gimpymoo

ARMA2 & OA's Steam Thread: All Steam Q's/discussions go here [covered by Dwarden]

I too purchased Arma 2 OA from Steam - and my system will launch the game, and then arrive at the Menu and then promptly crash back to desktop.

I have tried different drivers - and no luck. Bohemia - help! What's going on?

4GB

GTX260

i7 860

windows 7 32 bit

latest drivers from the Nvidia website

Error log from the windows crash:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: ArmA2OA.exe

Application Version: 1.52.71.612

Application Timestamp: 4c1ee15b

Fault Module Name: ArmA2OA.exe

Fault Module Version: 1.52.71.612

Fault Module Timestamp: 4c1ee15b

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 001010ee

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 0a9e

Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Additional Information 3: 0a9e

Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

I have got a screen shot of the error I'm receiving in steam, can someone please help me fix this. I have tried to run the zip file that was listed by dwarden in another thread, nothing is working for me. Thank you in advance for your help

please try revalidate your A2:OA file cache

---------- Post added at 08:43 ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 ----------

I bought both ArmA II and Operation Arrowhead via Steam. When I use a launcher or start the executable directly (Not using the Steam browser), ArmA II doesn't launch Steam at all, it just starts up the game. OA, however, starts up Steam with the "preparing to launch Operation Arrowhead" dialog before starting the game.

Is there a reason why one does but not the other? If possible, I'd like to have neither of them launch Steam at all. The only solution I have right now is to use the beta version of OA.

OA in STEAM use STEAM copyprotection scheme that's why You need launch it via STEAMclient

fixed.

Edited by Jedo

ok this may seem very noobish but how do I do that i have no idea

Right-click on the game in Steam, select Properties. Then go to the Local Files tab and click "Verify Integrity of Game Cache". It should then take some time to verify your files against the Steam download cache.

thank you, I did this for both arma II and Operation arrow head, and i still receive the same error

I need some help. I just bought the Arma 2 Combined operations pack. I first dowloaded Operation arrowhead then regular Arma 2. Now Arma 2 won't work but Operation Arrowhead will? Arma 2 says exactly this "Bad serial number given in setup." Thats what it says. Can anyone help me find out how to fix this? The sooner the better thanks!!!

Gee! I have the opposite problem

I bought Combined Operations pack, downloaded regular ArmA 2 first, then OA

Now regular AA2 is working fine, but OA is not.

But it does not show anything, not bad serial number or something like that

It's just when I click play the game, it just says "performing first time set up, step 1 of 3", over and over again, I could not even cancel it.

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 PM ----------

Okay! This Steam thing has me really miffed right now. I have tried everything since whatever patch was put out and I am getting nowhere. Combined ops was working fine for me before this. I have gone as far as totally uninstalling OA and re-downloading it. I have verified, ran arma 2 first then OA then tried combined ops. Nothing is working and before I uninstall both ArmA's (which is probably the answer) do any of you have a suggestion on what I can do? I just get a DOS window that comes on for a split second and disappears and I have no idea what it says.

Specs:

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

Asus Crosshair III

AMD 965 Black x4 @3.8ghz

Sapphire ATI 5970

8 GB's DDR3 1600 RAM

I have similar problem.

I bought Combined Operations, downloaded ArmA 2 first, then OA. Regular ArmA 2 works fine. But When I tried to play OA. Steam just shows "performing first time set up" over and over again. Sometimes, a DOS window also pop up for a few seconds, cannot get what it says!

Besides, I did run steam on admin, re-validating game file, run ArmA 2 regular first. But it is not working.

Still got that " performing first time set up", always, and it just will not stop

---------- Post added at 11:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 PM ----------

Furthermore

When I clicked "_runA2CO"

I got a DOS window pop up with the following message

attachment.php?aid=MTk5ODd8NzdlODEzNzV8MTI3ODcxODk1NXw0NTc2c0NUY0hiMHpERmptQVRMb0xtaEdXcUMzRUpOaEtwWWo4dlJZcVAycjVHbw%3D%3D&noupdate=yes

http://www.chinavme.com/attachment.php?aid=MTk5ODd8NzdlODEzNzV8MTI3ODcxODk1NXw0NTc2c0NUY0hiMHpERmptQVRMb0xtaEdXcUMzRUpOaEtwWWo4dlJZcVAycjVHbw%3D%3D&noupdate=yes

Edited by markhe

The supposed "fix" released for Combined Ops on Steam does not properly integrate the two game installations, all it does is start up OA with arma 2 as an expansion.

