Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

Don't forget the game has memory leaks and even the best systems at this time needs rebooting every 2-3 hours. (not proven but appears to help)

GTX 260, 4Gb RAM, dual core 3.2 lets me run at max settings (view distance 4k)

Don't forget the game has memory leaks and even the best systems at this time needs rebooting every 2-3 hours. (not proven but appears to help)

No memory leaks here and no rebooting every 2 or 3 hours.

Must be something on your end.

Eth

Oh cmon maybe game is a bit problematic but it looks absolutely incredible (not mentioning gameplay) - for me it is best looking game ever and I play games for last 25 years - starting from digger ;)

... and I play all on normal and low - for the first time in my life (normally if I cant play on vhigh I just do not play games couse I seen it all and I am only after fresh and bleeding edge thingis in games which is unfortunately mostly graphics recently).

Of course I would love A2 to be maxed out and constant 60fps on my machine but well in 2 years if I will still remember were I keep my DVD to A2 I will come back (no I will not I never did) and play it on max details ...

And my spec is q9550 @ 4ghz + 4gb DDR2 1200mhz + Oced 260GTX - it allows my to play A2 mostly on normal + AA and PP on low and ViewDistance 6200m in 35+ fps which is more then ok for this game (ofc 60fps would be better ;))

Cheers

Edited by sebna

Hey could you point me in the direction of somewhere that sells gamming laptops that can run arma at high to optimal levels?

What country do you live in?

Unless you really really can't get one - you'd be much better off with a desktop, both in terms of value for money and performance.

Just wait for the GTX 300 cards :P Imagine ArmA 2 with DX11..... *drool*
The card you seek has not been invented yet.

More accurately the CPU you need does not yet exist.

From pcgameshardware: " But even more important is the low performance: Even on overclcoked highest-end hardware (Core i7; 12 GiByte RAM and a GTX 285 with 2 GiByte VRAM) ArmA 2 becomes a slide show (less than 15 fps) running at 1,280 x 1,024 pixels with very high details."

If this is true the optimization is SHIT.

If I'm not mistaken, this was three posts in a row, of nonsense.

I run this game MAXED with my rig, and I didn't run to the future for my purchases. This go's from, first, just bad advice, telling someone to wait when they wanna play, second, two lies, third, absolute nonsense and that website has someone working there that tested the game drunk.

Absolutely ridiculous, does it need a little optimization, sure, what game doesn't that's this new, but....eh, I play it well over 60fps all times, and I mean WELL over, so there's a problem somewhere, simple as that. People don't need to wait a year and spend a few thousand dollars, because the hardware will all be brand spankin new, and play the game when it's...old! No way.

Edited by Rhammstein

Ok, so I'm looking at saving up for a computer and I wanted to make sure that it could play ArmA 2. Unfortunately, I'm not very tech savvy. I asked my brother (who's a bit more tech savvy than I am) and he said that it should, but I wanted to get another opinion.

HP Firebird 802:

- Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q9400

- 4GB PC2-6400 DDR2 SDRAM

- 500GB Serial ATA hard drive capacity

- Dual NVIDIA GeForce 9800S SLI graphics cards

Now, I don't know what all of those numbers mean so I'm pretty much in the dark. I posted the information that seemed pertinent. I'm looking to run it on pretty high settings but if I can't run it at the top settings for graphics/shadows/water/etc. I won't be heartbroken.

This computer costs about a grand and I'm really not looking to spend any more money than that, considering I'm going to have to save for a while to even get that, so I'm fearful that if that won't run it, then I probably won't be able to get the game.

Ok, so I'm looking at saving up for a computer and I wanted to make sure that it could play ArmA 2. Unfortunately, I'm not very tech savvy. I asked my brother (who's a bit more tech savvy than I am) and he said that it should, but I wanted to get another opinion.

