Sign in to follow this  
hoak

North America Release / Publisher

Here's the latest list of known North America resellers as of 11 June:

Armed Assault II is available to North America on Steam, and can be preordered now for $49.99 (U.S.)... GameStop and EB Games are accepting preorders for $49.99, not including Shipping & Handling... NewEgg has just added a pre-order option for ArmA II for $46.99, with their lowest cost shippign option typically around $3.00...

Outside the Americas, CD WOW! headquartered in Australia and China will let you pre-order for $39.99 Shipping & Handling is included -- and they do ship to the U.S., Canada, and Mexico; after you register an account in English you're given the shipping options to your country.

You will also be able to download English versions of the game from all the European direct download Resellers indicated BI site and elsewhere on this forum when they announce, like Sprocket IDEA at current (that day) exchange rates to your currency...

:D

Edited by Hoak

:rolleyes:Generally this close to an announced release for most games we see their appearance, target release dates, and pre-order options in most of the retail channel where games can be purchased.

Unfortunately, just as events unfolded with ArmA -- I don't see AmrA 2 presented by any North American Retailers for pre-order...

While I want to support BI, I don't want a repeat of my ArmA purchasing experience where I buy three copies of the game -- German, Downloadable, and finally months later one for my market and language.

Has there been any announcement of whether there will be a separate publishing arrangement for North America? Or, are there any retail arrangements that have been made with the previous Publishers for North America so that we can anticipate where we'll be able to buy the game without ridiculous delays and additional cost overhead?

:confused:

Yes, I searched the forum...

:rolleyes:

Let me ask you Hoak, because I am thinking of doing the same thing with ArmA II that you did with one. You bought the german version and everything worked fine with it? No problems?

I prefer a disk, but I am very anxious to get this game.

Edited by SGT_2AD

It was a bit of a headache/disappointment; the German version was of course in German, and I'm not fluent... There was a community made translation out some time after the release did a superb job of translating which helped a lot, but, where this all fell down was there not many people from North America willing to go through all the hoops, pay full boat Euro prices for something not in their language, and/or additional ridiculous shipping charges for those that wanted a hard copy -- so there just weren't any/many North American servers until retailers started carrying 'import' versions of the game.

What really confounds me is that North America is an enormous market for BI, where their sales have suffered substantially as a consequence of not making some sort of publishing arrangement or investment here. Even taking a substantial hit on their margins would be better and smarter business for them in the long haul and over-all income... By way of example of the scale of the market; the original Ghost Recon has sold over fifteen million units, continues to sell well, and is still technically 'in print' ...

I personally could set up a BI North America Contract Publishing Arm, that would be more profitable then what I'm sure current practice has done for them, or will if it's what they go forward with for this market -- though their unit margin would probably be less then they have grown to expect from the 'home market'...

I honestly don't know what to recommend to you though; if it's offered in the UK without too much delay sometimes games can be had for reasonable price and shipping cost directy, often clever eBay eTailers pick up on a situation like this and make an eStore that offers a reasonable intermediate price point, and less wait time, and GoGamer is also an eTailer that often stock 'imports' at reasonable prices early (though they have not announced carrying ArmA II and didn't carry ArmA I early either).

All this takes be back to my previous point though -- it's absolutely stunning that BI is so lacking in business savvy in approaching the North American market; if these small time operations can do so swiftly and profitably on imports... One look at the numbers for the genre shows it's absolutely fool-hardy not to do something, even it were to do it by sub-contract... I'm a BI FanBoy, but I won't be paying extra, or buying a non-English version of ArmA2 just to get it early this time -- but then I do have VBS2 to keep me occupied.

:)

Edited by Hoak

The "european" ARMA2 will be english and its out 26th June. That one you could buy. I mean if it doesnt land at the same time in the US. But im in Sweden and we play english spoken/subbed/menued games always. But it should be out 26th june wich is about a month from now.

That's good news! Sadly shipping to North America is often nearly as much and sometimes more then the price of the game, and now many Euro Retailers won't even ship to North America...

The whole situation is really ridiculous though, and while BI are clearly brilliant Developers, their business savvy is really questionable and somewhere below the basement -- which really hurts them more then anyone...

:butbut:

Edited by Hoak

Maybe you'll be able to buy it through digital download. Who knows.

It's odd that 505 Games has a North America site, but unlike the Europe site it makes no mention of ArmA II...

