Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

HA! NO! (to the laptops)

Would they run Crysis on max? Cause its about the same requirement.

Im running a core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.6, 4G ram, HD 4850 and I set viedistance to 2000 in order to get decent performance with medium settings....

As for the desktop rig your are getting, sounds sweet. My guess is that you will be able to run at max on your tv, or if not max, then very close.

Edited by thaFunkster

Core i7 920 @ 3.6gHz

ASUS P6T DELUXE V2 Mobo

6gb Patriot DDR3 @ 1600mHz

SLI EVGA GeForce GTX 275 1792MB, PCI Express 2.0 x16 (3584MB total memory)

Think I'm going to be able to run the game on high/max settings while hooked up to a 40" tv through HDMI? (I forget exactly which resolution the tv is...)

Also, I'm going to be picking up a laptop. This is what I had in mind...

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9000 2.0GHz

4GB DDR2 800mhz

640GB HDD in Raid 0 Stripe

GTX 260M 1GB

Or this...

Intel Core 2 Duo T9300 2.5GHz

4GB Dual Channel DDR2 667MHz

512MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3870 (optional 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GT for $350 more) =/

Am I going to be able to get a 10k view distance with either rig without killing performance?

The first PC is sweet. Not sure if it (or indeed anything) can run ArmA 2 on max settings, but it certainly wont disappoint.

Wouldnt bother with laptops tbh. The first one is definitely the better of the two, but if you can change the configuration, I would get it without the RAID hard drives.

The first PC is sweet. Not sure if it (or indeed anything) can run ArmA 2 on max settings, but it certainly wont disappoint.

Wouldnt bother with laptops tbh. The first one is definitely the better of the two, but if you can change the configuration, I would get it without the RAID hard drives.

Well, I'll be deploying in not too long, so a laptop is going to be my only option for a long time. Trying to spend less than $2k if possible, and still be able to enjoy the game at reasonable settings... And yeah, that first one runs crysis at like 4 fps with all settings maxed, ha. 20-30 fps with things toned down iirc.

Considering this, sorta...

Intel Core2 Quad Q9000 2.00GHz or Intel Core2 Extreme X9100 3.06GHz

Dual XFire 512MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3870

4GB 2 Chan DDR3 1066MHz

500GB Raid 0 Array

The parts for my pc should be waiting at home when I get back from field training next week, so I'm pretty stoked about putting that together... What's sad is that that laptop is more expensive than the parts for my desktop were... =/

Maybe I should look into building a micro ATX, but I'm worried about getting parts that wont fit into the case if I go with that. Especially since everything I do is over the mail, and I can't really shop anything in person...

BTW, why would you go without the raid? I've been really happy with my last desktop in a striping array.... It's able to access and write data muuuuch faster than a standalone configuration...

Edited by DrLame
laptop

I'm currently running Arma on my laptop (HP Pavilion HDX18-1050eb), and it runs damn smooth with the right config..:

- Specs:

CPU: Intel® Core2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26GHz

RAM: 4GB

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT

- Arma Video Settings:

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/6016/arma22009091100302957.png (Interface and 3D resolution have changed though: 1920*1080 and 1680*945)

I am saving up for a new computer though, because things can ALWAYS be better :)

Edited by Flightster

Considering this, sorta...

Intel Core2 Quad Q9000 2.00GHz or Intel Core2 Extreme X9100 3.06GHz

Dual XFire 512MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3870

4GB 2 Chan DDR3 1066MHz

500GB Raid 0 Array

The parts for my pc should be waiting at home when I get back from field training next week, so I'm pretty stoked about putting that together... What's sad is that that laptop is more expensive than the parts for my desktop were... =/

You're certainly not going to get top quality performance from that system. You'll need to make some compromises with graphics quality to get ArmA 2 running smoothly on it.

BTW, why would you go without the raid? I've been really happy with my last desktop in a striping array.... It's able to access and write data muuuuch faster than a standalone configuration...

Reliability issues. In a RAID 0 setup, if one of your two hard drives goes, you lose all your data, so you effectively double your odds of suffering a catastrophic hard drive failure. It also seems a bit stupid from a power and weight perspective to have two hard drives in a laptop. Want performance? Get an SSD. A single one will obliterate the fastest RAID 0 setups with conventional HDs.

