Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

well, I bought the evga gtx 560 ti 2 gb card

Amd Phenom ii x6 3.3 GHZ (turbo to 3.7)

and 8gb ddr3 memory...

with that new mobo I posted (forgot the name).

and boy, I use to play on 20-35 fps on my old specs low/medium...now I'm rocking High Settings and getting 50+! with no lag in battles with explosions...it's like night and day difference...very pleased with the upgrade!

Thanks to everyone who helped me choose which would be best, for my budget!

A non K cpu will overclock 4x blck, about 400 Mhz. A 2500K @ 4.6 is less than 30% faster than a fully overclocked 2400.

less but not far from 30% ... 30% probably due to bigger L3 cache

Edited by gL33k

less but not far from 30% ... 30% probably due to bigger L3 cache

no, the L3 cache is the same, only difference is unlocked multi and a faster gpu part, but you dont use that if you have a dedicated gpu card.

Can some one help me out looking to get back into PC gaming and do my first build

I want to be able to play this game and other games without a problem the computer would be used mostly for gaming. I would like the motherboard to be a Asus and the processor a Intel. My budget $1500

Can some one help me out looking to get back into PC gaming and do my first build

I want to be able to play this game and other games without a problem the computer would be used mostly for gaming. I would like the motherboard to be a Asus and the processor a Intel. My budget $1500

I'm in the Uk and just built a new pc but don't no what the prices are like in the Us.

I5 2500 3.8 ghz

Msi H67-MA motherboard

Thermaltake level 10 Gt case

Gainward GTX 580

8GB ripsaw ddr3

650w Powercool psu

150GB Western digital velociraptor

Windows 7 64 bit

Dell st 2220t mulitouch

Arctic silver

For all this it cost me just under £1300

And it runs arma 2 great it's all set to very high except shadows and post processing and a view distance of 6300 and a resolution of 1900x1080

Arctic silver

I'd get:

i5-2500K

Asus P8Z68-V (or V pro) mobo

8GB ddr3 (get valueram 1333 if you dont want to put any effort in comparing)

Scythe Mugen 2 cooler

Antec P183 case

Corsair AX750 (expensive but very efficient, silent and 7yr warranty)

Samsung spinpoint F3 1TB disk

windows 7 pro

As for the gpu the gtx560ti's are quite nice. If you want a faster single gpu you can get the 570 or 580, a bit faster but less bang/buck. Ati 6950 or 6970 are quite fast and maybe better performance for the money. Ati 6870 is a great bang/buck card but with that budget I'd get a faster one. The reason I'd advise nvidia is sli seems to work better than crossfire where arma is concerned, giving you a better upgrade opportunity for only a slight premium. in more mainstream games there isnt much between them apparantly.

If you still have money to spend I'd spend it on a crucial m4 128GB SSD. A 64GB one is a bit small but you can use it as cache with the intel SRT thingy, def. worth it if 128 doesnt fit the budget or you have too many games and software for the 128 GB SSD.

Modern mobo's dont have pata so you cant re-use your old-ass dvd player unless you have a sata one. Although I never use my dvd drive it might be convienient to have one if you buy windows on a dvd (you can get it on usb as well, or copy the dvd contents to a (usb) harddrive).

If you want a really silent pc maybe you'll want to get a couple of scythe gentle typhoon 800rpm fans as well. up to 2 1200 or 1600 rpm fans can be silent as well because the board has case fan control. (might want to check that on the asus site to be sure). There's also 500 rpm fans but the 800 ones are already lower noise than the harddisk and probably much lower than the gpu. (although you can fix that with a custom fanprofile)

I dunno how much this is on newegg or comparable site and if you need a monitor/keyboard/mouse as well but $1500 should go a long way.

Edited by Leon86

How do you guys think this would fair?

- Power Supply: OCZ ZS 750w PSU

- CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K 3.30GHz @ 4.60GHz Sandybridge CPU

- GFX: OcUK GeForce GTX 580 1536MB GDDR5

- Motherboard: Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard ** B3 REVISION **

- Cooler: Corsair H60 CPU Cooler

- RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit w/ 16GB Option available

- Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 6GB/s

Quite good actually...

but myself I'd go for H80 cooler, 8Gb ram LAT 8 and WD black 64Mb cache instead, if that will be your primary HDD.

If not , caviar blue will be fine and I'd go for intel 510 or crucial M4 SSD as primary than

As of GPU I'd go MSI

personal preferences though :)

I5 2500 3.8 ghz

Msi H67-MA motherboard

Thermaltake level 10 Gt case

Gainward GTX 580

8GB ripsaw ddr3

650w Powercool psu

150GB Western digital velociraptor

Windows 7 64 bit

Dell st 2220t mulitouch

Arctic silver

For all this it cost me just under £1300

Yeah, nice and balanced build with quality monitor :)

Edited by Bee8190

If you want to overclock I'd recommend an asus board, or another a-brand that isn't intel. The latest battleground of mobo manufacturers is ivy bridge and pci-e 3.0 compatibility (future generations of gpu's in sli or crossfire might benefit.) So if you might want to upgrade some parts in the future you could look into that.

I just read some news that looked ominous for us gen3 P67/Z68 owners. Looks like due to changes to UEFI these so-called gen3 ivy bridge ready boards aren't gonna be compatible. There's gonna be a world of pain for the vendors if Intel fucks us on this one I tell ya.