HP Firebird 802:

Now, I don't know what all of those numbers mean so I'm pretty much in the dark. I posted the information that seemed pertinent. I'm looking to run it on pretty high settings but if I can't run it at the top settings for graphics/shadows/water/etc. I won't be heartbroken.

This computer costs about a grand and I'm really not looking to spend any more money than that, considering I'm going to have to save for a while to even get that, so I'm fearful that if that won't run it, then I probably won't be able to get the game.

ArmA 2 (and a lot of other games for the matter) have a problem with SLI cards. In addition, there's no point in getting an SLI version with two mediocre cards, you're better off getting a single fast one (GTX260/GTX275/HD4870/HD4890) if that company allows you to customize the machines.

What country are you in?

HP Firebird 802:

The firebird small form factor pc is made by Voodoo PC just an FYI and sold as HP.

http://www.voodoopc.com/#/productsfirebird

IMO it is not a great platform for gaming.

Will it play games? Sure. But for ARMA 2 I could see it struggling.

First off, the 9800s is a notebook/mobile graphics processor.

Mobile graphics are generally pretty weak.

It's also basically non-upgradable. So you would be stuck with what you have.

In reality the firebird is not much more than a glorified laptop put into a shiny SFF setup.

IMO it was probably built to go toe to toe with MACs. Small, compact and good looking.

For everyday tasks and mild gaming it's probably pretty decent but for arma 2 I wouldn't risk $1000 bucks on it.

They had a pretty nice one called the Blackbird, but I haven't heard anything about them lately.

I'd suggest going to newegg and browsing gaming pcs.

They have many that are just slightly above $1000 that would be better suited for this game.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2032280010%201308920938&bop=And&ActiveSearchResult=True&Page=2

Edited by ICE-Raver

ArmA 2 (and a lot of other games for the matter) have a problem with SLI cards. In addition, there's no point in getting an SLI version with two mediocre cards, you're better off getting a single fast one (GTX260/GTX275/HD4870/HD4890) if that company allows you to customize the machines.

What country are you in?

The US. What does it mean if a card is SLI?

The firebird small form factor pc is made by Voodoo PC just an FYI and sold as HP.

http://www.voodoopc.com/#/productsfirebird

IMO it is not a great platform for gaming.

Will it play games? Sure. But for ARMA 2 I could see it struggling.

First off, the 9800s is a notebook/mobile graphics processor.

Mobile graphics are generally pretty weak.

It's also basically non-upgradable. So you would be stuck with what you have.

In reality the firebird is not much more than a glorified laptop put into a shiny SFF setup.

IMO it was probably built to go toe to toe with MACs. Small, compact and good looking.

For everyday tasks and mild gaming it's probably pretty decent but for arma 2 I wouldn't risk $1000 bucks on it.

They had a pretty nice one called the Blackbird, but I haven't heard anything about them lately.

I'd suggest going to newegg and browsing gaming pcs.

They have many that are just slightly above $1000 that would be better suited for this game.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2032280010%201308920938&bop=And&ActiveSearchResult=True&Page=2

Would it be more cost effective to just buy the parts to upgrade an older computer? We have an older tower that we don't use anymore so I'm wondering if I'd just end up spending a lot of money on a tower that's going to be OK, when I could spend less money to get it up to the same level or better. Any opinions?

What about this one?

iBUYPOWER Gamer Extreme 948D3 Core 2 Quad Q9300(2.50GHz) 4GB DDR3 500GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 275 Windows Vista Home Premium ... - Retail

Recommended Usage: Gaming

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300(2.5GHz)

Processor Main Features: 64 bit Quad-Core Processor

Cache Per Processor: 6MB L2 Cache

Memory: 4GB (2GB x 2) DDR3-1333

Hard Drive: 500GB SATAII

Optical Drive 1: 22X DL DVD+/-RW Drive

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX-275 896MB Video Card

Model #: Gamer Extreme 948D3

Item #: N82E16883227159

Edited by catintheengine

Would it be more cost effective to just buy the parts to upgrade an older computer? We have an older tower that we don't use anymore so I'm wondering if I'd just end up spending a lot of money on a tower that's going to be OK, when I could spend less money to get it up to the same level or better. Any opinions?

