Sign in to follow this  
mr.g-c

People who didn't buy Arma1 but OFP1 -> will you buy Arma2?

As a NON Arma1 player, will you buy Arma2?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. As a NON Arma1 player, will you buy Arma2?

• Yes i will buy Arma2 and its finally the true successor to OFP1
    • Yes i will buy it, but its not a successor to OFP1
    • No i won't buy it (whatever reason)
    • No i won't buy it, because its still not worthy to call it "OFP successor".

Hi, i was wondering since even the OFP1 part in this Forums is still active and i know that a lot of guys "quit" with Arma1 from BIS games:

Are there People who bought OFP1, played it and/or still actively playing it, which didn't bought Arma1 (or simply not playing it, not liking it)?

And will you buy Arma2 after all you saw?

That means is it a good successor for you compared to OFP1?

(if one request a addition of another option, please ask a mod i think)

Edited by mr.g-c
Changed Poll Question/Title

Definitely I will buy Arma2 :) I would like to also buy collector edition. I've played Arma1 actually, but that was my friend Czech version copy and at 1.00 it wasn't that good. Lot's of features missed that added now. But now I think that I should had bought Arma1 but while now Arma2 is almost out I will definitely buy this :) Environment reminds me OFP and I think It will be successor to OFP.

Edit: Btw I would call it OFP instead OFP1 because DR is not next part of OFP. Even if it was named before OFP2 they changed it to just Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising. So OFP is still OFP and DR is just some game with that name...

Edited by Mafia101

Guys please only vote if you NOT own and/or Arma1, but own and/or play OFP1!

You might have wanted to include a voting option for that.

This species does not exist.

You might have wanted to include a voting option for that.

Thats what the whole poll is bout. :p

Read the title....

...but if they never owned ArmA1... how on earth do they know that "the true successor to OFP1" is not, in fact, ArmA1... :confused:

...but if they never owned ArmA1... how on earth do they know that "the true successor to OFP1" is not, in fact, ArmA1... :confused:

Actually not... Arma2 is Game2 so its the successor to OFP1.

Arma1 was OFP 1.5 and came only out as cash cow.

Thats what the whole poll is bout. :p

Read the title....

When making polls it's common sense to include every possible scenario in order to reduce statistical inaccuracy and distortion.

Actually not... Arma2 is Game2 so its the successor to OFP1.

Arma1 was OFP 1.5 and came only out as cash cow.

Are you serious? While I can agree somewhat to the statement that Arma feels more like OFP 1.5, I have to whole-heartedly disagree that is was merely a "cash cow." That has such a negative connotation, that it makes BIS sound like they did it purely to rip the money out of our poor back pockets and laugh all the way to the bank snickering about how we are all "suckers."

Have you ever thought that for a minute that a company has to produce products in order to survive? A company that is made up of human beings that are not flawless, but can learn from their mistakes. There were plenty of mistakes in Arma, but I think they were mistakes that have hopefully been learned from. I know we have yet to see Arma2 for ourselves, but I think we will find that lessons were learned from Arma, and because of that Arma2 will be better.

Arma was necessary for the company to survive as far as I can tell. If there was no Arma, I doubt we would see a product like we will see in Arma2, if we would have seen an Arma2 at all, because BIS would have no more capital to continue the franchise.

To say Arma was simply a "cash cow" is fairly insulting to BIS, and to the community that plays it. I'd rather call it a good (or possibly painful) learning experience. Seriously, if it were merely a cash cow, would you have received any enjoyment from the game? I wouldn't.

Lol, nice post, but it was numerous times mentioned by (afaik) Maruk himself that Arma1 was released because the money was getting short.

What is bad with "cash cow"? A insult? - lol! Funny.... nice coincidence you reply this now (i wont go further into detail...)

The Term itself:

It sounds like a funny term to describe like it was (or was told so often):

Development of Game2 was getting longer and longer after OFP:Elite, money was then needed, Arma1 was branched off from the actual Game2 development on a certain point, was polished on its own for release and thats it, we know the rest of the story..

