Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

Do you guys think my 2GB RAM is too low? I mean at most Arma 2 would be running on half a GB wouldn't it? Shared beween my GPU and running Vista? Will 4GB improve my FPS by at least 5?

Do you guys think my 2GB RAM is too low? I mean at most Arma 2 would be running on half a GB wouldn't it? Shared beween my GPU and running Vista? Will 4GB improve my FPS by at least 5?

Cant tell without knowing the rest of your system.

I know a lot of it is oldish, but it plays rather well in most scenarios, but it doesn't seem to like heavy combat and/or being in towns for too long. I've noticed textures are taking awhile to load (dull or white textures coming in gradually, esspecially in heavy combat or towns and this seems to lower my fps a lot when it happens). I don't mind playing low-normal, which I do, but a little more fps somewhere would be nice.

Windows Vista 32bit Home Premium

Nvidia 8800 GT

Pentium D 935 3.20Ghz (I was told by my friend it is actually quite good for a dual core)

550 Watt PSU

2GB RAM

hey i want to know what view distance and setting i could set with my computer. i don't use AA or PPE at all on a resolution of 1366x768

AMD dual core 2.7ghz

6gb of ddr2 800

7200 rpm hard drive

visiontek hd 5670 1gb ddr5

ok, so here is what i wanna buy:

#AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition, 6x3,2GHz

#Asus Crosshair IV Formula, 890FX

#Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B Cpu-Fan

#Be quite! Straigt Power E7-CM600W

#500GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 - 8,9ms, 9200rpm

#G.Skill Ripjaws DIMM PC3-10667U CL7-7-7-21 DDR3-1333 4GB RAM

+ Zotac Geforce GTX470 AMP! Edition 1280MB GDDR5

OR

+ ATI HD5870 1GB (no idea which exactly)

How u think Arma2 and OA will run on this system or what would you change?

@Leon, hehe Thx^^ but i am ok with GPU for like 350€, because i want a rig, where i dont have to change anything the next 2-years :D

personally id get an am3 sli board from newegg and snag a gtx 470 they run dx 11 much better and you can sli when you want to get a 2nd card.to me a gtx 470 is more future proof with better performance in direct x11 alone.heres the board i got and its a good board http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131636&cm_re=am_3_sli-_-13-131-636-_-Product and yes this will run your 6 core amd

ok, so here is what i wanna buy:

#AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition, 6x3,2GHz

#Asus Crosshair IV Formula, 890FX

#Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B Cpu-Fan

#Be quite! Straigt Power E7-CM600W

#500GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 - 8,9ms, 9200rpm

#G.Skill Ripjaws DIMM PC3-10667U CL7-7-7-21 DDR3-1333 4GB RAM

+ Zotac Geforce GTX470 AMP! Edition 1280MB GDDR5

OR

+ ATI HD5870 1GB (no idea which exactly)

How u think Arma2 and OA will run on this system or what would you change?

@Leon, hehe Thx^^ but i am ok with GPU for like 350€, because i want a rig, where i dont have to change anything the next 2-years :D

Okay, dump that shitty 6X amd and get a 955 or 965 BE, or swap to intel i5 750 and 1156 mobo.

---------- Post added at 08:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 AM ----------

2GB is far too low for anything over 1024x768 resolution nowadays.

---------- Post added at 08:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 AM ----------

Are you sure? I don't have the best CPU, I know, but I checked the recommended system requirements, and my CPU meets the recommended requirement.

And are you sure about my GPU? It should be a tad under the GTX 260, which I know runs great on ArmA 2 from videos I've seen from Youtube. Looking at the specs of the GTS 250, it is better than a 9800 GT, and the 9800 GT also runs ArmA 2 quite well.

I am sure since I have an Athlon x2 7850 with 4870HD and I barely run the game on max 1920x1080 with no pp and AA at medium, V-sync disabled 20-25 fps. Your cpu and gpu are low-end dated components so I wouldn't even try the game before getting a new pc... Sorry.

