Sign in to follow this  
hoak

North America Release / Publisher

Be nice if some of the off-topic swill was just tossed in the Off-Topic forum, I originally started this with the intention of a thread that would help North American's find the best place to buy ArmA II, if we don't see a publisher deal do down here...

:(

sorry hoak ,

ill google around for next few weeks see if i can dig something decent up ill pm you if i find anything for you. kind regards -

Hmm...

So if you upgrade your video card your're SOL and your license is void? It also doesn't offer how many activations you're limited to but there is a limit per the SoftWrap site -- many had to reinstall ArmA multiple times with the release of patches, and add to that and the patches for the Idea distro were often out of sync with other versions of ArmA...

You'd think they'd want to make these things abundantly and explicitly clear up-front for the prospective Customer to avoid confusion and disappontment...

:(

I never had a single problem with it...Although, I never re-installed ArmA, I've patched it 3 times officially. You can even install it on your laptop, together with the info provided @ activation.

As long as you have your serial number and other info with you, you are safe. There is no installation limit.

read FAQ ;)

http://www.sprocketidea.com/faq/SbS_arma.html

read Step-9

No better place than the original provider ;)

http://www.idea-games.com/

Edited by Cross

Thanks binkster!

Dangerdog, if ya talk to your Pallys at GoGamer you'll learn they didn't carry ArmA I till nearly a year after its Euro release (about nine months I recall), because they're up against even stricter trade barriers and restrictions then Consumers are, and typically get stuck with one option that really isn't one which is stock the game at a prohibitively expensive price/quantity and hope it sells with virtually no margin or take a ridiculous loss if it doesn't.

<snip>

Keep looking...

;)

The original euro release of ArmA was the German/Czech version, I would never expect GoGamer to import something like that, 505 Games release didn't happen for some time after that and there wasn't that much of a delay between the 505 version and the Atari release.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ArmA

I think a solid demo would do more in terms of marketing than any magazine ad (who reads those anymore anyway) or plastering the web with banners (most people use ad-block features of browsers now). Some actual game play videos wouldn't hurt either, they should have dslyecxi take us through the first mission or two in their entirety for those too lazy to download and install a demo.

I never had a single problem with it...Although, I never re-installed ArmA, I've patched it 3 times officially. You can even install it on your laptop, together with the info provided @ activation.

As long as you have your serial number and other info with you, you are safe. There is no installation limit.

read FAQ ;)

http://www.sprocketidea.com/faq/SbS_arma.html

read Step-9

No better place than the original provider ;)

http://www.idea-games.com/

Yes, I read the FAQ, and the installation instructions, even step nine! :rolleyes: As well all the other information on the Sprocket site, and the FAQ and information on the SoftWrap site that Sprocket refers you to regarding the SoftWrap licensing installer...

I'm trying to make this thread helpful and informative to everyone that might consider purchasing the game through an eTailer like this and the facts regarding games purchased through Sprocket include that you only allowed a finite number of activations, and activation will fail if you change hardware on your system.

A lot of ArmA Fans had a lot of trouble with the patches on their system and had to reinstall the game and even Windows to get a new patch to fly, and for many ArmA was the impetus to upgrade their CPU and/or GPU or system in entire; so obviously these may be important considerations for others even if they weren't for you.

Another is obviously price, and you can buy ArmA Gold on DVD for half the price it's being offered on Sproket at this time, with none of the limitations found there -- obviously however it might be quite a wait before that's the case with ArmA II, but of all the Publishers that are supposedly going to be offering ArmA II Sprocket is the only one that isn't promoting that it will be or a price...

The original euro release of ArmA was the German/Czech version, I would never expect GoGamer to import something like that, 505 Games release didn't happen for some time after that and there wasn't that much of a delay between the 505 version and the Atari release.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ArmA.

That's correct, but there was an English patch for those of us that ordered the German or Czech version -- and I don't know what you mean but 'wasn't much of a delay' it was months... Moreover it will take a game just as long to reach sell-through now as it did then for import prices to be appealing to U.S. retailers, probably longer as there are new import restrictions and costs in place now that weren't then...

