Sign in to follow this  
bonchie

Any comments on the Campaign?

Doesn't seem like many people are talking about it.

Put simply, what's it like, how long is it, how varied and well put together are the missions, and is it any good overall?

Without Spoliers of course. I'm talking general opinions here, not specifics.

Yeah i also wonder.

OpF had variety: you were a pilot, tank commander, and a soldier then you had an escape mission, resistence mission etc is this the same in ArmA 2 ? cause ArmA 1 didnt had the same thing

Im glad they stick to a special forces team this time insted of jumping into the skins off all kinds of different characters. This is far more realistic and it was about time they focussed on special forces for a change

Guys, have an eye on the forum rules...

§21) Do not post campaign spoilers outside of the "Official Mission" forum.

So I'm moving this thread.

I love the campaign, however, due to bugged missions I cannot continue

So it's always go there and clear out, or defend this all the game? With the same team? Then how are the single missions? :D Any awesome helicopter missions and such?

I wonder how such showstoppers missed beta testing.

So has anyone completed it and can comment on how long it took? I saw one guy say about 30 hours, which is pretty long by today's standards, but then I saw a thread complaining it is too short.

Anyone got more details?

Well, completed it, the last mission, where you find out that Victor Troska is still alive

and he is the guy, who killed your teamleader back in mission 3 is very interesting.

Edited by Berghoff
Use spoiler tags in the future

Well, completed it, the last mission, where you find out that Victor Troska is still alive

and he is the guy, who killed your teamleader back in mission 3 is very interesting.

dude... i thought you wanted to say like a small thing but now it's spoiled :( my bad for looking :D

dude... i thought you wanted to say like a small thing but now it's spoiled :( my bad for looking :D

Don't be. He just fooled you.

Actually i was stuck just after completing Manhattan mission, one of the best from my point of you. So i completed 50% of the overall campaign. The following missions are simply unplayable right now due to nest of bugs.

30 hours long playing ? I doubt anyone could sincerely answer at this time.

Campaign seems promising but, good lord, investissors should have let more time to devs for beta testing it ! So actually we are beta testers paying for a product not yet finished. it's more and more usual nowadays and it must be put to an end.

Next time, i will buy arma(3?), months after his release with a lower price.

Don't misunderstand it, Arma II will be a "must have" without all those bugs.

Well, I really like the campaign so far, especially the more open-ended missions - its almost like an adventure game at times with how many concurrent objectives you're given and how much freedom you have to choose when and how to complete them. That said, in 1.01 there are bugs, some minor, and one - AI stops responding - that simply breaks the campaign for me to the point that I can't play it past a certain point. All the more annoying since the campaign was just starting to seem very interesting.

I never played the Armed Assault campaign, but the last days i tried the ArmA2 campa and i had a lot of fun. But why always died Ohara in firefights? :D

Coops rulez!

i am at the invasion mission, where you have to clear out the main town. why does mission fail if one of my teammates die? Dont like that special forces stuff, and on youtube i saw guys playing as the russians etc on missions. are those official missions?

Opinion? It's bugged. That's about it. Patch didn't change that.

And I'm the guy usually playing "bugged" games to the end without even patching and without noticing any bugs. Well. ArmA2 changed that.

Edited by Icewindo

It's is really fun and open ended, but rarely works. Once I FINALLY got past manhatten after restarting all the time due to various bugs, I got onto the next mission only to find a huge bug that wouldn't let me finish the mission. One of the triggers didn't work so i was stuck and literally could not get out of this crappy car.

Oh well, guess I'll just have to wait for patches....

It's is really fun and open ended, but rarely works. Once I FINALLY got past manhatten after restarting all the time due to various bugs, I got onto the next mission only to find a huge bug that wouldn't let me finish the mission. One of the triggers didn't work so i was stuck and literally could not get out of this crappy car.

Oh well, guess I'll just have to wait for patches....

Are you using the 1.02 patch now and still getting these bugs?

I'm playing it now. Just started Manhatten. To me, the open ended nature of the previous mission and this one are just brilliant. The ability to call in the chopper, set your own lz, sweep a town at your own pace...it's just so ridiculously immersive, and so far the dialogue and cutscenes have melded perfectly.

Manhatten has a very "Vietnam" feel to me. Firebase on a hill. Investigating weapon caches. Helicopter insertions. Meeting local insurgent leaders. Questioning possible communist sympathizers. Working with the local resistance forces. All just very cool.

Yes I am using =the 1.02patch.

I seem to randomly loose my artillery support, and something elese, which i don'twant to say for spoiler reasons.

So, after the 1.02 patch I have finally been able to continue with the mission after Manhatten. What came next was the first warfare mission which quite frankly is horrible. This warfare stuff is a control-disaster. The control interface of Arma 2 already comes to its limits with your own squad. Trying to play a strategy game like that is a complete failure. Frankly the UI of warfare feels like a scripting solution of a mod. Adding warfare to the campaign has been a huge mistake in my opinion.

You are frequently loosing complete control over your men during combat while your character chats over the radio for minutes. Combined with how the game handles auto-saves, I have now endured the same endless cut-scenes and radio conversations repeatetly for hours.

The campaign has some nice moments but is ridden with design problems. It is very ambitious but falls flat on it's face in execution because the game (control interface, AI) can not handle it. Plus it is still has plenty of bugs. So far the campaign has been a major disappointment for me.

The campaign has some nice moments but is ridden with design problems. It is very ambitious but falls flat on it's face in execution because the game (control interface, AI) can not handle it. Plus it is still has plenty of bugs. So far the campaign has been a major disappointment for me.

I agree... guess we just have to wait for the OAC/CWR Resistance conversion or user campaigns.

I have a question...does the campaign really ends with the mission where you have to seize big part of chernarus with CDF forces? Or is there any option to expand it with attacking russians? Its quite short in this way.....i was hoping to see some great battles between USMC and russians. And theres not many SP missions as well...:( hope to see some datadisc.

The campaign is bug ridden in v1.02, as it was in v1.01.

I wasn't even able to complete Manhatten mission at the moment, due to major bugs that were not corrected.

Big bug for me in the second part of the campaign: the 3 others members don't want to follow me... The patch didn't fix it.

About the performance: some missions are ok, but some others are too much heavy.

The non responsive teammates bug was just stupid, and the fact that it held over for 2 missions was dumber.

The campaign up until Bitter Chill was great. Then it pretty much copyed OFP. Forces are leaving, your left behind, blah blah blah. I'd like to just fight as a regular soldier in a regular war for once, where I don't get left behind, it's not 4 guys against the world, and I don't have to coordinate with local insurgent fighters.

I ended up skipping Dogs of War because I knew I wouldn't enjoy it. The Warfare missions just weren't my thing. I completed the first one, and then seeing the scale of the second one, I didn't even bother. Just cheated and took the flight back to the ship to end it.

Hopefully BIS decides to make a nice long expansion campaign, without the warfare stuff, but more along the lines of the opened ended missions like Manhatten (without the bugs of course).