Sign in to follow this  
TYsiEK

Osprey in next add-ons pack

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Damage Inc @ Mar. 10 2002,19<!--emo&wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">There will be no Osprey because it's crap.<span id='postcolor'>

It is in VBS and (although it appears to have escaped everyones attention) there will be a VBS data disc for OFP coming out in the nest few months which will probably contain a Osprey...

...oh and could you please keep your posts constructive to the conversation, well researched, well thought out and less opinionated?

Jubs

I don't believe everyone forgot about this!

When VBS was announced and everyone started to complain that they wanted the units a spokesman for BIS gave a press conference regarding BIS involvment with VBS and right at the end announced a spring release for a data disc that would contain new units for OFP...

The community got all excited...look in archieves you will find it.

Jubs

Are you not see previous post ?!

Hehe lol smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (The Jub-Jub Bird @ Mar. 10 2002,20:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It is in VBS and (although it appears to have escaped everyones attention)<span id='postcolor'>

Not mine! smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (The Jub-Jub Bird @ Mar. 10 2002,20:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I don't believe everyone forgot about this!

When VBS was announced and everyone started to complain that they wanted the units a spokesman for BIS gave a press conference regarding BIS involvment with VBS and right at the end announced a spring release for a data disc that would contain new units for OFP...<span id='postcolor'>

I don't know what you're talking about.

In June, OFP Resistance is going to be released. That certainly will not include the Osprey.

So you must be referring to Independence Lost, which is more appropriate. However, even though it will apparently have a carrier, Harrier, new choppers and more, I never saw guarantees about an Osprey.

Uh excuse me:

The US has

Ah-1 Cobra

Ah-64A Apache

Blackhawk

Chinook

Oh-58 Kiowa

Soviet has

MI-24

MI-17

Thats 5 vs. 2, and you wanna make that 6 vs. 2. The US has gotten enough addons lately. I seriously vote for some Soviet hardware. KA-50 or MI-28 attack helicopters to counter the apache, MI-26 heavy lift helo to counter the Chinook, BTR-80 or MT-LB apcs (they are a so vital part of the Soviet/Russian infantry combat that i find it odd that they have been overlooked)...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Mar. 10 2002,19:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (The Jub-Jub Bird @ Mar. 10 2002,20:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I don't believe everyone forgot about this!

When VBS was announced and everyone started to complain that they wanted the units a spokesman for BIS gave a press conference regarding BIS involvment with VBS and right at the end announced a spring release for a data disc that would contain new units for OFP...<span id='postcolor'>

I don't know what you're talking about.

In June, OFP Resistance is going to be released. That certainly will not include the Osprey.

So you must be referring to Independence Lost, which is more appropriate. However, even though it will apparently have a carrier, Harrier, new choppers and more, I never saw guarantees about an Osprey.<span id='postcolor'>

No I am not talking about any of the official campaigns under construction. After VBS was made public knowledge a BIS official in a press release stated at the end new models as apart of an 'ultimate upgrade' data disc that will include units originally from VBS.

Lots of people I've spoken too also e-mailed BIS enquiring getting a similarly exciting response.

There was a bit of excitement...but I haven't heard alot since and it seems as though I am the only one that remembers this.

Jubs

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Intruder @ Mar. 10 2002,19:03)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote ([Dogi] @ Mar. 10 2002,13:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">and exactly how many times have you run out of fuel with an aircraft in ofp due to the "long" range you travel?<span id='postcolor'>

Not many times, but you asked what was important about the Osprey, It's speed and range exceeds a chopper yet it has the versatility of one. Bloody good piece of engineering! And a tactical advantage for the US! They included it in VBS, and independance Lost will have the harriers from that, may be we'll get the Osprey later on  smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

VBS-1 is VBS-1, this if OFP, do you by ANY chance happend to see the difference between them?...

maybe i dont want any tacical advantage fro the us?

besides it would just basicly be a chunky chinhook that can travel faster in one mode but travel like a normal chopper i guess in the other.

