Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

maintaining a constant 'clean' experience

I agree with that, main priority is no stutter, no lag and as good fps as pos, not too fussy about big tank/air battles or anything like that just want realistic small/medium type skirmishes with no re-spawning throughout the mission (if pos all the units on at the start), most of our group can maintain a good fps rate in the city/town/forest etc provided the ai isn’t above 50-ish in those areas when in combat, open areas, and there is no fps problems at all, even with high levels of ai, but running street to street style combat works well with a 50cap on ai.

Three of us in the group were lucky enough to have PC’s built specifically to run A2 and configured that way, OS being lowered, only the bare minimum onboard etc, you certainly couldn’t work on these PC’s as there is nothing on them other than A2 related stuff and an internet connection, my Win7 64bit on my A2 pc looks like Windows95 compared to my everyday pc Win7 which looks fantastic with all the screen honey, tricks and frilly bits, my A2 PC is really stripped down, every effort cpu wise put into the gaming performance, it does run really well though. Obviously everyone has a budget, but I knew the type of missions I wanted to make and play and the overall performance I had in mind, so after putting that to the builder went with his expertise and choice, baring in mind the budget I wanted to use. I was very pleased with the outcome, same builder built all three A2 pc’s in the group, unfortunately he’s not around to build the A3 ones.

That all said we do have a couple in the group with a few problems when there are higher ai numbers in cities/towns/forests etc, one of them is the one I mentioned in my previous post, he uses that PC for everyday use so I am not sure he will ever get great performance out of it, too much going on. Still, he will possibly go with a single 2GB card, either HD5850 Toxic, same one I have as it has the Samsung memory rather than the Hynix used on the 1GB version, I was told at the time of my purchase that it would OC better later, in-fact it clocks virtually to the top end of the HD6* series stock clocks, so pleased about that. There again he may go straight for one of the 6* series, either way he will have the benefit of the AMD updates and support for the gpu, they tend to be fairly progressive.

The 3930/60 that are releasing next week are disappointing tbh. There is nothing to recommend them unless you do a lot of video work/compression etc.

I was excited about them, but having seen their actual performance, I might not even bother as I can't be arsed with reinstalling Windows etc when the performance gains just aren't there.

They cut the best features from the X79 chipset, PCI 3.0 and enhanced SAS support, and since we already have 6 core H/T processors, there really isnt much to cheer about other than the quad channel memory and that isn't really relevant for most applications related to desktop computing.

I'm hoping for better things from Ivy Bridge and Ivy Bridge Extreme in 2012 and there will also be new video cards around by then which will make more sense as far as a full upgrade goes.

agreed, ill wait for ivy but want to upgrade before A3 and i doubt IB-E will be out by then. if im rollin in cash by then i might get kepler but i cant really justify that as i havent had a game yet that even pushes my 580's.

HR4 - does it really make that much difference to the game performance by dumbing down windows?

if so would it be worth it on a high end rig or is it mainly to help the medium end rigs?

Z68 has the hdd cacheing tech. You could look into that,

2 HDD's in RAID1 (no, not 0) + a 64GB ssd for cacheing gives you very low load times. If you go over budget you can always get a 2500K, or "just" 8GB of kingston valueram.

I'd probably get an 80+ gold psu with long warranty, but that's just personal preference, psu is more than powerfull enough.

wouldnt go for 1GB cards in sli as new games (especially BF3) are very heavy on vram.

Sandy bridge E will be nice but if you choose that platform you're probably going to go over budget.

Well, i probably should have mentioned that the computer should be able to handle most 3d applications and video editing software out there without blowing the bank, gaming is secondary. That's the reason for a i7 (best would be a 6 core like my 970 but that is over budget) and the 16GB of ram

OCZ one is said to be 80+ silver PSU...

nVidia over ATI is there because the Autodesk software (both max and maya) have their physics engine replaced from havoc to nvidia physix.

regarding Raid 1, i might actually look into 2x 500GB raid 1 + SSD then. I can add more storage later if needed.

the 3930 is suppose to be priced lower than the 2600k. I don't know how expensive the MB might be though.

The 3930/60 that are releasing next week are disappointing tbh. There is nothing to recommend them unless you do a lot of video work/compression etc.

I was excited about them, but having seen their actual performance, I might not even bother as I can't be arsed with reinstalling Windows etc when the performance gains just aren't there.

They cut the best features from the X79 chipset, PCI 3.0 and enhanced SAS support, and since we already have 6 core H/T processors, there really isnt much to cheer about other than the quad channel memory and that isn't really relevant for most applications related to desktop computing.

I'm hoping for better things from Ivy Bridge and Ivy Bridge Extreme in 2012 and there will also be new video cards around by then which will make more sense as far as a full upgrade goes.

cheers for the insight. I guess i might as well stick with the current generation i7s then.

regarding Raid 1, i might actually look into 2x 500GB raid 1 + SSD then. I can add more storage later if needed

Raid1= 2 disks with identical date, I'd get 2x 1TB, 500GB might be a bit small for video editing, too bad hd prices have gone up so much.

The ssd caching does not work with raid0, riad1 is just as fast (faster even if not sequentail) when reading, and with writing the ssd cache + the lot's-oh-ram the write performance wil be fantastic as well.

I guess i might as well stick with the current generation i7s then.

I will be doing the same tbh :)

Edited by BangTail

HR4 - does it really make that much difference to the game performance by dumbing down windows?

if so would it be worth it on a high end rig or is it mainly to help the medium end rigs?

Does it make a difference lowering Win7 settings.., I don’t know, my guess would be yes, it must help, I suppose that’s why he recommended it..

Would it be worth it on a high end system.., my answer to that would be, why isn't it running it well already..

