Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

So that wouldn't work for me?

And buying a new motherboard and cpu would work?

Or would that just create more problems?

Sorry for the questions you might find simple but I'm not really sure about what to do now.

If you're going to buy a new board and cpu and gpu you might as well buy a whole new pc. If you upgrade the gpu to a 4850/5750 you'll only have to spend 60-110 euro's now and you'll be able to play simple missions and online quite well I think.

---------- Post added at 12:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 PM ----------

Well, there are two sets of CPU+Mother board: i7 870x+P55, i7 920+X58, which one would you choose for playing ArmA2?

I'd get an i5-760 with a p55. Saves 100 euro's.

Okey, but don't buy a other cpu you say? I didn't get the impression my processor was that great.

I had an E2160 which was 1.8Ghz stock, but overclocked to 3Ghz and ran Arma1 pretty well with an AC7 cooler (not sure how it would be for Arma2 and OA). Of course, you have to know what you are doing and there is risk, but provided your board allows it there might be mileage in the cpu.

If it goes wrong, you might be upgrading anyhow !

Okey, but don't buy a other cpu you say? I didn't get the impression my processor was that great.

It isn't but the gpu is even slower. you can either get a new gpu and run simple missions resonably well or get a completely new pc.

Or you could try and find a secondhand overclocking motherboard but it'll be a hassle getting your windows version to work again as your version probably only works on an acer machine.

Okey so your advise is: buy a new graphics card, that's a bummer, some local pc shop owner told me this was good for playing arma 2.

And if I would want to upgrade my processor I'd need a whole new motherboard?

Buying a new pc seems senseless, I already have this and even if I have to replace a lot of parts, a newer pc would also have that or wouldn't it?

Or just buy a new gpu and stick with the rest?

I was already thinking about replacing my vista version with xp or 7 or something.

Or how about this:

HP Compaq Presario 5440NL

nVidia GeForce GTX260 Synergy Edition (Zotac)

AMD Phenom X4 9500+ 2,1 GHz (Quad-Core) AM2+ Socket

4GB DDR2

Asus Narra3/Nettle3, nVidia nForce 430 Chipset

HDD: 750GB (7200 rpm) SATA Seagate

6x USB 2.0 Poorten

15-in-1 cardreader

Windows 7 64-bit

Edited by Stalemate
New info

Okey so your advise is: buy a new graphics card, that's a bummer, some local pc shop owner told me this was good for playing arma 2.

And if I would want to upgrade my processor I'd need a whole new motherboard?

Buying a new pc seems senseless, I already have this and even if I have to replace a lot of parts, a newer pc would also have that or wouldn't it?

Or just buy a new gpu and stick with the rest?

I was already thinking about replacing my vista version with xp or 7 or something.

Or how about this:

HP Compaq Presario 5440NL

nVidia GeForce GTX260 Synergy Edition (Zotac)

AMD Phenom X4 9500+ 2,1 GHz (Quad-Core) AM2+ Socket

4GB DDR2

Asus Narra3/Nettle3, nVidia nForce 430 Chipset

HDD: 750GB (7200 rpm) SATA Seagate

6x USB 2.0 Poorten

15-in-1 cardreader

Windows 7 64-bit

If you look at the gpu hierarchy chart you can see your card (the 220) is only a couple of tiers above the 7800 series (the bare minimum for arma). If you want maximum improvement for the least ammount of money I'd get a secondhand 4850 gpu and maybe a secondhand q6600 processor, that one will probably work on you acer mobo.

The compaq system has a phenom I processor, that's a no-no. Phenom II's are much faster and perform slightly above core2's clock for clock.

Edited by Leon86

I'd get an i5-760 with a p55. Saves 100 euro's.

Yeah, you saved 100 Euros, but 870x or 920 are faster, i7 870x can be overclocked and stable at 4.5Ghz under a fan cooler, and i7 920 can be stable at 4.2G under a fan cooler. For ArmA2, I think a CPU with the high frequency is prior to multi core. A dual core core cpu@6.0G is definately faster than a quad core cpu@4.0G.

Thank you Leon,I'll check if the processor works. My last question is what the expected performance will be? I'd love to play this game good looking and smooth.

When you tweak your settings, some to normal, some high and some low with 1.6km viewdistance you should get smooth framerates. Or you could put viewdistance higher and object and terrain even lower, depends on what you prefer.

Edited by Leon86

Will an Asus g73-a2 with these specs run arma 2 on max with god framerate?

i7 720qm

ATI 5870

8gb ram. ddr3

1 tb harddisk.

(dual 500gb 7200rpm)

Right.. thinking of giving Arma 2 a go again and in the process of upgrading to this:

i7 930

Asus Rampage III

6gb

Currently have 1 x 4890 1gb but not sure wheter to get another for CF (may not work??) or go for 5870, or go mad and get a 5970.. which option will serve me best do you think?, I suppose if I can get CF working the first option as Arma doesn't use DX11...

Edited by Basil Brush

Will an Asus g73-a2 with these specs run arma 2 on max with god framerate?

i7 720qm

ATI 5870

8gb ram. ddr3

1 tb harddisk.

(dual 500gb 7200rpm)

no, there's no computers out there that can run arma 2 on max with good framerates. You'll be able to run it quite well on medium/high, especially if you dont run it at huge resolutions.

---------- Post added at 03:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:23 PM ----------

Right.. thinking of giving Arma 2 a go again and in the process of upgrading to this:

i7 930

Asus Rampage III

6gb

Currently have 1 x 4890 1gb but not sure wheter to get another for CF (may not work??) or go for 5870, or go mad and get a 5970.. which option will serve me best do you think?, I suppose if I can get CF working the first option as Arma doesn't use DX11...