a well placed strela and youre tactical advantage will be laying in tiny pieces over a forest, if you want tactical advantage why not just go with multiple choppers?, maybe a bit harder to get done correctly in the mission editor but a trigger happy strela owner wont be blowing 24 people away all at once if you use 2 blackhawks instead of one osprey(of chinhook for that matter)

just airing my opinions, besides, the us got WAY enough airborne equipment in ofp now, 8 air units(that includes the uh60mg and a10lgb) while Russia got 2, Resistance got 0, and civilians got one but that dosnt really matter.

if you want a reasonable air unit addon i would have to suggest a Ka-29 with 40 unguided rcokets and 4 atgm's aswell as a 7.62 machinegun(i think, im not so sure about the machinegun) aswell as 16 combat ready troops(aswell as the fact that Russia could need another chopper in OFP(thou so could Resistance too but back to that later! smile.gif), i hope any of this makes any kind of sense smile.gif

Helicopters like the Blackhawk and Apache have killed far more people. The AV-8A Harrier had a terrible safety record with the USMC as well. Its the nature of VTOL aircraft.

If every VTOL aircraft that was accident prone was canceled, we would have none. There is nothing inherently wrong with the Osprey concept. There might be some design or training issues that need to be resolved.

If I were a helo pilot in the USMC and you asked me whether I would rather fly 30 year old CH-47s that are dropping like flies or risk flying a new design that flies twice as far twice as fast... hmm which one is a greater threat to my life? Either the present V-22 or an improved variant of it will be the long needed replacement for a large number of worn out Vietnam era helos. Of course, if the people in congress are as uninformed as some of the people posting here, they will conclude that the V-22 is a disaster and should be canceled. It is the political fluctuation in budget that has delayed this program from the start (it was needed over a decade ago!wink.gif. It will be politics that ultimately kills this program entirely.

Dogi you are 100% right about the benefits of Osprey, in my opinion most people are wanting Osprey because it's cool. I see nothing wrong in it you all have your opinions but BIS is the one who decides. And if BIS decides to put Osprey in the game i would be happy, because i got a free addon. But also I would be very disappointed because it would only unbalance the game and not actually add anything new to the game.

Just think this: if you could decide, which one you would put in, Osprey or a new Russian chopper?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote ([Dogi] @ Mar. 10 2002,23:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif3--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Intruder @ Mar. 10 2002,19wow.gif3)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote ([Dogi] @ Mar. 10 2002,13:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">and exactly how many times have you run out of fuel with an aircraft in ofp due to the "long" range you travel?<span id='postcolor'>

Not many times, but you asked what was important about the Osprey, It's speed and range exceeds a chopper yet it has the versatility of one. Bloody good piece of engineering! And a tactical advantage for the US! They included it in VBS, and independance Lost will have the harriers from that, may be we'll get the Osprey later on  smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

VBS-1 is VBS-1, this if OFP, do you by ANY chance happend to see the difference between them?...

maybe i dont want any tacical advantage fro the us?

besides it would just basicly be a chunky chinhook that can travel faster in one mode but travel like a normal chopper i guess in the other.

a well placed strela and youre tactical advantage will be laying in tiny pieces over a forest, if you want tactical advantage why not just go with multiple choppers?, maybe a bit harder to get done correctly in the mission editor but a trigger happy strela owner wont be blowing 24 people away all at once if you use 2 blackhawks instead of one osprey(of chinhook for that matter)

just airing my opinions, besides, the us got WAY enough airborne equipment in ofp now, 8 air units(that includes the uh60mg and a10lgb) while Russia got 2, Resistance got 0, and civilians got one but that dosnt really matter.

if you want a reasonable air unit addon i would have to suggest a Ka-29 with 40 unguided rcokets and 4 atgm's aswell as a 7.62 machinegun(i think, im not so sure about the machinegun) aswell as 16 combat ready troops(aswell as the fact that Russia could need another chopper in OFP(thou so could Resistance too but back to that later! smile.gif), i hope any of this makes any kind of sense smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I never said I wanted the osprey in the official game, you asked what was important about it, and I gave you a fact. Sure I would love another attack chopper for the russians more than the osprey. Personally too many air transports in the official game would unbalance it completely.

Your comparism is between a single Osprey and a group of choppers saying that the group of choppers would have better survivability, that is true, but a group of Osprey's would have as much survivability as a group of choppers.

