gimpymoo

ARMA2 & OA's Steam Thread: All Steam Q's/discussions go here [covered by Dwarden]

I have a problem. i downloaded ArmA2 off of steam a few days back but i can not find where the ArmA2 folder is so i can install mods. please help:confused:

The best and most compatible way to install mods to is

My Documents -> ArmA 2

The only drawback atm is that community mod launcher do not know this. But advantages are huge, most important is that this way mods are separate from the game installation (e.g. you can reinstall the game to another location and everything will work).

yeah, but they are not the same version.

Steam: v.1.52.71612

Here: v.1.52.71816

( http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=10922 )

I can confirm this. The point releases are different. Not knowing what the current release is, I saw the point releases different and patched. Which didn't work.

---------- Post added at 07:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 AM ----------

USB sound problems figured out (least my problem).

New install of OA garbled up my sound both Arma2 and OA.

Arma2 worked perfectly prior. I launched OA and got whacky sound which I don't think broke Arma2, but somehow messed with the sound subsystem which made Vanilla Arma2 sound funny after trying to run OA.

My setup:

Windows 7 64

4 Gig

USB headphones AND USB surround speakers.

Steam Arma2 and Arma2:OA

You have to DISABLE one or the other PRIOR to launching Steam. You can't just choose the default device but must DISABLE the one you aren't going to use PRIOR to launching Steam. If you disable after launching steam but prior to running OA, it will crap out. (It has to be fully DISABLED).

Not really a big deal but just an added step.

---------- Post added at 07:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 AM ----------

When you install OA it gives you an option of placing an OA icon on your desktop.. you agree, it places the ICON but when clicking it just doesn't do anything.

Fix: Delete the Icon that was placed during install.

Launch Steam and go into Games Library.

Right Click OA

Properties

General TAB

Click "Create Desktop Icon"

Close Steam

Clicky on Desktop Icon and it works.

I still think Arma2 on Windows 7 still doesn't manipulate the registry quite right.

Hey all , I'm getting strange error on startup:

no entry 'binconfig.bin/CfgVehicles\USMC.Solder.Pilot.Scope'

then when I press cancel the game starts , I have played the first mission through and the game seems to run ok but...

I have:

verified the game cache

downloaded the entire DX update and run as admin

restarted STEAM several times.

thanks for any help

Different build number does not mean it is really a different exe. And to answer: there is nothing in 71816 that would be important to have for Steam users.

yeah, but they are not the same version.

Steam: v.1.52.71612

Here: v.1.52.71816

( http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=10922 )

Different build number does not mean it is really a different exe. And to answer: there is nothing in 71816 that would be important to have for Steam users.

Good to know, thanks. :cool:

So how does the command line work in steam? With quotations/without? Same format as the regular target line?

So how does the command line work in steam? With quotations/without? Same format as the regular target line?

I just put in the parameters, like for instance:

-nosplash -world=empty

Just like that.

If what you say is correct then where is the dedicated server file (ArmA2OAserver.exe) that, as I have been led to believe, was included with the 1.52 71816 update?.........

Thanks Placebo, for the link, am I correct in assuming that the server file on its own will work with the steam version of OA?;)

Would it be possible for BI (or someone) to post an example server.cfg file and command line parrameters to start the server in the Combined Operations mode for an installation where both ArmA2 and OA are standard Steam installs?......

W7 64bit Pro

Thanks again, in advance.:bounce3:

Guys i beg your help i got OA from steam when i launch the game is gave multiple choices one of them is run Arma2 OA combined when i press it nothing happen, also when i run ARMA2 and go to multipayer it give me a message to get the 1.7 patch though i already have it Y?

Hey guys. I have ARMA 2 and bought Operation Arrowhead when it came out. I followed the instructions stickied on these forums to get the two of them together into Combined Operations. However, when I launch CO, 2 things happen:

- Under expansions, ARMA 2 shows unchecked/disabled and I can not enable it BUT it is enabled.

- It sees no other mods other than Arrowhead and ARMA 2.

When I launch with just Arrowhead however, it sees all mods except ARMA 2.

I have ARMA 2 updated to 1.07 and Arrowhead to 1.52. Both are on Steam.

Any help?

why on earth if I am patched to 1.07 from Bis did Steam have to re-download the entire game again?? I bought OA but was not merging them tried merge with OA new selection when launching OA in steam and then tried to launch my Arma2 and it gave me an unavailable message and is now pooched 7gb to dld again. I tried verifying files still now joy.

I just put in the parameters, like for instance:

-nosplash -world=empty

Just like that.

I load up a lot of mods, so when I go through Steam it just sits there for ages. I've had to launch the exe directly, which thankfully can be done even when Steam isn't on, in order to use all my mods.

Am I doing something wrong? I use the "Set Launch Options" button to define the mods and things like -nosplash.

Here's what worked for me:

I've had ARMA2 installed with the 1.07 patch applied outside of steam.

I purchased AO and it installed in its own folder.

After BIS added the "launch combined" feature to Steam I launched it and it didn't work so I tried the suggestion of running ARMA2 - using the Steam link in the Steam UI - and it started to DL the 1.07 version (yeah I know it sucked, but it's what made this all work.)

After it finished downloading I ran it once - using the Steam link in the Steam UI

Closed it.

