gimpymoo

ARMA2 & OA's Steam Thread: All Steam Q's/discussions go here [covered by Dwarden]

When I launch the Arma 2 via combined operations I can't seem to open the steam overlay. I can open it on the original arma 2 and oa but not through combined ops. Is this a problem with the game or is it on my end?

A friend of mine is having this problem:

He downloaded, intalled\activated and played once with no problem. Second time, that appeared. Solutions? defrag game files, re-download, contact Steam Support (as this appears to be thei problem) ?

Thanks.

tell him to try change steam download server in steam settings, then restart steam client and try run game again...

---------- Post added at 05:19 ---------- Previous post was at 05:18 ----------

When I launch the Arma 2 via combined operations I can't seem to open the steam overlay. I can open it on the original arma 2 and oa but not through combined ops. Is this a problem with the game or is it on my end?

revalidate A2:OA steam game cache and try again

don't forget you need run A2 and A2:OA once before using A2:CO mode

"Bhaz uses modified data: Arma 2"

I'm running a freshly installed Steam OA, no addons or combined ops, with arma2 installed seperately. Is this message normal for the steam version?

Hi, when I try to access the Addons, Dta, or userconfig folders in my operation arrowhead directory it says:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma2 operation arrowhead\Addons refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer, or on a network. Check to make sure that the disk is properly inserted, or that you are connected to the internet or your network, and then try again. If it still cannot be located, the information might have been moved to a different location."

The game runs just fine but I need to be able to access the userconfig folder to install certain mods. If anyone can help that would be swell. I am running Windows 7 64-bit.

if you mean messages when starting ARMA2:CO using the batch

then please take in mind there are 12 checks ,

so some of them might fail an return error about no registry found the key is if the game runs or not afterward ;)

In fear of sounding stupid, Ah well, I am used to it.

I have been looking around the forum and searching, but here goes.

I did DL the cobined steam pack. I bought ArmA 2 in a german "state" as I did not bother to wait for a english release, so I figured why not have it again. ( see, I support :):) )

Anyways. will it not be as easy as to copy OA into arma 2 or vice versa to make it combined???

I mean, as it is the same file structure and all?

Edited by Cato Larsen

if you have english OA and german A2 the OA:CO and OA will be in english ... (both run via OA binary)

if you have english OA and german A2 the OA:CO and OA will be in english ... (both run via OA binary)

Yes I noticed. Unfortunately I also noticed that since I have the german A2 installed from before, the new install from steam will also still be in german. I am from Norway, I speak absolutely no german except from sauercraut and lederhosen and so on.

But fortunately yes, combined ops will be in english, thank GOD. (or Bohemia in this case)

Cheers man.

Can anyone tell me when 1.52.71618 for steam will be released? Our MP server is running that for all the non steam users and I cannot get on as steam is currently only running 1.52.71612....

Cheers

if you mean messages when starting ARMA2:CO using the batch

then please take in mind there are 12 checks ,

so some of them might fail an return error about no registry found the key is if the game runs or not afterward ;)

The messages show up when I double click on the Addons, Dta, or userconfig folders in the Operation Arrowhead Directory. I thought it might be because of the way Steam might have installed ArmA 2 OA, which is why I posted here. Here are some screenshots that might help explain what problem I'm having:

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/1520/oadirectory.png

Note the symbols next to the folders that I am unable to access

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/6573/oaerrormessege.png

Message that comes up when attempting to open one of the 3 marked folders

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/9265/oafolderproperties.png

Properties of the folders says they do not have anything in them yet I am still able to run the game just fine! However, this means I cannot add any sort of files to those 3 folders making it impossible to install ACE2 or any mod like that. Hope this helps a bit!

ah it seems for some reason

these symlinks leads nowhere for you that's why they throw error

they not working properly if they work they would lead to ARMA 2 dir ones

please erase them and try post there what you used to get these symlinks

did you started ARMA 2 / OA at least once before running the manually cmd ?

I did start OA once when the download finished before I knew about the manual cmd stuff. As far as I know the symlinks were there when I finished downloading OA from steam. I will try erasing them and then running OA to see what happens

Hey fighter, I also have retail version of Arma 2, but I bought OA throguh STEAM.

Im lost, can you tell me how u got ACE mod to work for you?

First off I bought Arma 2 Retail, and I recently bought OA on steam, now I downloaded ACE for OA, I dled Dwarden's Windows file, and I combined all ACE folders, (From ARMA 2 to OA), and what I don't understand is how to and what to do for running it through steam. I love ACE mod. In my opinion its the best mod i ever seen. When I try to load it its says im missing a bunch of files like "Eventhandlers, and some addons", this is pissing me off. Can someone please help me with this?

Thanx in advance, Ringo:391::391:

Ringo. Cool that you love ACE, but your shouting makes my ears bleed :)

Well, about your problem, I am sorry but the whole Steam thingo is pushing my limits of patience aswell. I have been around since OFP days. Not in here, but with the games. Started with the first and bought OFP GOTY aswell. Same with ArmA 1 and now ArmA 2.

Always had retail versions of it. No issues with mods and never had to even think that there would be issues loading mods from mod folder setup.

