Sign in to follow this  
funnyguy1

ARMA 2 DE 1.01 (final) Impressions - Post ALL Impressions/Videos/Screenies Here

505 version is 1.01xx and we hope, that same day we will able to give you patch 1.02

Can't wait. I hope the MP/Warfare problems will disappear.:)

Great, released when, 2012?

First people whine about no feedback from the developers, then a developer gives an answer to something and all you can do is troll with sarcasm? Either lose the attitude or find yourself another forum to use.

Good to know,

Don't want to sound like I'm kind of pushing my luck far, but it would be great if you increase the AI DISPERSION values for most of weapons in order to make combat more intense and immersive.

I have already done that for a personnal use but it would be great to see this implemented by default.

Regards,

TB

It would be an excellent idea !

maybe you could give us a tutorial too ?

Thanks ohara for all the infos. :yay:

Whats so strange about it? Theres a plane to the west. Kinda poorly worded though, but unless they are going to be recording ten thousands sentences for every voice, thats how it tends to be.

Edited by sparks50

Ohara can you please confirm if the muzzle flash will be changed, or at least have different types? It's a huge immersion killer.

Whats so strange about it? Theres a plane to the west. Kinda poorly worded though, but unless they are going to be recording ten thousands sentences for every voice, thats how it tends to be.

There are speech synthesizers which sound better than that.. If you make an effort you can create more fluent sound files too. I expect something better than this from a professional developer. It's simply bad though for me it's just a minor part of the game and I'm not really bothered by it. If they have the same view on it as me then they could have implemented a speech synthesizer instead which would give us far more flexible dialogue posibillities.

About Text to Speech, I use those for work, and they're great :

Interactive Demo

Much better than ATT and standard Arma Voice... They're a bit pricey and heavy though (300Mo per voice or so).

Though there's a SDK to add to you own application.

Bye The way: Thanks for the info O'Hara

Edited by EricM

Yes, I'm not saying the voice systems do not have a potential to be much better.

But even the multi billion dollar company Codemasters has the same bad sounding speech in their DR, so you have to cut that small Czech studio some slack. :)

I'm posting a new topic because the first impressions thread's getting a little off-topic from the last time I looked.

The game is a triumph, absolutely fantastic, 100% improvement from Arma ( don't want to dwell on it too much but it was sluggish and just hard work) Operation flashpoint (I've played flashpoint ever since 2001, in fact, when the multilayer demo was released) has been completely re-captivated and improved on, everything is smooth and spot on. I know there's a few bugs out there but in reality they are very minor and in my opinion it's just frightening how good this game will be on come later this month.

It's a real achievement and when the game is on the market after 505 release theres no reason why It wont take off like OfP. Tastes vary but it blows the COD and BF series out of the water in terms of pure originality and effort. I really hope this release get the recognition it deserves in the mainstream.

Yes, I'm not saying the voice systems do not have a potential to be much better.

But even the multi billion dollar company Codemasters has the same bad sounding speech in their DR, so you have to cut that small Czech studio some slack. :)

It's not as bad in DR.

One huge improvement would be that there wouldn't be several voice actors in a single report line. Sometimes the speaker changes after every word - what's the point in that? It certainly isn't a cost thing. BIS pulled it off in OFP.

lapa: what's the one thing BIS had in OFP that they don't have now? That's right - Codemasters. Since CWR was not able to use the original OFP voices, that means they were copyrighted by Codemasters, meaning that they provided something substantial to get them, probably the money and the voice actors. BIS has to spend money elsewhere rather than the vocal area, I think.

LOL, they put a copyright on the voice actors?

On the voice files they created for OFP. The voice actors are probably out of BIS' budget.

lapa: what's the one thing BIS had in OFP that they don't have now? That's right - Codemasters. Since CWR was not able to use the original OFP voices, that means they were copyrighted by Codemasters, meaning that they provided something substantial to get them, probably the money and the voice actors. BIS has to spend money elsewhere rather than the vocal area, I think.

You make a valid point. However, to me the reporting system in Arma1 and Arma2 at least appears to be very similar to the one in OFP. For the lay person, the core functionality seems to be the same. Appearances can of course be deceiving.

Where the systems between OFP and Arma1/2 differ is that for some reason in Arma1/2 there's a huge variance in the sound "blocks" from which the lines are built. In principle variance is a good thing, certainly when compared to the monotonic voice in OFP. However, the implementation of the said variance seems very random, at times comical. It may well be, as you said, that the implementation/recording know-how came from Codemasters.

I don't know if there are multiple voice actors in Arma1/2 or if BIS has altered one voice actor's sound clips. In any case, the result sounds weird.

I actually found it better in Arma 1 : it was robotic, but at least there wasn't 3 different effects in the same dialogue (clear/noisy/radio/echo/clear ???).

Scripted Campaign dialogues are good though.

There are actually multiple voice actors who have varried their pitch between characters that they play. For example, the guy who does Coops' voice in Arma 2. The same dude did the voice of Colonel Blake in OFP: Elite, a miscellaneous soldier in ArmA as well as the spec op in Blood, Sweat & Tears, and Wilks' voice in Queen's Gambit. One of the other voice actors played the informant in Blood, Sweat & Tears, as well as Kurt Lambowski in Queen's Gambit. They don't seem to have as many voice actors as they did for OFP.

I've got to ask this. I've been playing OFP since the beginning and skipped ArmA because I didn't like it. I'm now hooked on ArmA 2 but aside from performance issues there's one thing that constantly bothers me. In ArmA (2), right mouse button zooms in much more than it did in OFP. This results in switching/morphing of LODs of trees and bushes all the time. Am I the only one who finds this extremely distracting? Even at relatively close distances, bushes changing shape after zooming in is very noticeable during gameplay.

On the voice files they created for OFP. The voice actors are probably out of BIS' budget.

Yeah, I think they're proper actors. Dunno if the ones BIS hires are. Haven't played ArmA2 yet, but OFP:E and ArmA1 wasn't exactly convincing.

Trivia: Armstrong in CWC is playing some corpsman/medic-guy in Generation Kill. Thought I recognised his voice so I looked it up. :)