Launched CO from the right click menu on AO in Steam UI and bingo there was Arma2 on the expansion page. Worked like a charm.

I think the important thing for me was running the games using the Steam links. I typically have my own shortcuts that point directly to the games as opposed to running through Steam. In fact if I run OA using a regular shortcut CO doesn't work and I would expect this because it is the Steam link for CO that runs a script to combine them - for that session only - so it appears that if I want to use CO I have to use the Steam links.

First post and i say HI

I payed the 50 for arma 2 and the expansion i dl the expansion and now i get a error message saying that file common weapons.pbo expected some large number got a lower number that expected

Hi all,

Thanks for the fix up for the issue with CO.

"Keep in mind that if you do NOT have Arma 2, and you install Arrowhead, you will NOT be able to play in this server. You must have BOTH.

For those who are not aware of how to find the server, just enter OCB into your search filter. Or IP 204.14.173.52 : 2312"

My problem now is that I cant play on my clan server. We're not sure if this is a server issue, or a steam/game issue atm. The server asks for CA;Expansion, and tells me I have a bad version and server rejects this version.

Edited by Dark Apostle

why on earth if I am patched to 1.07 from Bis did Steam have to re-download the entire game again?? I bought OA but was not merging them tried merge with OA new selection when launching OA in steam and then tried to launch my Arma2 and it gave me an unavailable message and is now pooched 7gb to dld again. I tried verifying files still now joy.

i'm sorry this is how steam works , it replaces whole files

there will be update soon to the merge script which fix it for these who has vista nad low user rights account

(you can download it from sticky in general section here)

we will work with Valve to resolve remaining issues and make the merged mode same as for retail version (to use mods)

it's just not as easy as it looks

and we want to avoid issues which would result in "unforseen consequences" :cool:

---------- Post added at 10:48 ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 ----------

Hi all,

Thanks for the fix up for the issue with CO.

"Keep in mind that if you do NOT have Arma 2, and you install Arrowhead, you will NOT be able to play in this server. You must have BOTH.

For those who are not aware of how to find the server, just enter OCB into your search filter. Or IP 204.14.173.52 : 2312"

My problem now is that I cant play on my clan server. We're not sure if this is a server issue, or a steam/game issue atm. The server asks for CA;Expansion, and tells me I have a bad version and server rejects this version.

also fixed with the new version of script

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=101214

"unforseen consequences" :cool:

...I see what you did there. :D

Hello all! first of all, i love ArmA2 OA!.....but i have a few questions about steam

1: i bought ArmA2 from Direct to Drive, then i bought Operation Arrowhead from Steam...so steam dosent really know i have ArmA2 on my computer..but...when i hit launch combined OP it works!! so technicly im playing ArmaA2 for free........how does that work out?

2: when i hit launch combined OP from steam how do i add command lines and were to i put mod folders? (for Operation Arrowhead alone you put mod folders in my documents>ArmA2..but not for combined OP)

I hate to ask more questions in threads this long but I had bought combined ops as one package I want to know how to set up a combined ops short cut instead of launching Arma 2 or arma 2 oa I just want to always launch the combined ops and I want to be able to set up my mods in a short cut which steam always screws up. Anyone help me with this???

1: i bought ArmA2 from Direct to Drive, then i bought Operation Arrowhead from Steam...so steam dosent really know i have ArmA2 on my computer..but...when i hit launch combined OP it works!! so technicly im playing ArmaA2 for free........how does that work out?

No you're not, you bought it from Direct to Drive. Combined Operations just launches them together.

We're just hoping that the Steam/BIS issue is resolved (very) soon. We have a bastardized version running on our dedicated server to make it work (Steam + the 1.52 non-Steam patch for the dedicated Windows server files), but can't run the server in CO mode, only in OA stand-alone. This way works for most of our community members, but the guys who bought the CO DVD version are still assed-out. Not to mention no one can currently use CO content or missions on our server, just ArmA 2 or OA stand-alone.

We were contemplating buying CO on a new Steam account (instead of the account we're using now, which is my personal Steam account that only has ArmA 2 and OA separate) and running that on the server, but we're not even sure who that would allow to connect.

This game series has a small, but strong following, especially among actual military members like my group, MilitaryGaming.net, but these version conflicts are really destroying our ability to hold that small community together since we as admins have to jump through hoops to make this work. I just spent the last 12 hours trying to get CO working (again) on our dedicated server only to go back to where we were at.

Everyone involved needs to get on the ball and get the versions to where they're all compatible with each other. If the fix for Steam is to give everyone who owns ArmA 2 and OA the CO version, then they need to ante-up and do it. People paid good money to play these games, and right now they're only getting half of the bargain.

A lot of us are wishing OA hadn't even been released since we were happy with where ArmA 2 had gotten to among the modding community, but now that we've had a taste of the new functions and features going back to playing regular ArmA 2 would turn a lot of people off. I'm getting so disgusted over this whole mess that I don't even want to fire up the game myself, and I've been a dedicated fan since OFP.

Edited by USMCLuke

Well The one I got is from Steam and it doesnt launch right personally i think this should all fall back on steam and we should get them to fix the damm thing or stop using them fast as a community

Works fine for me and we have a server running with Arma2 and OA stuff.

How is the CO version different from having bought OA and Arma2 separately anyway?