---------- Post added at 09:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 AM ----------

It'll run, it's above the minimum requirements, don't know how well it will run, try the demos if you want to test it. If you're buying the card new I suggest you look at something slightly faster.

---------- Post added at 09:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 AM ----------

Only difference between the 955 and the 965 is a 200 Mhz higher clockspeed, if you get a BE you can easily do this yourself. But why even bother, it's only 200/3200 = 6.25% faster.

You serious? Overclocking your CPU in this game gives a MASSIVE boost in FPS.. On my dualcore when you OC it from 2.8 to 3.1 it give 6 fps boost, from 18 to 24.. I'd say you should overclock it.

Also when you buy an AMD be sure to look it is produced with a C3 stepping for much lower TDP which allows far higher OC'ing.

---------- Post added at 09:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 AM ----------

Ok, think I've decided on a build:

AMD Phenom QuadCore 955, 3,2GHz 65nm AM3, 8MB

4GB DUAL DDR3 1333MHz

MSI GeForce N460GTX Cyclone 1GD5 OC

Win7 Home Premium 64-Bit

I would like to get the AMD Phenom X4 965 but it isn't available anywhere. Think I'll get good results with this machine?

65nm, you serious? get a 45nm.

---------- Post added at 09:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 AM ----------

personally id get an am3 sli board from newegg and snag a gtx 470 they run dx 11 much better and you can sli when you want to get a 2nd card.to me a gtx 470 is more future proof with better performance in direct x11 alone.heres the board i got and its a good board http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131636&cm_re=am_3_sli-_-13-131-636-_-Product and yes this will run your 6 core amd

Or get dual GTX 460 1GB and you won't have to worry about upgrading for the next 3 years since the console games won't get any more intensive for your system till 2013 when it is estimated to first new generation console to launch.

Overlocked dual GTX 460 1GB give more performance than almost dual 5870.

Do not get a 5970 since it has microstuttering.

Edited by Primarch

I think this is where I post this.

-My CPU is an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+

-My Graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250.

I do believe I can run ArmA 2, but can anybody estimate how well ArmA 2 will run on my system?

I run Arma 2 on 4200+ (2x2.2 GHz) and 8600GT 265 mb ddr3 and 3 Gb RAM. 1024:768, details normal. I can play multi.

Okay, dump that shitty 6X amd and get a 955 or 965 BE, or swap to intel i5 750 and 1156 mobo.

Why shitty 6x AMD?

Fanboy of intel, or any real reasons behind it?

In tests, the AMD 6X is pretty good. Only CPUs better are the TRIPPLE more expensive intel i7 965 BE. And i wont pay 1000€ more just for a CPU..

And thx for the hint with the X58, will think about it :)

But as far as i know, SLI has lot of microstutter, is that correct?

Nope, SLI is better than CF in my experience and I've owned most of the current high end cards.

I did not like the 5970 at all, 5870 CF was better and 480 SLI is my preference until the next big thing (ATI's 6 series).

Why shitty 6x AMD?

In tests, the AMD 6X is pretty good. Only CPUs better are the TRIPPLE more expensive intel i7 965 BE. And i wont pay 1000€ more just for a CPU..

sli is better then cf its more mature to boot.dont listen to the guy telling you the 6 core is crap i would take a 965 be over the 1055T but the 1090T is a sweet proccessor

Why shitty 6x AMD?

holy shit man, do you even know what you're talking about? I had to take a picture of that post.

Edited because I couldn't finish the post with this amount of lulz.

AMD 6X is not enough powerful for the price atm.. 200€ for the power of a 940BE in gaming use is not just a good deal.

So why you should get a !AMD! PHENOM II X4 965 BE or 955 BE (didn't even know i7 phenoms exist) is that 965 goes for 50-100€ cheaper than the cheaper Thuban, and 150-200€ cheaper than the better Thuban.

