gimpymoo

ARMA2 & OA's Steam Thread: All Steam Q's/discussions go here [covered by Dwarden]

Does anyone know what time the game is going to be unlocked on steam? Would be nice if it was 12:01 on the 26th so we don't have to wait till the evening or something.

Apologies if it has been asked before, but is it possible to register a retail copy with Steam? (like with the Valve games)

It had been asked several times, but no answer yet.

It had been asked several times, but no answer yet.

Hope this happens only a few games can register in steam.

Hope this happens only a few games can register in steam.

Yeah I hope too, it is an awesome game.. but on Steam it is 15€ more expensive than retail :( (33€ in czech e-shops, 48€ retail) .. if it'll can be registered through Steam, I will instantly buy it..

Would be nice if we could pre load this at least a few days before it comes out.

k i did the ask a question in the support page hopefully they contact back soon

It shouldn't take long to respond to you. The last time I had a purchasing issue with Steam, they had blocked/denied my debit card number, but for good reason in fear that it was fraud (I had entered some information wrong along with the number that made them suspicious, so I appreciate the concern they showed). After a quick two emails, the matter was explained and sorted in one evening.

just to keep You in touch, nothing is forgotten the FAQs are coming but atm there are more importants things (like the patch and demo :)

I have quite a few questions about Arma2 on steam, I really don't like having DRM/Spyware on my system, so I see fit that I should ask these questions.

-Is there spyware, does the game spy on your activities? Does the game leave its data directories and its own memory?

-Is there any software that detects "unauthorized" applications to prevent the game from running? (such as iso mounting programs)

-Is there DRM and if so what type?

-If DRM/Spyware is included, why is it included even when it will be cracked within a few days if it is not already cracked and removed?

-How does that "FADE" system detect an "unauthorized" copy, does it scan your computer?

-Is the game compatible with linux, will it work in wine?

thanks in advance.

Edited by Razermatt

I have quite a few questions about Arma2 on steam, I really don't like having DRM/Spyware on my system, so I see fit that I should ask these questions.

-Is there spyware, does the game spy on your activities? Does the game leave its data directories and its own memory?

-Is there any software that detects "unauthorized" applications to prevent the game from running? (such as iso mounting programs)

-Is there DRM and if so what type?

-If DRM/Spyware is included, why is it included even when it will be cracked within a few days if it is not already cracked and removed?

-How does that "FADE" system detect an "unauthorized" copy, does it scan your computer?

-Is the game compatible with linux, will it work in wine?

thanks in advance.

Are you asking about Steam specifically or in general? For the Steam version nobody can answer as it's not released yet and thus nobody tried it, and we got no official responses yet.

For the non-steam version, I'll try to answer to the best of my knoledge, but can't guarantee correctness:

-Depends if you define Securom as spyware... Look up Securom on google or whatever for more information.

- Securom definitely (at least) detects stuff like Dameon tools and the likes.

-Again, Securom for verifying CD in drive for CD versions, and installation limit for downloaded versions. Whehter Steam will have any is unknown.

-Because including DRM makes you actually have to search for the crack, and you know how much people suck at searching.

-Not much is known, but it seems that an improperly modified arma2.exe causes this (as well as duplicate CD-keys on a server?).

-I don't know, but why use linux for gaming? It's like driving to work with a motorboat - sure it works in some cases but in general it's very inappropriate ;)

For Steam games generally Steam itself is the only sort of DRM.

If a game has third party DRM (IE Securom) it will say it in the game info).

Steam doesn't blacklist any programs and as far as spying goes...yeah, they sometimes have survevys and server statics and such to collect data.

All of which they public for people to see (IE what specs people have, etc). Nothing personal or such.

the steam overlay isnt working when i add the game to steam :(

I hope it works with the STEAM version.. I know that sounds stupid but it is the same 1.02 version.

I hope bis and steam make it possible for people with the DVD to register the game on steam.

Obviously, VALVE charge for that so it is an un-needed expense.

If you want it on STEAM, buy it on STEAM :)

I wonder if we need to go ahead and get the 1.02 patch, or if it will be included with the Steam release.

You'll know when you get the game. If it isn't patched to 1.02, i'm sure it'd be no problem to manually do so. If you want, d/l the patch now and have it ready before you preload/download it from Steam, just in case.

The steam version will be 1.02 so no need to patch on release day.

I don't think it's a good idea to manually patch a STEAM game from a non-STEAM source isnt it? I heard somewhere that games under STEAM should always be patched by STEAM itself.