So it was released to fill the the shorter getting accounts...take this expression fully unvalued so neither valued by me as "good" or "bad"... its neither of it.

Ohh and please don't try to each me anything about what companies need money for and what not, its fully irrelevant here and i'm pretty well aware about for what you need money and that everything costs money.

Cash-Cow certainly means for me as a European Person not, that "cash-cow = all money in Mareks pockets".

Maybe in your country its different, but not for me.

I hope we can end this off-topic bla bla now and return to the actual topic, or have you and you "mates" any other point to criticize here?

Edited by mr.g-c
Removed anti-us ranting, im sorry again!

mr.g-c

it's quite funny that you report the post above yours (for no reason) and in your reply you start bashing that guy for his "questionable culture-less and capitalistic country".

+1 WL for that outburst.

If you have a problem with the U.S.A. or any other captialistic country i suggest you take that crap to some other forum dedicated to this. Here your anti-capitalistic, anti-american rantings are not welcome.

Edited by W0lle

Outburst?!..... allright..... Why don't you set one WL on top of it for "cash cow" and direct support his guy above mine?

Do you know fairness or something like that?

You should maybe rather read my report?

Realy no understanding for a Warning-Level with this post..

Ohh and anti-capitalistic? I earn money too you know? Its just a matter how far you go, you know?

Well it was quite an outburst since Barron was only disagreeing with a point you made and stated why...and actually he made no derogatory remarks towards you in that post. Why did you see the need to report his post? Why did you feel the need to make such insults that indirectly offends several people on this board?

Meh, he's in disappointed, angry mode..

I'll buy Arma II, don't much play Arma I anymore, just started up again after this latest patch (quite good IMHO). I'll definitely back the funding of BIS. They have that awesome blend of guts and skill to follow the inspiration, and (at least the public show of) ethics I strive for in my business. What if they fail? they may, they're human. And I know they'll endeavor to make it right, efforts in Arma I showed me that. Free market at it's best!

But sk3pt's point is valid. I am arguing that Arma is the successor to OFP, and Arma2 is the successor the Arma. To call Arma a "cash cow" seems to me that you have already made a judgment call as to it not being a true successor. I happened to post about how I disagree with that, and that I find it insulting to call it a "cash cow."

In each instance of games, BIS has improved upon the previous one. You or I may not like the amount of improvements, the specific improvements implemented, or feel that a certain feature was even an improvement, but it is a fact that they did work on a game with the same engine. Certainly, they learned every time they worked with it. That being the case, I see Arma as being a successor (whether or not it was a good one is surely up for debate), and not merely a "cash cow." I can respect any who felt that Arma was not a good successor to OFP, because everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but I fail to see how it can be labeled as not one.

I do not intend to give you any lessons on how BIS runs their business, capitalism, or anything financial. I do however feel that Arma was necessary for Arma2 (or Game2 if you will) to be available to us. I do not know the specifics on any of BIS's corporate workings. Perhaps I am wrong and BIS did not "need" to publish Arma.

As to the timing of my reply..... Seriously, I'm a bit more offended by this:

nice coincidence you reply this now (i wont go further into detail...)

and

have you and you "mates" any other point to criticize here?

more than any bash on my "culture-less and capitalistic country". I am my own individual with my own thoughts completely independent of any group. For you to suggest (as I read what you wrote) that I am something of a mindless drone is what offends me more. Please treat me like an individual. I do the same for you and everyone else on this forum (and anywhere else in life for that matter).

Well it was quite an outburst since Barron was only disagreeing with a point you made and stated why...and actually he made no derogatory remarks towards you in that post. Why did you see the need to report his post? Why did you feel the need to make such insults that indirectly offends several people on this board?

I have Pm'ed you ;) so we not turning this into endless discussions.