I think a solid demo would do more in terms of marketing than any magazine ad (who reads those anymore anyway) or plastering the web with banners (most people use ad-block features of browsers now). Some actual game play videos wouldn't hurt either, they should have dslyecxi take us through the first mission or two in their entirety for those too lazy to download and install a demo.

I agree, that might help as piracy is one thing that effects how fast a game peaks before sell-through, and lack of a demo seems to have a measureable though small effect on that. Though a demo its difficult with a game like ArmA or ArmA II as they only really have one map... If they don't have it in the works now it would be time better spent just finding a North American Publisher (any North American Publisher as they shouldn't be picky this late in the game), or making contract publishing arrangements IMHO...

:)

Edited by Hoak

Maybe we'll get some official word at E3... I bet thats where Placebo and BI went. They're preparing for E3!

That's correct, but there was an English patch for those of us that ordered the German or Czech version -- and I don't know what you mean but 'wasn't much of a delay' it was months... Moreover it will take a game just as long to reach sell-through now as it did then for import prices to be appealing to U.S. retailers, probably longer as there are new import restrictions and costs in place now that weren't then...

The early adopters were sort of paid beta testers, plus that version had Starforce protection :icon11:

They did get treated to the collectors edition but I'm not sure if that made up for it.

I few months of polish and bug fixing didn't bother me in the long run, hopefully ArmA II is in a more finished state than ArmA was when it was released, those early reviews can be damaging - few sites revisit games after they're released for reassessment.

They did get treated to the collectors edition but I'm not sure if that made up for it.

We did?! How? When!? Where?! I think I must'a missed out on something... I agree about your sentiments about being an early adopter, I'm really not up for it again and feel for those that did, and might do it again, hence my putting Sprocket's license under a microsocpe...

And re. the North American press; it's one corrupt, paid for stinker -- so even if ArmA II rolls out as one plush, polished stunner of a game, don't anticipate anyone from the 'Big Four' giving the game lauds.

Edited by Hoak

That version that came in a small foot locker (collectors edition), as far as I know it was only available for Czech people. :p

Of course you had to be willing to fork over the extra money for it, but it wasn't available in other markets.

I wonder if there will be anything like that for ArmA II.

Im reading alot of post saying BIS should do this do that for advertising... Isnt this the publishers job? BIS is a developing company not an advertising company. Im sure the publisher would contract out work to advertising companies for the game.

I think the main problem is for not having a large Publisher which im assuming large publishers and BIS cant agree on things. Im sure BIS learned there lesson on reading the fine print.... Since CM screwed them. Anyways since there are many smaller publishers across the world this is hard to put up the money to advertise... This is the drawback that BIS had to choose over signing the name/code away with these greedy larger publishers.

Im just assuming so I could be totally wrong in all areas of this post..... :)

Im reading alot of post saying BIS should do this do that for advertising... Isnt this the publishers job? BIS is a developing company not an advertising company. Im sure the publisher would contract out work to advertising companies for the game.

I think the main problem is for not having a large Publisher which im assuming large publishers and BIS cant agree on things. Im sure BIS learned there lesson on reading the fine print.... Since CM screwed them. Anyways since there are many smaller publishers across the world this is hard to put up the money to advertise... This is the drawback that BIS had to choose over signing the name/code away with these greedy larger publishers.

Im just assuming so I could be totally wrong in all areas of this post..... :)

I expect you're dead right -- which is what makes me wonder why BI doesn't use a Contract Publisher or even multiple Contract Publishers in North America and other markets... It might cost them a little up front, but they can manage that incrementally, and would have much more margin then wasting time sewing a deal with a smaller more volatile Publisher (like Atari)...

:confused:

I got a quick response back from gogamer.com asking if they plan on carrying ArmA II import version.

Absolutely. :-) Assuming we can grab it we will carry it. Looks awesome.

