Sign in to follow this  
wazandy

I think only BI can help us now.

Don't you find it odd that the same types of bugs and odd performance issues seem to crop up in all BIS series games? No, either there are some hard-written software incompatabilities (making it impossible to fix without a total code rewrite). OR BIS lacks the competence to fix it. Either is perfectly possible. Are either options a servicable excuse however?

Myself and I suspect many others did, as you surmise, buy ARMA2 with certain expectations. I have not suffered any severe performance issues, I always custom build my PC. My main 'bone' with BIS is how little their games have improved in terms of user-interface and interesting 'Game Design' for their last few titles. Adding that since Operation Flashpoint days their skills at telling a convincing (or entertaining) story has faltered to say the very least.

All in all. Arma2 is an incremental improvement on Arma1. *Shrug* Worth the 370kr (or so I paid for it?) Probably.

-K

What same type of bugs are you speaking of?

Don't you find it odd that the same types of bugs and odd performance issues seem to crop up in all BIS series games? No, either there are some hard-written software incompatabilities (making it impossible to fix without a total code rewrite). OR BIS lacks the competence to fix it. Either is perfectly possible. Are either options a servicable excuse however?

Myself and I suspect many others did, as you surmise, buy ARMA2 with certain expectations. I have not suffered any severe performance issues, I always custom build my PC. My main 'bone' with BIS is how little their games have improved in terms of user-interface and interesting 'Game Design' for their last few titles. Adding that since Operation Flashpoint days their skills at telling a convincing (or entertaining) story has faltered to say the very least.

All in all. Arma2 is an incremental improvement on Arma1. *Shrug* Worth the 370kr (or so I paid for it?) Probably.

-K

I thought the campaign was pretty good by BIS standards but that's not why I buy any BIS games and anyone who buys A2 for the SP is probably going to be disappointed.

I love these stupid statements like "BIS lacks skill". Show me another game with this much scope. Simply put, there isn't one so you either deal with the teething problems or move on.

These games are intended for those who are going to commit to the long haul. That's how you get the most from them.

Cheers,

Eth

I'm happy to be quoted as saying that ArmA2 is possibly the most ambitious game project I have seen in a long time. Anyone involved in the gaming industry (and I don't mean as a consumer), will realise just how massive, expensive, and risky a development of this kind is.

Ethne , these games are intended for every one that wants to play a FPS , and you keep saying most games...most games on release are at LEAST playable except AA3 which was fixed ASAP , here its unplayable and has been released for like 3 weeks i guess or what ever for germans...stop saying leave go play something else please and stfu , if we bought the game we obviously want to play it. Thanks for your -2 cents.

Also , AA3 and this game is my first real problem and complaint and AA3 was fixed in 3 days. Which is understandable , 3 weeks isnt ... they are just taking their time because i mean they already got our money why rush? We can wait right? Yeah what ever.

Ethne , these games are intended for every one that wants to play a FPS , and you keep saying most games...most games on release are at LEAST playable except AA3 which was fixed ASAP , here its unplayable and has been released for like 3 weeks i guess or what ever for germans...stop saying leave go play something else please and stfu , if we bought the game we obviously want to play it. Thanks for your -2 cents.

Also , AA3 and this game is my first real problem and complaint and AA3 was fixed in 3 days. Which is understandable , 3 weeks isnt ... they are just taking their time because i mean they already got our money why rush? We can wait right? Yeah what ever.

rofl.

why dont you have a look-see through the..oh i dunno... say.. EA forums for any of their big releases.... yes - i mean ANY. and either go back to first post or use the search function and type: whine, wait, patch.

you can do that in any game forum and have enough reading material to pass the time until the guys at BIS have the next patch out.

Oh my, comparing a game like ArmA to America's Army? They are not even in the same league if you're comparing scope. Wow.

Also, this game is playable on release.

And while you're at it, Microsoft Flight Sim series was intended for everyone that wanted to play a flight sim game and each iteration of that series went through the exact same thing we are discussing here.

This release is no different than 95 percent of the other pieces of software on the market.

I played microsoft flight sim fine after the first patch that was released the next day lol. Also stop making excuses , it was a sucky release

Mc Speedfreak;1340144']rofl.

why dont you have a look-see through the..oh i dunno... say.. EA forums for any of their big releases.... yes - i mean ANY. and either go back to first post or use the search function and type: whine' date=' wait, patch.

you can do that in any game forum and have enough reading material to pass the time until the guys at BIS have the next patch out.[/quote']

Try Ubisoft forums too.

