Sign in to follow this  
granQ

Muzzle flash needs variation.

ArmA 1 had awesome modded muzzle flashes...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1vyq9QxmiU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1vyq9QxmiU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="320" height="265"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peLiFwujW9A&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peLiFwujW9A&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="320" height="265"></embed></object>

I ended up here after trying to find out if there was a graphics card issue with the muzzle flashes or lack of.

I have to agree with others that muzzle flashes are important as they are the only real indicator as to location of your enemy.

Unless you are going to add dust being sucked up off the ground as well as the occasional bad/wet powder and gun oil smoking effects.

In virtual war it is important enough, for the small effort required to mod the muzzle flash sprites.

Here we are heading towards Patch #5 and the beta still hasn't addressed this totally immersion killing flaw. (not a bug , just a programmers poor programming decision).

I really don't care whether or not they model the flashes (especially at night) realistically for each weapon , just get rid of that damned circle of blinding light that flashes before your eyes.

Reminiscent of Doom/Duke Nukem (think they had better muzzle flashes IIRC).

PLEASE!! It shouldn't be that hard to replace the graphics with something a little more representative of an actual RL flash.

Let's not talk for a while about how the muzzle flash looks but when the muzzle flash is (should be) visible. I don't really care how it looks during the day light (the smoke is sufficent) so let's focus on how it looks in the night when you're trying to find out where the hell the enemy is.

long distance (from an infantry point of view):

without NVGs - no muzzle flash, no dynamic lighting effect

with NVGs - all effects

middle distance (or zoomed in):

without NVGs - muzzle flash present, no dynamic lighting effect

with NVGs - all effects

close distance:

with or without NVGs - all effects

I'd expect the muzzle flash to be visible in most of the distances without NVGs...

EDIT: also the tracers aren't visible in the most situations - is my game alright :confused:

Edited by IronTrooper

Here is my "solutions":

1) A few random images, with "semirandom" rotation.

2) Double sided/textured flash geometry. Smaller version when seen behind the gun than when in front of it. Reason being that during a night fight (unless using NVG cheat), all you ever see and return fire on, are the flashes of light. Since resolution is limited on a computer screen, these need to be large enough to be seen from a distance.

@jawk2: Not my experience with AG3, .cal 7.62. I don't recall being "blinded", but it took some time (15 minutes or even more) to get eyes back into "night mode". In game, I don't feel "blinded" at all, like some apparently does, but more importantly, I *never* loose my night sight due to everything happening on a computer screen. That being said, I'm really glad the game doesn't try to simulate that :D In fact, the most blinding thing ingame is opening your map.

Edited by CarlGustaffa

I did try and make some muzzleflashes via a particle effect which turned out really good they looked all good as they were completly random and always looked slightly differnt. However getting these in to work on weapons was another story and i got very stuck.

Would it not be possible to just edit the muzzle flash texture and use it instead?

Would it not be possible to just edit the muzzle flash texture and use it instead?

If you edit the muzzle flash texture, you just get another kind of static muzzle flash.