Jason

that's about as close to a confirmation we'll get until it actually ships (or shows up on their site for order).

I wonder how much BI makes financially from VBS1 and VBS2 sales?

Do they even have to care how much money they make from ArmA II?

I don't think they're too worried about it. And maybe rightfully so. They aren't a public company, so they don't cater to the stockholders.

Thanks Dangerdog, I'll put GoGamer and some other info in the top/topic post when we get a firm confirmation. I've also sent out a few emails to eTailers and will post more info when I get responses...

I don't think they're too worried about it. And maybe rightfully so. They aren't a public company, so they don't cater to the stockholders.

Not as much as you appear to imply; BIA is a seperate entity that works under contract, so regardless of how the contract works; there still more heads to pay from a single sale, add to that while the margins are higher on VBS, sales volume is much lower then from retail product.

I'm not suggesting BIA is starving, but it's highly doubtful they have so much income from BIA and the VBS products, they can write off their millions of man hous in ArmA or ArmA II and care less how they perform. If they were doing that well they would self-publish and do their own marketing -- as the take in both those venues is substantial...

Edited by Hoak

Just a little update, I just got a response from Sprocket IDEA confirming they will for a fact be offering ArmA II, and details about the apparent activation limitations -- which are soft.

They can't offer the price they'll be selling ArmA II for yet, but the activation limit is three but can be renewed with a phone call or email at no additional cost.

The hardware bound license limitation is similarly soft and is only bound to MAC address which can be renewed if your system (MAC/network hardware) is part of an upgrade. They also promised that the Sprocket IDEA distribution of the game would be updated in sync with all retail releases.

Good news for North American Gamers that don't mind boxless content.

ArmA2 will be avaible in Steam and in 505 games digital distribution service.

Yes this will be coming out on Steam as well as other portals including the 505 games digital distribution service.

ArmA2 will be avaible in Steam and in 505 games digital distribution service.

Thanks Jorge! Steam is really good news! I can't find a URL for the 505 Games Digital Distribution Service -- though I do see their branded games being sold thouigh other Digital Distribution Services...

[quote name=Hoak;1286857

Not as much as you appear to imply; BIA is a seperate entity that works under contract' date=' so regardless of how the contract works; there still more heads to pay from a single sale, add to that while the margins are higher on VBS, sales volume is much lower then from retail product.[/quote]

I imply nothing......

Simply a question.... I have no idea what government contracts they have or how much they make off those contracts. VBS, ArmA, and other services offered by BI like MoCap, 3D Scanning, Ultra HD video, all end up in the same pot at the end of the day. Their marketing scheme for ArmA II doesn't seem that robust, and maybe it doesn't need it to be. Versus CM, it seems they really care about the true hardcore fan base, and not bringing in additional revenue from the casual gamer. Outside of a small community, not many people have heard of this game, and there has been very little push to hype it. Which is great to me.

I would think BIA leases the game engine.

Just a little update, I just got a response from Sprocket IDEA confirming they will for a fact be offering ArmA II, and details about the apparent activation limitations -- which are soft.

They can't offer the price they'll be selling ArmA II for yet, but the activation limit is three but can be renewed with a phone call or email at no additional cost.

The hardware bound license limitation is similarly soft and is only bound to MAC address which can be renewed if your system (MAC/network hardware) is part of an upgrade. They also promised that the Sprocket IDEA distribution of the game would be updated in sync with all retail releases.

Good news for North American Gamers that don't mind boxless content.

Activation limit? Are you serious? Activation limits are anything but soft. I bought it, it's mine. I don't see why I should ask permission to some guido to use what I own.

Edited by Delta84

Hi all

As I pointed out BIS already have employed a company for US/North American marketing of ArmA II.

