Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

Well, right now, my specs are these:

I5-2500k

Board: some Z68 , maybe a P8Z68-V LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX

Corsair Xms3 Ddr3 1600 4gb x2

Seagate Sata 6.0gb/s 500gb 7200 Rpm16mb

Case Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus

PSU Corsair 800w Gaming Series Gs800 - 800 W

About OC'ing the 2500K, which would be a 'safe' value to it, if using a good watercooler?

About the gpu, I'll try to find something better than the GTX560,with 2GB,(and not too expensive,like the GTX580). Any suggestions?

Golgo_13 I have almost the same specs and a GTX 570 and Im very happy with it. The only thing needs upgrading is the addition of an SSD in the coming months.

If you get the GTX 570 or 580 then I m sure you will be a happy man.

With a decent air cooler like a mugen 2 you'll hit 4.6 Ghz with ease (if you have a reasonable chip ofcourse, but recent stepping clocks better than release 2500K's so probably not a problem). With a pre-assembled watercooling kit you can probably get a few hundred mhz more and have less weight on the motherboard (usefull if you go to lan parties, if it just stands in a room I'd get a mugen 2)

I run the Radeon Sapphire HD5850 2GB Toxic which is OC’d to the spec shown below. Now OC’d this is a fast card and with around 50-60 AI infantry and a few heli’s plus myself its running around 45-55fps average, I have a 60Hz monitor which I have been told could be holding the average back a little as I run it with v-sync enabled which means it will not run above 60fps. However I am not saying think about this card but think about the card that I am thinking of getting later this year which is the Sapphire HD6990 which is supposed to be the fastest card out there. Who knows if it will run Arma2 or 3 at the speeds we would all like, but going on the way the Toxic handles (OC’d) the HD6990 must really be a quick card with fps to suit I would imagine.

Is anyone running the Sapphire HD6990 ? If so how does it perform ?

I would very much like to know...

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/sapphire_hd6990/17.htm

Well, right now, my specs are these:

I5-2500k

Board: some Z68 , maybe a P8Z68-V LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX

Corsair Xms3 Ddr3 1600 4gb x2

Seagate Sata 6.0gb/s 500gb 7200 Rpm16mb

Case Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus

PSU Corsair 800w Gaming Series Gs800 - 800 W

About OC'ing the 2500K, which would be a 'safe' value to it, if using a good watercooler?

About the gpu, I'll try to find something better than the GTX560,with 2GB,(and not too expensive,like the GTX580). Any suggestions?

GTX560 < GTX 560TI~GTX 470 < GTX 570 < GTX580

AMD6870 < AMD 6950 <AMD 6970

My own recomandation would be in the 560TI 2Gb and the 570 (be aware that there is a difference between the ti and the non-ti version)

Now, i have 2 of the Corsair H70s, but the second best option would have been the Mugen2 or 3, which is also a fantastic product as Leon said.

I run the Radeon Sapphire HD5850 2GB Toxic which is OC’d to the spec shown below. Now OC’d this is a fast card and with around 50-60 AI infantry and a few heli’s plus myself its running around 45-55fps average, I have a 60Hz monitor which I have been told could be holding the average back a little as I run it with v-sync enabled which means it will not run above 60fps. However I am not saying think about this card but think about the card that I am thinking of getting later this year which is the Sapphire HD6990 which is supposed to be the fastest card out there. Who knows if it will run Arma2 or 3 at the speeds we would all like, but going on the way the Toxic handles (OC’d) the HD6990 must really be a quick card with fps to suit I would imagine.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/sapphire_hd6990/17.htm.

My own recomandation would be the 580 3gb for the same money...Not that the 6990 wouldn't work pretty close if not better (or the 590 for that matter), but there seems nvidia drivers are happier with the Nvidia (i got to say i prefer AMD for their visual fidelity over the nvidia, but that is another discussion).

Edited by PuFu

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/sapphire_hd6990/17.htm

A 6990 is a dual gpu card, so you'll have all the issues of crossfire but with a higher price or lower performance than a true crossfire solution. In the past there have been many issues with crossfire and arma. I dont know how it is now as I am a sli user, but I'd avoid it, especially the dualgpu cards.