What about this one?

iBUYPOWER Gamer Extreme 948D3 Core 2 Quad Q9300(2.50GHz) 4GB DDR3 500GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 275 Windows Vista Home Premium ... - Retail

Well if you can do the build yourself you can definitely come out ahead building your own system.

As far as the other system you posted it is decent, but I am unsure about the 275. I have heard mixed reviews about them.

IMO this one is a better deal and only 20 bucks higher.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227135

Or this one for 30 bucks more that comes with a free windows 7 upgrade.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227157

Edited by ICE-Raver

As far as the other system you posted it is decent, but I am unsure about the 275. I have heard mixed reviews about them.

IMO this one is a better deal and only 20 bucks higher.

Not sure where you got that idea, the GTX275 is at least as good as a HD4890, and a good deal better than the GTX260 you linked.

The US. What does it mean if a card is SLI?

It means that you get two graphics cards. While this may sound good, in reality it isnt an ideal setup, especially with two middle of the road cards.

That's a pretty good spec. If you can, I'd get a slightly faster CPU and a Windows 7 upgrade.

Edited by echo1

Thanks everyone for all of your help! I'm going to try to get ahold of some people I know who are knowledgeable on building computers and see if maybe they could help me figure out which way would be wiser for me to go (building or buying) and if nothing else, it's only about $1,100 to buy a pretty good computer.

Not sure where you got that idea, the GTX275 is at least as good as a HD4890, and a good deal better than the GTX260 you linked.

I could have swore that I read about alot of people having issues with the 275's and arma? Maybe it was another card I was thinking of.

Anyway, I'm not sure and I really have no personal experience with 275's but I knew 260's were really good.

If that's the case I would definitely go with the second pc I posted with the AMD x4 if I were choosing between it and the one you posted.

It has the 275, a better proc and comes with a free windows 7 upgrade for 30 bucks more than the original one you posted.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883227157

Edited by ICE-Raver

Hey folks,

due to my low performance i purchased a Phenom II X4 945 with 3 Ghz.

Rest of system:

Xp

4gb DDR2

ATI 4850 with 512MB

WD 6400AACS with average transferrate of 70MB/s

But there are some times i get low fps (<30fps) mostly in cities or forest. What is the bottleneck of the system. I always see everyone ocing his cpu to maximum, but i can't oc my 945/ buy better cpu because my mainboard only allows cpu with maximum tdp of 95W.

What do you think of getting a 4870/4890 when the 5800 series is released and the prices of the older cards get cheaper? Or wait and buy a 5850 for 250 bucks (maybe more...)

Ok, I hate to bother you guys any more about any of this, but I have come up with another question. This one is about controlling the game.

I know a lot of people prefer a mouse and keyboard set-up to a gaming controller, but hear me out.

Is it possible to set-up the game so that I use mouse and keyboard when on foot, but once I enter a vehicle, I'm using an Xbox 360 controller?

Additionally, if I was to do that, does the Xbox 360 microphone headset work with the game?

Again, I really do appreciate your answers. You guys have been a big help to me and hopefully I'll see you guys (soon) on the battlefield.

I'm not sure about the Xbox headset, but I'm sure that if the game supports the controller properly (again, you might want to search "Xbox controller" to see if there's anything around, but I think the support exists) you can use the controller and keyboard/mouse simultaneously - i.e. there's no need to switch between them manually in the game. When you get into the vehicle, just pick up your controller and use it.

I'd recommend the keyboard and mouse, there's a pile of different controls to be used, and I'm not sure how well an Xbox controller could deal with even the most important ones. Also, I find myself more accurate with guns when using a mouse.

I could have swore that I read about alot of people having issues with the 275's and arma? Maybe it was another card I was thinking of.