Yeah, but I don't have $700 to burn on a 256gb HDD, or I'd be getting a much better laptop, heh. And the smaller ones aren't any better pricewise, really. The weight and power aren't an issue since it'll be in a pelican in a container, or sitting on a desk plugged in. I just need to make sure I backup data...

But all this has me looking more and more at a micro ATX rig. I just can't justify spending more money on a mediocre laptop than I just did on a core i7 with SLI gfx...

Core i7 920 @ 3.6gHz

ASUS P6T DELUXE V2 Mobo

6gb Patriot DDR3 @ 1600mHz

SLI EVGA GeForce GTX 275 1792MB, PCI Express 2.0 x16 (3584MB total memory)

Think I'm going to be able to run the game on high/max settings while hooked up to a 40" tv through HDMI? (I forget exactly which resolution the tv is...)

Do you have this, or you plan to build it? Regardless those specs should be pretty damn good for Arma II, I mean you can only do a little better on the GPU side, where I went. If you compare my chipset and memory to yours, and maybe Cpu (although I feel the Phenom II's are just as good) I'd say you're nearly even with my rig, if not even. I'm not sure how much this game likes memory bandwidth, but regardless I have no doubt you can max it out just like I do. And I just so happen to have a 42" HDTV 120hz, but I really only using for my racing simulator and flight simulator (Live for Speed S2 Alpha & Flight Simulator X), but I "have" used the HDTV playing Arma II and it was pretty cool, especially being able to max out the graphics, I'm not sure how it would look on a HDTV of that size 40/42 otherwise.

You're good to go, so long as Arma II doesn't give you any trouble detecting and using your SLI, you'll be getting great frame rates. IMO 80-140, depending, as low as 60 but I doubt ever below, regardless 60 is all you need; but having that overhead is really good, because it's far more likely your frame rate will never fall below 60. Mine hasn't, ever.

I'm running an 9950 Phenom @3.0 with 4GB RAM and a GTX280 and im getting crappy frames.

But if I run it on MED or VERY HIGH it doesn't change much in FPS so IDK what to do lol.

Fraps says 20-31ish FPS.

And if you put the game on low - normal its just looks terrible and is all blurry....

Such a great game.... just can win with settings though.

Has anyone tried arma2 on the core i5 750(socket 1156)?

It should be as fast as the core i7 920(socket 1366) when it comes to arma but I'd like to see some benchmarks proving that first...

i´ve bought a new computer some days ago (its beeing build right now... well at least on monday :D) and i´d like to know if my hopes are somehow eligible...

specs:

AMD Phenom II X4 945 4x3.0ghz

4092 mb ddr2-800 ram

1tb sata 7.200rpm 16mb cache hdd

Geforce GTX 285

i´ve hoped for arma 2 to be playable with mid-high setting, 2000-4000m viewdistance AA 2x or 4x, fillrate 100% and that at 1920x1080.

that pc´ll run on windows 7 64bit.

everything ive read so far points out to the cpu beeing the most important part.

has someone any experience with overclocking that cpu type?

i´ve ordered it with a "better" fan with a little overclocking in mind, but i´ve never done something like this...

and i dont want to burn my old pc while i´m waiting :P

sorry for my terrible english.

try to avoid the upgrade voucher option guys.

when I had the xp to vista upgrade option it was a royal pain in the arse trying to process it and in the end I just couldn't be bothered and left it.

It's not like you just post it off and they post you your upgrade back no questions asked. It would be easier to just get by with an older OS until 7 is out, or just wait the month or so until it is out.

What do you think about this?

SLI Nvidia GTX 260 (896 Mb each)

Quad-core Intel Q9550 (2.83 GHz).

4 Gb DDR2 (800 MHz)

1 Tb Sata (120Mb/s)

I hope it's good, I bought it this week :D

4 Gb DDR2 (800 MHz)

1 Tb Sata (120Mb/s)

It's good, but if you had waited 3 weeks you could have bought a graphics card that is cheaper and faster at the same time.

And the new Core i5, which will be cheaper on the long term due to upgrade possibilities you don't have now.

It's good, but if you had waited 3 weeks you could have bought a graphics card that is cheaper and faster at the same time.