This does nothing to resolve the issues people have trying to run the steam version with mods.

The Steam version of OA does NOT allow the user to specify the installation directory (it automatically installs OA in its own directory regardless of whether and where Arma 2 is installed), so as it stands now it is impossible to install Combined Ops properly from Steam. You have released a broken product; this needs sorting ASAP. (OA should automatically install in the Arma 2 directory if it exists.)

Edited by Burawura

Hallo Guys,

after i have read nearly the complete 60 sites here, tried something out

and checking another few thread around the question "bad version..."

i have buyed Arma 2, month ago on DVD an installed it, never used any mods or something... due to my experience with mods not working and game crashing i play arma, arma2, and arrowheed in the "virgin version" without any mods.

i have bought and downloaded Operation Arrowhead over steam.

so i have arma2 installed and Arrowhead installed.

arma2 on my hdd under games and

arrowhead on my hdd under steam.

no i want to play on 2 servers, wich are very good. and also my friends are playing there.

please take a look at this screen from the server browser:

http://tv-clan.com/download/screens/OA_serverbrowser.jpg

there is an "Jägerbattaillon" and a "1 Parachute" - Server

as u see there is a red line marked under expension, saying "ca;expansion"

if i am trying to connect to one of these servers i will get the message

"Bad version, Server rejected Connection"

(but these are the only server with that error, u can see that by the red dot left hand of the server line)

as u can see in the browser the server version is 1.52.

this is my version of Arrowhead too (1.52), look at this screen

http://tv-clan.com/download/screens/OA_version.jpg

my arma 2 version is 1.07

http://tv-clan.com/download/screens/arma2_version.jpg

i started the game over steam with the "start Combined Operations" mode

i can see BOTH games in the expansions tab at the Arrowhead mainmenu, look here

http://tv-clan.com/download/screens/expansion_tab.jpg

so in my opinion, everything is fine but im still getting no access to one of these servers, and obvisiously there are players online on these servers.

if read something in this forum about

"disabling mods" - no need for that, didnt get some

"delete arma2 from "my documents"" - tried, didnt work

"create shortcut with infos like that "%_ARMA2OAPATH%\ARMA2OA.exe" "-mod=%_ARMA2PATH%;%_ARMA2OAPATH%\EXPANSION;ca" " - tried that - that didnt work also it is the exact same way the BI script starts the game if u choose "start arma: combined operations" from the steam popup.

Im running out of ideas here, my friends are at war and i cant help them :(

If there is any way to solve this problem, please help me.

sincerely

Spendecho

Sounds like the servers are running a Steam version. My members with DVD versions can't play on our server either.

Users who have ArmA2 and Operation Arrowhead off STEAM in 2 different folders and would like to launch Combined Operations through the Yoma Addon Sync tool should try to take a look at this thread

What Steam could do for us is to give us an option to download Combined operations as a seperate game.The DVD version installs in 10gig while my Steam install of A2 and OA is close to 20gig.I could use the free space.

What Steam could do for us is to give us an option to download Combined operations as a seperate game.The DVD version installs in 10gig while my Steam install of A2 and OA is close to 20gig.I could use the free space.

I agree fully. Technically they aren't out anything. We've actually paid more for the two separate games than the CO package. That would also alleviate ALL the problems of hosting Steam version servers and version conflicts.

I agree fully. Technically they aren't out anything. We've actually paid more for the two separate games than the CO package. That would also alleviate ALL the problems of hosting Steam version servers and version conflicts.

+1 :) :thumb:

As it stands now, is there any way to run mods that are installed into the A2 steam folder as a mod for OA (steam version)?

