Sign in to follow this  
Sniperdoc

FOR B.I. Please read

There are several issues I have with some basic things in the Arma 2:

When the audio prompts in the game request the Corpsman... it's CORPS... pronounced COREman... not corpseman, like dead corpses. Why do I know this...because I was a CORPSMAN for STA Platoon (or in layman's terms, Sniper Platoon). Why is it Corpsman? Because he is a part of the Hospital Corps.

Several abbreviations in the game or acronyms are just asinine. It's not M.O.U.T., it's read Mout as a word, not the individual letters.

Please research what you're making a game about. Simple things like this and the major audio issues this game has really ruined the gamplay for me. I'm on the 3rd mission, and I've already stopped playing because the immersion is crap. The sound effects of bullets or whatever, that "tac... tac tac tac" sound is still there since the OFP days. Get rid of it. There's nothing that makes sounds like that.

About the only thing that was improved and was awesome in ARMA 2 was graphics. That's it. Otherwise the game has terrible immersion.

You are totally forgetting the AI, the animations, endless small fixes/upgrades, way better sounds (rounds impacting around you are the best i've heard in any game).

Could it be more realistic? Of course it could be. Is it sold as a game? It is so treat it like a game. It's as simulator as a game can be.

What i find compelling is that after 8-9 years they still have NO real competition in the market. No other developers dare to go where BIS has gone.

You are totally forgetting the AI, the animations, endless small fixes/upgrades, way better sounds (rounds impacting around you are the best i've heard in any game).

Not only that but i've heard engine noise go away due to explosion sounds.

and I can't remember which boot camp mission where maneuver is mispelled

Wow, spelling errors - The sound I can understand as a major complaint, and something that is gamebreaking.... But when you mention the fact that corpsman is mispronounced (as far as I have seen, it's been spelled correctly everywhere) and that someone spelled maneuver wrong in some mission you don't remember somewhat reduces the legitimacy of your other complaint(s).

Sorry mate, try a different approach to critique next time.

The sound effects of bullets or whatever, that "tac... tac tac tac" sound is still there since the OFP days. Get rid of it. There's nothing that makes sounds like that.

Thats the sound of the bullet going into or coming out of supersonic speed

If what you said about you being in the army is true, then of all people you should know this

The sound effects of bullets or whatever, that "tac... tac tac tac" sound is still there since the OFP days. Get rid of it. There's nothing that makes sounds like that.

That was introduced in Arma, and never was in OFP.

I think it's better in Arma2 then in Arma. The nice thing about it is that you can tell people are shooting at you without rounds inpacting on objects near you.

Thats the sound of the bullet going into or coming out of supersonic speed

If what you said about you being in the army is true, then of all people you should know this

:D Brilliant.

I'd rather see BI fix the serious issues, their mil advisors can't pick up everything I'm sure. Are you one of those annoying people that watches war films and sits picking holes in it all the way through? It only ruins immersion to those that are in the know in the first place, and then someone who's anal enough for it to bother them!

@Sniperdoc

Hmm sound ok to me, infact you really should look at this..

http://www.firearmsid.com/Feature%20Articles/soundofbullets/soundofbullets2.htm

If you listen to the sounds over on that link you'll find A2 sounds pretty much on the money. Bullet whizz, crack & snap are fine. I will say they are far from exciting or varied BUT they are realistic. Apart from not being able to simulate the air pressure around you they did good :)

Overall the sounds are much better than OFP or Arma, they maybe used a 'handful' of old sounds but they put the work for the rest. The bullet hits are much more immersive, the vehicals have masses of sounds attached to them :).

But getting to the point finally, it really doesn't matter mate, highlighting smaller issues is good because they will get fixed by BIS, the community or both ;)

If your from the OFP days, you really should know that.

All of the sounds on the website you linked are good and most of the effects of the bullets in A2 are good. What I'm talking about is a "TAC TAC TAC" sound. It sounds like someone is taking a chopstick and smacking the tip of it on a table. There's no weapon that makes a sound like that and there's no such "effect" of the bullet traveling through the air.

I feel my complaints are legitimate as I was in the Navy, spent all of my career with the Marines, and feel a little bit of pride for the job I did. The fact that they didn't even get the term Corpsman right, or MOUT proper means their "military advisors" have absolutely no frickin' idea what they're doing and are just there to collect a paycheck.

