Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

I absolutely must get 4870X2 and then I'll decide about processor.

what does the model detail do? what about shadows on medium? i play arma with low shadows and medium AA and really dont see much difference between high on them. Do you know what FPS i might get if i run on 1024x768? say everything high but 1KM distance, and a few things on medium like AA and AF,Shadows?. I wanna have Post Processing on High though.

What settings do you have for yourself?

I absolutely must get 4870X2 and then I'll decide about processor.

IMO why do you need such a powerful PC? why not save $$ :P?

Personally i wish i could get x2 cards but i can't afford it. Im a 17 year old high school student who makes only $70 NZD a week.., use to make $200 but business sucks at the moment. plus i give away half to help out my family. I make my money mostly through buying stuff cheap and selling on trademe (nz version of ebay) for higher.

Lol if only i was a millionaire hell better be a trillionaire, i wonder what kind of PC i could build with $100,000 USD. :D

Im selling my xbox 360 which i don't play so i could save up for possible future upgrades if needed.

It's just my need, nothing more... If I've opportunity to buy it why should I not do it?

As I say before, I've 26" Full HD monitor and I want play on 1920 x 1200 with most settings on HIGH... which cheaper graphic card can give me over 25fps with those settings during great warfare battle? I think, non.

Askl yourself this: when was your hardware first released?

After that, dare and complain about ArmA2 performance, considering the scale of the simulation, which it is.

I understand that people complained about Armed Assault performance when it came out. Even with new hardware it was a challenge to get 60fps on normal settings. (normal means "today's standard")

But ArmA II supposedly runs smoother than Armed Assault on the same hardware on the same settings. Adding to that the fact that hardware has gotten increasingly faster since Armed Assault came out, there is really no reason to complain about anything other than the size of your wallet or your concerns for the environment.

I think I made my point. This is not a flame but rather a wake up shout.

Maybe, but the problem is more complex, i put all on very high and the game runs on 20 fps, the i put it on very slow and runs on 20 fps too... its strange, and the game look pretty good but it´s not the 7th wonder.

I think this game is so good in graphics, in IA, in simulation of sounds, lanscapes, environement... all you want yes its great.

But for me it has to be optimised for a more stable framerate, to run at least at 25 fps in any case(normal spec pc).

In my case arma 2 runs worst than arma 1 at the same configuration, its a fact. Runs 1/3 slowler than arma 1.

The case is that its is probably because the IA drains so much CPU power and my cores are only at 2GHz. I noticed taht when the combat beggins the drop of frames are of -10fps or more.

I will be waiting for a new patch to see if the performance increases making it playable.

Regards from spain.:bounce3:

Russianguy192 remove image tags when quoting please.

Hello ppl.-

Im new here and actually really new to the whole ARMA scene although was playing the Operation Flashpoint and Delta Force games when they where relased.. (ages agoo)

Anyway.

Im about to buy a new Graphic Card for the ARMA 2 release and wonder if i could get some inputs on what to buy.

I have the following system:

Intel Core2Quad x64 2.33Ghz

4GB DDR2 Corsair

Asus Rampage Motherboard

And now to what i have been looking on, tell me wich you think:

1. PALIT GEFORCE GTX 260 1792MB DDR3 PCI-E DVI

http://www.palit.biz/main/vgapro.php?id=1070#spec

2. PALIT GEFORCE GTX 275 896MB DDR3 PCI-E DVI

http://www.palit.biz/main/vgapro.php?id=1156

3.ASUS GEFORCE GTX 275 896MB DDR3 PCI-E DVI

http://uk.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=2&l2=6&l3=934&l4=0&model=2964&modelmenu=1

What im thinking of is the "Palit 260" for its memory 1792MB, although Asus Geforce has always been reliable, especially with an Asus motherboard.

Also one other thing i have noticed is that some card have GDDR3 while ome always has DDR3, what is the real difference, is there any?

What would you choose or do you have any card in mind in the same price tag araound 250Euro´s.

thank you so much for any inputs.

Regards.

/Rickard Aka "N.Sipher"

I'd recomend a ATI HD4000 series card. Whichever one suits your spending limit. But a GTX 260 would also be decent.