When I bought ArmA 2 for our server at Simjunkies.com I got it via steam, but as I use a "Server tool" to start it with mods and all, I never had issues there either.

Now I bought OA via steam, and thought, as I bought ArmA 2 from a german site when it came out. Yes I could not wait the days for an english version (I am not german).

First stupid thing I did was to NOT uninstall the german version of ArmA 2, prior to installing Steam version, so my steam version of ArmA 2 is now only a updated german version aswell. OA works fine, but using modfolder shortcuts gives errors like you say.

All this startup via steamapp and so on has me bugged.

I mean... has not Bohemia taken out the diskchecker from the game with the 1.07 update? that is why I cannot understand why steamapps have to be involved at all really, after 1.07. I was hoping that it would be like other games, well some other games bought on steam. Dl like any other Direct to drive games and install and type serial. Like it was when I bought ArmA 2 from that german site.

In my opinion it would give shitload of less problems running combined and standalone and with or without mods.

Now that was somewhat of a rant towards that. On the sidenote, I think the product is absolutely fantastic.

OA runs great vanilla. No really need for any mods atm. ACE 2 has been on my computer since before the first stable release, but I am in no hurry to install that for OA yet.

I am sure I will, but Bohemia has done superb work enhancing and tweaking.

And I can easily say that it is the LEAST buggy out of the box release that bohemia has done. Thank you.

Hmmm. somewhat needless post now that I read it again, but it took me some minutes to write it that I will never get back, so I am not deleting :)

All right Ringo, we get your point but no need to shout it out loud ;)

First, I would suggest that you manually delete your @cba,@cba_oa and @ace folders and install the files again (make sure you put the new A.C.E. files and CBA + CBA_OA in your Op. Arrowhead folder).

Next, go to the _runA2CO.cmd file inside your Arrowhead folder, make a copy of it and rename the copied .cmd file to i.e. _runA2CO_ACE.cmd, then right-click on the batch file and choose "Edit".

Look for these lines at the end of the batch file:

:runs

"%_STEAMPATH%\steam.exe" -applaunch 33930 "-mod=%_ARMA2PATH%;EXPANSION;ca"

and change them to:

:runs

"%_STEAMPATH%\steam.exe" -applaunch 33930 "-mod=%_ARMA2PATH%;EXPANSION;ca;@cba;@ACE;@ACEX;@ACEX_SM"

Try to launch your game using the _runA2CO_ACE.cmd and see if it works - it does for me. :)

Edited by CoolFire

Hey coolfire, I did all that and it still does not work. I even went into steam verified integrity of the game and defragmented the cache files. It pops up that black dos looking screen, and does nothing. It scrolls through running everything and just sits, doesn't load.

Maybe their is something else I missed. And Im sorry for the bold text, and do appreciate your help. Thank you

Hey coolfire, I did all that and it still does not work. I even went into steam verified integrity of the game and defragmented the cache files. It pops up that black dos looking screen, and does nothing. It scrolls through running everything and just sits, doesn't load.

Maybe their is something else I missed. And Im sorry for the bold text, and do appreciate your help. Thank you

Roger that and no problem. :) Too bad it's still not working for you though. Did you try to take a look at Dwarden's first post in this thread?

Good luck.

Hi.

If it stop at the black dos window is because your probably have forgot to start ArmA2: Operation Arrowhead after you have run verified integrity. It is very important to run the game after your have run verified integrity. It will make some change in your registry for OA that _runA2CO.cmd required.

After you have started OA (normal startup, no _runA2CO.cmd) then you can try CoolFire's description.

Hey there,

I was hoping to pick up ArmA 2 Operation Arrowhead at some point today, having picked up the original ArmA 2 during the Steam summer sale. Very impressive game, a real gem! However, reading the complete mess the Combined Operations package appears to be in at the moment, I'm going to hold off buying Operation Arrowhead until the reported problems are solved.

Is there an ETA for when the Steam Combined Operations install will be available? It's very difficult to tell what's going on when valuable information is spread between two developers across 100+ pages of discussion threads. Obviously, part of my frustration comes from the fact that Operation Arrowhead seems like such an excellent upgrade/expansion.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Caddrel

Hey guys, I am not sure if I am posting in the right place or has my question been answered (I've searched, and couldn't find an answer), but can you guys help me on how to make mod folders and working command lines (for ex: -maxmem and such) in ArmA 2: Combined Ops (I have non-Steam ArmA2 and Steam OA).

Thank you!

Read through this thread bro they have covered it all here

What they haven't done is actually fix the Steam issues. When are we going to see a dedicated server file for Steam that is CO compatible?

Edited by USMCLuke

What they haven't done is actually fix the Steam issues. When are we going to see a dedicated server file for Steam that is CO compatible?

you can already have it from public beta build ...

also the A2:CO mode available with STEAM is working for 99% people ...

and this 1% needs to come to me and i try to help them if i can ...

same goes for usage with mods, it's all already explained in first post and many afterward and dozens others threads ...

Hey guys finally got it working. stupid ass reason to. All i had to do was play it once after installing ace, without using ace. Once I did that; now it lights up like a dutch brothel. Thanx guys, gonna go shoot my fellow arma lovers in the face with the largest caliber weapon I can get. Thanx again, Ringo