Thanks for the help guys!

I've managed to save $$ by choosing the I5 2500K(I'll OC it to 4.2 Ghz if it's really safe).

About the board, I'll probably get the Asus P8z68-v Lga 1155 Intel Z68 Hdmi Sata 6gb. If there's anything better for the same price, let me know.

The problem is the gpu: There's no 2GB version of the GTX 570,and the 1GB model still a bit expensive.

The GTX 560 TI 1GB looks amazing for the price/performance(even only having 1GB), and I could SLI it someday.

I know that by using the 560 TI I would have to set antialiasing and other settings down a bit and play in 720p,but it's acceptable,and the graphics would still looking quite good.

About the in-game visual distance/range,with this cpu-gpu setup, would I be able to see enemies from 3000 meters when sniping?

Anyway, I'm still not sure about the gpus, any more suggestions?

I've managed to save $$ by choosing the I5 2500K(I'll OC it to 4.2 Ghz if it's really safe).

About the board, I'll probably get the Asus P8z68-v Lga 1155 Intel Z68 Hdmi Sata 6gb. If there's anything better for the same price, let me know.

The problem is the gpu: There's no 2GB version of the GTX 570,and the 1GB model still a bit expensive.

The GTX 560 TI 1GB looks amazing for the price/performance(even only having 1GB), and I could SLI it someday.

I know that by using the 560 TI I would have to set antialiasing and other settings down a bit and play in 720p,but it's acceptable,and the graphics would still looking quite good.

About the in-game visual distance/range,with this cpu-gpu setup, would I be able to see enemies from 3000 meters when sniping?

My 2500K is clocked to 4.8-5ghz stable with no issues on a Corsair H70. I've also had 6870 crossfire and now running a 6950 crossfire setup. 1GB of VRAM is plenty unless you are running over 1920x1200 resolution or eyefinity.

There is no magic bullet. CPU is the most important thing in Arma and a 2500K at 5.0ghz is still bottle necked while my GPUs sit at 50-75% utilization. This is also with a 4 disk raid, SSD, and RAM cache via FancyCache. I'm also running 16GB of Corsair RAM @ 1600 1.5v.

A 560Ti sounds great but id use the money saved by a 6870 to buy a decent cooler to get your cpu near 5 ghz.

Edited by zorrobyte

Asus boards are a good choice with sandy bridge, with a 560ti you will not need to run at 720p, they're pretty fast, just dont go overboard with antialiasing or postprocessing.

Well, I'm back after doing more research.

@Leon:

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep the antialiasing and postprocessing down.

@ zorrobit:

I'm scared of these super OCs of 5.0Ghz, lol, but I'll try something around 4.5 Ghz.

Right now, my specs are these:

CPU: I5-2500k

Board: Asus P8z68-v Lga 1155 Intel Z68

RAM: Corsair Xms3 4gb Ddr3 1600 x2

HD: Seagate Sata 6.0gb/s 500gb 7200 Rpm 16mb

Case: Sentey Bx1-4284 V2.1 (good price,size and comes with 4 coolers)

PSU: Corsair 800w Gaming Series Gs800 - 800 W

About the CPU: I'm not going to OC it right away, only after getting a Watercooler. Is 3.7Ghz enough to play the game for a while?

About the PSU: I've been thinking about getting a 700w Real Corsair Gs Gaming Series 80 Plus instead, which is cheaper, but I'm planning to SLI in the future, and I'm not sure how much power the 2 560s Ti will use. Is 700W enough for my specs and SLI or I'll need 800W?

As usual, any suggestions? :D

Should be fine at reasonable settings up to 5K draw distance.

Recommended:

Textures: Very High

Video Memory: Default

View distance: 3500-5000

Anis/Antialiasing: Normal

Terrain Detail, Objects Detail, HDR: Normal

Shadows: High (any lower and causes shadows to be rendered on CPU)

Postprocess Effects: Disabled (I don't like the effects and is a major GPU strain)

Resolution: Native (100%)

Tweak from here, textures don't have a huge effect on FPS if any from my testing. Default VRAM setting detects your GPUs ram, any other option is preset and may not use all of your VRAM.

