Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

The most interesting rumor I've heard is the card should have an idle power of only 3W. If you couple that with a good psu and an 1155 sandy bridge cpu and a ssd you could get a gaming system that only uses about 25W in idle.

Yah, that and if the performance rumours turn out to be true, the 79xx series are going to be nice cards at a good price. Unfortunately, and as always, we have to endure the Semiaccurate FUD etc until we get objective reviews from reliable sources.

Edited by BangTail

Bit Tech purposely omitting 3GB 580 scores is just lame IMHO, reeks of bias (and what AMD was doing with their slides, as I suspected).

Honestly, considering all of Semiaccurates FUD about how this was a 6990 killer etc, these cards are distinctly unimpressive vis a vis performance.

The 580 Ultra will likely match (or beat) these and no doubt Kepler will just drive the nails in even further. Showing up with a video card that is only ~20% faster than a card released last Xmas is just not good enough.

As you say, nice power features etc but I don't really care about any of that, only performance.

Edited by BangTail

In some games like shogun 2 it is much faster. In other games, like battlefield 3 it's only a couple fps. Ati and battlefield 3's MSAA really dont get along.

Yes, I saw Shogun but that is likely down to VRAM or some driver shenanigans.

I really was expecting more tbh :(

Shogun is an amd "sponsored" title. So amd cards doing good is to be expected.

I recently ordered a new computer as my current one runs arma 2 on the lowest graphics possible (it's 6 years old). Will my PC be able to run ArmA 2 total max? As well as ArmA 3 total max?

My new specs are these:

CPU: Intel Core I7 2600K SANDY BRIDGE 3.4GHz S1155 CPU -RETAIL

MBoard: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO Z68 S1155/DDR3/SATA3/RAID/HDMI/ATX

Power supply: 850W Corsair TX V2 Series ATX 4X PCI-E/8X SATA

Memory: 6GB (3X2GB) DRR3 Corsair XMS3 DRR3 P10666

Video Card: 3GB EVGA GTX 580 PCI-Express 2.0 DUAL DVI

Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 Black Mid Tower Case W/Side Window

Additional Fan: (At least 3) 120M Cooler Master Sickleflow Blue LED Fan

HDD: 500GB Seagate.

there is no computer out there capable of running a2 all maxed out. it depends on a number of factors. but you will surely be able to run it close to max.

regarding a3, one can only speculate.

quetion though: why are you running triple memory on a dual chnl mainboard?

there is no computer out there capable of running a2 all maxed out. it depends on a number of factors. but you will surely be able to run it close to max.

What do you mean? I only chose the video card and CPU and the rest was recommended to me by the company i'm ordering from.

Dragon19, you should come close to being able to run at full tilt. If you have a little extra $$ an ssd instead of your hard drive will give you inceased performance.

Yeah an SSD is on my list but unfortunately the new PC is already reaching almost 2K euro.... it's 1.600 something and just can't afford an SSD right now. But that will definitely be on my list.

How about swapping the 2600K for a 2500k?

Moreover 850W PSU is also a bit of an overkill.

You could easily run that rig with a smaller PSU, e.g. CMPSU-650TX.

Now with the $150 you've saved you can afford a 120GB SATA3 SSD.

Finally your HDD is simply marked "500GB Seagate", I'd opt for a WD Caviar Blue.

They're the fastest HDD apart from 10k drives like the Raptors.

Edited by domokun

This is true and even my system with specs below cannot run this game maxed out with hundreds of AI on screen all at once without stuttering. I don't think its the graphics card not keeping up but rather all the AI and physics calculation killing the performance since those are CPU bound and even with a six core Sandy Bridge E the CPU can only do so much since the game is not coded to take advantage of all six cores.

But after upgrading from an AMD FX8150 I did see a BIG BIG jump in performance!

---------- Post added at 08:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 AM ----------

They are trying to compete and they desperately need a successful non paper launch of the 79xx series.

This has not been a good year for them and if the rumours about the 79xx series have any truth to them, it might be at least slightly salvageable (in terms of PR at the very least).

The real problem at this point is that it is looking like a totally paper launch.

I wouldn't touch AMD with a barge pole tbh. I like their hardware but I cannot deal with their shoddy drivers.

At the end of the day, we all need AMD to stay in the GPU picture as competition is good for everyone.

Bulldozer was a very bad thing as it has forced AMD to pull out of the desktop CPU market altogether and that leaves Intel unchallenged.

Shoddy drivers are an issue of the past. I have been running Arma 2 with Radeon 6970 in crossfire for the past year and never encounter any issues whatsoever.

How about swapping the 2600K for a 2500k?

Moreover 850W PSU is also a bit of an overkill.

You could easily run that rig with a smaller PSU, e.g. CMPSU-650TX.

Now with the $150 you've saved you can afford a 120GB SATA3 SSD.

Finally your HDD is simply marked "500GB Seagate", I'd opt for a WD Caviar Blue.

They're the fastest HDD apart from 10k drives like the Raptors.

I was actually gonna go for a 600W PSU but they told me not to do so don't know why... I had also ordered a 500GB Caviar Blue but they didn't have it in stock so they gave me a call and offered me the Seagate option. Pity =/ but It's what I was recommended and can't change anything now as I have ordered the PC already.

Edited by Dagon19

Shoddy drivers are an issue of the past. I have been running Arma 2 with Radeon 6970 in crossfire for the past year and never encounter any issues whatsoever.

Ahhh, so that is why there were 3 revisions of the 11.12 driver right?

Maybe ArmA 2 is ok, I haven't had AMD cards for a while now so I couldn't say, the last time I tried CF with ArmA 2, I wasn't impressed at all.

