Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

Hi all, quick question if I may.

This thread is huge so apologies if this has already been covered. I'm tweaking my settings atm in OA, I haven't played in a while so any lessons learnt previously have been forgotten.

I'm noticing that various objects are slow to reach full detail as I move forward. Grass / Bushes etc appear as I get closer rather than already being there. FPS doesn't seem to be an issue, but the ' lag ' in object generation is very annoying, there seems to be an imaginary line in front of me as i move in which detail becomes better.

I have settings on normal, with overall quality on high. Screen res is 1900x1200 with 3d res at 87%. Post Process is at low, shaddow detail at high.

System specs are:

HDD - 1 TB (1000 GB) SATA-II HDD UDMA 300 7200 32MB

Graphics - XFX GeForce GTX 260 216 Black - 896MB - 666 mhz

CPU - Intel Core i7 940 (2.93GHz) 8 MB 4.8GT/s 1600FSB

MB - ASUS P6T DELUXE SKT-1366 S/L 6.4GT/S (Intel X58)

Mem - Corsair 6GB (3x2GB) XMS3 1600MHz CAS 9 (DDR3)

Also I'm using NHancer which really helped previously, but not convinced this would be the problem though.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Sarp

EDIT: oh and running off Vista 64 ultimate - Yeah i know...

Edited by Sarp

vista ultimate shouln't matter. I've used vista for years, with enough ram it runs fine.

Why do you run at 87%?? might as well go up to 100 then. Only thing I can say is play around with your settings. Lod in arma 2 is also dependant on resoution, if you go above 100% maybe it'll get better at the cost of fps.

Does this happens every where? If so you might want to edit your sceneComplexity (in your username.profile).

vista ultimate shouln't matter. I've used vista for years, with enough ram it runs fine.

Why do you run at 87%?? might as well go up to 100 then. Only thing I can say is play around with your settings. Lod in arma 2 is also dependant on resoution, if you go above 100% maybe it'll get better at the cost of fps.

I prefer the slightly softer edges it gives and also noticed a slight FPS increase on multiplayer.

Does this happens every where? If so you might want to edit your sceneComplexity (in your username.profile).

So far, yes. As for editing anything, I get quickly out of my depth typing in my username and password..:icon_redface:

I hope I've explained the issue well enough. It just seems that the detail levels and / or objects struggle to generate quickly enough.

It's not a game breaker, more an annoying immersion spoiler that must be curable somehow as its not evident on the numerous videos I've seen and my system is far from slow...

I just ordered this rig ;)

That's very close to what I have, and I'm pretty happy with it.

Hey people, i am totally new to this forum so please excuse me if my questions is totally noob like. dont hate me and sry my bad english.

Though i have two smal question:

1st.

Can i run arma 2 with this comp? and IF so what settings?

cpu:

AMD Athlon II X3 435

ram

4gig ddr3

gfx:

ATI Radeon HD 5450

2st.

If i get this comp instead ( i know its better ). What settings can i run arma 2 on then?

cpu:

Intel Core i5-650, 3,20 GHz

ram

8gig ddr3

gfx

ATI Radeon HD 5750

Pleace answer both of my questions as quick as possible.

Thank you

Hey people, i am totally new to this forum so please excuse me if my questions is totally noob like. dont hate me and sry my bad english.

Though i have two smal question:

1st.

Can i run arma 2 with this comp? and IF so what settings?

cpu:

AMD Athlon II X3 435

ram

4gig ddr3

gfx:

ATI Radeon HD 5450

2st.

If i get this comp instead ( i know its better ). What settings can i run arma 2 on then?

cpu:

Intel Core i5-650, 3,20 GHz

ram

8gig ddr3

gfx

ATI Radeon HD 5750

Pleace answer both of my questions as quick as possible.

Thank you

The first system will not run it because of the low-end gpu. The second system has an expensive dualcore with built-in gpu that you don't need because of the dedicated 5750 gpu. Also 8 GB ram is not needed here. Dont waste your money on that system either, get something else.