Again, don't worry about anything above 1GB of VRAM unless you are running Nvidia Surround/Eyefinity.

Benchmark 1 is CPU/GPU, Benchmark 2 is just for CPU. I like using Benchmark 3 or the OA benchmark. Aim for 30FPS+, it's impossible to get a consistent 60 FPS with Arma's CPU bottleneck.

ASUS boards have really nice automatic overclocking features.

Should be fine at reasonable settings up to 5K draw distance.

Recommended:

Textures: Very High

Video Memory: Default

View distance: 3500-5000

Anis/Antialiasing: Normal

Terrain Detail, Objects Detail, HDR: Normal

Shadows: High (any lower and causes shadows to be rendered on CPU)

Postprocess Effects: Disabled (I don't like the effects and is a major GPU strain)

Resolution: Native (100%)

Tweak from here, textures don't have a huge effect on FPS if any from my testing. Default VRAM setting detects your GPUs ram, any other option is preset and may not use all of your VRAM.

Again, don't worry about anything above 1GB of VRAM unless you are running Nvidia Surround/Eyefinity.

Benchmark 1 is CPU/GPU, Benchmark 2 is just for CPU. I like using Benchmark 3 or the OA benchmark. Aim for 30FPS+, it's impossible to get a consistent 60 FPS with Arma's CPU bottleneck.

ASUS boards have really nice automatic overclocking features.

It is shame that 2.3 years from armas relese date there still is no system that can run it nice.

Im waiting socket r sandy bridge, hopefuly that on 6 GHz can play arma without sub 30 fps drops in towns with alot of AI.

It is shame that 2.3 years from armas relese date there still is no system that can run it nice.

Im waiting socket r sandy bridge, hopefuly that on 6 GHz can play arma without sub 30 fps drops in towns with alot of AI.

My 2500k @4.8ghz doesn't come close to going that low unless I put like the maximum number of groups possible fighting in a small area. For practical ARMA situations the 2500k allows perfect gameplay for me.

Did you mean socket 2011? No such thing as socket r now or in the foreseeable future...

Socket 2011 will probably offer lower A2 performance- A2 can only use four cores, and a six-core is not going to be able to overclock as high as a quad core. Those 2011 CPUs are still going to be the same sandy bridge architecture.

I dunno where you're getting 6ghz from. Unless the extra l3 cache is going to be significant for games... Still nowhere near worth it for the price...

My 2500k @4.8ghz doesn't come close to going that low unless I put like the maximum number of groups possible fighting in a small area. For practical ARMA situations the 2500k allows perfect gameplay for me.

Did you mean socket 2011? No such thing as socket r now or in the foreseeable future...

Socket 2011 will probably offer lower A2 performance- A2 can only use four cores, and a six-core is not going to be able to overclock as high as a quad core. Those 2011 CPUs are still going to be the same sandy bridge architecture.

I dunno where you're getting 6ghz from. Unless the extra l3 cache is going to be significant for games... Still nowhere near worth it for the price...

Your cpu at 4.8 GHz cant play this game with decent visuals in big cities with alot of ai, and mantain 30+ fps. Just try to play elektrozavodsk scenario or benchmark 2.... Runing server and playing in towns with alot of ai, isnt realy playeble with any cpu on the market.

Socket r= LGA 2011

Arma 2 can use more than 4 cores, there isnt much gain, but arma can use more...

socket r wont have same arhitecture, there is alot more cache and quad channel, and more pins (new socket).

If it willl be faster than 2600k for 10-20%, one still needs to have colock close to 6GHz to satisfy my needs to enjoy this game. Ofcourse, some people enjoy the game with less, but wor me only 50% faster cpu than fastest avalable today is enough. And with more cores, you can play with affinity and set some cores to be used by dedicated server.

If you put enough units on the map and put settings high enough performance will be terrible with any current or future system.

SB-E (Socket R) is likely going to be overshadowed by Ivy Bridge where gaming is concerned and given the current release schedule. With the 3980x (the 8 core variant of SB-E) unlikely to appear before Q2 2012 and carrying a ~$1500.00 price tag, it's going to be far cheaper for gamers to pick up the 6 core Ivy Bridge vs the 6 core SB-E.