Just google "ivy bridge upgrade" news and you'll see what I mean. I sure hope the news is inaccurate.

Look at my post further up the page it will run great and I'm using the stock intel cooler and my CPU is idling at 29-34 with arctic silver and my thermal take level 10 Gt case which is like a giant wind tunnel my gpu hasnt even gone into the 60s yet whilst gaming

My birthday is in 2 weeks :D and im upgrading my computer. I know for sure ill be allowed to get this

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=165445&Sku=B69-5273

I know it doesnt have the good chipset like the P67 but later on ill fix that. Now I just need to know some cheap but good power sources and harddrives that work with SATA 6 because my harddrive now is only SATA 2.

My birthday is in 2 weeks :D and im upgrading my computer. I know for sure ill be allowed to get this

I know it doesnt have the good chipset like the P67 but later on ill fix that. Now I just need to know some cheap but good power sources and harddrives that work with SATA 6 because my harddrive now is only SATA 2.

Go to NewEgg and get the i5 2500k and a cheap H61 board. It won't OC very much, but it'll be stronger than that bundle for around the same price. Then if you get a p67 down the road -your golden.

I've never owned an ECS board and would probably go ASrock or MSI, but the specs generally look simliar for a budget board. I'm assuming you already have ddr3 ram?

Think in perspective. Getting the i5 K version and a pretty low budget MB might not be the best idea. I for one learned my lesson about MBs long time ago: no need to buy the top of the range (it usually means more money for things you'll never need anyways). But neither is the cheapest one available.

Other than that, i would keep away from ECS.

Go for MSI or Asrock for a low budget one, or Asus/Gigabyte or EVGA for medium-high.

You should post more about what other hardware you already have, or things you want to buy together with the CPU/MB now or in the near future.

Go to NewEgg and get the i5 2500k and a cheap H61 board. It won't OC very much, but it'll be stronger than that bundle for around the same price. Then if you get a p67 down the road -your golden.

H61 doesnt overclock at all. If you want to overclock with intel s1155 you need P67 or Z68. If you want to overclock more than 400Mhz you need a "K" cpu.

---------- Post added at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 AM ----------

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=165445&Sku=B69-5273

With this you cant overclock but a 2.8Ghz sandy bridge quad is already very fast. A non overclocked 2500K is less than 20% faster. This bundle should do fine. you dont need a sata 600 harddisk, all sata devices will work fine regardless of speed rating. What you do need with this bundle is:

2 sticks of ddr3, dunno if your current system is ddr3? anyways its really cheap.

a sata dvd drive (no pata connection). or a usb one, that'll work fine too.

@Leon: Sata 600 HDDs don't work on 300 slots (checked it myself, on my Gigabyte MB)). I don't know if 300 Works on 600 ones (doubfully). That said, i know of no MB that has only 600 sata slots, but rather a mix of both

H61 doesnt overclock at all. If you want to overclock with intel s1155 you need P67 or Z68. If you want to overclock more than 400Mhz you need a "K" cpu.

I have a Gigabyte H61 ($80) which I use as an emergency board which I was able to OC my 2500k to 3.8 thru Bios. Not as stellar as my Sabretooth, but you can get mild OC's on some of them.

@Leon: Sata 600 HDDs don't work on 300 slots (checked it myself, on my Gigabyte MB)). I don't know if 300 Works on 600 ones (doubfully). That said, i know of no MB that has only 600 sata slots, but rather a mix of both

usually works fine, I know someone with a crucial c300 in a netbook. normal harddrives shoud work in the 600 slots as well, kind of pointless as all boards have 300 slots.

---------- Post added at 03:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 PM ----------

I have a Gigabyte H61 ($80) which I use as an emergency board which I was able to OC my 2500k to 3.8 thru Bios. Not as stellar as my Sabretooth, but you can get mild OC's on some of them.

strange, do you have any screens?

strange, do you have any screens?

Gigabyte h61m d2p-B3

No, I only used for 1 week while waiting for my RMA Sabretooth but I remember the OC went smooth and was actual a very steady board with a quicker post then my Asus. Also had USB 3.0.

You can see it here:

http://es.gigabyte.com/products/page/mb/ga-h61m-d2p-b3rev_10/overview/

Smart QuickBoost*

One-click Overclocking

I still dont believe it, I've seen reviews of H67 boards where you could select multiplier in the bios but when it booted it was stock again. The oneclick overclocking is just a piece of software, you can use it to underclock as well so I guess that's why they didn't remove it for H61/H67.

Perhaps you are right that it was resetting multiplier without me knowing - I can't say for sure and it ain't worth a build to confirm :)

---------- Post added at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 AM ----------

With this you cant overclock but a 2.8Ghz sandy bridge quad is already very fast. A non overclocked 2500K is less than 20% faster. This bundle should do fine. you dont need a sata 600 harddisk, all sata devices will work fine regardless of speed rating. What you do need with this bundle is:

2 sticks of ddr3, dunno if your current system is ddr3? anyways its really cheap.

a sata dvd drive (no pata connection). or a usb one, that'll work fine too.

I have 4 gigs of DDR3 RAM. SO now I need the SATA dvd drive, hard drive, and probably a new power source. Later on ill change my graphics card.

If you wont change the graphics card you will not need a new psu. Unless you're running a very low power system now the sandy bridge will probably use less.