Sign in to follow this  
jctrnacty

Why is OFP campaign so good and arma2 so bad ???

I finished the arma 2 campaign and i must say that i am dissapointed with how short it is.

I remember when i was playing original OFP i was having really good time and fun playing singleplayer campaign.

Good missions in arma are the first 4 missions. Then it´s really repetitive and boring.

LAck of air combat missions, lack of tank battles. No use of air support and artillery support (only in manhattan mission).

Shortness of campaign is really disgusting comparing to OFP.

Why the hell did they wasted such potential and possibilities in this game???

I really don´t know, if they were able to crate fun and entertaining campaign in OFP why didn´t they do it in arma?

They should hire those who did the OFP campaign back.

I hope they will release a mission pack or datadisc with better missions.

Other way I like arma2 and with another patches its better and better now.

SO much potential, so unused.......

Edited by jctrnacty

They should've just stuck with small scripted missions like in OFP and ArmA 1.

The AI in ArmA 2 is far too dumb to have any sort of convincing "emergent" gameplay.

The potential of this game hasn't even been tapped. The campaign is just a bonus, I'd buy this if it just came with the level editor.

QFT.

To me the campaigns are secondary. There will come so many missions and campaigns later on and for now you have the editor you should learn - seriously i think anyone buying this game should check the editor out and try learning it cause it brings so much fun to yourself and later to others as you can share the fun you create. But playing online with friends brings the most fun to me personally. You get into situations that are more like experiences than other point hunting shooter. You remember the time you and your mates were lying on a hill waiting for the jets to come before you could move in. You remember it cause it was late and it was turning night in the game. The sun was going down making the sky orange and you all were starting to get pinned down without any chance of moving. At the last second the jets came and bombed the shit out of the enemy and you got away.

Things like that shared with friends makes this the best game around. :)

Hopefully for people liking SP better there will maybe be an expansion with a new campaign. But a campaign will end no matter how long it is and then your in the same position again. However you gotta remember that the community makes missions and new ones will start coming in a steady stream. And they get better and better. Good missions with for example voice over takes time to make but they will come. So if you are an SP player in wait for missions and campaigns - start checking the editor out and download Mr.Murrays guide to learn it. You wont be disapointed because even learning just a fraction of it will let you create fun scenarios to play out. You can make anything randomized so even if your the mission maker and know the basic plot - you still have to play with care and tactics as everything will be more or less random. Just a tips.

Alex

I'm with Alex, they will come in time. Just think, there ended up being far better OpF campaigns made by the community in the end. As long as there's an editor better campaigns will arise.

The AI in ArmA 2 is far too dumb to have any sort of convincing "emergent" gameplay.

what are you on about? The AI is great, better than most other games.

Ok , then it´s a product called "Do it yourself!"

Yes on line is great, but not everyone has so much time to corelate with your free time to play on line. I preffer single.

The potential of this game hasn't even been tapped. The campaign is just a bonus, I'd buy this if it just came with the level editor.

Agree 100%! I keep getting blown away every day (sometimes literally!) with what is in A2.

I have played the first 2 missions of the campaign but spend most of my time in MP or in the MY MISSIONS section of the editor (BTW if anyone has NOT tried this section DO IT .... esp the COMBAT section)

Now with AA the game is about 95% complete in my opinion, with just a few tweaks left to do by BIS ..... the community can do the rest.

Ok , then it´s a product called "Do it yourself!"

Yes on line is great, but not everyone has so much time to corelate with your free time to play on line. I preffer single.

I'm in the same boat as you. I have 2 kids to look out for so i don't have the needed time for MP. You can't really pause the game there if needed. :)

Also the MP games in Arma & Arma 2 are 90 % evo & domination crap.

I prefer good SP action with interesting tasks like the first half of the Harvest red campaign or original CWC.

One man's meat is another man's poison......

I've read lots of reports from people that the campaign is superb, haven't tried it myself so I will reserve personal judgement, want to play it on the 360 ;)

I've read lots of reports from people that the campaign is superb, haven't tried it myself so I will reserve personal judgement, want to play it on the 360 ;)

It definetly is superb. To a certain point... You'll notice it when you get there. ;)

what are you on about? The AI is great, better than most other games.