@lozz08: ArmA 2 can use more than 4 cores and that ability may well improve with patches and further, ArmA 3 will almost definitely utilize more than 4 cores. Keep in mind that Frostbite 2 (Battlefield 3 etc) can effectively utilize as many as 8.

@Leon86: Your point is well made, I can still cripple this rig with OFP. The moral is, no matter what investment you make, there will always be a trade off where this franchise is concerned.

Edited by BangTail

From what I've heard they're not going to release a 6-core Ivy on socket 1155- and that makes sense because it would obviously be more powerful than SB-E cpus on socket R and render that product segment irrelevant only a few months after release. I really doubt we'll ever see more than 4 cores on 1155.

But one can always hope. I got myself a gen3 Z68 board so if a 6-core Ivy comes out for 1155 it's gonna pop right in quick smart.

You heard wrong ;)

I would also point out that the fast SB chips (2500K & 2600K) are faster than the significantly more expensive 980/990x where gaming is concerned.

The 3960/80x are not really aimed at gamers.

You are talking about two completely different market segments.

Edited by BangTail

Hi,

I own ArmA 2, Operation arrowhead, BAF and PMC

(BAF and PMC from ArmA X)

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this but, I woud like to know how shoud I update my computer. (Or if there is no other choice buy a new one)

First of all, my computer is 3 - 4 years old. Its a HP ummm... :confused: something. And its running in Windows Vista. I might be missing some details, but here are some basic specs.

Specs:

Made by: Hewlett-Packard Company
 Model: p6045sc
 Windows "Benchmark": 5,5
 Processor: AMD Phenemon 9750 Quad-Core Processor 2.40 GHz
 RAM: 8.00 Gt
 64-bit

Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4650

And these are the benchmarks I am getting in ArmA 2:

Everything is in normal except Postprocess Disabled, Resulution in 1920x1600

and 3d resulution in 67 %

ArmA 2 OA Benchmark: 24 fps, 22 fps, 21 fps

ArmA 2 Benchmark 01: 26 fps, 25 fps, 25 fps

ArmA 2 Benchmark 02: 9 fps, 10 fps, 10 fps

So what should I do to get better fps when playing ArmA 2. I have thought of getting a new graphics card or something, but I am not sure what to buy.

Btw I am not very good with computers

Thanks

Your CPU and GPU are both pretty old, and I dont think hewlett packard has a bios update so you can run a modern processor on that board. Replacing the gpu with a more powerfull one would help too but the PSU can probably not deliver the required power.

It's probably better to build a new rig, or a fast secondhand one.

My current system is as follows

intel i5 2400k @ 3.2ghz

6970 2gb

How much of a performance increase in arma 2 would I get if I were to upgrade to

Intel i5 2500k overlocked to 4.6ghz ?

there is no such thing as a 2400K. if you were to go from i5-2400 on 3.2 to 2500K on 4.6 your performance wil be (4.6-3.2)/3.2= 44% higher in cpu limited situations. Depending on the scenario and settings you may or may not be cpu limited.

an i5 2400 will overclock to 3.6 Ghz if you have a P67 or Z68 chipset on your motherboard, if you dont have P67 or Z68 you cant overclock at all. If you can run the blck on 105 you could maybe even get 3.8 out of your current chip

Edited by Leon86

Wait for Ivy bridge (march 2012) getting a 2500k when you have a 2400 is a slight whaste I think, remember you'll have to buy a decent cooler too if you want 4.6ghz.

Wait for Ivy bridge (march 2012) getting a 2500k when you have a 2400 is a slight whaste I think, remember you'll have to buy a decent cooler too if you want 4.6ghz.

going from i5 2400 (@stock frequency , unable to OC these one) to a fresh 2500k unlocked , set @4600mhz , IS a real upgrade.

with a such GPU , he 's pretty sure to have a nice boost.

go for it guy !

A non K cpu will overclock 4x blck, about 400 Mhz. A 2500K @ 4.6 is less than 30% faster than a fully overclocked 2400.