I know a little about what goes on or went on at EA in Canada from my bro. It was unbelieveable! I wanted him to record some of his meetings and day to day stuff and throw it up on a blog for all to see. Emmy winning material in both comedy and drama. I'm being very serious when I say that too.

All the Arma2 fan boys have come out to defend their game from being called kaput three weeks after release. Then another guys says that BI is "teething". Hmmmmm? So teething goes on for 10 years?

I don't see why you guys can't look at the facts and admit that once again BI can't seem to release something stable enough to pull out of the box and start playing. No one here has pulled anything out and starting playing because the forums (this one and Steam) are full of people complaining about the game not being playable. This doesn't mean bugs like a missing texture here or there, missing animation, color correction problems and things that can be over looked but still let you play the game.

Edited by Hans Ludwig

Just got done with 2 hours of awesome online play.

I wouldn't say no one.

All the Arma2 fan boys have come out to defend their game from being called kaput three weeks after release. Then another guys says that BI is "teething". Hmmmmm? So teething goes on for 10 years?

I don't see why you guys can't look at the facts and admit that once again BI can't seem to release something stable enough to pull out of the box and start playing. No one here has pulled anything out and starting playing because the forums (this one and Steam) are full of people complaining about the game not being playable. This doesn't mean bugs like a missing texture here or there, missing animation, color correction problems and things that can be over looked but still let you play the game.

It IS stable for me, so I'm not being a "fanboy". I've freely admitted it has problems on NUMEROUS occasions, that said, I've been enjoying it thouroughly. Nobody on the forums has tried to imply that it's in any way perfect. I even went as far as to say that I expect this kind of thing drawing on my previous experience with OFP/A1. There is no other game like it so you deal or you play something else. It's just simple common sense :)

If you're not happy for whatever reason, take a break and check back after the next patch.

@Winkl Bottom : Being rude doesn't help make your case.

You're comparing A2 to AA3 now? They are not even in the same class. Enjoy AA3 :)

Eth

Edited by BangTail

I also found a way to play ArmA 2 now.

I play as crCTI commander of one side. I look always down to my legs and use only the command menus. That avoids massive streaming and makes crashes a little bit more seldom. Cool right?

I also found a way to play ArmA 2 now.

I play as crCTI commander of one side. I look always down to my legs and use only the command menus. That avoids massive streaming and makes crashes a little bit more seldom. Cool right?

Still I would consider ArmA2 unplayable. I am not gonna wait for months to get it patched to a playable state. I have paid money for it and I want something for my money.

I am a software developer myself, but I wouldn't dare trying to sell something in this pre-alpha state... Actually my boss would fire me for crap like this.

Joe

I'm one of the lucky ones that isn't encountering any problems whatsoever (well, except for Windows 7 64bit, but everything bugged out under that for me)

I'm just hoping it starts working for the ones with problems so I have more people to kill online.

oh, for the record, there's no more problems with this game than any other on release... ok, maybe a few more, but here's hoping it'll get there soon.

That's funny, I just played with 12+ guys tonight on a brand new server for over 3 hours of co-op, and we all had a great time...no crashes, major glitches, lag etc. I guess we're all "fanbois"

As for me, I did pull it out of the box, installed the 1.02 patch, and started playing the campaign and a little MP here and there, and haven't had one crash or lockup. All I had was a couple faulty triggers that didn't go off; but after reverting back they fired and everything worked.

Yes, the game has problems; but if you think BIS has just "given up because they got our money" you are sorely mistaken.

That's funny, I just played with 12+ guys tonight on a brand new server for over 3 hours of co-op, and we all had a great time...no crashes, major glitches, lag etc. I guess we're all "fanbois"

As for me, I did pull it out of the box, installed the 1.02 patch, and started playing the campaign and a little MP here and there, and haven't had one crash or lockup. All I had was a couple faulty triggers that didn't go off; but after reverting back they fired and everything worked.

Yes, the game has problems; but if you think BIS has just "given up because they got our money" you are sorely mistaken.

Well, I say it is not working for ME, your experience has no relation to my problem except the evidence that there is a majority that can run the game without severe issues.

