Sign in to follow this  
Shadowclaw

Shooting out of a car/truck?

Would be cool or somehow realistic i think if everyone (not the driver)on board most vehicles could shoot. It's a pain if you drive a truck with couple of men on board and have to dismount because some guy is shooting at you.

Unfortunately it was one of the big features advertised with back in 2007, however have been scrapped and confirmed to be scrapped in autumn 2008. You can use search function and search for something like "Shoot out of non-gunner positions" or so, there is a big topic about it already.

But who knows what the community can do with the "attachTo" script command.

Sometimes it wouldn't make sense, but I always thought that shooting out of the side of a Knighthawk (or the Blackhawk and MH-6 in ArmA) would be a lot of fun, even though you most likely wouldn't hit anything.

Unfortunately it was one of the big features advertised with back in 2007, however have been scrapped and confirmed to be scrapped in autumn 2008. You can use search function and search for something like "Shoot out of non-gunner positions" or so, there is a big topic about it already.

But who knows what the community can do with the "attachTo" script command.

When was it advertised? Suma only said in a forum post that they're working on something to make it possible to shoot out of vehicles. I guess it didn't work out as planned.

When was it advertised? Suma only said in a forum post that they're working on something to make it possible to shoot out of vehicles. I guess it didn't work out as planned.

Back when Suma did the Q&A on Sahrani Radio, I sent in a question about moving around inside and shooting from vehicles.

The answer was that moving would not be possible, but they were working on shooting from passenger positions. I don't believe it was ever officially confirmed and then dropped, they just implied that it might be there, but didn't manage it.

Oh yeah, radio interview. mr. butt-hurt there makes it sound as if it was printed on the box and so on.

Oh yeah, radio interview. mr. butt-hurt there makes it sound as if it was printed on the box and so on.

Dunno if the Radio Interview did meant anything to you, but for me it meant much when the lead dev personally confirmed such a feature at that point!

To the "mr.butt-hurt", i reported your post ;)

Immature and flamebaiting, cut it out please, you're better than that.

Hi all

We can now do this with the attachTo command, I am sure there will be a MOD out soon that makes it available as an add action in certain vehicles.

Kind Regards walker

I thought there was a mod like that for Arma? Or a script?

My memory is fuzzy at best.

You can't shoot out when your a passenger? that sucks

I would have thought that would be a basic requirement especially in helicopters, look at GTA4 even in that game you can shoot out ROFL

no biggy though

How wack is that. I already replied in the AI thread. I told I installed Battlefield 2 again and that I just love those bots. After all those years.

Can someone please tell me what they added, when you compare this to Arma?

Not just the 10 new scripting commands please.

Hi all

We can now do this with the attachTo command, I am sure there will be a MOD out soon that makes it available as an add action in certain vehicles.

Kind Regards walker

You cant do that with a humvee passenger though. Right?

Hi Pots

I do not see why not.

Yes it will need some new animations and the addaction but I do not see it as all that hard to do technically.

I would expect it as a MOD in fairly short order a month perhaps two. The animations are the hardest part. Probably add it as a game logic function.

By the way you do know ArmA I had multiple turrets don't you? ACE had vehicles with 3 gunner positions for special forces hummers. I think there was also an example mod vehicle with 6 gun positions.

Of course AttachTo makes much more possible.

Kind Regards walker

The way a solution would look like was shown for VBS1, movement of vehicle and position of "walking" persons was somehow synced. The result was a very odd thing, on a lagging server you would see the truck driving and the person on the back would stay in the air and suddenly spawn back to the truck and so on.

If you are not keen on walking around, just firing seems easier. The human body model visualized in a cargo position would be able to use its waepon and turn the upper part of the body. Basically it would be defined like a turret. But still an odd workaround.

To make it REALLY possible to walk and shoot BIS must skip the current engine because I have doubts that an engine that can not simulate ordinary object collisions in a proper way would be able to simulate mechanical resistance, inertia etc in a good way.

Hence it is better to leave it as it is and hope for ArmA III.

Sometimes it wouldn't make sense, but I always thought that shooting out of the side of a Knighthawk (or the Blackhawk and MH-6 in ArmA) would be a lot of fun, even though you most likely wouldn't hit anything.

If supression worked, it wouldn't matter if you hit something :)

See norrins post on attachto command ..... will be the answer to your prayers :)

Is "attach to" the command burns used to make his "transformer" video?

EDit: Nevermind, it was used:

http://hx3.de/239748-beitrag10.html

As you see, exactly the odd visual effects I predicted.

Edited by S!fkaIaC

Hmm attachTo is only position attachment not vector? I noticed that when the truck turned the "attachTo'd" gun did not have its direction updated to match that of the truck's change.

I think the gun wont turn if noone is operating it. If a human is behind it though he can turn as he wants.

That's not what I'm talking about. If the gunner goes "hands off" while pointing north and the truck drives in a circle then his aim point should go around East, South, West, etc with the truck. It shouldn't be "stabilized" to always point north unless of course it's a stabilized turret like some Tanks / AFVs.

Edit: Watching some YouTube videos it's clear that attachTo does vector information as well as positional. It's just the fact that all turrets are stabilized in ArmA1/2 no matter if the base they are on is going around the moon. Annoying behavior but not attachTo's fault.

Edited by Frederf

That's not what I'm talking about. If the gunner goes "hands off" while pointing north and the truck drives in a circle then his aim point should go around East, South, West, etc with the truck. It shouldn't be "stabilized" to always point north unless of course it's a stabilized turret like some Tanks / AFVs.

Edit: Watching some YouTube videos it's clear that attachTo does vector information as well as positional. It's just the fact that all turrets are stabilized in ArmA1/2 no matter if the base they are on is going around the moon. Annoying behavior but not attachTo's fault.

This simply is not true. Try hopping into an A2 HMMWV as a gunner and order the driver drive around and turn in circles.

I mean, unless you don't have A2, in which case I would have assumed you would say "in A1 no matter what" instead of also including A2.

Whether or not this works with attachTo is a different question, but the core fact is that A2 models turret stabilization (or lack thereof).

Hey, that's good news. BIS has stated that turret stabilization (back in ArmA1) was something they threw in their because people were unhappy with non-stabilized turrets (couldn't hit a darn thing, especially multiplayer.)

The video walker posted looked like it was exactly how it was in ArmA1, but I guess it could be the AI gunner doing the "pseudo-stabilization." I don't have ArmA2 so I was basing my comments off of video evidence.