Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

Anyone tried AMD FX CPU in Arma2 ?

with decent 2400Mhz memory it could make difference, cause aside UT3, its only game, noticed switching from 1300Mhz DDRIII to 1600MHz DDRIII by about 6%-8% FPS boost :P

Well this would be my first build, I'm not too tech savvy I threw this together after a few days research. I was going to reuse my current HDD (until the prices went down) which I believe is this, would that cause problems?

No worries, it will be good rig, just as i said ditch the ram for this one or this one, same price..

Also here have it bit cheaper and you can get it as combo plus you might get free delivery

the HDD is ok though but SSD would be nice :p

Hello, I'm a novice when it comes to PC specs so bare with me :). I'm looking for a laptop that will run ArmA 2 (and hopefully ArmA 3) with high detail and fast/smooth gameplay.

I'd be grateful if someone can give me an insight into wether either of these two specs will run it as good as some of those excellent youtube clips I've seen, and if so which one would you recommend (if any).

i5 Dual Core Mobile Processor i5-2520M (2.50GHz) 3MB Cache

8GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)

nVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M - 2GB DDR3

80GB INTEL 320 SERIES SSD, SATA 3

i7 Dual Core Mobile Processor i7-2640M (2.80GHz) 4MB

4GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 2GB)

nVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M - 2GB DDR3

80GB INTEL® 320 SERIES SSD, SATA 3

Spec #2 has a better processor but a slighly inferior card and less memory.

Also, it may be a bit early to know, but how would either of these fare with ArmA 3 when its released?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hello, I'm a novice when it comes to PC specs so bare with me :). I'm looking for a laptop that will run ArmA 2 (and hopefully ArmA 3) with high detail and fast/smooth gameplay.

That is very close to impossible. At least for the pricerange you are after.

Have a look over HERE for a proper gaming laptop, but for quite a price (2x the same config for a desktop PC)...

That is very close to impossible. At least for the pricerange you are after.

Have a look over HERE for a proper gaming laptop, but for quite a price (2x the same config for a desktop PC)...

Thanks for the link. I'll have a browse through thier catalogue but want to avoid shipping charges if possible (I'm in the UK).

With the specs I listed how would ArmA 2 fare with lower - medium details. Would it still be playable with an adequate frame rate, or are those specs simply not up to it at all? My budget is around £650-£750, if thats any help.

Thanks again.

Thanks PuFu.

What do you think of the following desk-top mini pc? This is with ArmA 3 in mind after looking at its (possible) specifications...

Is this graphics card suffcient? Would I get a decent level of graphics with smooth gameplay with a rig like this on ArmA 2 as well? Sorry for all the noob questions :o

Thermaltake Armor A30 Mini-ITX Gaming Case + 450W PSU

Intel® Core™i7-2600S Quad Core (2.8GHz, 8MB Cache) + HD Graphics

INTEL® DH67CF: Mini-ITX, LG1155, USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs, RAID

8GB SAMSUNG DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 4GB)

1GB AMD RADEON™ HD6770 - DVI,HDMI,VGA - DX® 11

120GB INTEL® 320 SERIES SSD, SATA 3 Gb/s (upto 270MB/sR | 130MB/sW)

24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM

10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT

Cheers.

Can I ask why you're looking at non desktop solutions?

I just prefer laptops, although it looks like I'll have to go with a desktop if I want to keep within my budget and still get a good/decent performance from ArmA2. My current laptop just doesn't cut it :(

edit: my budget is £700. So if anyone can recommend a setup that falls within that, that will give me a good performance from ArmA 2 (and hopefully ArmA 3) it'd be much appreciated!

Edited by Kamzell

£700 might be a bit too little, especially in the Uk where components are higher priced than in US for instance.

For 1000£ (i know that is 40% more than you got as budget), you can get

i7 2600k

a proper z68 mainboard

gtx560 TI 2GB

8gb 1600 Ram

1TB Caviar Black (Sata3) 64mb buffer HDD

650-750 PSU

Optical drive

a pretty case...

a mouse and keyboard (not from the gaming world)

and NO monitor.

That said, with that PC you will enjoy A2 quite a lot, and it is pretty "future proof", especially if you throw a SSD in sometimes before A3 comes out

Thanks :) I may have to hold off a while longer then and go for something like that when finances allow.

Cheers!

How well would the following PC run Arma 2?

