Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

...besides, you are comparing a DX10 game with a DX9 one. Newer cards have better performance in DX10 and 11, but not that much over older cards when dealing with DX9...Same goes for the GTX590 comment

Case of point, don't compare apples with pies..

I was simply pointing towards a very respected view, the site I would look to when choosing a card, would be ‘Overclockers Club’ not here.

There are no actual tests shown on here showing fps in A2, you tend to have the same people responding to posters regarding cpu’s & gpu’s, of which, many will tell you that this card and that card won’t do and that Arma2 is different when it comes to gpu’s & cpu’s which I agree with, to a point, but some concrete facts would be nice.

Talk is very easy, show some test results, don’t just talk cards down, when in reality they probably run A2 very well indeed, if I would have took the views of some on this site when researching my A2 PC then I would not have my out of date HD5850 2gb Toxic, because that cannot run A2, can it…:butbut:

No of course not...:rolleyes:

Proper test's, not talk, similar to this.. PuFu best check out the GTX590 results, I think he has no need to worry..

Edited by HR4 Elite

You were flat out wrong (the 'comparison' you presented was irrelevant due to different tests/settings etc) and coming here and making disparaging comments about users who have way more experience than you when it comes to hardware isn't going to help your case.

Firstly, 'overclockersclub' isn't the first site I would go to for info. Secondly (and I am speaking for myself here), I have experience with pretty much every GPU on the market so I speak from experience when I give advice, not regurgitations from tech sites.

Nobody would ever say that a 5850 can't run A2 because it wouldn't be true and I think you'll find that most of the regulars in this thread do know exactly what they are talking about.

You were flat out wrong (the 'comparison' you presented was irrelevant due to different tests/settings etc) and coming here and making disparaging comments about users who have way more experience than you when it comes to hardware isn't going to help your case.

Firstly, 'overclockersclub' isn't the first site I would go to for info. Secondly (and I am speaking for myself here), I have experience with pretty much every GPU on the market so I speak from experience when I give advice, not regurgitations from tech sites.

Nobody would ever say that a 5850 can't run A2 because it wouldn't be true and I think you'll find that most of the regulars in this thread do know exactly what they are talking about.

Prove you know what your talking about..

I don't have anything to prove to you :rolleyes:

I've been here for a long time and I've done my best to help people make smart choices.

Take it to PM if you have anything else to say.

I was simply pointing towards a very respected view, the site I would look to when choosing a card, would be ‘Overclockers Club’ not here.

There are no actual tests shown on here showing fps in A2, you tend to have the same people responding to posters regarding cpu’s & gpu’s, of which, many will tell you that this card and that card won’t do and that Arma2 is different when it comes to gpu’s & cpu’s which I agree with, to a point, but some concrete facts would be nice.

Talk is very easy, show some test results, don’t just talk cards down, when in reality they probably run A2 very well indeed, if I would have took the views of some on this site when researching my A2 PC then I would not have my out of date HD5850 2gb Toxic, because that cannot run A2, can it…:butbut:

No of course not...:rolleyes:

Proper test's, not talk, similar to this.. PuFu best check out the GTX590 results, I think he has no need to worry..

We're not talking cards down, we're just saying that if you upgrade from 295 to 6970 you will not notice much in arma.

Most review sites only compare new cards, so a direct comparison is kind of impossible unless you own both cards.

If there are no direct comparisons between 2 cards I always look in the toms hardware graphics card hierachy chart (link in sig). It's a rough estimate at best but if you buy new I'd want to make sure I'm at least 2 tiers higher.

We're not talking cards down, we're just saying that if you upgrade from 295 to 6970 you will not notice much in arma.

Most review sites only compare new cards, so a direct comparison is kind of impossible unless you own both cards.

If there are no direct comparisons between 2 cards I always look in the toms hardware graphics card hierachy chart (link in sig). It's a rough estimate at best but if you buy new I'd want to make sure I'm at least 2 tiers higher.

I understand that, however, when someone says one card is not as good as another card that’s fine, but back it up with at least some test results, owning a card and becoming attached to its brand does not necessarily make it a better card than another. I have no leaning towards any brand, provided it does what it should do and has decent backup/updates, then branding is not important, I own a reasonably out of date card but it does a great job, so I am not saying because its an older card the GTX295 is not a great card, it probably is, but then don’t tell me its better than another without showing me some test results to back it up.

Lets be honest most people new to gaming or at least PC gaming buy cards after first researching a lot, and the researching tends to be done on the internet primarily, so give an unbiased view, not make a statement that a certain card is better than another, that’s just misleading anyone who happens to be researching for a new card.. If your prepared to say its better, show some evidence i.e. tests reviews that shows its performance is better that the other card..

