Sign in to follow this  
hoak

North America Release / Publisher

OMG Gamestop sucks! They had it ready for 29th of June, which is tomorrow, but now it says 7/7/2009! Aw come on, what the hell do I do now?!
Cough!

Buy the game for the love of...!

:D

Hi. I was wondering, Is there any talked about a stand alone version of this game in the near future?

I bought it through steam, I probably should have looked around more, but I also don't mind buying it again if I can get a retail boxed version, not dependent on external services, such as steam. I'm not complaining, I'm just wondering because this is such a great game, it would be a shame if steam ever shut down, or went off line, which is a story I hear sometimes.

I thought ArmA-I looked amazing, but this is unreal! Some of the textures in ArmA-II are so real I feel like I'm on vacation, not to mention the very real water! The team did an excellent job on this one! icon14.gif

Edited by starstreams

i hear usa release of 505 retail is supposed to be 07/07.... not sure though.. i got mine here :) but then .. this is europe :p

Where do you live? If you live in America you can order a hard copy version from Newegg.com on the 30th.

Where do you live? If you live in America you can order a hard copy version from Newegg.com on the 30th.

Yes, I live in the US. Thanks guys! that is great news Praelium! I really...really..really can't stand having steam using resources while I'm playing. I mean, as it is ArmA-II uses a ton of resources, and having a content service running just increases the probability of some kind of conflict, or other issues down the line. Thanks Praelius for providing the date btw. Looks like tomorrow is the lucky day.

By the way, I'm assuming this retail box won't need to be activated through a content service, despite the fact that it can run without the service, will it still need an online connection to do the first activation? I already have the steam files backed up, so if the retail box still needs to be activated to run, then I won't bother. The reason I ask is, when I bought the HalfLife2 retail box, I still had to have Steam running.

OMG Gamestop sucks! They had it ready for 29th of June, which is tomorrow, but now it says 7/7/2009! Aw come on, what the hell do I do now?!

Go get it from game.co.uk, you will get it in 4-5 days, plus it's slightly cheaper than gamestop even with shipping cost.

I had a question about the direct downloads. Anyone know of any issues running 3rd party mods and apps with ARMA2 direct downloads? A friend said there was an issue with the first ARMA direct downloads not being able to load 3rd party apps.

I want to get the direct download for the reason of wanting to play right away but I love modding the game and being able to load mods.

I used a third party download for Arma1, installed all the mods & apps I wanted, never had an issue, also had no issues updating the game files. I used Steam to download Arma1, but didn't run Steam while playing, updating, ect... I only used Steam to buy/download.

With ARMA2, I got the game from Nexway and have had no problems was so ever.

Buying & downloading the game is no different the buying a DVD, they both contain the same digital info that gets put onto your PC. I'm not sure what problems others have had, but loads of players on Tournament Community (AGW) have bought the game online via download & none of them have reported any issues using addons, mods, updates, ect....

Enjoy!

Anyone check gamestop and ebgames latetly? They pulled ArmA II from the websites. The only ArmA game they list is ArmA I now.

Anyone check gamestop and ebgames latetly? They pulled ArmA II from the websites. The only ArmA game they list is ArmA I now.

Our Canadian member just stated the same thing, and he pre-ordered his from EB in Canada. Now he has to go get his refund.

I was just going to post this-^ Gamestop said that it was canceled by their corporate office?? I went in to pay it off 15min ago and every gamestop I have called from Mississippi to California that I have a number for and I know people there said its been canceled completely. Whats going ON? I had to get my refund because it was pulled completely from their computer systems and website......i honestly dont want to download it and prefer a hard copy of a disc in hand but have had the release on preorder which just had to be refunded. I wonder if amazon is going to pull the same thing even though its still listed as a retailer on the official page. I'd be even willing to wait until the "4th" ship date from amazon but I dont need to wait all that time just to hear a week or two later when I ask where my shipment from them is that it was canceled from them.........

Edited by trailblazen

So where can I buy ArmA II off the shelf in the US? Back to google. :)

Someone from BIS should find out whats going on with Got Game Entertainment, and US Retail Store Distribution

Edited by SGT_2AD

Here is a link to a website tracking game releases and it has arma being removed from EB/Gamestop

http://www.gamestracker.com/buy-arma-2-compare-prices-pc.htm

---------- Post added at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:13 PM ----------

just looked at Got Game Entertainment which I think is the North American distribution company and its showing backordered.....hmmmmmm

Edited by trailblazen

so in the end its a Distro problem.....interesting though how Gamestop just completely removed it from its system instead of just saying backorder lol.

Can't speak to the Gamestop/EB Games issue, maybe they did cancel their order for the game.

I got mine through GoGamer.com, the 505 UK import version.

yeah i'm tempted to break down and DL the Steam one. im downloading the demo ATM to give it one more look before commiting to buying it via steam (still prefer to have something hardcopy in my hands as oppossed to just DL it)

Well if it's a DVD you wanting to "hold", then buy the download version, & then once your done installing & playing the game some, copy the files you DL onto a few DVD's & you will have the same thing as buying it from the store, the content is exactly the same.

Then if for some reason you have to reinstall the game, you will have all the content you need. It's the same thing no matter how you slice it, you can even make your own niffy ARMA2 DVD box if you like, they sell the blank ones pretty cheap.

Well if it's a DVD you wanting to "hold", then buy the download version, & then once your done installing & playing the game some, copy the files you DL onto a few DVD's & you will have the same thing as buying it from the store, the content is exactly the same.

Then if for some reason you have to reinstall the game, you will have all the content you need. It's the same thing no matter how you slice it, you can even make your own niffy ARMA2 DVD box if you like, they sell the blank ones pretty cheap.

You don't get the nice looking manual. Plus it does'nt exactly look the same lol

The only problem with Steam is the patching system, when/if BIS releases a 'beta' patch you generally aren't able to install those on the Steam version and or you have to wait for the patch to be pushed through Steam.

The benefit of not needing the DVD in the drive is a good one though.

wow, this has been posted so many times, in this thread alone, please don't take my comments the wrong way guys, but Steam does not interfere with beta patches, addons, mods, updates...... I've used it for over a year now, installed all the beta patches for Arma1 that came out, I never used Steam to update the game, I never even had Steam on while playing, patching, ect....

Steam has nothing to do with BIS content other than a source to buy & download the game, that's it. I know that other games that are directly connected to Valve/Steam do require Steam to be running, but not Arma1 or ARMA2. Once the game is downloaded & installed, you can go to the games directory, create a desktop shortcut & never turn Steam on again. You can update the game, put addons & mods, it's really not a hard thing when you understand how it works.

Steam is not a bad thing really, it's only just another way to buy & download the game. If you worried about Steam then buy the DL version from Nexway, problem solved.

I thought the retail patches had the securom .exe in them, that messes up with the Steam version because it uses Valve's protection.

regardless, now that BIS seems to be direct publishing over Steam things will hopefully go smooth for those users.

I bought mine off of Newegg on the 30th... the day it was supposed to be released, but now im on hold because they dont even have it in stock atm, so im waiting and its killing me!!!!

I bought mine off of Newegg on the 30th... the day it was supposed to be released, but now im on hold because they dont even have it in stock atm, so im waiting and its killing me!!!!

Knew that was gonna happen with most other US online/stores after my discovery today and the hunting around the net. Sorry to hear it my friend, was in same boat (actually they cancelled my entire reservation at Gamestop so yeah I feel ya). Hang tight or ask for a refund and DL from Steam. I more or less am doing one last decision making ploy and dl'ing the demo before dropping the money for the steam DL version game.

Edited by trailblazen