I'd just keep the 4890 for now. It's still a very fast card. An 5870 is quite a bit faster but not twice as fast, amd is going to release new cards soon so why not wait a couple of months, prices on the 5870 will probably go down. I have no expience with crossfire so I'm not touching that subject :)

no, there's no computers out there that can run arma 2 on max with good framerates. You'll be able to run it quite well on medium/high, especially if you dont run it at huge resolutions.

---------- Post added at 03:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:23 PM ----------

I'd just keep the 4890 for now. It's still a very fast card. An 5870 is quite a bit faster but not twice as fast, amd is going to release new cards soon so why not wait a couple of months, prices on the 5870 will probably go down. I have no expience with crossfire so I'm not touching that subject :)

I run arma 2 maxed out at 1920x1080 never drop below 34 fps and im only running a phenom 965 be with a gtx 470.i get very playable frames maxed so ya there are people out there who can crank everything

I run arma 2 maxed out at 1920x1080 never drop below 34 fps and im only running a phenom 965 be with a gtx 470.i get very playable frames maxed so ya there are people out there who can crank everything

With 200% 3d res and 10000 view?

With 200% 3d res and 10000 view?

200% res looks no better to me then 100% and actually i got my view set to 6500.view distance never really killed performance for me it was shadows.now i dont have this problem anymore only when i was running a dual core e8400 did i have to lower shadows.even at 10000 view its playable.at these settings i get 61 fps in the arma2 benchmark

BS, http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,743498/Geforce-GTX-480-and-GTX-470-reviewed-Fermi-performance-benchmarks/Reviews/?page=6

And that is on i7@4GHz

And benchmark 1 doesnt realy represent in game fps, try playing electrozavodsk mission.

Even next gen cpu with 50% overclock and top next gen gpu in sli/cf wont run this game maxed and with 60fps, PERIOD.

BS, http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,743498/Geforce-GTX-480-and-GTX-470-reviewed-Fermi-performance-benchmarks/Reviews/?page=6

And that is on i7@4GHz

And benchmark 1 doesnt realy represent in game fps, try playing electrozavodsk mission.

Even next gen cpu with 50% overclock and top next gen gpu in sli/cf wont run this game maxed and with 60fps, PERIOD.

i didnt say i played the game at 60 constant read the post.i said in the benchmark i averaged 61 fps.i can post the settings and results if you would like.the game itself i havent dropped below 34 fps in any of the missions ive played.believe what you want i really dont care.this game likes certain configs better then others i know alot of people with i7's with the same or stronger gpu's that have trouble running the game at high settings its luck of the draw with this game im suprized you havent figured that out yet.if were talking pure game performance im running average upper 30's.i fluxate from 34-80 fps but it sticks more to upper 30's to low 40's.the benchmark ive hit 100 fps at one point for a few seconds and yet ive dropped to low 30's which accumulates a higher fps then i probably deserved but nonetheless i averaged 61

Edited by banenwn

And that is on i7@4GHz

That reviews from 2009, armas had a lot of updates from then.

Yep, but his statement also still stands true.

No, it had only one (in review is 1.05, now there is 1.07), and there was performance increse but not drastic (i have arma and played it from begining).

And on that review arma2 isnt maxed.

-------------------------------------------------------------

You can fine tune arma 2 and play it fine on junk PC, but my point is, none can play it maxed.

No, it had only one (in review is 1.05, now there is 1.07), and there was performance increse but not drastic (i have arma and played it from begining).

And on that review arma2 isnt maxed.

-------------------------------------------------------------

You can fine tune arma 2 and play it fine on junk PC, but my point is, none can play it maxed.

Ive been building pc's for 10 years and im not someone to exaggerate my own benchmarks.when i run actual in game benchmarks i use FRAPS i run 180 second benchmarks ive run them in 3 seperate missions and my lowest fps was actually 33.ive been playing arma from the beggining myself and ive built this rig specifically for it.i was running an e8400 but wasnt happy with the performance i was one of the ones that couldnt break 20 fps in haflway decent size gunfights.you find me a recording program that doesnt take away game performance id be happy to run my benchmarks and post it on youtube.

Ive been building pc's for 10 years and im not someone to exaggerate my own benchmarks.when i run actual in game benchmarks i use FRAPS i run 180 second benchmarks ive run them in 3 seperate missions and my lowest fps was actually 33.ive been playing arma from the beggining myself and ive built this rig specifically for it.i was running an e8400 but wasnt happy with the performance i was one of the ones that couldnt break 20 fps in haflway decent size gunfights.you find me a recording program that doesnt take away game performance id be happy to run my benchmarks and post it on youtube.

M8 i dont want to argue with you, none can play with good fps arma2 maxed, there are people here with gulftowns at 4.5 and sli 480GTXs.

Stop this, this is offtopic...

Have a nice day, and chill out :)

M8 i dont want to argue with you, none can play with good fps arma2 maxed, there are people here with gulftowns at 4.5 and sli 480GTXs.

Stop this, this is offtopic...

Have a nice day, and chill out :)

for starters sli doesnt work for most people and even when it does you only see a difference in open areas.sli isnt nearly as good in arma 2 as other games that sli actually works for.me myself i lost 1 fps from 1 card to 2.btw thats not even the benchmark i ran i ran the one that came with arrowhead so ill run the one they have in the benches you posted and get back to you and this is on topic

Run the arma 2 benchmark mission 2 please. No way that'll get high fps maxxed.