If Intel, you should get i5 750 for max performance/ price right now, for the price of 200€ on cpu... it delivers when overclocked i7 930 stock performance which is atleast quite fine.

The SLI setup has no microstutter which you would notice if you don't FUCK up your system pretty hard.

CF is fine too but Nvidia just does the better drivers, which is a simple fact.

Anyone not agreeing with these points is either a troll or a moron, if no reliable source is pointed.

Edited by Primarch

Need a tad of help.

heres my system-

Intel Core i7-920 @ 3.43ghz

nvidia Gtx260 c216 (also oc'd)

6gb ddr3-1033

Win 7 home 64bit

I get literally around 10-20 fps in singleplayer and 10-30 in MP (with all sort of stuttering and jittery movements). @ 1920x1080 reso.

I've turned of post processing, AA/AF, every setting to normal and draw distance to 3200.

Im at lost as i can't even play the game. (low settings only give a 4-5 fps boost... not helpful)

So if anyone can assist, ill be glad.

holy shit man, do you even know what you're talking about? I had to take a picture of that post.

Edited because I couldn't finish the post with this amount of lulz.

AMD 6X is not enough powerful for the price atm.. 200€ for the power of a 940BE in gaming use is not just a good deal.

So why you should get a !AMD! PHENOM II X4 965 BE or 955 BE (didn't even know i7 phenoms exist) is that 965 goes for 50-100€ cheaper than the cheaper Thuban, and 150-200€ cheaper than the better Thuban.

If Intel, you should get i5 750 for max performance/ price right now, for the price of 200€ on cpu... it delivers when overclocked i7 930 stock performance which is atleast quite fine.

The SLI setup has no microstutter which you would notice if you don't FUCK up your system pretty hard.

CF is fine too but Nvidia just does the better drivers, which is a simple fact.

Anyone not agreeing with these points is either a troll or a moron, if no reliable source is pointed.

Well the 6 core would give him some future proofing and im not sure how long the 1156 socket will be around alot of people are already talking dead socket so i wouldnt go i5 750 either.AM3 will be here for a while and they will continue to make better cpu's for it for a few years not sure the same can be said for the 1156

Well the 6 core would give him some future proofing and im not sure how long the 1156 socket will be around alot of people are already talking dead socket so i wouldnt go i5 750 either.AM3 will be here for a while and they will continue to make better cpu's for it for a few years not sure the same can be said for the 1156

AM4 will come out this year Q4 or next year Q2 since the Bulldozer chipset is 4X and 8X is coming out Q4 or next year Q1-Q2.

---------- Post added at 09:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 AM ----------

Need a tad of help.

heres my system-

Intel Core i7-920 @ 3.43ghz

nvidia Gtx260 c216 (also oc'd)

6gb ddr3-1033

Win 7 home 64bit

I get literally around 10-20 fps in singleplayer and 10-30 in MP (with all sort of stuttering and jittery movements). @ 1920x1080 reso.

I've turned of post processing, AA/AF, every setting to normal and draw distance to 3200.

Im at lost as i can't even play the game. (low settings only give a 4-5 fps boost... not helpful)

So if anyone can assist, ill be glad.

How big is the Vram of your GTX? Lower your 3D reso if it is 512MB since it is not enough for the resolution.

Primarch, the thing is that i wanna go a bit "futuresafe" with that also.

I think that most of the newer games are 6 core "aware", so they should run better with more cores, right?

The tests which i have seen, for example:

http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/prozessoren/2010/test_intel_core_i5-760/24/#abschnitt_arma_2

say that the X6 1090T BE isnt the best for ArmA2, true.

BUT these tests have been done with 1.5 version of ArmA2.

As since 1.7 and Operation Arrowhead, the game has better cpu core management, i THINK it should run much better with 6 cores.