You lucky one.

But since I paid for my game and no other MY perception matters what problems are acceptable/minor/major/etc, not yours.

I would never call someone a "fanboy" because he has the "golden setup" and able to play ArmA 2. I rather wish to be in your situation.

But I call someone a fanboy suggesting:

- that because it works for him, it must work for me, else I am to stupid to use it

- that I have to accept certain bugs because he is accepting it

- suggesting that I have no right to DEMAND a high quality product, I should rather do devote begging and that I am entitled to piss into my pants if BIS is solving a few bugs every few months.

Hans, I think it has been asked now of you 3-4 times to actually state what your problems are ?

Well, I say it is not working for ME, your experience has no relation to my problem except the evidence that there is a majority that can run the game without severe issues.

You lucky one.

But since I paid for my game and no other MY perception matters what problems are acceptable/minor/major/etc, not yours.

I would never call someone a "fanboy" because he has the "golden setup" and able to play ArmA 2. I rather wish to be in your situation.

But I call someone a fanboy suggesting:

- that because it works for him, it must work for me, else I am to stupid to use it

- that I have to accept certain bugs because he is accepting it

- suggesting that I have no right to DEMAND a high quality product, I should rather do devote begging and that I am entitled to piss into my pants if BIS is solving a few bugs every few months.

well for one I wasn't replying to you.

secondly I realize I'm lucky and don't deny the game has problems; but I think a lot of the problems lie within the user's config/setup/drivers...whatever.

I think the statistics of BIS releasing a shitty game are distorted because whenever someone makes a post about how good the game is, you have the people with problems throwing in their 2 cents because THEY can't get it to work so it's the worst game ever made. And most of those people don't even post their problems,they just troll threads talking shit

lie within the user's config/setup/drivers...whatever

Assuming this is true and ArmA 2 is such a maintenance demanding application, I expect MUCH MUCH more support from BIS to deal with all that.

Either by writing very detailed manuals regarding application installation and environment adaptation. And by providing DETAILED descriptions about systems used for stability testing inside BIS to give the community the chance to replicate the system setup.

But stating just a few lines about minimum and average HW setup to play ArmA 2 is poor.

Things need patching guys we all gotta face it , especially in relation to the nvidia 200 series cards. Problems there thats for sure! But all that aside it is a way better game than ArmA ever was. Things will get better. BI have only patched the game once and with a hotfix so two! :) ... Give them time .

Intel core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 3.1Ghz

BFG Tech GTX 285 OC to core 674MHz. shader 1535MHz. mem 1247MHz

Asus P5N-D 750i

Corsair DDR2 XMS 800

EZ COOL 700W psu

Maxtor HDD

Yup, just like every game, it needs patching, give it time.

You just gotta realise that these problems are very difficult to narrow down as people there have been many cases of people with the exact same setup, some it works perfectly for, some crash constantly.

So in other words, keep submitting bug/crash reports in the correct place with as much detail as possible and the problem will get fixed all the faster.

Yup, just like every game, it needs patching, give it time.

:confused:

Was like that, is like that, will be always like that? Not my way of life.

Makes it a little bit to easy for them.

I thought the campaign was pretty good by BIS standards but that's not why I buy any BIS games and anyone who buys A2 for the SP is probably going to be disappointed.

I love these stupid statements like "BIS lacks skill". Show me another game with this much scope. Simply put, there isn't one so you either deal with the teething problems or move on.

These games are intended for those who are going to commit to the long haul. That's how you get the most from them.

Cheers,

Eth

A spade is a spade.

Skills and Competence

Coding (and gamedesign) is not some magical monolithic ability that encompasses all type of code works. Some people are better at vector calculations, some make spreadsheets, others even make fun 2d games for cellphones. These all requires different skills. Based on what evidence we've seen; I don't think it is an impossible conclusion that BIS might need some new blood.

Time>Money>Distribution

Of course you pretty much chose to ignore the other option I presented. Namely that the way the software is built up; it would be impractical or even impossible to write or produce a quick fix. This is disappointing, but ultimately a fact of life.

