Sign in to follow this  
evilnate

The ORIGINAL milsim games and what made them great!

Hidden & Dangerous (1999) is what really got me into this genre. Yeah I know 1999 wasn't that long ago, but I was only 11 at that time :dance1:

So that game was revolutionary to me :P

Same here, except I was 8. Ahh the times when games like H&D was basic stuff.

Edited by Leopardi

Anyone tried out NAM (built on Duke Nukem engine) I made with my buddies, sequel to the Platoon Total Conversion for Duke? ;)

Are you serious? My opinion to this game is rather negative, so if you decide to read on, don't take it personal :p

That game was awful. I remember my cousin brought it along from Ukraine so it was in Russian language and the few briefings which were recorded audio files were so low-quality, I couldn't figure out what the hell they were saying (I don't even know if it was Russian or English). Anyway I couldn't understand a thing, which actually didn't really matter as it was only run and gun. The sounds and graphics (soldiers looked as "painted" with MS Paint) were plain crap for being released in 1998. By that time I was not sure what to think of that game, is it a simulation or what?

If so, the engine was completely unsuitable, because I wasn't really able to sneak around, in contrary, I was Duke Nukem in da Jungle and the AI was... well Duke Nukem style: Placed sprites that will get active if something is triggered within their reaction radius.

The only thing I actually liked were the large maps, but then again the missing details ruined that for me.

I figured out that I could use the old Duke Nukem cheats and so more or less enthusiastically beat myself through the levels only to erase the game from my hard drive (and my memory).

I never found out how GT Interactive could agree to publish that. Maybe you could enlighten me? :D

A-10: Cuba! was a pretty good game. Though somewhat lacking in systems depth (by todays standards at least - when compared to Falcon 4 or the upcoming DCS: A-10), for its time it was amazing.

Brilliant graphics (far better looking than any pixelated 'photorealistic' game), flight dynamics that held significant fidelity, a proper damage model and a fair amount of systems depth for its time. This was the first flight simulator I had ever played.

Janes USAF was also a brilliant simulation. Multiple airplanes, somewhat in-depth simulation of standard USAF avionics and great graphics for its release in 1999. It had enough scope at the time to keep me interested in actually paying attention to the tutorials.

Operation Flashpoint was the first MilSim I ever played, before that I had only been playing combat flight simualtors and the closest I had got to OFP was BF1942 (Oh the memories!). Operation Flashpoint came along and it was like all my birthdays had come at once!! I finally got the realism that I craved!

I think what made it so great was the fact they thought - "Right.... lets make the biggest most realistic game we can and then make it ten times better!" People may not agree totally with that opinion but at the time thats how it made me feel! The scope and the depth still take my breath away to this day and it is how I have come to judge simulations by.

F-19 was an amazing game. The first one I ever really got into Milsim wise. I think this is where I first learned to fly actually looking back. Used to love dodging radar stations and planning an attack route and stuff, plus the manual was huge and really exciting. Think I've still got it upstairs. Defo have f15 still.

CORE's thunderhawk was another really good one. Nowhere near as much flexibility as F-19 but it was extremely nice to play and exciting too.

FLames of Freedom was another amazing game. Held me spellbound for days at a time. Would love to see it re-done properly with good AI for the onshore contacts and buildings you could actually walk into :)

The dog fighting sim for MS flight simulator 2 (maybe FS 1 or 3?). I think I played it on an 8088. At any rate, it had quite a low frame rate, and firing bullets caused the rest of the action to almost completely hault.

I can't remember if it was dogfighting sopwith camels like in fs3 or cesnas. It definitely didn't have ega graphics, though.

Edited by Max Power

First Aviation Milsim: Falcon 4.0

First Ground combat Milsim: Americas Army 1.3

First naval milsim: Harpoon 2

I played plenty of rambo stuff before that, but those were my first actual milsims. I got falcon when i was 9 or 10, and aa 1.3 when i was about 12. Harpoon 2 at 12 as well.