What are you talking about? The AI is horrible, especially in towns. They have no real concept of defensive position, they stare at walls, they run right into enemy fire, etc. There's no useful way to tell them what to do either.

Worst of all there's only one AI for everyone. Riflemen, AT soldiers, machine gunners, snipers, etc. all act the same.

The game needs heavy scripting to mask this. There's nothing wrong with this. I had tons of fun with OFP and ArmA 1 campaigns.

We must be playing different games then.

MY MISSIONS section of the editor (BTW if anyone has NOT tried this section DO IT .... esp the COMBAT section)

Wow lol-never realised this-just had a go-great fun!:yay:

I liked the campaign tbh, short ? yea, just like every other singleplayer.

Can you play it through as a co-op?

I agree I like the OFP and ArmA campaigns much more then this ArmAII campaign. For me personally the campaign is the worst part of the game.

I haven't played through the Arma2 campaign, cause I haven't bought it yet (HTFU payday!). But I can definitely say that based on my experience with Arma, if you're willing to actually get stuck into the mission editor, you will find you spend about 1% of your time playing the campaign missions and far more playing through the missions that you make. Even if you don't want to get your hands dirty and DIY, there'll be about a hundred thousand SP and MP missions and even campaigns (The Cause and Perpetua from Arma come to mind) out there made by the community that will rock and then explode your world.

Think of the vanilla campaign as an extended tutorial to teach you what you need to know to enjoy playing the game, and then turn your eye to enjoying the mods, campaigns and missions produced by one of the most skilled and productive game communities in the world.

Well, I really don't know what people are talking about through this thread but I'm enjoying this campaign much more than anything else I have played so far. The immersion factor is superb and the story is quite solid, I do even prefer it to OFP CWR or Resistance.

Regarding the length of the campaign, I can't state my judgement as I haven't finished it yet but what I have seen so far, was just impressive.

Regards,

TB

Imho if there is a campaign or missions they should be very close to 100% done. Some people seem to be blind and excuse the errors, bugs and lack of proper betatesting.

What if they buy a house or a car - with defects? Will they stay calm and use some tools to get it better (on their own) or will they made a complaint about the defects? :rolleyes:

Arma2 campaign could be a lot better and I hope BIS will care about it. Where is the soul - when people have to build their own missions before they could enjoy the game?

Imho if there is a campaign or missions they should be very close to 100% done. Some people seem to be blind and excuse the errors, bugs and lack of proper betatesting.

What if they buy a house or a car - with defects? Will they stay calm and use some tools to get it better (on their own) or will they made a complaint about the defects? :rolleyes:

Arma2 campaign could be a lot better and I hope BIS will care about it. Where is the soul - when people have to build their own missions before they could enjoy the game?

As I asked in a previous post, is this statement true?

"An Uwe Bolle movie is AWESOME because all it needs are some patching and I can fix it myself for free!"

What??? Thought Bohemias admins where the first to have tried Arma 2 :D

Anyways you't can please everybody, I guess they didn't have the time to make it bigger or the campaign designers had a vision that was all the mission included in the campaign, besides the campaign seems really awesome and one of the parts that make me really excited about Arma 2 its still the editor and the random Mp games once or thrice a week that are the big candy for me :)

And the community is also intresting.

Just hope I can become more active in the whole giving department in the future :) with publishing more of my user created missions and stuff than working on them forever and they never get somewhere outside me and my lan gaming friends :p

I'm dissapointed with the single player content in Arma2. Theres 7 single missions and the campaign. 3 of the single missions are CTI and the other 4 are ok but very short.

We must be playing different games then.

He basicly overlook all the changes in the AI system and keep on ranting about the come and go problem where the AI do half of the time where when some tiny tiny things have screwed up that leads to the ultimate fuck ups.

Now i am not saying that the AI is completely bug free nor non-functional(well he did think as such acturally, for some reason), that would be lying to say that it is 100% bug free TBH, but I wish BI do carry on to fix it, wont be an easy task, but they have to.

Edited by 4 IN 1