And anyway, i was about to editing/rewriting out the "questionable + culture-less" part and focus it more on the capitalistic part (since i'm sure cash-cow has a different meaning in a country like US), but before i was finish i received the "infraction" already so it was pointless :rolleyes:

Sorry if i insulted the US guys, having a cousin and aunts on my own now living in Idaho....

Nothing will ever replace nor exceed the exhileration we had with OFP.

The time that has lapsed, most everyone wants a game with every ininite detail of reality covered now, otherwise it won't be as mind blowing as OFP was.

It ain't gonna happen. OFP blew us away cuz there was nothing like it out there. The community mods made it addictive for years on in. We were all disappointed when ArmA did not have many of the improvements included that the community had made. But, the community mods, again, have made a BIS game addictive and immersive.

The same will go for ArmA2. Just do not expect that "OMG! THIS IS THE BOMB! RAWX!11!!1" feeling you got when you started playing OFP. We've all been gaming for a long while and it's going to take alot more than huge battlefields, lots of vehicles, complete modding capabilities, freedom of tactics, and eye popping graphics to impress any of us at the level OFP did. Simply put, we're no longer new to the concept and the genre.

OFP - New and innovative and years of fun.

ArmA - Expanded core engine, had four years fo fun with it (still play it almost nightly)

ArmA2 - Looks great and can't wait

I'll probably keep all three loaded as one will never really replace the others ;)

Scrub and Total, I echo both of your sentiments whole-heartedly. I think in some ways there never will be a "good enough" or "true" successor to OFP precisely because it was so mind-blowingly different and new when it came out. However, BIS produced a game (Arma) that held true to the concept of the original (OFP). It will never be as good as the original, but they never did a 180 on it. I doubt we will see a 180 in Arma2 either. From my perspective BIS has been honest in how they conduct themselves. Their conduct, and their efforts to stay with the concept of the original OFP is what keeps me coming back.

I plan on buying ArmA2 even though my comp wont run it. At the moment I dont plan on upgrading, but if I come into some cash then I will.

I haven't played OFP. But i do consider Arma 2 the OFP "sucessor".

I will buy Arma2 as the successor to Armed Assault =)

to me this is enough

i played ofp 3-4 years very active in a clan.. loved the campaign and multiplayer (pvp).. then i bought armed-assault and was very disappointed.. i didnt like the movement, aiming, etc.. and now it looks like ARMA2 has nice animations what makes the pvp-part interessting again..

This species does not exist.

Not true. THere is me. Only skipped ArmA cause I didnt have the hardware. Hopefully will for #2.

Are you serious? While I can agree somewhat to the statement that Arma feels more like OFP 1.5, I have to whole-heartedly disagree that is was merely a "cash cow." That has such a negative connotation, that it makes BIS sound like they did it purely to rip the money out of our poor back pockets and laugh all the way to the bank snickering about how we are all "suckers."

Have you ever thought that for a minute that a company has to produce products in order to survive? A company that is made up of human beings that are not flawless, but can learn from their mistakes. There were plenty of mistakes in Arma, but I think they were mistakes that have hopefully been learned from. I know we have yet to see Arma2 for ourselves, but I think we will find that lessons were learned from Arma, and because of that Arma2 will be better.

Arma was necessary for the company to survive as far as I can tell. If there was no Arma, I doubt we would see a product like we will see in Arma2, if we would have seen an Arma2 at all, because BIS would have no more capital to continue the franchise.

To say Arma was simply a "cash cow" is fairly insulting to BIS, and to the community that plays it. I'd rather call it a good (or possibly painful) learning experience. Seriously, if it were merely a cash cow, would you have received any enjoyment from the game? I wouldn't.

Well, you were disagreeing with him saying it was a cash cow, but effectively that is what you yourself have said in your reply. You say that the company needs to sell products and earn money in order to survive, and that in order to do this they released an inferior product (ie with mistakes) - in effect, that makes it a cash cow.