Does anyone know why?

:butbut:

It's not the official publisher for the North America area. There is currently no publisher known for that.

Nb : It was Atari for ArmA.

The contract between 505 Games (Europe division) and BI is an Europe-only distribution. Same as for ArmA: Armed Assault.

At that time it was Atari that got their hands on the US distribution, unfortunately problems in Atari has led to the closing of their European offices and a more digital download focus for what's left of Atari (NA). I'm assuming, because of this, Atari is not a likely candidate for the NA distribution.

This time it might actually be some time before we'll see a North American distributor. Not to fear though, there is always Play.com or Amazon.co.uk.

And hopefully someone will pop-up and give us an idea on who will eventually distribute ArmA2 in NA.

Edited by colossus

Thanks man! I think I'll wait and see. I'll let the germans buy first, and see how the feedback goes. I'm not gonna mess with translations and all that, don't have time for that.

It is strange about the NA Market, but very excited to see the date moved up to the 19th! WOO HOO!

This time it might actually be some time before we'll see a North American distributor.

It was last time too, ArmA was on the market for almost a year in Europe before Atari U.S. picked it up...

Not to fear though, there is always Play.com or Amazon.co.uk.

And hopefully someone will pop-up and give us an idea on who will eventually distribute ArmA2 in NA.

Unfortunately Play.com and Amazon U.K. no longer allow orders for games to be shipped to the U.S. or Canada -- so if you're counting on this as a way to get the game you're SOL...

:(

The contract between 505 Games (Europe division) and BI is an Europe-only distribution. Same as for ArmA: Armed Assault.

At that time it was Atari that got their hands on the US distribution, unfortunately problems in Atari has led to the closing of their European offices and a more digital download focus for what's left of Atari (NA). I'm assuming, because of this, Atari is not a likely candidate for the NA distribution.

Personally, I hope Atari has absolutely nothing to do with ArmA II in the US - they have taken a very unpopular stance on copy protection by implementing DRM that only allows you to install a game 3 times with no user control over revoking "activations". After you've used up your installs you're left to deal with a company that seems like it's on the verge of bankruptcy, with very sketchy customer support.

While its not listed yet on their site gogamer.com is well known for selling imports of popular games, in fact they still show the 505 version of ArmA in stock.

http://www.gogamer.com/searchresults.htm?keywords=arma&categoryId=&x=0&y=0

GoGamer is also an eTailer that often stock 'imports'...

If and/or when they are able to offer it -- it will probably be delayed just as it was with ArmA and for the same reasons... Some just won't want to wait nine months to buy the game in late 2010...

One possiblity -- though I certainly won't get my hopes up...

Personally, I hope Atari has absolutely nothing to do with ArmA II in the US - they have taken a very unpopular stance on copy protection by implementing DRM that only allows you to install a game 3 times with no user control over revoking "activations". After you've used up your installs you're left to deal with a company that seems like it's on the verge of bankruptcy, with very sketchy customer support.

Most of the download Publishers of ArmA used and continue to use this as well -- so Atari was hardly uniquely disappointing in this regard...

Edited by Hoak

I sale Kraft foods items to walmart and there are roughly 3200 stores in North America. Get me 32000 copies of ArmA2 and I can get 10 copies to each store.... Its pretty simple an Independent person can just go to Bentonville, Ark and if they can pitch the sale right they can sale millions in just North America. But we need someone for Bestbuy/GameStop...

Anyways I suggest a publisher that can handle some advertising cause I never see advertising for a PC game anymore... Its al consoles :(

EDIT: Just bought mine from amazon.de.. Just needed a little google help with translation and it took 2min.

Edited by binkster

Binkey! What was the total sticker shock with S&H? I've read elsewhere that there will be English content in all distrobutions of the game but don't know how far that goes...

Binkey! What was the total sticker shock with S&H? I've read elsewhere that there will be English content in all distrobutions of the game but don't know how far that goes...

14 Euro for Shipping I think the total amount game plus shipping was 55.97 euro so it turns out to be around 75usd

$75 wow, now that's the sign of a true fan. I'll wait and see what pops up between now and then, I sort of have faith that gogamer will pick it up - I know there are people who work there that are fans of the game.

Seriously, love your game and all, but this is looking to be the most unorganised major game release ever. Apart from the BIS forum and a few random websites scattered around the net, I have yet to see any major hype about this game, and it's coming out in about 2 weeks...:386:

Not only that, but the release dates are all over the place AND there is still no release date for half the world.