Scope

How is the scope of Arma2 so much greater than other games? Its practically ignored by the majority of mainstream consumers. If you want to see a game of grand scope and inspired design look to titles such as:

- Unreal-series (which managed for some time to become the industry standard for FPS shooters)

- Doom3 (which redefined the way we look at lightning in gaming, delivered blazing performance, and was a very well crafted game to boot)

- Practically any large-scale-MMO* (deal with millions more entities, game balance issues, and more than Arma will EVER encompass. Case study? EVE and WOW)

-MountnBlade (A husband and wife team from Turkey who managed to produce one of the best medieval combat simulators since Diebythesword)

and that's just scratching the surface.

To say that BIS games are 'greater in scope' than other games or genres is to sell the entire industry short. Not to mention downright rude to the people making these games.

-K

---------- Post added at 07:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 PM ----------

Bar analogy

Imagine this. On a gloriously hot and sunny day, and you are heading for the nearest Bar. You ask the keeper behind the desk for a wonderful and refreshing Raspberry Mojito!

He replies: I'm sorry friend I don't have the proper ingredients. I could run off across the street and ask my friend (in the other bar) for what I need, but there is a line of people behind you waiting to be served. How about a ice cold Tequila Sunrise instead?

OR

He replies: I'm sorry there, but I've never heard of that drink. How about I make you a Caipirinha instead?

In one case he lacked the competence, in the other he lacked the hardware.

-K (Jesus would have been proud)

A spade is a spade.

Skills and Competence

Coding (and gamedesign) is not some magical monolithic ability that encompasses all type of code works. Some people are better at vector calculations, some make spreadsheets, others even make fun 2d games for cellphones. These all requires different skills. Based on what evidence we've seen; I don't think it is an impossible conclusion that BIS might need some new blood.

Time>Money>Distribution

Of course you pretty much chose to ignore the other option I presented. Namely that the way the software is built up; it would be impractical or even impossible to write or produce a quick fix. This is disappointing, but ultimately a fact of life.

Scope

How is the scope of Arma2 so much greater than other games? Its practically ignored by the majority of mainstream consumers. If you want to see a game of grand scope and inspired design look to titles such as:

- Unreal-series (which managed for some time to become the industry standard for FPS shooters)

- Doom3 (which redefined the way we look at lightning in gaming, delivered blazing performance, and was a very well crafted game to boot)

- Practically any large-scale-MMO* (deal with millions more entities, game balance issues, and more than Arma will EVER encompass. Case study? EVE and WOW)

-MountnBlade (A husband and wife team from Turkey who managed to produce one of the best medieval combat simulators since Diebythesword)

and that's just scratching the surface.

To say that BIS games are 'greater in scope' than other games or genres is to sell the entire industry short. Not to mention downright rude to the people making these games.

-K

---------- Post added at 07:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 PM ----------

Bar analogy

Imagine this. On a gloriously hot and sunny day, and you are heading for the nearest Bar. You ask the keeper behind the desk for a wonderful and refreshing Raspberry Mojito!

He replies: I'm sorry friend I don't have the proper ingredients. I could run off across the street and ask my friend (in the other bar) for what I need, but there is a line of people behind you waiting to be served. How about a ice cold Tequila Sunrise instead?

OR

He replies: I'm sorry there, but I've never heard of that drink. How about I make you a Caipirinha instead?

In one case he lacked the competence, in the other he lacked the hardware.

-K (Jesus would have been proud)

Nothing like quoting you in full eh.......

Anyways, despite the obvious problems with Arma series of games they do offer heaps more than any othr game, FPS, MMO, whatever. The Arma series bring some of the most talented modders out there. Hang around and you will see that.

I played vanilla Arma for months befor i tried my first mod out, and when I did i was in for a ral surprise. Not only were there some fantastic new islands, and sat maps to fly around in, there were tons of new weapons, units, and vehicals.

I showed a mate of mine who had never played befor, I lined all the tanks and other armour up, and same with the air vehicals. By the time we had walked the line, and had a good look at each 3 hours had passed.

You cant be serious that any other game can offer this amount of scope. What allot of noobs fail to realise is the power of the Arma engine. Its not all lagg, errors, slow fps and buggs. Its a tool, which once utilised, and stabilised offers the verry best FPS experience there is. If you just plod around in the main campaign, or in multiplayer you are missing half the story.

Just wait and many of the Arma 1 mods will transfer over into Arma 2. Visit a page either on this site, or somewhere like arma info, and take a look.