Sign in to follow this  
wazandy

I think only BI can help us now.

Do you have any idea, any at all, about what goes on in the software developement world?

Even the software I deal with, which is developed for a single purpose and runs on a controlled configuration has problems, patches and bugs. It is just the nature ofthe beast when dealing with so much data.

Go try and write a 50 page paper before a deadline that cannot be moved, and do it without a single typo, grammer error, or any other irregularity. A bit more realistic analogy for ya.

Actually No he does'nt.. and anyone that tries to bring a comparason for a car to software just proves that point.

Hans:

Did you pay $50US for ths car ? have you ever brought a car for $50 ? guess what.. that car for $50 WILL have problems..

Do you know how many lines of code in moden day games ?

Do you know how many bugs / issues there are during development / testing ?

Do you know of any other game that is as vast in scope and features as A2 that was released bug free ?

Do you know of any game in the last 5 years that has been released bug free ? (yes even console games have bugs and thats interesting given how much simpler they are)

Do you know of how many possible combinations of hardware / software these is that consumers run ?

Do you know that commercial software that runs from hundreds to millions and millions of copies has bugs and is always ongoing support / patches ?

I find it strange that all these people find it ok to release games in a broken state.

I love OFP/ARMA and ARMA 2 dont get me wrong, but there is a differance between bugs, and broken.

currently ARMA 2 is broken. I can get past bugs knowing they will be fixed but I have yet to be able to complete the campaign because scripts simply fail to fire, leaving me in a mission that does not end.

using "endmission" to limp through every mission of the main campaign is just broken. simple.

I find it strange that all these people find it ok to release games in a broken state.

I love OFP/ARMA and ARMA 2 dont get me wrong, but there is a differance between bugs, and broken.

currently ARMA 2 is broken. I can get past bugs knowing they will be fixed but I have yet to be able to complete the campaign because scripts simply fail to fire, leaving me in a mission that does not end.

using "endmission" to limp through every mission of the main campaign is just broken. simple.

I don;t find it "OK" to release a broken game, I am willing to accept that it will not be perfect however.

And to be honest, I got A2 for the mission editor and MP. Making up some missions and going thru them as a clan etc. While I have played a few of the singleplayer missions, and enjoyed them. A2 really shines in MP working as a team.

This is a troubleshooting section of the forums. Why don't people write their specific troubles, and then people can help find specific solutions. Trolls and bitching, be gone!

I expect indy and mod dev. teams to produce hiccups and such, not from BI. This has been the third time I bought one of their games, and super pumped to play it, just to encounter the same old same old.

Heh... Arma suffered from pretty much identical problems. UPGRADED engine, trying new stuff with old tech, suffering from exactly the same problems... Sound, LOD's, Texture issues, etc... the list goes on.

I got screwed with what they considered a good solid release with Arma. I didn't make that same mistake again, and I"m glad I didn't.

:aa: BIS

:smiley-biggrin: Codemasters! Wait for the real game to come out in the fall.

BIS create a BRAND NEW ENGINE. You've got great talent, but you've been riding the same engine for too long. Dump it and move on! You obviously didn't learn a damn thing from Arma's release, and you've had the gall to actually screw your customers over again. That's lovely.

The problems that were persistent with Arma's inital release are STILL persistent in their patched version of Arma... and all of you who got Arma 2 think you're getting better service with this??? I doubt that.

Creative Assembly and BIS must've been talking... cause they seem to have similar practices when releasing games.

Heh... Arma suffered from pretty much identical problems. UPGRADED engine, trying new stuff with old tech, suffering from exactly the same problems... Sound, LOD's, Texture issues, etc... the list goes on.

I got screwed with what they considered a good solid release with Arma. I didn't make that same mistake again, and I"m glad I didn't.

:aa: BIS

BIS create a BRAND NEW ENGINE. You've got great talent, but you've been riding the same engine for too long. Dump it and move on! You obviously didn't learn a damn thing from Arma's release, and you've had the gall to actually screw your customers over again. That's lovely.

The problems that were persistent with Arma's inital release are STILL persistent in their patched version of Arma... and all of you who got Arma 2 think you're getting better service with this??? I doubt that.

Creative Assembly and BIS must've been talking... cause they seem to have similar practices when releasing games.

The "real" game? The only thing that OFP 2/Codemasters has is the name which they've already tried to use in a dishonest fashion.

There is pretty much no chance that the OFP/ArmA community will migrate to OFP2 so good luck with that.

I'd get ready for a big disappointment unless you like BF2 clones.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out :)

Eth

Edited by BangTail

This is a troubleshooting section of the forums. Why don't people write their specific troubles, and then people can help find specific solutions. Trolls and bitching, be gone!