Disabling the aero interface saves you some vram (and extra for every window that's open). If you want to disable aero if arma runs just go to the properties of the arma exe and "disable desktop composition"

Raid1= 2 disks with identical date, I'd get 2x 1TB, 500GB might be a bit small for video editing, too bad hd prices have gone up so much.

Yeah i know what raid is and the difference between 0, 1 etc. :)

regarding space, i got 2x 1.5TB Samsung of eSata external HDDs. Might chip in another 1 or to internal ones, but space is no a problem at this very moment ;)

was actually wondering why HDD prices went up by 50%...

The ssd caching does not work with raid0, riad1 is just as fast (faster even if not sequentail) when reading, and with writing the ssd cache + the lot's-oh-ram the write performance wil be fantastic as well.

good insight, wasn't aware of it...

was actually wondering why HDD prices went up by 50%...

Thailand floodings, many hd factories there.

Welll by XPS 720 system went down today with fatal HD crash - I was running XP and had ARMA2/C0 working great...

Now I'm upgrading to a new Alienware System. But I'm curious, are there any issues with ARMA2/CO and Windows 7 ??

Hello everyone, I'm really looking forward to playing this game and wanted to see how my new computer I just ordered will play it, the specs are..

Cooler Master Elite 331 ATX Case w/750watt Powers Supply

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Software: Microsoft Office 2010 Pro

Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600

Hard Drive: 1TB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s 64mb cache hard drive

Optical Drive: LITE-ON 24X CD/DVD Burner with light scribe support

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 460 1 GB

Sound: IntegraCooler Master Elite 331 ATX Case w/750watt Powers Supply

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Software: Microsoft Office 2010 Pro

Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600

Hard Drive: 1TB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s 64mb cache hard drive

Optical Drive: LITE-ON 24X CD/DVD Burner with light scribe support

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 460 1 GB

Sound: Integrated 7.1 channel HD Audio by RealtekA ALC888GR

Network Card: Integrated 10/100 Ethernet

I think your going to get some on here saying you will only get this or that in settings and you should have got this type of cpu or card etc..

I think your going to be really o.k. with that, shame the card is just 1Gb, however. I would think high or very high settings, however if that’s not pos normal settings with high shadows and to be honest there is not really that much difference..

There may be a little lost in the jpeg transfer but you get the idea..

Hope you get great settings and enjoy the game with not too many problems..

Oh and welcome, 'Oddfuturewolfgang'

'Oddfuturewolfgang'

When you get started, and if you do get any performance problems make sure you are patched to the latest patch; Arma2 = 1.10 or Operation Arrowhead = 1.59 as there have been many improvements over the last 12mths or so. Also check out performance mods if you do experience any problems as there are a few that will help with improving performance a little i.e. ‘DVD’, ‘Sap Clutter’ are the two I use, DVD will automatically change your view distance in favour of fps and Sap Clutter will reduce the foliage a little to help boost fps etc..

But don’t think I’m saying you will have problems just don’t worry if you do there are things available to help sort it out and its free..

Set view distance at 2500-3000 to begin with as 10000 is, well lets say nooooooo...

Hey Hardware gurus,

I am upgrading from a Geforce GTX295 and I am looking at getting a AMD HD6970 2gb card.

My question is is this card the best way to go?

I predominately play Arma 2/VBS2 with a little COD/MOH when i want some down time and are in need of mindless fun.

Thoughts?

That may be true, but i am pretty sure my 295 is on the way out.

I own a 6970 card, and I find a2 performance to be solid. that said I cannot compare with a 295 as I have no experience with that particular card.

all in all I think you'd be better off waiting a bit more for a future gfx generation

6970 = 1 GPU

295 = 2 GPU

If you want to trade up to the next level of 't00fer' (Dual GPU) card you would be looking at a GTX 590 or a 6990.

Personally, I'd avoid 't00fer' cards like the plague.

I prefer SLI to CF, so I would say go with 2 GTX 580s but if you prefer AMD then 2 x 6970s are the way to go if you are planning on buying now.

As Pufu said, new GPUs are not that far away so you might be better holding off for a little while.

Edited by BangTail

Hey Hardware gurus,

I am upgrading from a Geforce GTX295 and I am looking at getting a AMD HD6970 2gb card.

My question is is this card the best way to go?

I predominately play Arma 2/VBS2 with a little COD/MOH when i want some down time and are in need of mindless fun.

Thoughts?

Check out Overclockers Club reviews, great indepth reviews plus testing..

A 6970 isnt faster than a 295 in arma 2.

You sure..

You sure..

Yes, a 295 was still the fastest card when the 5870 came along. A 6970 is faster than an 5870 but not with a huge margin. Getting a 6970 for arma if you already have a 295 isnt worth it, performance gain will be hardly noticable.

I just recently purchased new system (being shipped next week). Comes with a 3GB Nvidia GTX 590, from most of what I've read it should really be able to put out some high end performance.

Any others on here currently have one, thoughts?

Yes, a 295 was still the fastest card when the 5870 came along. A 6970 is faster than an 5870 but not with a huge margin. Getting a 6970 for arma if you already have a 295 isnt worth it, performance gain will be hardly noticable.

Just looking at the ‘Overclockers’ review/test and running Crisis Warhead (no A2 test) the GTX295 runs average on 1920x1200res 32fps, the HD6970 on the other hand runs the same res at average 52fps, which pulls out at the same as the GTX580..

---------- Post added at 03:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:54 AM ----------

I just recently purchased new system (being shipped next week). Comes with a 3GB Nvidia GTX 590, from most of what I've read it should really be able to put out some high end performance.

Any others on here currently have one, thoughts?

Don't think you'll worry much about running the game 1920x1200res 77fps ;)