I don't want to have to play on EU servers with a 200-300 ping the whole time. Unlike the huge influx of players that most games get when they come out, arma2 is set to have several small waves of players as it is slowly released around the world.

And why should I have to go out of my way to search for a copy, aren't you trying to sell us the game? None of the major retailers (in AU at least) are stocking the game, nor even know about it...

I mean, it's good that this time you are releasing the same version world wide.... but like, maybe with arma3 you can have a global release date as well????:confused: The majority of other games seem to be able to do it.

Seriously, love your game and all, but this is looking to be the most unorganised major game release ever. Apart from the BIS forum and a few random websites scattered around the net, I have yet to see any major hype about this game, and it's coming out in about 2 weeks...:386:

Not only that, but the release dates are all over the place AND there is still no release date for half the world.

I don't want to have to play on EU servers with a 200-300 ping the whole time. Unlike the huge influx of players that most games get when they come out, arma2 is set to have several small waves of players as it is slowly released around the world.

And why should I have to go out of my way to search for a copy, aren't you trying to sell us the game? None of the major retailers (in AU at least) are stocking the game, nor even know about it...

I mean, it's good that this time you are releasing the same version world wide.... but like, maybe with arma3 you can have a global release date as well????:confused: The majority of other games seem to be able to do it.

Your new here aren't you ? lol....

Well I've seen two different release dates in NA on two diff website one said June 23rd and IGN said Sept. 30th I mean I hope it gets released in the Canada ASAP but I don't know when that will be...either way Im gonna do my best to get it with the money I have even if (assuming I can afford it) It has to be shipped across the Atlantic!

Your new here aren't you ? lol....

pfft, I've been scouring the net almost every day for info, whenever i post in other forums that I frequent, most have nfi what arma is. Plus I've been lurking on these forums for years and years.

Edited by cm

Yeah, BIS really screwed up. They should have put ads into all the major gaming magazines and sites, TV spots, billboards and so on.

Oh hang on, that costs money :rolleyes:

Yeah, BIS really screwed up. They should have put ads into all the major gaming magazines and sites, TV spots, billboards and so on.

Oh hang on, that costs money :rolleyes:

lol, don't put words in my mouth, I just think it's a little.... under advertised....

Thanks binkster!

$75 wow, now that's the sign of a true fan. I'll wait and see what pops up between now and then, I sort of have faith that gogamer will pick it up - I know there are people who work there that are fans of the game.

Dangerdog, if ya talk to your Pallys at GoGamer you'll learn they didn't carry ArmA I till nearly a year after its Euro release (about nine months I recall), because they're up against even stricter trade barriers and restrictions then Consumers are, and typically get stuck with one option that really isn't one which is stock the game at a prohibitively expensive price/quantity and hope it sells with virtually no margin or take a ridiculous loss if it doesn't.

I'm not trying to pee on your parade, just keep things realistic: if you think $75 is expensive imagine ordering at just as absurd a price point in large quantity i.e. nearly twice the price of other games, having to pay still more to manage the inventory, and facing the opportunity of making almost no money or taking a loss on the decision if someone manges to offer it for less elsewhere -- it's just not smart business...

In other words it's very doubtful you'll see GoGamer take the risk and stock the game anytime soon after release, i.e. until the game reaches sell-through and prices fall to where GoGamer can order at a price point that makes sense. I would love to be wrong, and have GoGamer snare a good deal on the part and buy from them -- but in the mean time I'd rather be realistic, and keep the pressure on all North American Consumers to keep their eyes peeled for a sure way to get the game at a reasonable price.

One possibility, and this was done with ArmA I, is that we make an arrangement with 505 Games for a large group purchase to take advantage of bulk purchase order prices and the lower cost of drop shipping -- but someone still has to do all the work, re-pack and reship individual orders, and usually wants a little something to make sure all the costs are covered when things don't work; i.e. ordering extras to cover crushed, lost or broken parts, variations in shipping prices etc...

Add on the cost of individual boxes and shipping, and because this is a group purchase order and not a business with an retail license that will reoder the price still isn't going to be great, just better by a few bucks then ordering a German copy from Germany directly... By way of example I think ArmA I came in at around $68 when all was said and done if I recall correctly...

Keep looking...

;)

Edited by Hoak