And the new Core i5, which will be cheaper on the long term due to upgrade possibilities you don't have now.

Ah, cool.

It's not a problem. The store I ordered it from hasn't sent it yet, so I have time to change it!

I've just ordered a new computer:

AMD Phenom II X3 720 BE 2,8Ghz

HIS Radeon HD 4870 1GB

Asus m4a78 pro mobo

4GB Corsair xms2 RAM

320GB SATA2 HDD

What settings do you think I'll be able to run ArmAII in? :)

OK so I can just about play this with my current system.

AMD Athlon 64 6000+ X2

3GB RAM

nVidia 7950GT 512mb

Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS

Windows XP SP3

Running mostly minimum apart from texture detail. Getting about 30 FPS in empty areas with nothing going on. Down to 15 in the cities. What would be a good thing to upgrade?

4 Gb DDR2 (800 MHz)

1 Tb Sata (120Mb/s)

Wouldnt have bothered with the SLI cards, but it's good asides from that.

I just bought a new PC, with these specs:

Core i5 750

XFX HD 4890 xXx

MSI P55-GD65 mobo

Corsair XMS DDR3 1600mhz 4GB CL9

WD Caviar GreenPower 750GB 32mb cache

Anyone know if I'll be able to play it on high? I'll be using Windows 7 RC as OS and my TV for monitor.

I've already bought ArmA II and can't wait to play it on tuesday when my PC arrives.

I think I might have f'ed up on the RAM though.

The Corsair is PC3-12800, and I'm not 100% sure it's supported by my mobo =/

Does anyone know?

That looks like a good spec.

Unless DDR3 works completely differently to every other form of RAM made before now, if your motherboard doesn't 'support' it, that means that it will run the RAM at a speed that it can support. So if your motherboard can only support 1333MHz DDR3, and you insert 1600MHz RAM, it will work, but only at 1333MHz.

In reality, RAM speed doesn't have a big impact on overall system performance so that's no problems here. Unless of course you spent more money on the faster RAM which you wont be able to use... :p

Btw, which graphics card are you thinking of?

That looks like a good spec.

Unless DDR3 works completely differently to every other form of RAM made before now, if your motherboard doesn't 'support' it, that means that it will run the RAM at a speed that it can support. So if your motherboard can only support 1333MHz DDR3, and you insert 1600MHz RAM, it will work, but only at 1333MHz.

In reality, RAM speed doesn't have a big impact on overall system performance so that's no problems here. Unless of course you spent more money on the faster RAM which you wont be able to use... :p

Phew, thanks!

Worst case scenario I'd just send the RAM back to the web store I bought it from and get my money back, but that would mean that I'd have to wait a couple of days for the money to be transferred back to my account. Then I'd have to wait another few days for new RAM to arrive.. that'd be a bitch when you're as impatiant as I am :p

I bought the mobo online, and it said that it's supported RAM speeds were: PC3-6400, PC3-8500, PC3-10666. So when I saw that the RAM I bought had PC3-12800 I got kinda nervous. But I also checked the manual on MSI.com and there it said:

"4 DDR3 DIMMs support DDR3 2133*(OC)/ 2000*(OC) /1600*(OC)/ 1333/ 1066 DRAM (16GB Max)"

The "1600*(OC)" part, does that mean that the mobo actually supports 1600mhz and thus supports PC3-12800? I'm a noob at RAM, but am I correct in assuming that 1600 mhz = PC3-12800 redface.gif

Edited by OstiasMoscas

I checked it out, and sure enough, PC3-12800 corresponds to 1600MHz. They sometimes use the PC 'x' designation for RAM speeds, there's some explanation as to what those numbers mean, but I cant remember what they mean, so I generally use the more manageable MHz ratings.

I checked it out, and sure enough, PC3-12800 corresponds to 1600MHz. They sometimes use the PC 'x' designation for RAM speeds, there's some explanation as to what those numbers mean, but I cant remember what they mean, so I generally use the more manageable MHz ratings.

Great, thanks!

I wouldn't want to f'up my brand new mobo by using the wrong kind of RAM :p

the deal is there are a few different DDR3 types of RAM by the voltage rating. Get the RIGHT voltage rated RAM for your MB.