Sign in to follow this  
TYsiEK

Osprey in next add-ons pack

Well Mi-26, Mi-28 and Ka-50(Ka-50 is in russian service) Ka-29 family would be nice and maybe even Ka-60 since Osprey isnt in service yet also. But u have to agree with me that a lot of choppers would ruin the game. The game must be more invantry and armoured based rather air. So BTR, LAV and artillery would be a nice addon. smile.gif

All these addons won´t do any good if we can only use them in SP-mode. (yes, they are nice toys) I think the first priority should be to improve the multiplayer mode so that it would be something better than just 8 vs 8 CTF. Have you played Starsiege: Tribes? 128 players, both sides have their own Commanders... That´s something that a game like Flashpoint deserves.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Heyvern @ Mar. 09 2002,00:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Oh yea.  I'd LOVE to fly an Osprey.  That would be coool.

And it would be great if BIS cleared up that "fog" effect in the whole game (campaign, single missions, and multiplayer) by adding a "fog effect" control slider in the SETTINGS part of the game.<span id='postcolor'>

I have tried in Flight Simulator...

Sweet baby, It flies rather nice except it's slow decend rate.

Otherwise it would be cool to fly in OPF hovering above and then when a Hind see's you, you press the Tilt button and flies away.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (madmike @ Mar. 09 2002,01:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If they took away the fog it would be too laggy to play. have you messed around with this setveiwdistance?

It is laggy when flying a plane if you take away all the fog.<span id='postcolor'>

You just need a better PC wink.gif

About the Ospray... ugly or what I dont give a damn its an aircraft it carries troops its a logistictool !! it all depends on speed and the load its that simple...

Anyone can waste their time saying that the Osprey "sucks", if they want to. But any ONE person's opinion does not matter . . . it's the majority that matters.

If the majority want to have an Osprey in the game, then BIS will probably take note, and sooner or later, try to fullfill what the MAJORITY of gamers want, in order to please the MAJORITY of their customers and make more $money$!

Frankly, I'm sure that people want to see other aircraft added to OFP long BEFORE the Osprey. I do too. The Osprey is LOWER on my list of desired aircraft, than other helos and planes. But the Osprey is still on my list, none-the-less.

In real life, speed, range, troop carrying capacity, and the ability to land vertically are the Osprey's strong points. In the game, the only thing that would really matter is the speed.

As for -

Range: Fuel is not a problem in OFP

Troop Carrying capacity: Sure, the Osprey can carry a lot of troops, but so can the Chinook.

Ability to land vertically: Again the Chinook or any other helcopter transport in OFP.

So the speed is the only major factor that an Osprey would have in this game. But besides speed, IMHO, the Osprey just looks COOL. :-) So yes, I'd LOVE to have an Osprey in OFP.

Okay, after spending over 20 minutes reading this entire thread I feel as though 90% of the people here are 14-year old kids who want "cool" units to blow stuff up.  Give me a break people.  If you want arcade-style shoot-and-blow-them-up type of entertainment, go get Commanche 4, because that's about as unrealistic as PC Game helicopter physics get.

Let's not forget what Operation Flashpoint is.  Even though it's classified as 1st person shooter, it's really more of a battlefield simulation, in which the Infantry seems to be the most realistic of all.  It is therefore a game simulating a battle from the eyes of a ground troop.  Vehicles like Jeeps, Trucks, Tanks and Choppers are there to add atmosphere, diversity, and realism.  Not one of those vehicles has the characteristics that would classify it as simulation.

Driving tanks in OFP certainly adds a sense of wider dimension, so do the choppers, but let's not turn this into another arcade-style air assault game hmmkay ?

If anything I'd suggest more infantry units, Mortars, Intelligence officers, etc.

You already have plenty of helicopters for transport and assault.  Anymore and no one would even use trucks/APCs anymore.

I know the Osprey combines the benefits of a chopper with those of a turboprop.  But for crying out loud, even the Chinook can cross the largest island - Everon in less than 5 minutes.  Why on Earth do you need something that flies faster than that ?

You guys just want these units because they are sooo coooool and you simply want to fly one.  Regardless of the actual use these units would have in a game.

Prime example:  C-130 cargo plane.  Can someone explain this to me ?  Have I been on vacation ? Did I miss anything here ?

Whoever said it earlier in this topic that C-130 cargo plane is desperatly needed is just another one of these arcade fun loving kids.  

Okay, where do you hope to transport stuff with the C-130 ?  Can you answer that for me ?  I mean, you can't fly from one island to another, and since there is only one airport on each of the two islands - Everon/Malden, then you can only take off and land at that airport.

Do you feel it's neccessary to load vehicles and troops on to the C-130, take off, fly around the island for a nice scenic trip, then land back on the same god damn airport ?  I'm just really surprised how totally illogical, downright stupid some of these ideas are.

Uhhhh, let's ask for Osprey, because it's soooo cool.  I don't care what this game was designed to do/simulate, I just want this chopper because it's so cool. yeah !

I want the F-18 or some air-to-air airplane !  Whoever said that is another example of the immature audience that seems to populate most of these threads.

In my opinion there are far too many air units already.  Considering that the Russians only have 2 and NATO has 5, BIS should perhaps add one more chopper for the Russians though.  Other than that, I see no point for Hueys.  There is nothing that Blackhawks or Chinooks can't do that the Huey can.  And just because you think it's cool then guess what, go play that Commanche 4, because all you seem to want is more and more air units.

F-18s, C-130s, Hueys, Ospreys, give me a break.

Osprey should not be implemented for the reasons aforementioned.