Edited by Nicholas

I'd recomend a ATI HD4000 series card. Whichever one suits your spending limit. But a GTX 260 would also be decent.
Yes, this is what I found on an Arma 2 benchmark:
In the upper class ArmA 2 likes Radeon graphics cards. So the HD 4890 can beat the GTX 285 and the HD 4870/1G beats the GTX 275.
That and they're 100 euros/150 dollars cheaper.

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,685770/Armed-Assault-2-Graphics-card-benchmarks-and-visual-quality-compared/Practice/

Edited by SgtH3nry3

I have a HD4870 512mb, how big difference would a 1gig make? Anyone compared 512mb vs 1gig cards?

I have a HD4870 512mb, how big difference would a 1gig make? Anyone compared 512mb vs 1gig cards?

Oh man. You wouldn't believe(Im nto being sarcastic either) More VRam especially 1 or 2GB will make a HUGE difference, i went from having i think 256MB on my 1950Pro to HD4870 1GB to my current HD4870x2 2GB card and it just seems much faster, like loading stuff... But it makes a big dfference BUT, the thing is getting the dual card I didn't notice much because not many games utilize both GPU's and all VRam yet.

I want to play arma 2 on normal but my pc is very old this are my specs:

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090206-1234)

System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.

System Model: Dell DXP051

BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A03

Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.20GHz (2 CPUs)

Memory: 2046MB RAM

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 6800

And I can have 375W

My question is what kind of video card I need to buy to play arma 2 on normal settings?

I want change my processor only for arma 2 (i already buy a 4870). It s better to take an core i7 (920) or a quad q9550 (i will oc them) ? The price is not the question, only the better performance.

Sorry if the answer was already been given, i read 10 pages but there is 57 !

I already have a E6600 and i bought the german and it s work between 20 and 50 fps in 1440*900, viewdistance 3000, very high setting and fillrate 100%.

My Specs:

Motherboard: ECS 780GXM-A

CPU : PenomII 920 , 2,6 Ghz, Quad

graficcard: Ati 4780, 1GB, Vapor-X

Memory: 3,5 gB (4 GB but 32 Version)

ArmA2 works well on very high detail (füllrate to 150%), just very low on postprocessing (because I hate it), constant 30-40FPS and ArmA2 is awsome. :eek: :)

Oh man. You wouldn't believe(Im nto being sarcastic either) More VRam especially 1 or 2GB will make a HUGE difference, i went from having i think 256MB on my 1950Pro to HD4870 1GB to my current HD4870x2 2GB card and it just seems much faster, like loading stuff... But it makes a big dfference BUT, the thing is getting the dual card I didn't notice much because not many games utilize both GPU's and all VRam yet.

Hmm, I have a 1950pro with 256MB of memory and I'm thinking of getting a 1GB HD4870 as with my current card I have to run ARMA 2 with mostly everything at low and I'm still not satisfied with the FPS I'm getting. So I take it the HD4870 would make a big difference then? I'm playing at 1280x1024 and my processor is a C2D E6750 2.66GHz. I could easily OC it to 3.2GHz or more. You think I could run ARMA 2 on high-ish settings with that setup?

Hello, the only thing I need to upgrade is my graphics card.

ATM I have: Nvidia Geforce 8800GS, real budget-card (store-computer)

I am thinking of getting: ASUS RADEON HD4890 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E DVI.

Will that work fine?

//Jocke!

Hmm, I have a 1950pro with 256MB of memory and I'm thinking of getting a 1GB HD4870 as with my current card I have to run ARMA 2 with mostly everything at low and I'm still not satisfied with the FPS I'm getting. So I take it the HD4870 would make a big difference then? I'm playing at 1280x1024 and my processor is a C2D E6750 2.66GHz. I could easily OC it to 3.2GHz or more. You think I could run ARMA 2 on high-ish settings with that setup?

Yeah, you could definatly run ArmA 2 on High/Medium settings, depends what CPU you got too though.

I would like to know the difference between 512mb and 1gb graphic card like Odjob posted. I read SWAT BigBear answer but i don't see the point since nowhere in his link ArmaII is discussed.

Does anyone know if ArmaII takes advantage of those extra 512mb? Maybe with max settings?

Regards.

hello everybody,

I will like ask you comments about my system:

Intel Core Duo 6600 @ 2.60 ...