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68P-DS3

CPU: Intel I5 2500k

GPU: HD 6850 1GB

RAM: 2X4 8GB 1600MHz

This is an updated build from a few pages back to fit my budget. I will be reusing the other components not mentioned. It all comes to around £380

How well would the following PC run Arma 2

yes, quite decently i would say

Batch, if you happen to have a little extra coin for an SSD you'll be very pleased I think, at how Arma2 performs on that system. But even with a standard HDD it'll be very playable due to fast CPU.

Love the case Pufu, i was lurking around for one quite a while but with all cases looking like alien crap or too overpriced, this one seems to be exactly what i ghad in mind!! TY very much! :)

OP - Pufu setup looks right and I'd go for it myself but if you on budget, maybe some Ati 1gb could do before Nvidia release their 660 sometimes in Q2.

Ofc - 7xxx cards looks badass too ;)

Love the case Pufu, i was lurking around for one quite a while but with all cases looking like alien crap or too overpriced, this one seems to be exactly what i ghad in mind!! TY very much! :)

I never liked the "gaming" cases, with the bling bling and the pimping leds etc.

I currently own Zalman MS1000 HS1 on one of my PCs, which i am really pleased of. Unfortunatly, my provider was out of stock when i build my second PC, Anidees was also out...well

Here is Guru3d review of that AI-6 case: REVIEW

I like the antec P183, only thing wrong with it is the tricool fans, which are loud for the low ammounts of air they move.

P280 has gotten ridiculously wide though, and they didnt make the door wider so it looks like crap.

Edited by Leon86

£700 might be a bit too little, especially in the Uk where components are higher priced than in US for instance.

For 1000£ (i know that is 40% more than you got as budget), you can get

i7 2600k

a proper z68 mainboard

gtx560 TI 2GB

8gb 1600 Ram

1TB Caviar Black (Sata3) 64mb buffer HDD

650-750 PSU

Optical drive

a pretty case...

a mouse and keyboard (not from the gaming world)

and NO monitor.

That said, with that PC you will enjoy A2 quite a lot, and it is pretty "future proof", especially if you throw a SSD in sometimes before A3 comes out

I've found the following setup for £799 (which I could stretch to if its worth it). Would I get a similar performance in ArmA 2 to the setup you listed above?

CPU: AMD Phenomâ„¢ II X6 1055T Six-Core CPU

VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 2GB 16X PCIe Video Card

HDD: 120 GB Corsair Force Series 3 SATA III Gaming MLC Solid State Disk (Single Hard Drive)

MEMORY: 8GB (4x2GB) PC12800 DDR3/1600mhz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair XMS3 w/Heat Spreader)

MOTHERBOARD: Asus M5A99X EVO AMD 990X Chipset CrossFireX / SLI support for Socket AM3+ AMD CPU DDR3/1333 Mainboard ATX, PCI-E 2.0, DDR3 1333/1600/1800/1866, USB3.0, SATA-III /s, RAID, ATX

PSU: Coolermaster 650Watt GX Bronze Gaming Power Supply, SLI / Crossfire ready

SOUND: Creative Labs SB Audigy SE

ONBOARD 10/1000 NETWORK CARD or a Killer 2100 Gigabit Maximum Network Performance Online Gaming PCI-E Network Interface Card for an extra £56 (is it worth it?)

I've looked at some youtube clips of ArmA 2 that use the AMD Phenom II X6 1055T card and it looks impressive on there.

But I can change the card for around £35 extra to a GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB. Or is the 2GB GTX 560 (without Ti) a better option? Or I could even change it to a ATI Radeon HD 6870 PCI-E 16X 1GB DDR5 for just £3 extra.

Again, advice is very much appreciated.

Edited by Kamzell

2GB video card bud, I wouldn't go with anything less these days.

---------- Post added at 01:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 PM ----------

OP - Pufu setup looks right and I'd go for it myself but if you on budget, maybe some Ati 1gb could do before Nvidia release their 660 sometimes in Q2.

http://www.fudzilla.com/graphics/item/25396-kepler-to-show-its-face-in-q1-2012

It's coming in Q1 (barring any delays) :D

I've found the following setup for £799 (which I could stretch to if its worth it). Would I get a similar performance in ArmA 2 to the setup you listed above?

CPU: AMD Phenomâ„¢ II X6 1055T Six-Core CPU

VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 2GB 16X PCIe Video Card

HDD: 120 GB Corsair Force Series 3 SATA III Gaming MLC Solid State Disk (Single Hard Drive)

MEMORY: 8GB (4x2GB) PC12800 DDR3/1600mhz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair XMS3 w/Heat Spreader)

MOTHERBOARD: Asus M5A99X EVO AMD 990X Chipset CrossFireX / SLI support for Socket AM3+ AMD CPU DDR3/1333 Mainboard ATX, PCI-E 2.0, DDR3 1333/1600/1800/1866, USB3.0, SATA-III /s, RAID, ATX

PSU: Coolermaster 650Watt GX Bronze Gaming Power Supply, SLI / Crossfire ready

SOUND: Creative Labs SB Audigy SE

ONBOARD 10/1000 NETWORK CARD or a Killer 2100 Gigabit Maximum Network Performance Online Gaming PCI-E Network Interface Card for an extra £56 (is it worth it?)