Personally, I find it insulting.

But getting to the point finally, it really doesn't matter mate, highlighting smaller issues is good because they will get fixed by BIS, the community or both ;)

I hope so. :)

Edited by Sniperdoc

Wow, spelling errors - The sound I can understand as a major complaint, and something that is gamebreaking.... But when you mention the fact that corpsman is mispronounced (as far as I have seen, it's been spelled correctly everywhere) and that someone spelled maneuver wrong in some mission you don't remember somewhat reduces the legitimacy of your other complaint(s).

Sorry mate, try a different approach to critique next time.

Spelling and pronounciation isn't the same thing. While it is spelled correctly c-o-r-p-s-m-a-n, like the OP said, its not pronounced corpse-man, its core-man

and call me lazy but I am not a liar. And you may have not called me a liar, but you have implied that I might be lying.

Heres your proof

Untitled-1-1.jpg

Want me to go make a vid of the engine sound fading out while the explosion sound plays? or a vid of the pronounciation in-game of corpsman?

edit: I am also not criticizing the game. I am only stating facts, and besides for the explosion sound making the engine sound fade away, just because it is annoying, I dont really care if anything is mispelled or mispronounced. I just want an awesome game.

Edited by TexasJr

Spelling and pronounciation isn't the same thing....
....But when you mention the fact that corpsman is mispronounced (as far as I have seen, it's been spelled correctly everywhere)...

No further comments really, except: Don't get your panties in a bunch. You really need to read my previous post with some sensitive eyes to get the impression that I am implying that anyone is a liar. I am merely expressing my view that a single instance of mispronouncing corpsman, or someone mispelling manouvre isn't worthy of it's own thread. Especially not one when the dissatisfaction (I apologize if that isn't a word) over such trivial things is expressed through such impeteous wording.

Edited by GoOB
Re-write.

We know the sounds cut out when other sounds are being played. This is still here since ArmA. Dont remember if it was in OFP but quite possibly since that too. Seems ARMA2 uses too few voices - like 8 or something. Or the bigger sounds "destroys" other lower sounds so they disapear. No clue. It is an immersion killer and i hope BIS can fix it in patches. I dont hold my breath for it though as it been here for so many years.

I seriously think BIS should hire more people in to help them get ARMA2 done fast.

Alex

Sniperdoc

I feel my complaints are legitimate as I was in the Navy, spent all of my career with the Marines, and feel a little bit of pride for the job I did. The fact that they didn't even get the term Corpsman right, or MOUT proper means their "military advisors" have absolutely no frickin' idea what they're doing and are just there to collect a paycheck.

Personally, I find it insulting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark XIII

But getting to the point finally, it really doesn't matter mate, highlighting smaller issues is good because they will get fixed by BIS, the community or both

I hope so.

Heya mate, PM me, I have something you may like to try :)

Alex72:)

We know the sounds cut out when other sounds are being played. This is still here since ArmA. Dont remember if it was in OFP but quite possibly since that too. Seems ARMA2 uses too few voices - like 8 or something. Or the bigger sounds "destroys" other lower sounds so they disapear. No clue. It is an immersion killer and i hope BIS can fix it in patches. I dont hold my breath for it though as it been here for so many years.

Yep this is all controlled by the DB values within the config, it is possible to 'semi fix' the fading out it just requires some testing. Right now they are only using a 'handful' of explosion sounds to cover all the hits from all the weapons. I can't speak for other modders, but when andersson is ready we'll start fixing things like this if we can :)

Edited by Mark XIII

There's no weapon that makes a sound like that and there's no such "effect" of the bullet traveling through the air.

Yes there is. Its super sonic cracks. You have to be shot at or have the bullet go around you to hear it really. Its an effect of when a bullet passes through the speed of sound and thus makes a crack. Ive heard them in real life and yeah it sounds like that. Maybe not down to the Hz, but it is well made.

EDIT: And that bullet cracks - wich are pretty good made - are a bigger problem of sound than this is beyond me: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=76717

Alex

Spelling: Corpseman

Voice: Coreman

Some units/voices in the game gets it right (coreman), and others actually say corpseman.

I find the wizzby sounds very very nice.

Bullet flyby sounds, sorry.