Most on-line tests show the HD6970 to be better than the GTX295, I was told that the card being put into my PC was going to do a good job, I still researched a little before saying yes put it in the machine, I used test reviews, they are out there even ones tested on A2/OA as I listed previously and here again, that’s helping point someone in the right direction to make an informed decision…

'Mine is better than yours' syndrome, is just childish..

Leon never said the 295 was 'better' than the 6970, he said that upgrading to a 6970 from a GTX 295 where ArmA 2 was concerned would be a pointless excercise (and he was right).

The 6970 is a much better buy than the 295, that's obvious but upgrading from a 295 to a 6970 for the purposes of ArmA 2 is not a particularly good buy (unless you are going to benefit from the extra VRAM).

Leon has shown as much of your much coveted 'evidence' as he can in this situation using the hierarchy chart that places both cards in the same tier.

ArmA 2 is a primarily CPU limited game, not GPU limited.

The tests you posted (as you've already been repeatedly told) didn't prove anything as they were using different settings and maps not to mention the fact that they were tests relating to Crysis: Warhead and not Arma 2.

You then have the unmitigated audacity to accuse other people here of not backing up what they say and 'bias'.

Puhlease :rolleyes:

Edited by BangTail

Leon never said the 295 was 'better' than the 6970, he said that upgrading to a 6970 from a GTX 295 where ArmA 2 was concerned would be a pointless excercise (and he was right).

The 6970 is a much better buy than the 295, that's obvious but upgrading from a 295 to a 6970 for the purposes of ArmA 2 is not a particularly good buy (unless you are going to benefit from the extra VRAM).

Leon has shown as much of your much coveted 'evidence' as he can in this situation using the hierarchy chart that places both cards in the same tier.

ArmA 2 is a primarily CPU limited game, not GPU limited.

The tests you posted (as you've already been repeatedly told) didn't prove anything as they were using different settings and maps not to mention the fact that they were tests relating to Crysis: Warhead and not Arma 2.

You then have the unmitigated audacity to accuse other people here of not backing up what they say and 'bias'.

Puhlease :rolleyes:

Toms Hardware is one opinion, where are the tests that the site has done, it seems more of a forum than actually testing anything.. Type in GTX295 in the search and you get a forum, no tests, if there are any test articles from Toms Hardware put them up here..

"A 6970 isnt faster than a 295 in arma 2." page 782 Leon, sounds like he's saying the 295 is better to me...

But I forgot you can’t show us any useful information can you...:confused:

Toms Hardware :rolleyes: stop the world I wanna get off...

Edited by HR4 Elite

No, I don't have the cards in question anymore (as I told you via PM) but I certainly won't resort to posting irrelevant benchmarks to try and make my point as you have done.

I personally prefer my experience over any hardware sites as many of them hold a very clear bias one way or another.

It's amusing to me that you accuse others of 'brand loyalty' when this whole thing started because you spat your dummy over Leon's very pertinent comments concerning these 2 cards.

JFYI

http://www.hwcompare.com/6340/geforce-gtx-295-vs-radeon-hd-6970/

You can keep babbling if you like but it's going to end you up on ignore pretty soon :D

PS:

"A 6970 isnt faster than a 295 in arma 2." page 782 Leon, sounds like he's saying the 295 is better to me...

With regards to what Leon said, specifically 'in ArmA 2' (not Crysis and all the other irrelevant BS you posted).

Misquoting, disinformation and taking things out of context seem to be specialities of yours :confused:

Edited by BangTail

No, I don't have the cards in question anymore (as I told you via PM) but I certainly won't resort to posting irrelevant benchmarks to try and make my point as you have done.

I personally prefer my experience over any hardware sites as many of them hold a very clear bias one way or another.

It's amusing to me that you accuse others of 'brand loyalty' when this whole thing started because you spat your dummy over Leon's very correct comments concerning these 2 cards.

JFYI

http://www.hwcompare.com/6340/geforce-gtx-295-vs-radeon-hd-6970/

You can keep babbling if you like but it's going to end you up on ignore pretty soon :D

Another link to a site that does not test...

Read it...

Ok, that's about enough of you I think so I'll just go ahead and add you to ignore.

Before I go:

What it proves is that they are fairly similar.

I'll say it again for the cheap seats, the 6970 is a better overall card (DX11, more RAM, newer etc) but upgrading to it for the purposes of ArmA 2 is not a very cost effective or performance effective solution.