Asus P5B E-PLUS

Gigabyte 9600 GT 1GO

G.Skill 2Go Ram

I have a bit lags with this config system...So, Which piece do I will change to win more fps ?

(I have 30)

Thks vry much = )

I would like to know the difference between 512mb and 1gb graphic card like Odjob posted. I read SWAT BigBear answer but i don't see the point since nowhere in his link ArmaII is discussed.

Does anyone know if ArmaII takes advantage of those extra 512mb? Maybe with max settings?

Regards.

Yes i was hoping someone with "hands on" experience of Arma2 with 512mb + 1gig card would answer as that is the only way to find out.

I dont want to throw money on a 1gig card just to find out that there is practicaly no difference. (i have a 512mb HD4870)

You wouldn't believe(Im nto being sarcastic either) More VRam especially 1 or 2GB will make a HUGE difference, i went from having i think 256MB on my 1950Pro to HD4870 1GB to my current HD4870x2 2GB card and it just seems much faster, like loading stuff... .

The speed difference between all those cards you mentioned is primarily (i'd say about 90-95%) due to the efficiency of the GPU design, not the quantity of VRAM. If you compared a 512MB with a 1024MB HD4870 you'd notice a slight difference, mainly at higher resolutions, but not a profound one.

The point is - there is no point in upgrading from a 512MB HD4870 to a 1GB one. If you were going out to buy a new graphics card tomorrow to replace a much older model, you'd definitely want a 1GB HD4870, but splashing out €200 to get what is almost exactly the same graphics card is completely pointless.

I want change my processor only for arma 2 (i already buy a 4870). It s better to take an core i7 (920) or a quad q9550 (i will oc them) ? The price is not the question, only the better performance.

If you already have a LGA775 board, go for a Q9650. If you need a replacement board, go for a Phenom II 955. On paper, the Core i7 is slightly faster, but not enought to justify the cost. There's also the fact that the lower end models (920 and 940) are going to be replaced with the Core i5, as the performance of the i5 is similar to the i7. This means that the i7 will be relegated to extreme edition CPUs, meaning that you are limited to upgrading to €1000 CPUs in the future. The i5, and it's associated motherboard, will be a good bit cheaper than what you'd pay for the i7 now. Point is - if money isnt a problem, get an i7, but you'd be wasting your money... Get a Q9650 or a Phenom II instead.

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090206-1234)

System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.

System Model: Dell DXP051

BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A03

Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.20GHz (2 CPUs)

Memory: 2046MB RAM

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 6800

And I can have 375W

Unfortunately, a Dual Core CPU is the minimum spec, and you'd probably need a new motherboard to replace the one you have. As Dell tend to use non-standard parts, that may not be possible. I think it might be new PC time...

I will like ask you comments about my system:

Intel Core Duo 6600 @ 2.60 ...

Asus P5B E-PLUS

Gigabyte 9600 GT 1GO

G.Skill 2Go Ram

You could try overclocking your CPU, and maybe replace the graphics card with something like the Radeon HD4870. For a more substantial upgrade, you'd might want to consider replacing the motherboard and CPU, and get yourself a Phenom II.

Edited by echo1

If you already have a LGA775 board, go for a Q9650. If you need a replacement board, go for a Phenom II 955. On paper, the Core i7 is slightly faster, but not enought to justify the cost. There's also the fact that the lower end models (920 and 940) are going to be replaced with the Core i5, as the performance of the i5 is similar to the i7. This means that the i7 will be relegated to extreme edition CPUs, meaning that you are limited to upgrading to €1000 CPUs in the future. The i5, and it's associated motherboard, will be a good bit cheaper than what you'd pay for the i7 now. Point is - if money isnt a problem, get an i7, but you'd be wasting your money... Get a Q9650 or a Phenom II instead.

Thx for the answer ch_123, you tried the 3 processors (Q9650, core i7 and Phenom II) with arma2 ?

Heh, I haven't even tried ArmA II yet. I'm basing my claims on general benchmarks of those processor's performance that I've read, but I've read some posts around here that suggest all three are up for the job. I intend on getting a Phenom II this summer, hopefully before ArmA 2 comes out over here :D

what do you think guys ? can my pc run arma 2 ?

AMD 7750 2,7 Ghz

2 GB DDR2 667 mhz ram (can be upgraded)

Palit 8800GT sonic

17" CRT monitor

Windows XP