Sign in to follow this  
granQ

Muzzle flash needs variation.

IRL the rifle and ammunition manufactures are trying to reduce the muzzle flash. Not a good idea to blind the soldier and give away the position.

Mostly in movies and in mainstream games muzzle flashs are oversized and faked.

I guess that BIS didnt have or took the time to test and fine-tune all kind of muzzle flashs and smoke stuff. There are more other important things to fix before adjusting eyecandies.

Im surprised the community modders havent fixed this yet. Is anyone working on it?

Im surprised the community modders havent fixed this yet. Is anyone working on it?

There where some great muzzleflashs for ACE Mod in ArmA1.... if BIS will not fix it, i hope we will get a replacement by Mr. Sickboy.... ;)

But we got some nice surprises by BIS in the past..... who knows what we will get in near future...

Regards -rF- Culti

I don't care about the muzzle flashes in general but for the first person view your own muzzle flash could be way better. The more advanced the muzzle flashes are the more CPU/GPU you'll be using but with a system where only your own first person view muzzle flash is advanced you never have to render more than of them. Though this might be a bit more complicated to implement than it sounds.

Yes, the muzzle flashes are disappointing seeing as how the graphics are generally so good. Surely something that could be changed relatively simply in one of the next patches?

I certainly hope so, It's a huge immersion killer!

Hmm, the muzzleflash graphics are stored in the Weapons.pbo (\data\zasleh*.paa)

It's possible to make them full transparent => invisible by editing the alpha channel.

This would be handy, if its possible to replace them by a effect-script...

Maybe Maddmatt could leave a comment if its possible to replace the standard muzzleflashes with a scripted effect... He is the Effect Spezialist for ArmA ;)

BTW i found some scripts made by Maddmatt for Arma2 in the original CA.pbo (\Data\ParticleEffects\SCRIPTS\muzzle\flares.sqf)

I didn't know, that he was working together with BIS.

There's a lot you dont know my friend.

Me too. :)

C'mon Matt - give the guys some flashes already. :D Maybe in ACE2?

Alex

Hmm, the muzzleflash graphics are stored in the Weapons.pbo (\data\zasleh*.paa)

It's possible to make them full transparent => invisible by editing the alpha channel.

This would be handy, if its possible to replace them by a effect-script...

Maybe Maddmatt could leave a comment if its possible to replace the standard muzzleflashes with a scripted effect... He is the Effect Spezialist for ArmA ;)

Well technically you could do that, but making it look good as a particle effect would be extremely difficult. Muzzleflashes need a lot of fine detail to look convincing, and they need to be different for different weapons. That's why it's easiest to do them as part of the model.

I think it's best to wait until source models are released by BIS or until someone makes replacements. That will probably be a while though.

BTW i found some scripts made by Maddmatt for Arma2 in the original CA.pbo (\Data\ParticleEffects\SCRIPTS\muzzle\flares.sqf)

I didn't know, that he was working together with BIS.

I wondered how long it would be until someone found that :D

I wondered how long it would be until someone found that :D

It was obvious for me the BIS have to hire a Guy who fixed ArmA1 terrible effects :) They should also hire one of the "sound mods Guys".

It was obvious for me the BIS have to hire a Guy who fixed ArmA1 terrible effects :) They should also hire one of the "sound mods Guys".

The problem with that is that many "sound mod guys" tend to just look around the internet grabbing whatever sounds they can find, not caring if they may be copyrighted. As game developers, BIS have to make sure that the sounds they use are either of their own creation or at least licenced.

Maddog, there are loads of sound libraries available that don't cost alot. I guess BIS must have some but maybe they need to get some different ones ;)

It would only take 3 variations of the flash to look better. (Even 2 would help alot)

Sorry if this is stupid but what about animated GIF?

Just randomizing the size would also help (and is more realistic).

I'm affraid another thing that bugs me alot is the muzzle smoke. You don't get big puffy clouds that go out several feet when firing small arms. Machine guns it should have smoke effect but bit more subtle. I guess I'm alone in this opinion but I wish it could be reduced or optional :rolleyes:

Edited by EDcase

Your not alone and it will be sorted. Just give it time.

I wish they would fix this.

So maddog, is there no way to fix this until BI release the sdk?

So maddog, is there no way to fix this until BI release the sdk?

If BI don't fix it, then we'll probably have to wait until the SDK - unless it can be done completely through config work.

I think my suggestion from a few pages back would be fairly simple to implement. Moving parts on weapons are already possible, so making the muzzle flash rotate by 60° on every shot should should not be too hard to do and the effect would be enough for a start.

Do any of you know if muzzle flash is affected by weapon temperature in any way? I mean does it get smaller or larger as the weapon heats up from prolonged fire?

Edited by MrSandman

I really think that during daytime there should be no muzzle flash, just smoke.

(This is a Combat Simulation)

PLEASE; INSTEAD OF WRITING HERE; VOTE ON IT

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/show/2724

Do any of you know if muzzle flash is affected by weapon temperature in any way? I mean does it get smaller or larger as the weapon heats up from prolonged fire?

if you read the tread, you notice people are complaining of the STATIC muzzle flash. That doesnt change at all, no matter how many rounds you fire. A feature that been present ingames since..dawn of time. So, you think they would do a function that change depending on temp?

If you still dont figured it out, answer is no.

sorry for being harsh, don't mean it really but its like when people ask for features like that I feel a bit like.. annoyed. Who cares if the muzzle flash gets smaller after the pipe gets warmer (in consideration of world temperature ofcourse)... when we have all this non working, arcade stuff. Like a javelin system, missing muzzle flash and so on.

Sadly I am not sure if it would be enough to add more textures, like in ofp and it will use them randomly. (Easy fix) or if adjustment is needed on each weapon (will be such a big patch, bis wont fix it)

Edited by granQ

Lol that vid looks horrid :D

Well i always fire on semi so i didnt realy notice up till now

The muzzle flashes in this game are an absolute joke. I actually thought it was a graphics problem on my end, but seeing as everyones game looks like this I cannot believe. wtf were they thinking?

And all this time I thought it was just the settings I had to use on my clunker. Surprised that in this day and age we still have something like that left over form Duke Nukem:rolleyes:

*this thread deserve a kick*

In my opinion (which dont worth big since my only exp was in mil duty 10 yrsq ago), during night shooting excercise WE NEVER WAS BLINDED BY OUR FIRE...never. Even with Cal .50 MG on turret WE NEVER WAS.

Nothing to say that the flash was so quick you can only see it briefly during daytime if you really checked.

I wonder like other why we have SUCH UNREALISTIC thing in arma2 ? And still since arma (nothing to complain for ofp it was good).

Desperately wanting them to sort out the default muzzle flash, it looks so so so poor and ruins the immersion of night time completely !