Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

is that true output? What is the brand/model name for your PSU? There are a lot of lads that overlook the importance of a good PSU, risking the integrity of the whole rig when using a generic, unbranded one that is no where near the output written on the box...

How much A on the 12V line/lines? That's the only number that matters nowadays.

Edited by Leon86

Just the dvd drive, your current harddrive will work fine as long as it has a sata port.

If your hard is a SATA one, will work on any board that has sata ports (and there is no MB out there that has only SATA 6GB ports).

And yes, Hard Drive and Hard Disk are the same thing

any will do, just get a cheap one that's in stock. Or a blueray drive if you want to be able to watch blueray movies.

Alright, it's about time for me to upgrade my PC to give it another 3-4 years of future proofing.

My current specs are:

Q9550 @ 3.8ghz

XFX nForce 780i Mobo

DDR2-PC6400 4gb Ram @ 500mhz

GTX 570 @ 831/1662/1817

Want to get:

i7 930 Bloomfield

Asus P6T Deluxe -- already have it, was giving to me after friend got it back from RMA.

8GB of PC3-12800 Ram

GPU will stay and eventually get a second 570 for SLI. My goal is for a steady 50-60fps in ARMA2 with everything on MAX except post processing.

What you say crew?

i7-930 is 15% slower than 15-2500k/2600k and that's not even taking into account the massive overclocking headroom of the newer processors.

Personally I think you are better off holding out until ivy bridge hits because you wanna be ARMA 3 ready if you want a 3-4 year system. i7 930 wont be good in 2-3 years max so I'd say forget socket 1366.

Perhaps Sandy bridge-E is a good option for you? Check it out. But yeah Ivy bridge next March probably your best option.

I feel you should never go for older architecture and CPUs when it comes to building a future proof-ish rig you might want to play A3 on.

That said, You either get an i7 2600(k), or you wait a bit longer for the new generation processors to hit the market (the already late 8core Bulldozers) and the Sandy E.

The GFX card has some mileage left to go, even without giving it a twin in SLi.

Unless you absolutely have to buy today, I would wait. It's always better to make a decision when all the cards are on the table.

SB-E is now rumoured to be very close (November) as is Bulldozer (which I have little doubt will be underwhelming but we'll see).

Ivy Bridge is still ~8 months away and could be further delayed but it will likely be the best option overall if you can hold out that long.

Edited by BangTail

Want to get:

i7 930 Bloomfield

Asus P6T Deluxe -- already have it, was giving to me after friend got it back from RMA.

8GB of PC3-12800 Ram

GPU will stay and eventually get a second 570 for SLI. My goal is for a steady 50-60fps in ARMA2 with everything on MAX except post processing.

What you say crew?

Well it's not like it is a bad processor (i7 930) but why would you pay same price for slower and older CPU when u can get 2500 / 2600K?

I'd strongly advice on waiting for Ivy bridge as it's gonna wipe floor with even sandy bridge K versions. ( trigate transistors, adjustable TDP, native USB 3, native RAM support of up to 2100Mhz etc..)

LGA2011 - sure if you're made of money and want server like performance at its best

Also, considering zambezi CPU's, now those might not be just as awsome as Sandy but at their pricepoint/power will make it hard to ignore them...

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/AMD-FX-series-Processor-Bulldozer-opteron,news-36419.html

The price says it all and then you have AMD chipsets of which I am not a fan.

I'll pick up a 3960x just for the hell of it but Ivy Bridge is going to be the one that really interests me.

We aren't getting new GPUs before Q1 2012 anyway so it doesn't really matter.

If we could get a game that actually pushes what we have now (present company excluded), I'd be impressed.

I'd also advise not to get a 930, unless you can get it for $100 secondhand. or something. A 2500K is much faster than a 930 in 99% of applications and cheaper new.

I doubt sandy E or bulldozer will be much better for gaming than a sandy 2500K system. If intel continues its pricing the way it did with 1366/1156 the 2011 socket based sandy E systems will be 50% more expensive than 1155 systems with roughly the same performance but with more features and more room for gpu's, pci-e ssd's etc.

But you might want to wait for it just to be sure.

no, but why would you want a mATX in the first place?