Sign in to follow this  
hoak

North America Release / Publisher

I'm a modder and looong time OFP, Arma mission developer and I just downloaded the Steam version because I couldnt wait for Gamestop to get their thumbs out of their a**es.

I want to address these claims that Steam will be as good as a hard install.

Its not.

mods are harder to load, you put any mod in the init and steam goes thru some funky scan bullsh*t that takes forever. similarly, there's no clean way to set startup variables since you're using the steam applauncher and not the arma2.exe. If you do add startup params to that Steam gets totally confused and has to figure out what the f**k is going on before it can kick off the exe. And if you change those params you got to sit thru this whole steam dog and pony show again. And if you do try to go around that and launch the arma2 executable? .... good luck, steam sh*ts all over your HD. You can plain old forget overwriting a base pbo. Updates that occur when you're not prepared for it to do so, tanking your session and not allowing you to run it. Go offline, RIGHT AWAY to avoid this. It goes on and on and on.

I've played with it now all day. I can say using Arma2 with Steam is a COMPLETE Pain In The A**. And I'm not new to this, or to software development in general, been writing software for over 20 years.

The moment a hard copy becomes available locally for sale I will be buying it, and I recommend anyone who mods or uses mods or sets startup params to do the same.

Cliff's Notes: From a Steam Arma2 user: AVOID STEAM ARMA2!

Edited by Hillslam

(there are other d/l options that are less "intrusive" than Steam)

Just sayin'

Can sombody confrim if EB or Gamestop have arma2? I was going to pick this up today. :confused: I could get it of steam, but i have some older games i was going to trade in and get some kredit to go for this game.

pozz. EB or Gamestop is not selling Arma 2. BestBuy, Target, MicroCenter or Wal Mart will

Is Arma2 still not out in the US then? It came out on the 19th of June here in the UK, shame you have to wait.

this really sux, not really how you want to launch a new product. :(

I'm a modder and looong time OFP, Arma mission developer and I just downloaded the Steam version because I couldnt wait for Gamestop to get their thumbs out of their a**es.

Its not.

mods are harder to load, you put any mod in the init and steam goes thru some funky scan bullsh*t that takes forever. similarly, there's no clean way to set startup variables since you're using the steam applauncher and not the arma2.exe. If you do add startup params to that Steam gets totally confused and has to figure out what the f**k is going on before it can kick off the exe. And if you change those params you got to sit thru this whole steam dog and pony show again. And if you do try to go around that and launch the arma2 executable? .... good luck, steam sh*ts all over your HD. You can plain old forget overwriting a base pbo. Updates that occur when you're not prepared for it to do so, tanking your session and not allowing you to run it. Go offline, RIGHT AWAY to avoid this. It goes on and on and on.

I've played with it now all day. I can say using Arma2 with Steam is a COMPLETE Pain In The A**. And I'm not new to this, or to software development in general, been writing software for over 20 years.

The moment a hard copy becomes available locally for sale I will be buying it, and I recommend anyone who mods or uses mods or sets startup params to do the same.

I'd have to say that I agree entirely, which is why I'm never going to download the Steam version...or a download version at all. I'll order a 505 games version online if I have to, but it'd be pretty damn nice if they could just get this game to retail stores.

I'd have to say that I agree entirely, which is why I'm never going to download the Steam version...or a download version at all. I'll order a 505 games version online if I have to, but it'd be pretty damn nice if they could just get this game to retail stores.

Yah i was going to get it of steam, but after reading that comment i was really put off. Not going to do it.

I pre-ordered from EB Games a few weeks ago and now they have dropped it from the system. This sucks!!!

yah i called eb today and they could not find it in their system. :(

BestBuy has it

Backordered 1-2 weeks?

I'm not sure that really means that Best Buy has it (or ever had it). It sounds like they'd *like* to be selling it.

Backordered 1-2 weeks?

I'm not sure that really means that Best Buy has it (or ever had it). It sounds like they'd *like* to be selling it.

If you've read my post about the e-mail I got from customer support, you'll see a list of the stores that will be carrying the game when the shipment supposedly gets in within the week. Now the fact that the e-mail coincides with what I'm seeing on store websites makes me pretty confident they will have it, and not simply "wishing" they had it. Only time will tell.

Its not.

Could you give me a mod to test this out on? I haven't had any addons slow me down, or show the issues you mention, granted there are only a few available to test on.

What surprises me is, ArmA is about the best simulator game available, but when I call around to all the game stores in my town, no one has heard of it. I'm sorry, but these kids working at these game shops are brain dead if they don’t know what ArmA is. It’s not like I live in a small town either. This is Chicago.

Anyway, I’m seeing pages all over the net saying that the retail boxes will be in stores July 7th 2009,. But not one retail store had a box, that includes, Best-Buy, Frys, MicroCenter..ect. I know someone above mentioned that Best-Buy has it, but according to two different Best-Buy customer service locations, they don't even see any shipments lined up. What the heck is the deal. OMG the world is falling apart.

I own the steam version of this game, but I want to order the Retail copy. I already tried NewEgg.com, but they are only taking requests. I guess all we can do is wait!

Edited by starstreams

"ArmA" and "ArmA 2" will never be widely held games due to several reasons. Small marketing budget, and a small developer looking for a small distributor who is willing to distribute his product are the two main reasons for this. This is not putting BIS down, but it is just stating the fact. Furthermore, this game would not be considered a very popular game to the average gamer because it is more of a "Simulation" than a "FPS" game. Most gamers want a "Shoot-everything-that-moves" type games, and would simply become frustrated with the difficulty of playing these titles.

"ArmA" and "ArmA 2" really fall into the gaming category that includes titles like "Steel Beast PE", "Microsoft Flight Simulator", and "Silent Hunter 3". It takes quite a bit of time to learn the game.

Only time will tell.

Agreed. When somebody posts a picture of a row of ArmA2 boxes sitting on a shelf at a Best Buy....that's when I expect to see a post saying "Best Buy has it!"

Until then.....

---------- Post added at 12:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 PM ----------

i mean in store

You've seen this?

According to Best Buy, the product is currently "unavailable" in all 50 states (you can search products from their site). Online ordering from Best Buy lists it as "backordered".

I've got a number of friends waiting for the game to hit shelves. But obviously, it hasn't done so yet. Hopefully "soon".

I Carn't wait for the US to get the game....hopefully then we may have more PvP servers.I thought you guys were getting it on the 7th?

Edited by Cpt Bollock

There was little hope of meeting the projected distribution date of July 7th (given that BIS didn't contract with Got Game until June 22).

Think about the steps involved: Got Game orders the discs. Some Chinese company stamps them out and boxes them up. A shipping container crosses the Pacific. It has to clear customs. Trucked to a warehouse. Wholesale orders are boxed up and then distributed to retailers. *Then* the retailers will ship them to customers (and place the boxes on the shelves). A lot has to happen to get to that point and each step takes time.

If I recall correctly, the first ArmA hit the US a full month behind the Europe release.

There was little hope of meeting the projected distribution date of July 7th (given that BIS didn't contract with Got Game until June 22).

Your dates aren't correct, I worked on the Got Game press release on the 5th June, the contract was signed before then.