I mean whats to stop a strela from taking out a chinook, and plus RPG's are even a threat to any hovering or slow moving air vehicle.

I understand your point about putting the V-22 in the game, it would pretty much be useless, but I like seeing all sorts of addons in the game, unofficial as much as official, like the terminator addon, not gonna do much with it, just for fun.

Osprey is serve for transport and not for attacking ! mad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (TYsiEK @ Mar. 11 2002,13:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Osprey is serve for transport and not for attacking !  mad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I didn't say it was mad.gif

the troops have to be transported somewhere, and in ofp its usually to a place where theres angry enemies who wanna kill you...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (TYsiEK @ Mar. 11 2002,13:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Osprey is serve for transport and not for attacking !  mad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

The V-22 Osprey is tiltrotor vertical/short takeoff and landing multi mission aircraft, designed to replace current Marine assault helicopters. Used for amphibious assaults to carry troops and equipment. It will replace the medium assault choppers.

I know what is the Osprey wink.gif

Its Quote for DigitalCenturion...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Uh excuse me:

The US has

Ah-1 Cobra

Ah-64A Apache

Blackhawk

Chinook

Oh-58 Kiowa

Soviet has

MI-24

MI-17

Thats 5 vs. 2, and you wanna make that 6 vs. 2. The US has gotten enough addons lately. I seriously vote for some Soviet hardware. KA-50 or MI-28 attack helicopters to counter the apache, MI-26 heavy lift helo to counter the Chinook, BTR-80 or MT-LB apcs (they are a so vital part of the Soviet/Russian infantry combat that i find it odd that they have been overlooked)...<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (TYsiEK @ Mar. 11 2002,14:02)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I know what is the Osprey  wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

so do i mate wink.gif

Why is everybody arguing like it has to be one or the other? Why not BOTH?

Why not ask BIS for an Osprey AND a Russian chopper?

Or for that matter, beg BIS for a full set of choppers, including an EQUAL number of types on each side?

So even if they add 4 new US choppers, they could add something like 9 new Russian choppers, and balance out the total number of helos on each side?

They're not really doing avionics, so it's not like it would take them forever to build highly detailed working cockpits.

I do wish they would add a "padlock" view for those who are into flight sims and know what a "padlock" view is and how it works.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DigitalCenturion @ Mar. 10 2002,17:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Uh excuse me:

The US has

Ah-1 Cobra

Ah-64A Apache

Blackhawk

Chinook

Oh-58 Kiowa

Soviet has

MI-24

MI-17

Thats 5 vs. 2, and you wanna make that 6 vs. 2. The US has gotten enough addons lately. I seriously vote for some Soviet hardware. KA-50 or MI-28 attack helicopters to counter the apache, MI-26 heavy lift helo to counter the Chinook, BTR-80 or MT-LB apcs (they are a so vital part of the Soviet/Russian infantry combat that i find it odd that they have been overlooked)...<span id='postcolor'>

Name other Soviet helicopters that are actually in use, though? There aren't that many. Even the Mi-28 is only on a limited deployment. The Ka-50/52 is not in service and may never be, either. The Mi-26 would be awesome... but it's SO huge. I mean, you can fit BMDs (paratrooper versions of the BMP) and BRDMs inside those. There is also the Mi-2 and Mi-4, bu those are pretty dinky and somewhat old helos that were never that successful. And the Mi-10, similar to the Sikorsky Skycrane, could lift entire trucks or containers (for airmobile hospitals, troop transport, cargo, etc.). That might be cool.

I do think that a Ka-25, a Ka-27 Helix A and a Ka-29 Helix B would be the most appropriate for OFP. These are all Soviet naval helicopters that were in service around 1985. The Ka-25 and Ka-27 are just naval search/anti-submarine/logistics helicopters with minimal relevant weaponry (can't kill a tank with a torpedo) but they all can carry troops and at least a door gun. The Ka-29 is, as someone has mentioned, a great naval assault helicopter, designed for the Soviet/Russian Naval Infantry as an assault gunship like the Mi-24. Think of it as a cross between the Mi-24 and the Mi-8.

Ka-29