Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

Hi there I've been looking at buying Arma2 for some time and i've made up my mind, I'm going to buy it if I can get a new machine because this current machine i'm on won't work with it. So i'm going to be spending a lot of money just for Arma2 and from what i've seen, it's definately going to be worth it. My question is are these specifications going to work with Arma2, and how well. For example, could I run it on low/medium/high settings?

Intel® Core™ i3-530 Processor

- 2.93 GHz

- 2.5 GT/s DMI

- 4 MB L3 Cache

Windows 7

3GB DDR3 RAM

(I'm going to have to buy a graphics card seperately, but im looking at a GeForce one about 1GB)

Actually, it's two 'high binned' 5870 GPUs that are underclocked to conform to the PCIe spec.

True, the same amount of stream processors as 5870, but underclocked as you said.

---------- Post added at 09:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 PM ----------

Hi there I've been looking at buying Arma2 for some time and i've made up my mind, I'm going to buy it if I can get a new machine because this current machine i'm on won't work with it. So i'm going to be spending a lot of money just for Arma2 and from what i've seen, it's definately going to be worth it. My question is are these specifications going to work with Arma2, and how well. For example, could I run it on low/medium/high settings?

Intel® Core™ i3-530 Processor

- 2.93 GHz

- 2.5 GT/s DMI

- 4 MB L3 Cache

Windows 7

3GB DDR3 RAM

(I'm going to have to buy a graphics card seperately, but im looking at a GeForce one about 1GB)

Get atleast i5 750 and 460GTX, the best price-performance combo atm.

I have:

AMD Athlon x2 dual core 3800+

2GB RAM

9600gt 512mb :p

I saw this:

:butbut:

Now I want, nay, NEED this:

Alienware Aurora :cool:

Hi RomeoSierra, i have read your this post twice now i gotta reply to you atm,cuz you was so sweet lmao. That was something like:

1. was pround of having a nice rig.

2. being shocked from the massive combat in arma2.

3. dreaming of getting a nicer rig.

lol, kid. i loved the way you were using those 3 smilies in your this post. and Thank you kid you made me laught everytime seeing your this post. :)

I'm going to build this configuration:

- INTEL Core i7 930 2.8Ghz

- ATI HD5870 Sapphire 1GB Vapor-X GDDR5 2xDVI/DP/HDMI

- Antec Twelve Hundred

- ASUS 1366 P6T DELUXE V2

- DDR3 1333Mhz PC10666 12GB Corsair XMS3 Classic (6x2GB)

- Western Digital 1TB WD1002FAEX 7200rpm 64MB Black

- INTEL SSD 80GB 2.5" X25-M Postville retail <--- win 7 + ARMA2 + OA

- Samsung LCD 25.5" SyncMaster T260HD Rose Black

- LOGITECH Z520

- Logitech Gaming Keyboard G110 & MXâ„¢518 Optical Mouse Bundle

- 650-700W psu

- other stuff

If you have a similar machine, what kind of performance ( at x setting ) may I expect? Do you suggest to change anything? I've not bought anything yet so i can make changes :)

Choose my destiny, flawless victory!!

1. Phenom II x4 3.4 Ghz w/~6Mb L3 cache

2. Athlon II x4 3.0 Ghz w/no L3 cache **AND** 2x1GB DDR2-800

Will be merging with my existing ATI 5750 1GB (1280x1024 res), Asus M4A78-EM, 2GB DDR2-800 and Win7 64bit.

These are my only options and the price is almost identical.

I'm aiming to play mostly Multiplayer stuff like Domi and Evo from Arma 1.

BTW, Tomshardware has a nice comparison on the small benefit of L3 cache, it seemed almost worth it in the GTAIV benchmarks...

If I make this purchase, is there some sort of benchmark I can run in the OA Demo to compare before and after... assuming I can be patient enough to do so... which is looking highly unlikely atm...

I've decided against getting an i3 processor, i'm looking at a Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q8300. How well would this work with the game, would it run smoother than an i3?

All i can say is that the zagrab map is pants because it is a real FPS killer.

@AJ, yes a quad core is better and a bit more future proof. i would go for a i5 though

You'd be better off with a Phenom II. Quicker, and the future upgrade options are much better.

I voted Other in the opinion poll, choosing GTX 275 instead. :icon_twisted:

Asus Rampage Extreme III

i7 930 2.8

6Gb Mushkin 'Ridgeback' 1600 (pc12800)

a $900 usd 'upgrade' to my previous socket 775 system :butbut:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?p=1698937#post1698937

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dmv=2373286

Edited by [DirTyDeeDs]-Ziggy-

Me agian lol

Wondering if someone could tell me would i be having a good time running ArmA 2 on this system ?