See ya :D

HR4 - obviously, you have limited first hand experience with hardware and knowledge about them. If you post ONLY linking to external sites, where most tests are done using the same games (crysis, bf3, metro, cod, farcry, anno 1404 and so forth), you can keep it to yourself. Case of point is your remark about Leon's post regarding an upgrade intended for A2 from a older generation GFX to a newer, that would cost about 300EUs and would bring minimal performance gains (if any)...

please, next time you feel frustrated for whatever reason you got (yes, the ones you post around those very forums), do something else with your time...

I had numerous PCs built around different purposes (mostly GFX and VFX) (and one single game company BIS) in the last 5 or so years out of my 20 years of using PCs. Only in the last 2 years i had a 5 video cards: gtx260 and a second SLI, ati 5870, gtx460 and ati 6970. i will soonish grab a 560ti or 570. For cpus, in the same timespan, i went from q6600 to q9500 to my current i7 2600k and i7 970. I know bangtail has even more experience with computers than myself, in different configurations.

So please, if you have nothing to add to this very thread, then don't.

BR/

Back to the topic at hand. The i7 3960X reviews and testbenches have surfaced, but i have yet to see a proper 3930K or 3920 test....yet...it is sort of weird from Intel to release a newer version of their 4core/8threads i7 with the locked multiplier...

Edited by PuFu

HR4 - obviously, you have limited first hand experience with hardware and knowledge about them. If you post ONLY linking to external sites, where most tests are done using the same games (crysis, bf3, metro, cod, farcry, anno 1404 and so forth), you can keep it to yourself. Case of point is your remark about Leon's post regarding an upgrade intended for A2 from a older generation GFX to a newer, that would cost about 300EUs and would bring minimal performance gains (if any)...

please, next time you feel frustrated for whatever reason you got (yes, the ones you post around those very forums), do something else with your time...

I had numerous PCs built around different purposes (mostly GFX and VFX) (and one single game company BIS) in the last 5 or so years out of my 20 years of using PCs. Only in the last 2 years i had a 5 video cards: gtx260 and a second SLI, ati 5870, gtx460 and ati 6970. i will soonish grab a 560ti or 570. For cpus, in the same timespan, i went from q6600 to q9500 to my current i7 2600k and i7 970. I know bangtail has even more experience with computers than myself, in different configurations.

BR/

Back to the topic at hand. The i7 3960X reviews and testbenches have surfaced, but i have yet to see a proper 3930K or 3920 test....yet...it is sort of weird from Intel to release a newer version of their 4core/8threads i7 with the locked multiplier...

I am the only one that linked to actual information from people who do this for a living. That is what this topic is about giving people as much info as pos. Having a PC built does not make you an expert although you and ‘Bangtail’ seem to think it does. I linked to sites giving genuine information, you have not, you just give your view without trying to help back that view up. Forums are for views, but when it comes to pointing someone in the direction of a possible purchase then there is a responsibility to that person, simply having one off statements without some sort of detailed explanation is misleading and irresponsible.

I bought my first PC a little over 30yrs ago, first gaming console was a Atari 2600 + then an Amiga (commodore) and every console since including the Philips early cd console. PC wise I have worked my way through literally hundreds of PC’s over the yrs, I had a small system for my business (23) which were changed every 2yrs, plus too many personal home PC’s to list, so I have had a few over the years and have had many makes and types. But none of that makes me an expert, that’s why I try to point people in the right direction linking to sites that test many, in this case, cards of all makes.

Certainly at no point have I been frustrated regards anything anyone on this forum can or have said, at my age I’m way past getting frustrated over comments from people, everyone is entitled to an opinion, its just when it points someone in a possible purchase direction a responsibility becomes attached. A personal view is valid, but a view that says a card ‘is not as good as another for Arma2’ should be backed up.

I have never said anywhere on this forum that any one card is better than another, just provided link to sites that may help someone make an informed decision, not hearsay from amateur experts..:rolleyes:

Well you still didnt find any review directly comparing a 295 to a 6970, which is what this little drama is all about. 6970 reviews are nice and all but without comparison to gtx2xx cards you cant say if it's a worthwhile upgrade or not.

The hierarchy chart isnt an absolute truth but if cards are in the same row there arent going to be huge differences in performance.

BR/

There is no point in trying to reason with a person who believes that because someone can register a domain name, they are somehow considered an expert, and he is clearly anything but. Best to put him on ignore and forget about it :)

Now, on to important things like 39xx release.

I ordered the 3930k this morning along with the Gigabyte X-79 UD5.

I couldn't justify the extra $700.00 for the 3960x as the only real difference is the 3MB of cache which isn't really a difference at all.