Also, I've seen it take months for AMD to release CF profiles which is unacceptable

If you're happy with your cards, great, but that's definitely not the experience I have had or the experiences I've read or heard about from others when it comes to CF (I'm talking generally here, not just ArmA).

I'll grant you this, CF scaling is way better than it used to, some very impressive results with the 6xxx and 7xxx series cards.

Edited by BangTail

I was actually gonna go for a 600W PSU but they told me not to do so don't know why... I had also ordered a 500GB Caviar Blue but they didn't have it in stock so they gave me a call and offered me the Seagate option. Pity =/ but It's what I was recommended and can't change anything now as I have ordered the PC already.

I don't know who "they" are but, next time, check here and cross-reference with reputable, non-partisan sites.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, "they" gave you fairly good advice overall.

Going for an oversized PSU is fairly common mistake (in some countries people believe "bigger is better").

Anyone any idea why sys req lab says I have only 700mb vram when I actually have 2 gigs?!

wtfol.th.jpg

I wouldn't worry about it too much, "they" gave you fairly good advice overall.

Going for an oversized PSU is fairly common mistake (in some countries people believe "bigger is better").

If they recommended him 6Gigs of ram instead of 4, 8, 16 ...etc they propably didnt advice him well.

Kinda wonder how much he had paid for the ram, since you can get 8Gig of ram for 45Eur.Looks like they happily got rid of their old stock :rolleyes:

As of the 850W PSU and the bigger the better, it kind of works that way, unless you tell them you do not plan on 570 SLI and you will not use 6 2TB HDD's ..etc

Obviously, if you have 400W to spare, its nothing but waste, although where, say 150W is rather recommended in case a peak time kicks in.

Than again, he could do easily with 750W and still had loads of juice, but the ''helpful'' store stuff though the more expensive, the better...

HDD - the blue line is not as bad as the green one, but I'd have gone for WD black if anything, if its his OS and the only drive

either way, the crucial parts are fine, Im just refering to some hickups on their part though.

Sgt wilson - under my comuter, properties, Win index / detailed performance, you will find your Vram size, so unless its still 800Mb there too, I wouldn't worry about it, like not one bit

Edited by Bee8190
reason

Well their 8 GB sticks they had didn't have some "heat resistance" properties to be honest I think that's BS but anyway... and their 3x2 ram sticks did. down the line if I really need an SSD and more ram I'll get it :) So if I can run ArmA 2 on almost max I'm sure I can do so on other games and especially ArmA 3 I hope.... the price of this PC is 1.645 euros

Edited by Dagon19

If you think there is a reasonable possibility that you will upgrade in the future then it may be worth getting a bigger PSU than the current system requires, but buying an overly large PSU is not just wasteful due to the spare capacity which is sitting there doing nothing, it's also inefficient. A (good) PSU is normally most efficient at around 60% load and then efficiency remains fairly constant up to 100%. However beneath peak (~60%) load, efficiency goes down as load goes down.

Thus a 600W PSU with a 300W system power draw (50% load) would be more efficient than an 850W PSU with a 300W system power draw (~35% load), assuming the quality of components making up both PSUs is roughly the same.

I suppose that's being pernickety though :D

How would this PC run Arma 2?

Motherboard - Asus P8Z68-V ebuyer

CPU - Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz ebuyer

Graphics Card - Sapphire HD 6870 1GB ebuyer

RAM - Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333MHz ebuyer

It would run Arma 2 happily on high, and very high should also be playable, depending on your monitor's resolution. Whilst the CPU is great (as is the Corsair memory), the graphics card is the weak link in the system. Something more powerful like a HD6950 1GB or a GTX 560TI 1GB would offer more FPS and ensure very high runs (more) smoothly.

It would run Arma 2 happily on high, and very high should also be playable, depending on your monitor's resolution. Whilst the CPU is great (as is the Corsair memory), the graphics card is the weak link in the system. Something more powerful like a HD6950 1GB or a GTX 560TI 1GB would offer more FPS and ensure very high runs (more) smoothly.

Thank you. The resolution I use is 1152x864(interface resolution on Arma) and the Arma 2 "3d resolution" is 768x576. My PC runs it on very low, so i don't know how useful the 3d resolution is(does it change with settings)?

Will this resolution(I think my monitor is 22 inches) make it easier to run?

I think we should continue in this thread but i leave that to mods - http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=87256

anyways, maybe not everyone will agree but i personaly think that getting 1333Mhz RAM is bad decission.

You can get 1600Mhz CL9 T1 sticks for under 50Eur today and afaik even Ivy bridge is about to natively support up to 1866Mhz,

so future upgrade will be easier to deal with, plus you get lower timings, cooler sticks and more room for OC, since those will most likely run at 1.35V.

I mean if you having 2500K, which begs for OC'ing, why get 1333Mhz ram?

1Gb GFX Vram...You will better be off with 2Gb, safest bet for 2012 games inmy book

You didn't mention HDD though but make sure it won't become your most noticeable bottleneck

I think we should continue in this thread but i leave that to mods - http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=87256

anyways, maybe not everyone will agree but i personaly think that getting 1333Mhz RAM is bad decission.

You can get 1600Mhz CL9 T1 sticks for under 50Eur today and afaik even Ivy bridge is about to natively support up to 1866Mhz,

so future upgrade will be easier to deal with, plus you get lower timings, cooler sticks and more room for OC, since those will most likely run at 1.35V.

I mean if you having 2500K, which begs for OC'ing, why get 1333Mhz ram?

1Gb GFX Vram...You will better be off with 2Gb, safest bet for 2012 games inmy book

You didn't mention HDD though but make sure it won't become your most noticeable bottleneck

Well this would be my first build, I'm not too tech savvy I threw this together after a few days research. I was going to reuse my current HDD (until the prices went down) which I believe is this, would that cause problems?

Edited by batch