Intel® Core™ i5-430M Processor

- 2.26 GHz

- 4.8 GT/s DMI

- 3 MB L3 Cache

- 4GB installed RAM

- DDR3 memory

ATI Mobility Radeonâ„¢ HD 5470

- 1GB dedicated memory

Thanks in advance

hey i just need to know what settings i can run well at (prefer 30-40 fps)

amd dual core 2.7ghz

ati radeon hd 5770

6gb of ddr2 800 ram

1336x768 resolution

Me agian lol

Wondering if someone could tell me would i be having a good time running ArmA 2 on this system ?

- 2.26 GHz

- 4.8 GT/s DMI

- 3 MB L3 Cache

- 4GB installed RAM

- DDR3 memory

ATI Mobility Radeonâ„¢ HD 5470

- 1GB dedicated memory

Thanks in advance

nope, get a faster gpu, also an i5-750 will be much more powerfull and not that much more expensive. if you dont want to spend on a quadcore get an i3

hey i just need to know what settings i can run well at (prefer 30-40 fps)

amd dual core 2.7ghz

ati radeon hd 5770

6gb of ddr2 800 ram

1336x768 resolution

You are probably CPU limited. -my OA DEMO testing revealed the video settings do not affect CPU usage very much... though there could be a specific set of tweaks that works OK. :)

Try the OA DEMO, SP mission, Benchmark (just let it run, it's not a real mission), I get 20fps with a slightly slower system than yours.

I will be posting some detailed info soon, as I am about to replace my dual 2.6Ghz with a quad 3.4Ghz.

Unfortunately I can't test in OA full version until I can physically buy it from a store (a dying preference as I have recently discovered...)

->Win 7 64 bit (Home Premium), Asus M4A78-EM Motherboard, AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5000+ 2.60GHZ, 2GB RAM, Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5750 1GB (GDDR5) @1280x1024 (17" NEC LCD1715), w/ATI Catalyst 10.7 (Catalyst AI Disabled), Antec EA-380 Power Supply (3 SATA, 1 CDRW, 1 DVDROM)

Edited by Qxs
Changing system specs for new hardware

nope, get a faster gpu, also an i5-750 will be much more powerfull and not that much more expensive. if you dont want to spend on a quadcore get an i3

Will i be unable to run this at all ?

Will i be unable to run this at all ?

I dont know, but that card is below the minimum system requirements.

Would someone recommend me a laptop in the price range of 0-700 pounds please. I've lost touch with computers now as you can see lol

---------- Post added at 01:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 AM ----------

I dont know, but that card is below the minimum system requirements.

Could you read my comment above please. Sorry to bother you.

Would someone recommend me a laptop in the price range of 0-700 pounds please. I've lost touch with computers now as you can see lol

look for something with an ati 5650 or a geforce GT330M that should run the game. notebooks with those gpu's will probably have a decent cpu as well.

There's plenty notebooks within budget, I know acer is probably the cheapest but maybe you'll want to spend slightly more on a laptop that'll last longer.

good luck :)

look for something with an ati 5650 or a geforce GT330M that should run the game. notebooks with those gpu's will probably have a decent cpu as well.

There's plenty notebooks within budget, I know acer is probably the cheapest but maybe you'll want to spend slightly more on a laptop that'll last longer.

good luck :)

Intel Core i3 dual core 330M.

2.26GHz processor speed.

3MB cache.

4GB DDR3 RAM memory.

500GB SATA hard drive.

Dedicated nVIDIA GeForce GT 310M graphics card with 512MB memory.

This one seems better?

LONG story somewhat shorter:

-Phenom 3.0 Ghz is more than enough for this DEMO

-AMD Dual Core would have to be 3.0 or 3.2, imho.

-ATI 5750 seems OK with near max video settings

-Quad core usage is wonky, imho. BUT all 4 cores are avg 50% usage, always.

Longer version:

Recent Benchmark results for the OA Demo:

SP Mission Benchmark:

42 fps (+/-2) at 'Phenom II x4 3.4Ghz' clock speeds set via multiplier to 2.6, 3.0, 3.2, 3.4Ghz

34 fps at 2.1Ghz

Notes:

CPU seems to be bottlenecking anywhere just below 2.6Ghz

It is my opinion that the GPU is not bottlenecking around 2.6Ghz, and that the CPU is simply not being utilized in the most efficient manner. For whatever reason the increase from 2.6 to 3.4 is just not scaling with the game... I believe the GPU would bottleneck at about 50fps on this particular "benchmark" mission.

EDIT: Underclocking the GPU has revealed that it is very close to it's maximum performance, even at a CPU clock of 2.8Ghz (again, somewhere below 2.6Ghz).

INTERESTING: CPU utilization remains the same for CPU clocks from 2.6-3.4Ghz, logic suggests that utlization would DECREASE while increasing the clock from 2.6Ghz to 3.4Ghz IF the video card is bottlenecking (or close to, which it is)... but it appears to stay same, so.. I have no choice but to conclude that it instead of improving fps on the video output, it is spending cycles doing "something else"... making the AI do smarter things?? Planning a beer run.. I just don't know...