I've looked at some youtube clips of ArmA 2 that use the AMD Phenom II X6 1055T card and it looks impressive on there.

But I can change the card for around £35 extra to a GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB. Or is the 2GB GTX 560 (without Ti) a better option? Or I could even change it to a ATI Radeon HD 6870 PCI-E 16X 1GB DDR5 for just £3 extra.

Again, advice is very much appreciated.

I don't have first hand experience for the last couple of years AMD CPUs, so i cannot really compare between the two. The i7 2600k should still be a better bet, especially if A3 will support the virtual cores as well. Not saying the X6 is a bad CPU btw (i think it has a high tolerance for OC as well)

Overall the system above seems well priced for what you got for, especially since there is a SDD in the mix. There is a downsize there: there is NO normal HDD, and 120GBs for a todays computer is very limited space. So you need to take into account that you'll most likely fork £100 on 1TB sata3 drive...

Regarding RAM: you won't need more that 8gb of ram for gaming. the 560ti 2GB is a better GPU that the 6870, not only for arma, for for most games out there

£56 for a network card is very overpriced...so no, it doesn't really worth it

I think nvidia will fork out the 680 or whatever is gonna be called the top of the line card, before they get the 560 and 570 successors out (which is a smarter choice price/performance wise even for the enthusiast on some sort of fixed budget)...so might be a bit longer than Q1..

Edited by PuFu

2GB video card bud, I wouldn't go with anything less these days.

For A2 and OA, a 1GB video card is sufficient, even at high resolutions (2560x1600).

Verdict from reputed website

Main developer at BI Studios

...so might be a bit longer than Q1..

I couldn't agree more. Among AMD and NVidia paper launches appear to be increasingly common.

Plus the recent turmoil in Asia isn't going to make matters any easier.

Edited by domokun

1GB is nowhere near enough for gaming at 2560 x 1600. I can fire ArmA 2 up and watch the memory go over 1.5GB and then over 2GB on my G19's LCD.

You'll notice that the 3GB 580 isn't even present in the Benchmark @ 2560 x1600 on the Bit Tech site and there is no context, they could have been standing on Utes for all you know.

I would also comment that you are taking that dev's post out of context because there is nothing in what you quoted where he definitively states '1GB is sufficient for gaming at 2560 x 1600'.

I'll take the Industry's general consensus when it comes to launch dates over your opinion any day of the week :D

Essentially, nothing you posted proves anything and I know from my own experience that what you are claiming is totally inaccurate.

Edited by BangTail

Curious if the Arma 3d resolution setting had any bearing on the video card ram - meaning I run the game at 1920 x 1080 but raise the 3d setting to 125%.

Do my sli 460's 1gb have any effect on this?

Curious if the Arma 3d resolution setting had any bearing on the video card ram - meaning I run the game at 1920 x 1080 but raise the 3d setting to 125%.

Do my sli 460's 1gb have any effect on this?

I just tested right now.

At the centre of Chernogorsk @ 2560 x 1600 - 100% 3D - 1440MB

At the centre of Chernogorsk @ 2560 x 1600 - 125% 3D - 1700MB

So short answer, yes it does. I'm also using SMAA as opposed to conventional AA and conventional AA may well produce an even bigger gap.

I did this test with no AI or anything loaded, just me standing in the centre of Chernogorsk.

Cool thanks -also using SMAA but I was always curious.

I have split personality when it comes to upgrades as part of me is always looking for an excuse to get something new and shiny (but only if performance increase is dramatically noticeable), while the other side wants to get the most out of my current rig.

Honestly the 2500k is probably the happiest any chip has ever made me and the 460's are still holding their own -think I'll wait to see what Kepler will bring to the table just in time for Arma 3 :)

If the Keplar rumours turn out to be true, then it is going to be well worth the wait but if it turns out to be the same story as the 7970 (6990 beater, 100% faster than the 6970 etc etc AKA - FUD) then I will be very disappointed.

The 'I must try all hardware' side of me wants to order 7970s but the 'I hate their drivers' side of me prevents it. Having said that, if Nvidia comes up short, I may well try the red team again.

Edited by BangTail