Quoting myself for emphasis! Cmon guys, this feels really pointless. Talk specific problems, and specific solutions! Shesh!

Quoting myself for emphasis! Cmon guys, this feels really pointless. Talk specific problems, and specific solutions! Shesh!

I wish we could. I think most of us have tried just about everything and have failed. Plus, why should we be troubleshooting and trying to fix the game? I'm not on BI's payrole.

I wish we could. I think most of us have tried just about everything and have failed. Plus, why should we be troubleshooting and trying to fix the game? I'm not on BI's payrole.

Well, I did a thread search to see if I could find any of the specific issues you are having - so see if I (or others) could help you with specific answers. But there are none. And I couldn't see any in your post history, although I didn't go through them all.

In my experience, the VAST majority of instability and software problems stem from (to name but a few):

• Bad/out of date drivers
  • Faulty memory
  • Memory leaks
  • Faulty hardware
  • Overheating hardware
  • Power instability (poor PSU providing poor voltage, busted capacitors)
  • Application/OS memory allocation conflicts (memory trampling)

Only one on that list, memory leaks, is really something that's a serious issue for the developer of the software. People regularly cut costs on their PSU and the slightest voltage difference across your motherboard will cause severe issues, lockups, etc...

Post your system specs, and your specific problems, in your own thread and I am sure you will get suggestions to help fix them.

Well, I did a thread search to see if I could find any of the specific issues you are having - so see if I (or others) could help you with specific answers. But there are none. And I couldn't see any in your post history, although I didn't go through them all.

In my experience, the VAST majority of instability and software problems stem from (to name but a few):

• Bad/out of date drivers
  • Faulty memory
  • Memory leaks
  • Faulty hardware
  • Overheating hardware
  • Power instability (poor PSU providing poor voltage, busted capacitors)
  • Application/OS memory allocation conflicts (memory trampling)

Only one on that list, memory leaks, is really something that's a serious issue for the developer of the software. People regularly cut costs on their PSU and the slightest voltage difference across your motherboard will cause severe issues, lockups, etc...

Post your system specs, and your specific problems, in your own thread and I am sure you will get suggestions to help fix them.

Dude, what are you talking about?

If ARMA 2 is screwing over customers I'll gladly bend over :)

What exactly leads you to believe DR is not gonna be the same deal as ARMA2?

BIS create a BRAND NEW ENGINE. You've got great talent, but you've been riding the same engine for too long.

You do realize they were working on Virtual Reality from the middle 90's?

At the stage of OFP the engine had 250,000 lines of C++ and Assembly code (source), it probably has over 300k now.

Making a game engine isn't a coffee break job, why do you think so many developers rather license a pricey third-party one (Unreal, Source)?

You obviously didn't learn a damn thing from Arma's release, and you've had the gall to actually screw your customers over again. That's lovely.

;)

The problems that were persistent with Arma's inital release are STILL persistent in their patched version of Arma...

No, they're not.

At least not any major ones.

What exactly are the problems you're having with ArmA2, if you explain them - maybe some of us other users can help. That's what this troubleshooting section is for, it's not for bitching and moaning.

Only fools will spend their money and time on something that works like crap out of the box... My time is worth something i aint screwing around for days to make it work sorry BI you fail.

What exactly are the problems you're having with ArmA2, if you explain them - maybe some of us other users can help. That's what this troubleshooting section is for, it's not for bitching and moaning.

?? Troubleshooting is exactly where people will go to bitch and moan about the TROUBLES. You want them all giving thumbs up for a very poorly optimised game?

I have posted threads on temp fixes for this http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=76369

Even after all of that the game still runs badly, it still crases to desktop at random. It still stutters like mad. It still gives low framerates with GTX295 card.....its amazing that it even still works. It took a 3rd party card developer to release a semi working fix for some people.

There has been no official response form BI about the lack of out of the box support for 200 series SLI Nvidia card owners and the 30 FPS cap lock with said cards.

After all the issues with Arma 1 I expected a better, well at least a working playable product on my new $3000 PC. It played better on my old Windows XP system with my old Nvidia 8800 Ultra.

Ki ora

Only fools will spend their money and time on something that works like crap out of the box... My time is worth something i aint screwing around for days to make it work sorry BI you fail.

Your time is so valuable that you'd rather spend it moaning on a forum for a game that you're not going to bother sticking with.

:icon_eek:

I don;t find it "OK" to release a broken game, I am willing to accept that it will not be perfect however.

And to be honest, I got A2 for the mission editor and MP. Making up some missions and going thru them as a clan etc. While I have played a few of the singleplayer missions, and enjoyed them. A2 really shines in MP working as a team.

Ok, for you it is ok, for me and others it is not.