If BIS has any sense of decency left in them, and are going to stick to making this game better at what it is - Infantry battlefield simulation rather than some arcade-style air war, then I'll support them.

the only reason i would want a c-130 is to have the attack version of the plane, an AC-130 is for ground troop support.

mainly used for taking out built up ground forces and mechanized units. strictly for ground support, the plane goes up, gets the call for support, then it finds the target with the help of the ground forces, and paves the way for ground troops to move on.

then again, that would warrent air-air planes, and im pretty sure air-air shouldnt be used in this game due to the small island size.

uhrm that would only be even more stupid and unbalancing...

Hey! I'm a crazy 15 year old kid and even I agree. There is no need for vehicles like the V-22 if we have the blackhawk or chinook. What we need are some more conventional units, like a Havok, Hokum or even an Mi-6 Hook for the Rusians. Then we should focus on variants of existing units, or something we could use that expands the game in a possitive, logical way. I bought this game to have the most realistic combat possible and I like to stay away from mindless gorefests like HL (well planned and supported ones are ok). OPF and many of the other games I play don't look the best, as long as their realistic their good enough for me. So how about this: NO Ospreys, NO F-18s, NO AC-130s,and More Troops, More realistic weapons, and maybe one russian chopper. Consider the fallowing: A C-130 could appear breifly in a mission to drop troops, but thats about all its good for, its still eye-candy though, if we really wanted an air-drop everyone could just start in the air with chutes, no need for anyone waisting time making the plane and the scripts required to exacute the drop.

Just my thoughts.

Forget the osprey, the UH-1 (huey) is a good idea, but what I would really like to see is a HC-130. I have heard rumors that this add-on is being built. Does anyone know anything about it?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If you are short of everything except enemy, you are in combat.<span id='postcolor'>

I have to admit though, watching 64 paras chute into a DZ from a hercules would give me wood.

I want the herc so i can paradrop jeeps and other lite veichles and also ammo

For the rushians a cargo plane like the herc but a rushian version(i dont know one).You can also have bmds a version of the bmp but it can be pushed out the back of a cargo plane.

Osprey would be fun you could land deploy and then sit and offer fire support from machine guns like the ones on the

UH-60 (Dont think it has any but could be just for the game)

Although this is just my opinion

I agree that there's a lot of greediness in the community from time to time, however a Hercules WOULD be very useful for paradropping, since the one thing OFPs vehicles are VERY good for, it's insertion of troops.

I've been working on a couple of covert missions and the biggest problem is always insertion. The PBR is too loud and slow. Choppers are useless for landing troops on enemy AAA infested territory.

Either a SEAL raft or a Hercules would do wonders for "silent" insertions... either stealthy shore landing with the raft or HALO jumps from the Hercules. The latter also requires some way of steering while paradropping. And imagine the kick from jumping out of the cargo door at high altitude! biggrin.gif

forget planes and helecopters what this game needs are some more sea units, if this game is supposed to be so realistic surely (since its an island) there would be alot of sea activity, yet all there there is is a Mark2PBR for West, a 'boat' for east, i bet there is no seaunit that has been named 'the boat', oh and an LST that doesn't work in anyway!

i agree they need some sort of control when parradroping

A battleship would be nice that can be ordered to fire naval bombardment from shore

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Espectro @ Mar. 18 2002,11:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Osprey isnt in service either.<span id='postcolor'>

Shows how much you know.

First off I want to say that I don't really care if the V-22 is in OFP or not.

I have experience with the V-22 and it is truely a amazing aircraft. It has a few problems that are being worked out right now but they will be worked out. And just so you all know, the V-22's are not stationed in Arizona, they are stationed in quanaco VA. They were here in AZ for training from time to time but never stationed here permenantly. And are not grounded anymore, they are flying now again.

I knew almost all of the 19 Marines that died in the crash near Tucson, hell I was about 3 min from getting on that bird, but lucky me I missed the flight :-/

Even with this I still think the V-22 is very promising aircraft. I do however think that they removal of both the CH-46 and the CH-53 for this one aircraft is silly. I think the CH-53 Superstallion should stay in service along side the V-22.

I just wanted to clear some things up about the V-22. It is in service, it is a great aircraft, and it will start to have a cleaner record. All the problems with the V-22 that have been incountered thus far have been common for all new aircraft. If ya have any specific questions let me know.

<S>

Booky

even though this thread is osprey based ( which is a cool aircraft) I would like to say that to actually have one in OFP would be a bit useless. First of all what about the poor mofos who are playing on dinosaurs (like me) who would die if the fog effect would be taken away so that the airplanes would work properly. I must also agree with Dogi and Grave on this one.

The Russians lose some of the battles because they dont have some the equipment necessary for their tactics. Remember the Russian god of war? What about winter units like ski troops, and others? If we continue to add more and more units to the west what point would it be to play the east if thier would be not counter balance West>East.

If we were to add units we must have something for the Soviets. Like the ka-52 alligator which I hear still is in service, or other Navel and Infantry units. The west has enough let the East catch up. Adding a t-90 would offset the M1a1 advantage and even artillary. So I suggest we forget all that nonsense of Ospreys and other "cool" units untill later. I dont mean to totally forget them but to leave them for now and concentrate on the priorites at hand like building more useful units for the Russians and resistance to even out the balance and then expanding the arsenals of BOTH armies and not one at a time.

biggrin.gif

give us a HUEY!!!!!!!!!!!

osprey is good too, i want osprey, huey, and a that tank thing that goes on both land and water...of course u could add the canfloat = 1 script to a car and it will float on water smile.gif

i want:

Artilery

A Transport plane of some description

More russian shit in general

what i don't want:

is people saying "i want a resistance chopper!!!!" where the FUCK would they get one of thoose? the resistance arn't meant to be a fully equiped fighting force, they are meant to be a guerilla army using out dated/scavanged weapons (ie: t-55)