The only problem: i havent found any Test with the newer versions so far, nor it seems like any Forumuser tested it yet. OR?

Primarch, the thing is that i wanna go a bit "futuresafe" with that also.

I think that most of the newer games are 6 core "aware", so they should run better with more cores, right?

The tests which i have seen, for example:

http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/prozessoren/2010/test_intel_core_i5-760/24/#abschnitt_arma_2

say that the X6 1090T BE isnt the best for ArmA2, true.

BUT these tests have been done with 1.5 version of ArmA2.

As since 1.7 and Operation Arrowhead, the game has better cpu core management, i THINK it should run much better with 6 cores.

The only problem: i havent found any Test with the newer versions so far, nor it seems like any Forumuser tested it yet. OR?

The thing is, if you want future proof, wait till either Sandy Bridge or Bulldozer comes out. The 6X core AMD is outperformed by an old i5 750 in gaming so it is not too good.

---------- Post added at 09:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 AM ----------

[/color]

How big is the Vram of your GTX? Lower your 3D reso if it is 512MB since it is not enough for the resolution.

896mb. I've searched and did the things people said that helped with optimizing it... still wont break 30fps but oh well... seems like a gtx 460 is in the works.

[/color]

896mb. I've searched and did the things people said that helped with optimizing it... still wont break 30fps but oh well... seems like a gtx 460 is in the works.

You should've got the 1gb version.. anything under it is just pain with 1920x1080 reso and above. But the problem is for sure somewhere else if your AA is off.

And the 260 GTX is almost 2 years old anyway, shouldn't even perfrom well as it is mid-range GPU of its time.

hey i want to know what view distance and settings i could set with my computer. i don't use AA or PPE at all on a resolution of 1366x768

AMD dual core 2.7ghz

6gb of ddr2 800

7200 rpm hard drive

visiontek hd 5670 1gb ddr5

AM4 will come out this year Q4 or next year Q2 since the Bulldozer chipset is 4X and 8X is coming out Q4 or next year Q1-Q2.

the info on the bulldozer is sketchy at best and from what i gathered the bulldozer will be backwords compatible all the way to am 2+ so he swaps out a motherboard if need be not that big of a deal.I say he gets what he wants but the 6 core is far from garbage especially when he wants to pull of more tasks then just gaming. article i read about the bulldozer The new AMD Fusion with 32mn codename" Bulldozer" will use new AMD Socket AM3+ and support backward to AM2+ and AM3 before in future new AM4 is release but AM4 date still unknown also new DDR4 memory is coming by 2012 so the new AMD 32nm "Bulldozer" will using AM3+ oh and ddr 4 memory isnt even coming out till 2012

Oh I can't be bothered to talk about this anymore since you do not seem to get that the both 6 core AMD are useless when it comes to gaming.

It's either get a ph x4 II 955BE/ intel i5 750 or i7 930 or i7 980X.

Anything else than those is garbage for gaming nowaday, anyone that knows a bit more about PCs than pre-built Alienware or Dell PCs agree.

A.k.a. go hard or go home.

Oh I can't be bothered to talk about this anymore since you do not seem to get that the both 6 core AMD are useless when it comes to gaming.

It's either get a ph x4 II 955BE/ intel i5 750 or i7 930 or i7 980X.

Anything else than those is garbage for gaming nowaday, anyone that knows a bit more about PCs than pre-built Alienware or Dell PCs agree.

A.k.a. go hard or go home.

You must not look at benchmarks to much the 1090 T is far from useless gaming give me a freakin break.Its pretty even actually with the be 965 and that isnt useless now is it.I agree id go with the 965 be myself because all i do is game and right now i do not need 6 cores but saying the 1090 T is useless in games just tells me you really do not know what your talking about.and im sure in the not to distant future gaming wize you will see a nice difference from 4-6 cores

Can the Dell Inspiron laptop run arma 2 well? If so then what version of the Inspiron?

I really need this answered immediatly!