some players physically sick.

LOL!

Floating zone was awesome. Might have to reactivate mine again.

I wish my floating zone made other players sick. That would rule!

I fail to see how moving your arms and turning your eyes with your arms constitutes a rubber-like anatomy, but to each his own!

Floating zone is moving your arms while keeping your eyes fixed, yet you can still aim your weapon. I don't see how you can do that IRL. I find floating zone having any kind of realistic purpose only when your weapon is not aimed (that is, sights not aligned so you can (and will do, slightly, whether you want to or not) move the weapon independent of your eyes), and even then too much floating zone (OFP style) is just plain weird - there should be just enough to make unaimed fire not be 99% glued to the center of your screen (with crosshairs off, of course, otherwise there really is no point to the floating zone).

Floating zone isn't needed for realistic "keep your body straight (so you can walk forward) while aiming to the side". If you hold your freelook button while aiming you will do that with or without a floating zone. Of course the effort is too big for how useful this is so nobody actually does that.

I agree with what was said. Actually a crosshair adds some realism. You don't always need to look down the sights to shoot.

The only thing is to work on the corsshair to make it less accuarate. Good enough for CQB but not for accurate shooting.

Maybe some kind of small circle with the "aiming point" randomly moving inside. Or a diamond or whatever.

I agree with what was said. Actually a crosshair adds some realism. You don't always need to look down the sights to shoot.

The only thing is to work on the corsshair to make it less accuarate. Good enough for CQB but not for accurate shooting.

Maybe some kind of small circle with the "aiming point" randomly moving inside. Or a diamond or whatever.

The thing they did with PKM's and M240's crosshairs would be good for all weapons. Normal crosshair without the bead.

Yeah.

Well perhaps keep the bead for any weapon with an aimpoint or reflex type sight.

-k

Well if OA is supposed to add IR/visible lasers and flashlights I think the need for a x-hair will go away...at least for some people

Why would anyone use a laser (that can be seen by enemies with NV) when you can just use a magic crosshair that does the exact same thing, is easier for you to see, and is invisible to anyone else?

Well if OA is supposed to add IR/visible lasers and flashlights I think the need for a x-hair will go away...at least for some people
If you only fight in the DARK

Daniel;1505207']Most people don't seem to realise you do actually develop an ability to aim accurately without crosshairs at short distances with practice' date=' even with a sizeable floating zone. But each to their own.[/quote']

+1

Crosshair is simply not existing in reality.

Edited by Herbal Influence
had to reedit it again ... LOL

I hope it is for you can't game/post that a lot. :-)

I know what you mean, but in my opinion it's adding bad (2D monitor) to bad (Crosshair) = worse (2D monitor + Crosshair).

But at last I am obviously the most deranged BIS gamer:

I am quite sure that 3rd view is more realistic than egoshooterviewmode and not at all a cheat (broad discussion on that here.

And I am also quite sure that crosshair is spoiling my immersion immensely.

:-)

I don't say that to be unique. I know (read it somewhere) I am not. ;-)