16:24 (BST), 16/04/2009

ArmA II

Press Release PROVIDED BY GAMES PRESS

Lake Forest, Calif., April 16, 2009 - IDEA Games, an association of independent Czech video game developers (Bohemia Interactive, Altar Games and Black Element Software) has chosen leading public relations agency, Clever Communications to manage North American PR efforts for the PC video game, ARMA II. ARMA II is the sequel to the popular combat simulation, Arma: Combat Operations, from Bohemia Interactive, the development team responsible for Operation Flashpoint*.

The ARMA series, often seen as the spiritual successor to the award-winning Operation Flashpoint*, are combat simulation games known for their military realism which provide a truly realistic combat experience. ARMA II sets its scene in the present, 2009, in the fictional post-soviet country of Chernarus, which has been ravaged by civil war.

ARMA II is based on the latest generation technology and offers a uniquely vast game world, authentic and extremely detailed modern units, weapons, vehicles and environments. The branching, player-driven campaign can be played solo, or cooperatively and is accompanied by a huge range of single and multiplayer game modes.

"We are excited to work with the Clever team on the launch of ARMA II,"

said Slavomir Pavlicek, IDEA Games's CEO. "We have a loyal following for the ARMA series in the U.S., but with our company located in the Czech Republic, it can sometimes be difficult to communicate with our fans. We needed a trusted team "on the ground" and felt the Clever team was the perfect fit for ARMA II."

Clever Communications specializes in providing customized public relations programs to entertainment and videogame-based companies including Natsume, ACE Team, GamesCampus.com, True Games, G4Box, Wicked Interactive and more. The agency will handle all North American public relations efforts for ARMA II.

"ARMA II is a high-quality game with a great pedigree and possibly the best military shooter sandbox game of the year. The development team's previous work is award-winning and this new product is already highly anticipated. We are honored to be chosen to lead the public relations efforts for the U.S. market," said Mika Kelly, Owner of Clever Communications...

as always follow the link to read the full story

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/arma-ii-clever-communications-to-lead-the-north-american-pr-thrust

Here is Clever Comunications:

http://clevercomm.com/press.html

Kind Regards walker

Yeeep, saw that, but these folks dont publish, i.e. stamp, distribute and/or sell game media.

So what does that mean anyway, "will handle all Public Relations efforts" You would think that given the time frame here so close to the release, that some kind of official news on the US release would have come by now! I don't understand.

I hope the reports in this thread about download versions from IDEA & Steam are correct, I wish these sites would post something already to make it official, this really isn't good for business, I'm already having to make excuses to ppl who can't find info on where/how/when they can buy the game in the US, and we're talking lots of ppl from two different tournament gaming communities.

This is killing their intent on getting the game, as we all know, gamers can be a funny bunch, you tick them off just right and they won't buy, just like what happened when Arma released, it was viewed as a UK game, only in the last year have we drawn enough interest to host an Arma Tournament community, now here we are again, after all the media & us telling everyone how good ARMA2 is going to be, we can't provide them with the very basic questions of will they be able to buy the game in the US without having to jump through hoops, pay high prices & go half way around the world.

One other note, do BI ppl actually visit/read/post in these forums or are they run by a third party group of some kind, the reason is, you would think this question could be answered very quickly and easily by one of the BI reps.

Edited by TCEd

They could be in negotiations and unable to comment, perhaps they need a cash injection before expanding their markets therefore releasing the UK first and having the US (and other markets follow).

It's pretty risky for a game publisher to take on ArmA II being that it's a PC exclusive, at least right now - if you haven't noticed even games that are multiplatform are seeing PC releases scheduled behind console releases, not the other way around.

While everyone else seems to be making games that are aimed more at the casual gamer having ArmA II remain a hardcore sim is also going to be hard going finding a publisher that can see past the fact that this game is not the mass market appeal of being a CoD or Battlefield clone. I mean you can almost imagine some uninitiated business executives offering 'feedback' on changes that need to be made "Our surveys have shown that gamers prefer to have regenerating health and unlimited ammo and a cover system". :dead:

I wonder why Atari isn't the publisher for ArmA II. I was satisfied with their digital distribution.