Also a possible issue, is the V-Sync is disabled in the Catalyst setting but I really have no idea if it actually is disabled or what the effect would be...

Video Settings:

View Distance ~5000

Resolution 1280x1024

VH

VH

Normal

Normal

High

High

Normal

Disabled

Normal

5:4

Notes:

Object quality (scene complexity) has a noticeable effect on fps

HDRprecision, framesahead seem to make no difference.

-cpucount= 4 -exThreads=7, does not seem to do anything at all

None of the 4 cores EVER maxed out, and I would claim that they NEVER RARELY (spikes) went above 75% utilization as determined by the Win7 Task Manager.

RAMdisk, don't have the RAM to run one, don't have a USB stick either, some stuttering was noticed in the Benchmark mission, and I suspect this is also evident in Multiplayer gameplay (desert generated ~8 players), I can see the HD activity light doing a fair bit of blinky mcflash-flash....

I also tried a Desert generated mission with myself and the other ~31 AI, the CPU is being wasted in this test, fps scale with a change in the number of AI players. Which suggests to me that the AI needs to get picked up better by the multiple cores. EDIT: the cpu utilization is never ever maxing out is the issue.. TBH I don't think it's possible to do it... lol In theory I could add another 20 AI and the fps would drop to 0 and the CPU would STILL not be maxed... EVER...

Finally, I never want to see the Benchmark mission again... night..

Edited by Qxs
Fix conclusions, typos

Intel Core i3 dual core 330M.

2.26GHz processor speed.

3MB cache.

4GB DDR3 RAM memory.

500GB SATA hard drive.

Dedicated nVIDIA GeForce GT 310M graphics card with 512MB memory.

This one seems better?

No, that one's slower then the 5470, like I said look for ones with the 5650 or the 330. Those are the fastest notebook gpu's you're going to get with that budget.

something like this samsung, but there's plenty laptops within budget this acer with 3yr warranty (and I wouldn't get an acer without that warranty) or this sony of a HP or a toshiba, even a dell studio 17 is within budget, although that only has 2GB ram standard. you should be able to get one of those in the uk as well.

Edited by Leon86

Is there any system that can run this game without framedrops to sub 30?

In benchmark2 or in elektrozavodsk.

Do you think next gen cpus/gpus can run this game at vsinc?

I think for 2 more generations of cpus and gpus, and then maybe....

I have q6600@3.6 and ati 4850 (volt moded and overclocked), and still at some times i get sub 20 fps ŽŽ(no matter the video setings@ 100% 1680*1050).

I just want to play warfare hosting it from my PC and with min fps of 30 (biggest firefights, latter in the game).

No, that one's slower then the 5470, like I said look for ones with the 5650 or the 330. Those are the fastest notebook gpu's you're going to get with that budget.

something like this samsung, but there's plenty laptops within budget this acer with 3yr warranty (and I wouldn't get an acer without that warranty) or this sony of a HP or a toshiba, even a dell studio 17 is within budget, although that only has 2GB ram standard. you should be able to get one of those in the uk as well.

Got one ! Thanks so much for you help mate. Processor cannot be helped really best i can do here.

- 2.26 GHz

- 2.5 GT/s DMI

- 3 MB Smart Cache

- 4 GB

- DDR3

- NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

- 1 GB dedicated video memory

Will this run the game a lot better (Seeing as I have a Pentium D 3.20Ghz now :() along with my Nvidia 8800 GT? I don't want an i7 or something since I'm getting one next year, but will this quad hold me off well and raise my shitty 15-20 FPS to at least a playable 30 FPS in combat scenarios?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115057&cm_re=Intel_Core_2_quad-_-19-115-057-_-Product

Will this run the game a lot better (Seeing as I have a Pentium D 3.20Ghz now :() along with my Nvidia 8800 GT? I don't want an i7 or something since I'm getting one next year, but will this quad hold me off well and raise my shitty 15-20 FPS to at least a playable 30 FPS in combat scenarios?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115057&cm_re=Intel_Core_2_quad-_-19-115-057-_-Product

Yeah it'll have a massive enchancement on FPS, yet your GPU will be the one bottlenecking.

Im running a phenom 965 be upgraded from an e8400 and there was a difference but not as much as some would think.My question is i have a gtx 465 card runs the game very well my question is would getting another gtx 465 to sli be better then getting 1 gtx 480?Im just wondering how well scaling is in arma 2 with sli.most games adding a 2nd gtx 465 would net a 90% performance increase.anyone with any thoughts whether i should sli or run a single 480?obviously if it scales good enough to beat the 480 i would want to sli does anyone have a similar rig with some advice?I do not want to sli if its going to be a waste of money for arma 2 this game was the main reason i upgraded