Thank you 4 the fast reply =)

What about this computer then?

core:

AMD Athlon 215 x 2

ram:

6 GB DDR3-SD RAM

gfx:

Nvidia GT320 (it sucks i know, i will by a new one)

You can't just put any gpu in a pc, if you buy a cheap-ass pc it probably has a cheap-ass psu in it that can't cope with the new gpu.

Can't you get something custom-built? or build it yourself?

yes i can and i probably will do =),

Can you people help me what kind of comp i need and together with gfx card

to be able to play arma 2? on high settings (without aa).

I am kinda new to comp building so i would be very greatful.

Sry my bad english

If the budget is sufficient I'd get:

i5-760

gigabyte P55A-UD3

4GB of ddr3 ram that's on the QVL of the mobo manufacturer

a gtx460 1GB

samsung spinpoint F3 1TB (or another 1TB disk if you cant get this one for cheap)

600W psu

sata dvd-rom

a case (make sure it's ATX and not just uATX)

That's assuming you already have a monitor, keyboard and mouse.

Including a copy of windows 7 professional that should cost a little over 900 euro's.

Edited by Leon86

If the budget is sufficient I'd get:

i5-760

gigabyte P55A-UD3

4GB of ddr3 ram that's on the QVL of the mobo manufacturer

a gtx460 1GB

samsung spinpoint F3 1TB (or another 1TB disk if you cant get this one for cheap)

600W psu

sata dvd-rom

a case (make sure it's ATX and not just uATX)

That's assuming you already have a monitor, keyboard and mouse.

ok i am with you on everything, just some final questions.

(and maybe more later lol) but 4 now....

Gigabyte p55a-ud3 is the mother board right?

4gb ram that is on qvl? (qvl? stands for?)

I have kb and mouse though monitor i will get from my brother later.

Sry 4 all the noob questions :j:

Yeah, thats the mobo, QVL stands for qualified Vendor List. It's a list of all the ddr3 gigabyte actually tested with that motherboard. Nearly all normal ddr3 will work but some might not, if you go for memory on that list it'll be compatible.

If you're going to do this for the first time try to look for some guides online, so you know in what order you can assemble the parts easily. And to make sure you install the little spacers that separate the motherboard from the rear of the case, if they're not installed already. (you'd have to be pretty stupid to mount a motherboard, with all the copper exposed directly on a steel plate but some people just are)

Yeah, thats the mobo, QVL stands for qualified Vendor List. It's a list of all the ddr3 gigabyte actually tested with that motherboard. Nearly all normal ddr3 will work but some might not, if you go for memory on that list it'll be compatible.

If you're going to do this for the first time try to look for some guides online, so you know in what order you can assemble the parts easily. And to make sure you install the little spacers that separate the motherboard from the rear of the case, if they're not installed already. (you'd have to be pretty stupid to mount a motherboard, with all the copper exposed directly on a steel plate but some people just are)

Thank you 4 all the info and help, i am very greatfull.

My friend will help me build the computer so i will nott have to do it all by myslef. But thank you for the advice anyway.

If you can help me with this final thing i would be very greatfull, but i understand if you cant because this site i will post a link to is on swedish.

(i am from sweden)

But ether way: here we go:

What of these computers (both amd / intel ) would you by?

THey are all in parts and i can switch things out before i by them.

Here is link to:

intel comps:

http://www.komplett.se/k/kl.aspx?bn=10301

and amd comps:

http://www.komplett.se/k/kl.aspx?bn=10643

and so you know:

7000sek is aprox 943usd (if that help anything)

and i dont want to go over that prize.

Thank you 4 all the info and help, i am very greatfull.

My friend will help me build the computer so i will nott have to do it all by myslef. But thank you for the advice anyway.

If you can help me with this final thing i would be very greatfull, but i understand if you cant because this site i will post a link to is on swedish.