I'm hoping it will get here tomorrow but we'll see as there weren't that many in stock when I ordered.

I know, I know, I said I wasn't going to but I can't resist new technology and it was a real fight with myself not to buy the 3960x but I managed to fight that urge off ;)

Edited by BangTail

I am the only one

[...] not hearsay from amateur experts..:rolleyes:

...and this is what it all boils down to, even if quite a few ppl are telling you otherwise...good grief...welcome to my "elite" ignore list then

Now, on to important things like 39xx release.

I ordered the 3930k this morning along with the Gigabyte X-79 UD5.

I couldn't justify the extra $700.00 for the 3960x as the only real difference is the 3MB of cache which isn't really a difference at all.

I'm hoping it will get here tomorrow but we'll see as there weren't that many in stock when I ordered.

I know, I know, I said I wasn't going to but I can't resist new technology and it was a real fight with myself not to buy the 3960x but I managed to fight that urge off ;)

mate...what bussiness are you in? I'll join your ranks anytime :P

Good call either way, that's one of the reasons i got the 970 instead of the 980x in the first place almost 1 year ago ;)

does that means you have a 980x and a x58 UD9/7 for sale? :rolleyes: (with me looking for a new PC and all...)

Looking forward to a first hand review from your part then (read you PM from earlier)

Edited by PuFu

It's time to stop the bickering and spamming in here.

Somehow this discussion has gone from under what circumstances some ATI card is better than some nVidia card, to a competition of how many computers we set up in the 80s, to lounge furniture.

If you have nothing constructive to contribute to the discussion, please refrain from posting until you do.

Ok so here is a 3930k review with ArmA 2 scores.

Obviously, as expected, SB-E just isn't a step up as far as ArmA 2 goes.

Review:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2011/11/14/intel-sandy-bridge-e-review/1

ArmA 2 scores:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2011/11/14/intel-sandy-bridge-e-review/7

Some decent showings in RTS (Shogun).

In other news, still no tracking info for me although I may have delayed it by changing to an MSI Motherboard as they aren't going to have Gigabyte until Friday and I can't be bothered to wait ;)

Edited by BangTail

but impressive results in both lightwave and terragen...

Edited by PuFu

It's time to stop the bickering and spamming in here.

Somehow this discussion has gone from under what circumstances some ATI card is better than some nVidia card, to a competition of how many computers we set up in the 80s, to lounge furniture.

If you have nothing constructive to contribute to the discussion, please refrain from posting until you do.

I regret this immensely but you give me little alternative.

I have written to BIS (emailed via a customer contact form, ‘hard to get hold of’, a detailed letter will follow tomorrow 16/11/2011, managed to find their address:cool:), regarding pm’s I have sent to moderators concerning matters of this forum that happened a number of weeks ago.

I received no contact whatsoever from the moderators, although this does not seem odd, as they don't seem to read:rolleyes:

The matters were of a legal subject with very serious consequences :(…

(much more serious than you removing yet another of my posts here I see:mad:)..

A reply to this post is not required.. I know BIS most definitely will reply to the contact I have made with them. I would reply to their email when they contact you, as I am sure they will ;)..

Don't suppose this post will be here that long:p

but impressive results in both lightwave and terragen...

Yep, the productivity results are really good :)

I regret this immensely but you give me little alternative.

An alternative would have been the Ask a moderator thread, which is not really hard to find as it's even linked in the forum rules. At least it would have been a better place than this one. But guess that would have been too much hassle for you.

I have written to BIS (emailed via a customer contact form, ‘hard to get hold of’, a detailed letter will follow tomorrow 16/11/2011, managed to find their address), regarding pm’s I have sent to moderators concerning matters of this forum that happened a number of weeks ago.

I received no contact whatsoever from the moderators, although this does not seem odd, as they don't seem to read

The only contact for all forum related issues is Placebo, our head moderator and not BIS.

And I have not received any PM from you at all.

The matters were of a legal subject with very serious consequences :(…

(much more serious than you removing yet another of my posts here I see:mad:)

Forward them to Placebo as said above instead spamming this thread with this totally irrelvant stuff.

The off-topic discussion and spamming in this thread stops with this now. Every spam or unrelated post will be removed and infractions given.

wow, didn't think my question would cause so much drama.

What I am faced with is not choosing to replace the gtx295 that I have, but i have to replace it as i think its dieing. I have had a number of lockups requiring a hard reboot and the pc is telling me that they are all vid card related.

frozen screens, the screen turning a different color and locking up, those kinda things.

So from what I can tell is that the AMD card wont loose me any performance, but at the same time wont give me much of a boost.