Nowadays, pretty much all I play anymore are sims (not all of them milsims, but most of them).

Current Milsims:

ArmA 2 (duh)

DCS Black Shark

Falcon 4.0

SH3 with GWX mod

ArmA 1 ACE (some of my friends cant run arma 2)

Harpoon 3 ANW

AA3

Steel Beasts Pro PE

IL-2 1946

strike fighters 2

other sims I use include:

FSX

X-Plane 9

Vehicle Simulator

I first read this thread title as being The original muslim games... :confused:

FAscan004.jpg

Janes Fighters Anthology was a fantastic flight sim. I used to spend hours playing the various online modes. I remember being amazed at the cleverness of those who made mods for it. Before we leapt into the future and got internet at home, I had to download the mods for it on 1.44" disks at uni - haven't even seen one of those in years.

Had heaps of planes, maps and weapons. My favourite game mode was MP "Airbase assault", having to destroy your enemies airbase before he did yours. Selecting what aircraft, what weapons etc brought you right into the game. Should I go air-to-air and knock out his planes, then finish the base off later? Or go straight for the base? I can still recall the excitement at screeching across the map in an F-111 (the RAAF shouldn't retire it!) on full afterburner, 50ft above the deck, invisible to enemy radar, full load of bombs. Line up the bombsight... boom! there goes his HAS!

Those were the days.

Probably the very first ones for me was the Comanche (and the rest of its series) and Delta Force.

This is probably my first milsim game.

Silent Service from 1985.

?1034

Silent_service_01.png

Not much different from all the current sub sims. Very buggy. Crashed alot so I never bothered too much with it.

Yep, SEAL Team and Airborne Ranger were the best for me, until Rainbow Six 1.

You'd get pinned by suppressive fire in SEAL Team. You could call in airstrikes and boatstrikes, too. You could even demolish a sandbag bunker by shooting it with enough rounds from a Stoner or M60.

At university we used to play Xtank. A shooter game where you drove

little ultra-low poly tanks about a wireframe battlefield and shot each

other (there were other game "modes" too). I used to be expert at bouncing

the little "shells" off walls and shooting the en up the arse. It ran on Unix

with the X Window System. Due to bugs in the network code it used to

constipate the entire Comp. & Math. Sci. department as it went berzerk,

frenziedly polling everyone else's X display server repeatedly asking if they

wanted to join the M.Sc students for a cracking game of Xtank! :rolleyes:

M1 Tank Platoon 2! Kind of nurtured an obsession with all things CAS... Great game though.

Original Rainbow 6 and expansion packs.

F16 Fighting Falcon, and wondering why my aircraft kept barking "Bingo Fuel!" at me.

Lost interest in most mil-games bar IL-2 (and Racers/RTS) once I got a taste of OFP.

since someone mentioned submarine sim, the very first Silent hunter on dos is really good too, they even got interview of the vets for christ sakes

My first game is Delta force(all parts) and Desert storm(both parts).i think desert storm both parts are very hard and cool.as delta force.it has also big community.delta force is a rambo type game,you have to do all work on your own.desert storm is my 2nd choice after ofp.yoh

1987 Airborne Ranger - Was the first for me, you had to use stealth, tactics, different weapons for different targets, limited ammo etc. etc.

airborne_ranger.gif

Seal team was the best for me prior to the 2001 Bohemia Interactive game :)

Yeah man i remember Airborne Ranger, was pretty awesome :cool:

Another game i really enjoyed was SpecOps: U.S. Army Rangers(though i played the PC version, not sure if this is that one).

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcLq7zbBeVA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcLq7zbBeVA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Edited by JW Custom

Rainbow Six 1 and Hidden and Dangerous were the first tactical shooters i ever played, and to me, both are the mothers of tactical gaming.

After that i picked up anything i could find, Ghost Recon, Operation Flashpoint, ArmA, the Swat games etc.