Edited by CarlGustaffa

CORPSEMAN ! Mehhhh Deeek !!! :D :D

Meddeeek !!

Anyways.. off-topic: does anybody else find it hard to heal someone ?

That * icon is so hard to find !! You gotta point your cursor at the right place on the injured person to make the * appear :(

what's a wizzby ?

The sonic-boomlets or cracks were not in OFP.

I agree with "corpseman", though I don't remember hearing that in the demo. B.I. has a Marine who should have advised them on that and may have done so.

As for "MOUT", different branches have different ways of pronouncing abbreviations, but since we're dealing with a Marine unit, here, they should be pronouncing them according to Marine tradition.

No further comments really, except: Don't get your panties in a bunch. You really need to read my previous post with some sensitive eyes to get the impression that I am implying that anyone is a liar. I am merely expressing my view that a single instance of mispronouncing corpsman, or someone mispelling manouvre isn't worthy of it's own thread. Especially not one when the dissatisfaction (I apologize if that isn't a word) over such trivial things is expressed through such impeteous wording.

well the reason I mentioned pronounciation isn't the same as spelling is because I couldn't see a reason for you putting "(as far as I can see it is spelled correctly everywhere)" if it doesn't have anything to do with the pronounciation of corpsman. either way, that wasn't my argument, I didnt make this thread either. I just added extra facts.

P.S. Yes dissatisfaction is a word

Yes there is. Its super sonic cracks. You have to be shot at or have the bullet go around you to hear it really. Its an effect of when a bullet passes through the speed of sound and thus makes a crack. Ive heard them in real life and yeah it sounds like that. Maybe not down to the Hz, but it is well made.

Well, in the game it sounds like a chopstick being smacked on a table. That... what they have in the game does NOT sound correct. It doesn't even sound like a crack.

Just FYI, in my 4 1/2 years of time with the Marines... never heard that type of sound. I've also not heard it in ANY of the online home videos of the Marines/Army taking vids with cell phones. If the sound is really high pitched it should manifest itself REAL well on a phone or digcam video. So far, no real-life evidence for me. I'll be more than willing to accede if someone posts proof of this bogus "effect".

A crack... yes... but not chopsticks being smacked on a table.

Edited by Sniperdoc

About the only thing that was improved and was awesome in ARMA 2 was graphics. That's it. Otherwise the game has terrible immersion.

Actually, I think in some areas the graphics were not as good as ArmA1 - though overall it's brilliant. But I'm tangeltalising (lol) my reply, the immersion is [and the following is all caps to illustrate just how much emphasis needs to be placed on this] THE BEST I'VE EVER EXPERIENCED. Simply amazing.

I was on a wooded hill [in the demo] full of autumn trees [as happens occasionally in A2] and I honestly thought I could reach out and touch the trunks, it was just ... that ... good.

Thanks BI, amazing game, brilliant as per usual!

As to your comments, they are small issues, I didn't notice myself and I'd prefer if these things were accurate but I think having them mispronounce corpsmen/mout is a small issue, or maybe I was too busy looking at the trees :D

As said before some minor fixes with stuff and just upgrading graphics and they call it arma 2.

If Arma 3 comes out it should not focus on graphics and more on game style/game play.

And I wonder if anyone from BIS has had any field experience?

If ArmA3 or ArmA2 expansion comes out, it will need new map (probably Southwestern Chernarus..) in the same style, as it is the best thing in this game without a doubt, and probably the only reason why not to uninstall this game asap..

As to your comments, they are small issues, I didn't notice myself and I'd prefer if these things were accurate but I think having them mispronounce corpsmen/mout is a small issue, or maybe I was too busy looking at the trees :D

It is just a minor annoyance... for the most part, I'm pissed that they can't get the sound stuff figured out.

Personally it ruins immersion for me when I can hear a tank that's 2 miles away at full bore in my headset. It sounds ok when doing 5.1 sound, but headphones makes all directional, distance, and doppler effects go away, and all sounds are full bore.

That "Tac tac" sound is annoying and really kills immersion for me too. Don't get me wrong, I marvel at the landscape, trees, surrounding, etc... but audio wise, this game is the pits.

As I seem to have stumbled upon the nickpicking thread...Can't remember which menu it was, but...

FFS the spelling is loser NOT looser!!!!!

Edited by thefoolio888