(i am from sweden)

But ether way: here we go:

What of these computers (both amd / intel ) would you by?

THey are all in parts and i can switch things out before i by them.

Here is link to:

intel comps:

http://www.komplett.se/k/kl.aspx?bn=10301

and amd comps:

http://www.komplett.se/k/kl.aspx?bn=10643

and so you know:

7000sek is aprox 943usd (if that help anything)

and i dont want to go over that prize.

Well, maybe you can install an old windows-xp or get windows seven somewhere else, I got it from my university for free via msdnaa. That should make the parts I mentioned just on budget, at least here in the netherlands. If you want to go a lot cheaper you can get a system with a Phenom II 955BE, an ati 5750 1GB, Decent am3 mobo, but the performance will decrease more than the price.

Too bad the starcraft 2 pc isn't within budget, it's specs are virtually identical to what I mentioned. I'm not sure why the amd pc's are so expensive still, something like the phenom II 945 based thing should be way cheaper, 6500 sek or something. Although you swedes probably have higher tax on these kind of things compared to us dutch.

Edited by Leon86

Well, maybe you can install an old windows-xp or get windows seven somewhere else, I got it from my university for free via msdnaa. That should make the parts I mentioned just on budget, at least here in the netherlands. If you want to go a lot cheaper you can get a system with a Phenom II 955BE, an ati 5750 1GB, Decent am3 mobo, but the performance will decrease more than the price.

Too bad the starcraft 2 pc isn't within budget, it's specs are virtually identical to what I mentioned. I'm not sure why the amd pc's are so expensive still, something like the phenom II 945 based thing should be way cheaper, 6500 sek or something. Although you swedes probably have higher tax on these kind of things compared to us dutch.

So, do i understand you corectly if i say that the:

http://www.komplett.se/k/ki.aspx?sku=344159

(phenom II 945) can run arma 2 on high or medium settings?

Or do i have to get the starcraft 2 pc 4 that?

Thank you 4 all your help : )

Hey guys. I'm new here and haven't bought the game yet, though I will from EBGames/Gamestop in Canada as soon as I can.

I'm buying a laptop (it has to be a laptop) and its specs are:

HP 15.6" screen

Processor: AMD Phenom II Quad-Core N930

Speed: 2.0 Ghz

Cores: 4

RAM: 4GB DDR3

HDD: 640GB

Hard Drive Speed: 5400 rpm

Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650

Native Res: 1366 x 768

Video Memory: 1024MB DDR3

That's about all that's important to my knowledge -I'm getting it for university, but also definitely to play Arma 2 and Crysis on medium settings. I'm not a fanatic for graphics, but I've used crappy computers for too long of a time, and finally want to be able to play these two games. Arma never ran on my old desktop with a 9400gt Nvidia, haha.

Please let me know how this laptop will fare? I know OC'ing laptops is not considered a good idea as well, right?

Hi, I have a quad core phenomii 965 and a 4890 as well as about 8 gb ram ( I know not all the ram is utilized).

I find the 4890 does well with moth every other game I own though arma2 still chugs a fair bit especially in towns/cities. I'm looking to upgrade one of these two, whichever is holding me back. Looking for advice.

Was looking at the 5870 but these are quite expensive, still I'm keen for some smooth arma2. Cheers.

Rainf

Edited by RAINF

upgrading the gpu will not cure the chugs in towns/cities, just load up a mission in the city and adjust modeldetail, terrain detail and maybe textures or something untill it runs smooth.

If you adapt settings to a squad battle in an open field It'll chug in a town for sure. On utes I can play with viewdistance 10k no problem, there just isn't that much to render there.

---------- Post added at 10:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 AM ----------

So, do i understand you corectly if i say that the:

http://www.komplett.se/k/ki.aspx?sku=344159

(phenom II 945) can run arma 2 on high or medium settings?

Or do i have to get the starcraft 2 pc 4 that?

Thank you 4 all your help : )

The phenom will run it on medium-high depending on resolution but the starcraft 2 pc is by far the better deal, I really really recommend the starcraft 2 pc.

