Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

After doing some research about the GTXs 570 with 2.5GB VRam, I've found this one:

http://www.fudzilla.com/reviews/item/24458-point-of-view-/24458-point-of-view-?start=1

Now I have to choose between the Point of View and EVGA models(and try to find it somewhere around here, lol!).

Right now, I'm thinking about the Point of View model, because of the dual Zalman coolers.

Any suggestions? :)

That POV Beast sounds impressive -can't find a seller anywhere in the states to compare prices but sounds like it it's maybe $100.00 more then a standard 570....thats getting pretty close to 580 :raisebrow:

I found that the best performance improvements i saw were when i overclocked my i7 875k from 2.9 to 4ghz. That along with my ati 5850 running 1920x1080 is silky smooth. I have 8gb ram and run win 7 x64. But would my system even benefit from a faster gpu, and if so how much higher would i have to go?

Would a second 5850 provide any benefit? I already have almost everything on very high.

Would a second 5850 provide any benefit? I already have almost everything on very high.

depends on settings and if the ati driver is any good with arma. Anyone running 5850 in crossfire?

Is it worth upgrading an i7 920 oc to 4.3 stable low temps to and i7 2600k , 2700k or an i7-3930K?

For gaming - No.

I have a 3930K and it does next to nothing where gaming is concerned (compared to the 980x)

Edited by BangTail

Hey guys!

I'm ready to set up my CPU (2500k) and Mobo (Asus P8P67), but I'm not sure if I should use the stock cooler(a lot of people say it sucks, lol!).

I'm not planning to OC right away, but I've been thinking about getting a Cooler Master 212 Plus.

Would the 212 Plus and a thermal compound like ThermalTake TG-1 a good combination to keep the CPU in a safe temperature, even during the summer?

yes. in fact even with the stock cooler you should be ok if you dont oc the cpu

Thanks for the quick answer!

Is the stock cooler good enough to use the CPU @3.7 (2500K turbo mode)?

The stock cooler is pretty much a safe bet provided you aren't doing any off spec OCing (manual OCing). So it should be fine for turbo :)

Thanks!!

I'll use the stock cooler with the ThermalTake TG-1 until I get a better cooler and start OCing.

The stock cooler has its own thermal compound already applied.

It was actually funny when I got the 2500K, and was looking for a thermal compound syringe in the box, then I saw the gray stuff already on the cooler, LOL! :D

Anyway, is the stock cooler thermal compound good to use when not OCing anything?

Of course, it's sufficient to keep the cpu within allowable temperatures in worst case conditions.

The reason you want a big cooler if you want to overclock is you increase the voltage, cpu's degrade by a combination of high temperature with high voltage.

Also, the increased voltage makes temperatures go up a lot (more than just speed increase).

Making something run faster AND cooler than stock just requires a bit of cooling overkill, at stock the intel mini heatsink is sufficient.

I assembled all the basic components(2500K(with stock cooler),Asus P8P67,2X4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600, and a weak 350W PSU to test my rig).

Now I need to choose a GPU and PSU.

The EVGA GTX 570 with 2.5GB of VRAM is the same price as a ECS GTX 580 1.5GB VRAM around here(and over my budget).

Anyway, Arma demands a lot of VRAM, but would a MSI GTX 570 1.25GB Twin Frozr II screw up everything because it's lack of VRAM, or it's still possible to play without a lot of problems? (I can get the MSI 570 for a good price here, that's why I want to make sure if it's a good choice or not).

About the PSU, I've been thinking about the Corsair GS800, but, which other PSU brands do you guys recomend?

Thanks! :)

1.2GB is borderline OK but you may run into memory limitations depending on your resolution and detail settings.

Corsair PSUs are fine :)

I am in process of a new build. We'll see if there is any improvement. At 2560x1600 res. and I averaged 54FPS (AA off - VD 2600)

OLD BUILD (no longer have it)

Dell 30" U3011 Monitor

Core i7-980X Gulftown 3.33GHz Six Core

Corsair H50 CPU Cooler

12GB Corsair Dominator 1066 DDR3 (2GBx6)

240GB OCZ Vertex 2 SATA II SSD

WD 600GB Storage HDD

EVGA SuperClocked GeForce GTX 580 1536MB

Corsair Professional Series Gold AX1200 PS

Corsair 600T Case

NEW BUILD

Dell 30" U3011 Monitor

Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Quad Core

Corsair H50 CPU Cooler

16GB Corsair Vengence 1600 DDR3 (4GBx4)

256GB Crucial M4 SATA III SSD

WD 1TB Storage HDD

EVGA GeForce GTX 580 Classified 3072MB

Corsair Professional Series Gold AX1200 PS

Corsair 600T Case

Edited by SWAT_Glock
typo

I'm sorry, but why are you building a new rig? If the only reason is arma, then the improvement you'll notice will be minimal at best...if any

I'm sorry, but why are you building a new rig? If the only reason is arma, then the improvement you'll notice will be minimal at best...if any

No, Arma is not the only reason plus I should of mentioned that I no longer have the old system. :cool:

It will be nice to see if the newer architecture, chipset, native SATA 3, and a 3GB video card make any difference at that res. Both CPUs can OC to about the same so I'll see if 4 vs 6 core make any diff.

3GB will help at 2560 x 1600. 1.5GB is nowhere near enough at that res with high detail/AA etc.

There isn't going to be much difference between CPUs vis a vis ArmA 2 (except that the 2600K has more OCing overhead than the 980x).

I read that too, the 3GB allowing me to up the setting a bit at that res. I'll post the improvements (if any) once I get it together.

I run at that res myself and I have seen video memory usage as high as 2.7GB.

Hope you enjoy your new build :D

Edited by BangTail