So let it stay like it is. But since it was MY money that I spend it is only MY opinion that matters, not yours.

If you need a written justification why I am not happy just read that:

http://dev-heaven.net/projects/cis/issues?set_filter=1

... read them ALL, do not be lazy.

The car analogy does not work with software, unless of course you are providing the drivetrain.
My fathers BMW X5 (first series) needed two software Updates until it worked as advertised.

You see, most normal people don't mind bugs, because they are expected and especially so in such a vast game like this, but it's when it goes beyond this that people get upset.

The last game I bought before this was Empire: Total War, and like Arma 2 it had, and still has fundemental problems with the engine. I think it's pretty obvious that a lot of the complaints go beyond simple bugs and they can't be palmed off with claims that every different configuration can't be tested as the problems are appearing for so many, over a vast array of low/mid/high spec systems.

This then leads people to believe that little or no testing was conducted because the problems just can't be missed, or that the game was shipped anyway knowing full well of the issues. Neither of these are good and just fuel dissent and anger from the customer and/or consumer.

Fortunately I will be giving this game a chance to come good as I think it'll be well worth waiting for, which is a lot more than I can say for Empire.

My fathers BMW X5 (first series) needed two software Updates until it worked as advertised.

Same for me, got one of the first 530d and the engine controller required an update to be able to drive during winter.

But nobody in the garage had in mind to tell me that the road or the fact that it is winter is the real problem.

I like these threads, as long as they stay objective and somewhat comedic, but if they blow into another insult match the thread will get locked.

For anyone looking to insult developers or whatever, please don't, just post in the suggestion forum and wait patiently.

To everyone else, more car analogies please.

I think he is talking about the fact that your hardware configuration could be a problem.

I was getting blue screen crashes while playing Arma2. I adjusted my memory voltage a bit, and not one blue screen since.

I think it is easy to spot someone who has genuine problems and is looking for assistance.

Likewise it is easy to spot those who come on here and in their first post don't list any specific problems, just scream how much they hate BI and love (the thought of) DR.

The remedy for all honest OFP/ArmA2 fans is simple: Don't feed the trolls.

?? Troubleshooting is exactly where people will go to bitch and moan about the TROUBLES. You want them all giving thumbs up for a very poorly optimised game?

I have posted threads on temp fixes for this http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=76369

Even after all of that the game still runs badly, it still crases to desktop at random. It still stutters like mad. It still gives low framerates with GTX295 card.....its amazing that it even still works. It took a 3rd party card developer to release a semi working fix for some people.

There has been no official response form BI about the lack of out of the box support for 200 series SLI Nvidia card owners and the 30 FPS cap lock with said cards.

After all the issues with Arma 1 I expected a better, well at least a working playable product on my new $3000 PC. It played better on my old Windows XP system with my old Nvidia 8800 Ultra.

Ki ora

As far as that goes, it seems to be a problem with the GTX 295 and not SLI in general.

I ditched my 9800GX2s and I will never buy a "2 in 1" card again because of them (3 months for working FC2 drivers).

I never had any SLI issues with A2, just rename the arma2.exe to crysis64.exe and job done.

Eth

Edited by BangTail

You're not happy but enough whining already. Obviously they are working on fixing the problems but moaning endlessly isn't going to make it happen any faster.

Eth

Actually it is not obvious at all. Do date all BIS products have been plagued by a similar set of inconsistent bugs and mysterious performance sinks. It appears to be something of a trademark.

If the next few patches or even DLCs will provide us with some ACTUAL game enhancements/improvements. I might maintain my faith in BIS. If not... I'm not sure. A real shame as well, as BIS have been on the right direction from ARMA 1.14+

-K

Actually it is not obvious at all. Do date all BIS products have been plagued by a similar set of inconsistent bugs and mysterious performance sinks. It appears to be something of a trademark.

If the next few patches or even DLCs will provide us with some ACTUAL game enhancements/improvements. I might maintain my faith in BIS. If not... I'm not sure. A real shame as well, as BIS have been on the right direction from ARMA 1.14+

-K

It's blatantly obvious. There have already been 3 patches and it's only a matter of time before we see 4,5 and 6. If you have experience with BIS then you know the deal. Caveat Emptor. I knew damn well what was in store when I hit "Buy Now". Judging by your comments, you did to and bought it anyway.

I dont have any performance problems (I have some issues with the AI, but nothing major). Many of the performance "problems" lie with people not knowing their hardware's limitations etc.

The game has problems but I play with a few people and with the exception of a little bit of tinkering in the beginning, it's running perfectly under XP-64.

It has issues under Win 7 (and so do many other things) but Win 7 is not publically available until Oct 22nd.

Eth

Edited by BangTail