I find that I'm able to -@modname the commandline in OA for mods that I have installed to the OA steam folder, but not if those mods are installed to my A2 folder.

The reason this would be nice is so that I could use mods for each instance (either A2 or OA) without having to install them twice. Given I already have roughly 10 gigs of mods, I'd hate to waste any more room :/ I'm mostly wanting to use some sound mods for explosions, impact sounds, etc etc.

Thanks!

for mods

only what works is when using the manual method from the A2:CO sticky

via junction symlinks

the problem for mods lays in simple issue and that's unlucky character @ and long paths to expansion

so fix goes here...

this works nearly perfectly (some servers might show as red ? but most of them is joinable)

for A2:CO on STEAM

"%_STEAMPATH%\steam.exe" -applaunch 33930 "-mod=%_ARMA2PATH%;EXPANSION;ca"

either add params at end of the line

or add params to the "set launch options" like

for beta A2:CO

call "%_ARMA2OAPATH%\Expansion\beta\ARMA2OA.exe" "-mod=%_ARMA2PATH%;EXPANSION;ca" "-mod=Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\Expansion" -noplash %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9

where as %1 you pass e.g.

"-mod=@CBA;@_island1;@namalks;@panthera;@isla_duala"

all mods dirs must be present in the A2:OA main directory

no more stuck

Edited by Dwarden

Dwarden all mods dirs don't need to be in A2:OA folder, you can use full path for mods that are in ArmA2 folder.

This is my ArmA II : Combined Operatrions

"-mod=G:\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2;Expansion;ca;g:\steam\steamapps\common\arma 2\@cba;g:\steam\steamapps\common\arma 2\@sthud" -nosplash -noPatchCheck

ArmA II:Operation Arrowhead

"-mod=Expansion;g:\steam\steamapps\common\arma 2\@cba;g:\steam\steamapps\common\arma 2\@sthud" -nosplash

PS! As you can see i can use addons from ArmA II folder into ArmA II:OA but some addons may not work.

Edited by MJK-Ranger

Other than the _runA2CO.cmd, will there be a fix and is there an estimate?

Yes I can load addons, but it would be much better to just dump them in the A2OA root and enable / disable them via Expansion.

Would this be solved easily if Steam just could save A2OA in the same folder as A2? For those who have Steam for both games?

ranger i can't suggest your solution as perfect because there is limit on the commandline maximum characters ...

that's why symlink junctions are optimal

ranger i can't suggest your solution as perfect because there is limit on the commandline maximum characters ...

that's why symlink junctions are optimal

Dwarden, yeah i know :S But you can use your latest cmd file and edit the runs:

Your file:

:runs

"%_STEAMPATH%\steam.exe" -applaunch 33930 "-mod=%_ARMA2PATH%;EXPANSION;ca"

And with my example(STEAM users/CO):

"%_STEAMPATH%\steam.exe" -applaunch 33930 "-nosplash" "-mod=%_ARMA2PATH%;%_ARMA2PATH%\@CBA;%_ARMA2PATH%\@sthud;EXPANSION;ca"

Another example: CO:

"%_ARMA2OAPATH%\ARMA2OA.exe" "-nosplash" "-mod=%_ARMA2PATH%;%_ARMA2PATH%\@CBA;%_ARMA2PATH%\@sthud;EXPANSION;ca"

As you can see i like to have @CBA and @sthud from my ArmA2 folder.

I simple add %_ARMA2PATH%\@Your_MOD;

It works for me :)

Edited by MJK-Ranger

Is there any way to run RTE with the steam version of OA/CO?

I saw this thread, but I can't seem to get it to work.

Edit: Oh wait, just got it to work, didn't know I had to put "this addAction [""Start the RTE"", ""\ION_RTE\StartRTE_MP.sqf""];" in the init of my player. And I had to start @CBA, @CBA_OA, and @RTEditor with RTE Capture.

Edited by deathrat

A friend of mine is having this problem:

arrowheaderro.jpg

He downloaded, intalled\activated and played once with no problem. Second time, that appeared. Solutions? defrag game files, re-download, contact Steam Support (as this appears to be thei problem) ?

Thanks.