Sign in to follow this  
Pac

Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad

Has there been any word on moddability?

I know mod teams are already working on full overhauls of the game and I believe they have the active support of the devs, so all seems sorted.

Free RO:OF? TWI always did make great decisions.

Hmm, why Americans only?

I guess it does make sense since the playerbase in America is stretched very, very thin. Most players are European, and the American servers are pretty limited to 24/7 Danzig or 24/7 Arad, which kills it completely.

Smart move to attract attention to the series, it should have been global.

Ostfront is worth the £10 purchase either way though.

That thing about the germans holding their rifles with one hand while they run so that the russians know they can shoot them is funny.

Im not impressed with what i've seen yet.

That thing about the germans holding their rifles with one hand while they run so that the russians know they can shoot them is funny.

You do know it was part of the military training for germans to hold their weapons with one hand.

I'd buy the game for the tank simulation alone. Real penetration system, where you can see the crew man next to you get sliced by a penetrating round is awesome.

So what part about the new cover system, decent bullet penetration through materials, penetration in tanks, seeing other teammates inside those tanks, possibilities to blindfire your weapon, advanced hit detection on soldiers, more realistic scope workings, a co-op mode, German and Russian SP campaign, and different MP modes including a 'Tug of War' battle over territories do you not like, or have seen before somewhere else?

EDIT:

And as Leopardi pointed out already, running with the weapon in one hand was German military drill, while the Russians were tought to run with their weapon in both hands so it's actually realistic to be this way.

It's the attention to detail that makes it great.

you forgot properly created maps based on real life locations

as TWI got access to Stalingrad places where is extremely hard to get even these days and even more harder to obtain rights to make videos/pictures and so on ...

True, i love how they were the first Westerners to get access to the Grain Elevator after the Russians kicked the Germans out of it, and also how they got inside of the Univermag building (according to a new gametrailers interview, each of them had to drink half a litre of Vodka before being allowed in :p) on the Fallen Fighters square.

Next to that, i dont see how one can't be excited about a game like this, in this time and age.

Realistic tactical shooters have near died off except for ArmA 2, and even generic shooters have come to a grinding halt and havent advanced for years, grinding out the same muck over and over again.

Now comes a game which kicks so much FPS conventions in the shins, and one cant get excited about that?

Imho it would be much better if all soldiers can change their weapon animations instead of beeing forced to those ideal-typical black and white schemes. How many battles in WW2 have been fought exactly by the drills/books?

Isnt the idea of a drill that soldiers do certain things without thinking in combat situations?

I sincerely doubt a German soldier would have thought when running in a combat situation that "well, fuck what they told me, i'm going to do my own style right now". He would just run his ass off in the manner that he was told because it has become second instinct.

It's what they were tought, so what's so wrong about portraying that in the game?

To be more clear - soldiers dont carry/hold their weapons always by the books/drills. Wouldn't it be better if players have to verify their targets a bit more instead of automatically knowing - "running with the weapon in one hand is evil - shoot!!" perception? ;)

heh that holding gun when running should be random and not the german are always running with holding the gun in one hand :P

Edited by RobertHammer

I am really looking forward to this game - especially because of the realistic first-person experience, the cover-system and the intense immersion provided by the game!

Sorry, i didnt mean to break the party but that was just a reaction to what i've seen of the game so far.

Graphics, animation and presentation dont look very appealing, i know this stuff isnt what matters the most.. but to play a game you still have to look at it, so it helps if you like what you see.

Gameplay... i've seen a guy running around surrounded by very dumb bots and showing off a handfull of new gimmicks.

Maybe they will show something more impressive in the future but what i've seen so far hasnt impressed me.

That stuff about the germans running with the rifle in one hand is ridiculous..

It's actually a pretty good idea if you ask me. It adds another level of variation among the two sides. How often in games does everyone look like a clone, always moving the same way.

no its not. it's just realistic so why is it ridiculous? :j:

Somewhere in 2011.

And that running animation is not ridiculous. It is how they were trained, so it's only natural to display it this way.

And since every server in RO has friendly fire on (which is default) in Ostfront and the moddays teamkills could happen a lot because firefights are fought on a longer distance.

Murphy's law in this case really applied to RO because most of the time if you were doing exceptionally well, you'd most likely get killed by a teammate who thought you were an enemy.

This can still happen if you are sitting still in HoS ofcourse, but it doesnt hurt at all to have a non-gamey way to tell friend from foe at a distance.

I really dont see why it is ridiculous to have because of these two facts.

RO really could use a way to distinguish between friend or foe, and this provides exactly that and historically accurate too. What more could you want?

I do agree on the bot AI so far, though they are way, way better than they were in Ostfront (basically rewritten Unreal Tournament AI which couldnt handle a realistic game).

At least they know how to take cover, vault over it etc. but i really would like to see them not move so much and take a position and hold it, at least for the defensive side.

The offensive side is player-controlled anyway so you can send them around yourself.

Do tell though, what exactly do you think of as a 'gimmick'?

no its not. it's just realistic so why is it ridiculous? :j:

It's hard to take you serious when you were like one of the major OFP: DR fan boys on the Consolemasters forums last year.

Sorry, i didnt mean to break the party but that was just a reaction to what i've seen of the game so far.

Graphics, animation and presentation dont look very appealing, i know this stuff isnt what matters the most.. but to play a game you still have to look at it, so it helps if you like what you see.

Gameplay... i've seen a guy running around surrounded by very dumb bots and showing off a handfull of new gimmicks.

Maybe they will show something more impressive in the future but what i've seen so far hasnt impressed me.

I have to agree with you. TWI has lost my respect with the incorporation of UAVs and now Mkb 42s that they said were used in Stalingrad. The only reason they are going to add this is so they can cater to the COD/CS:S kiddies.

Edited by Hans Ludwig

the UAV as you call it takes quite long to recharge and it reveal only units in the open ...

there is also indication it will have some short delay so it's not exactly precise ...

anyway it may help commander to pick location for artilery or notice masses of enemies advancing ...

which is not far off from WW2 plane :)

about the rare rifles and weapons for both sides ...

it's game and while these rifles were rare (usually seen prototyping or use by needs) they are based of real ones ...

so i will not fear if there is 1-2 man slot class for it out of 32 players ...

it's like the STG complain for RO:OST ... imho these weapons add the niche for use ...

and as long as they class-limited as always were in RO games then everyone shall be happy

Edited by Dwarden

The bots were set on the lowest skill setting to make it easier to demonstrate the game. Everything you've seen so far is alpha WIP.

This will be the best WWII game ever, mark my words. :)

blah blah blah

UAV, RO = CoD, CSS blah blah blah hurr durr. Your usual nonsensical comments. Stop posting. The plane spotting infantry is silly, I agree, but a plane spotting tanks isn't unrealistic at all. And yes, there were a couple of MKB-42s at Stalingrad. That weapon being in HOS is good news for the modders.

You also don't seem to realize that there will be relaxed-realism and full-realism modes.

Edited by Buzz_Fledderjohn

I just bought Ostfront today on Steam for $10. Seems I can also get the Darkest Hour mod for free, which I found out has Canadians! :D

Definitely going to give it a try when I get the chance and see what it's about.