---------- Post added at 10:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 AM ----------

Hey guys. I'm new here and haven't bought the game yet, though I will from EBGames/Gamestop in Canada as soon as I can.

I'm buying a laptop (it has to be a laptop) and its specs are:

HP 15.6" screen

Processor: AMD Phenom II Quad-Core N930

Speed: 2.0 Ghz

Cores: 4

RAM: 4GB DDR3

HDD: 640GB

Hard Drive Speed: 5400 rpm

Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650

Native Res: 1366 x 768

Video Memory: 1024MB DDR3

That's about all that's important to my knowledge -I'm getting it for university, but also definitely to play Arma 2 and Crysis on medium settings. I'm not a fanatic for graphics, but I've used crappy computers for too long of a time, and finally want to be able to play these two games. Arma never ran on my old desktop with a 9400gt Nvidia, haha.

Please let me know how this laptop will fare? I know OC'ing laptops is not considered a good idea as well, right?

It'll run, don't expect stellar performance, it's still a laptop. You can probably run it fine on medium with that (quite low) resolution. But if you're going to get that laptop anyway I suggest you run the arma2 and OA demo first so you can see for yourself.

Hi,i was playing ArmAII the other day and it runs like 50fps with only 7 NPC's beyond that it will drop drastically to 17~24 FPS is there something that i need to upgrade?

Here's my specs.

ATI Radeon 5770

AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core 5600+ ,~@2.8Ghz

Windows 7 32bit

2GB Ram

1680x1050

If i need to upgrade something could you recommend me some that are somewhere between 200~300 dollars?

Regards,

Fluffeh

I am thinking about buying this:

AMD Phenom X4 965 quad-core processor [3.4GHz, 2MB L2 + 6MB L3 shared, up to 4000MHz]

windows 7 64 bit

6gb of ram

geforce gtx 260 oc

Will this run well? It should improve over my current crappy system. :o

Hi,i was playing ArmAII the other day and it runs like 50fps with only 7 NPC's beyond that it will drop drastically to 17~24 FPS is there something that i need to upgrade?

Here's my specs.

ATI Radeon 5770

Windows 7 32bit

2GB Ram

1680x1050

If i need to upgrade something could you recommend me some that are somewhere between 200~300 dollars?

Regards,

Fluffeh

See if your mobo will support the 1055t Phenom x6. There a are a few AMD2+ boards that will support the 1055t - with a bios upgrade of course. For a fairly new six core cpu, the prices are fantastic. I paid £153 for mine, ($235) wich is only slightly more expensive that the Phenom x4 955, (about £30). Im running Operation Arrowhead brilliantly. 60-75fps in most places, drops to around 40-50 in built up areas - (dont ask me about Zaragabad/New Chernogorsk :)). And since you have a much better GPU than I do, (4870), youll get slightly better performance.

Maybe a memory upgrade too? Of course, I personally wouldn't do this unless I was using DDR3 modules at the mo. If not, maybe wait till you can afford a new mobo & get 4GB of DDR3 along with it.

Here's my specs.

ATI Radeon 5770

Windows 7 32bit

2GB Ram

1680x1050

Regards,

Fluffeh

What bascule said is true, a faster processor is the best upgrade. Look on the mobo manufacturers site for a list of compatible processors. Even an el-cheapo athlon II x2 or x3 will be way faster than what you have now.

---------- Post added at 12:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 PM ----------

I am thinking about buying this:

AMD Phenom X4 965 quad-core processor [3.4GHz, 2MB L2 + 6MB L3 shared, up to 4000MHz]

windows 7 64 bit

6gb of ram

geforce gtx 260 oc

Will this run well? It should improve over my current crappy system. :o

Why are you getting 6 GB ram and a 260? 4 GB is enough and the phenoms aren't triple channel. The 260 is a last generation card, get a 460, it's just as expensive and faster.

and the processor is a phenom II right?