Anyway, I'm not sure and I really have no personal experience with 275's but I knew 260's were really good.

To be honest, it's hard to know these days when it's a problem with the hardware, or one of ArmA II's seemingly endless bugs - everyone who has bad performance thinks that there's an 'issue' with their hardware and ArmA II. What's important is that the 275 is just a souped up 260, so in theory, there shouldn't be any issues as they are pretty much the same card for most purposes.

---------- Post added at 11:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 PM ----------

Hey folks,

due to my low performance i purchased a Phenom II X4 945 with 3 Ghz.

Rest of system:

Xp

4gb DDR2

ATI 4850 with 512MB

WD 6400AACS with average transferrate of 70MB/s

But there are some times i get low fps (<30fps) mostly in cities or forest. What is the bottleneck of the system. I always see everyone ocing his cpu to maximum, but i can't oc my 945/ buy better cpu because my mainboard only allows cpu with maximum tdp of 95W.

What do you think of getting a 4870/4890 when the 5800 series is released and the prices of the older cards get cheaper? Or wait and buy a 5850 for 250 bucks (maybe more...)

Wait till the new cards come out, if the patches haven't fixed the performance by then, maybe a new card may be in order. But on paper it's a good system and should be more than enough.

Edited by echo1

Ok, so now I'm starting to feel like a real tool. You guys have been so helpful and I keep asking questions.

Can someone explain to me in simple terms what a lot of these terms mean?

A friend directed me to dell.com to check out their computers and I found one that has:

- Intel® Core™ i7-920 processor(8MB L3 Cache, 2.66GHz)

Now, I've heard somewhere that i7 was a really powerful processor, but I've seen other computers that have a higher GHz. Honestly, I have no idea what any of this stuff means.

- 4GB6 Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM5 at 1066MHz - 4 DIMMs

My brother keeps telling me that DDR3 is really good, so I figure this has to be a good spec.

- 640GB 7200 RPM8 SATA Hard Drive

- nVidia GeForce GT 220, 1024MB

I guess this is the one that's got me really nervous.

I'm really attracted to this piece of hardware because it's actually less than a grand and every cent counts.

Again, if someone would be so kind as to explain what a lot of these terms mean, I'd really appreciate it and I wouldn't have to keep bothering you guys.

Ohh don't take this, the i7 series is a really nice cpu series, but in combination with only a GT 220 ArmA 2 won't be happy. If you get a chance then take a GTX 260 instead of a GT 220... If you haven't enough money, take a slower cpu and a better graphicscard like mentioned above :)

Ok, so now I'm starting to feel like a real tool. You guys have been so helpful and I keep asking questions.

Can someone explain to me in simple terms what a lot of these terms mean?

A friend directed me to dell.com to check out their computers and I found one that has:

- Intel® Core™ i7-920 processor(8MB L3 Cache, 2.66GHz)

Now, I've heard somewhere that i7 was a really powerful processor, but I've seen other computers that have a higher GHz. Honestly, I have no idea what any of this stuff means.

My brother keeps telling me that DDR3 is really good, so I figure this has to be a good spec.

- nVidia GeForce GT 220, 1024MB

I guess this is the one that's got me really nervous.

I'm really attracted to this piece of hardware because it's actually less than a grand and every cent counts.

Again, if someone would be so kind as to explain what a lot of these terms mean, I'd really appreciate it and I wouldn't have to keep bothering you guys.

Ok I will make it quick.

I7 is newest and greatest at the moment. So in terms of CPU it is best of what you showed so far.

But as you suspected the GFX (video card) is crap and nowhere near the power of CPU.

Imho if you have enough money buy I7 config with some 275 or 285 GFX and you should be happy. If you are patient type of person buy I7 setup and wait for new GFX family cards (first will be ATI with cards on market in few weeks then will come NV in few months).

Also because you do not look like a person who will clock his system aim for best parts you can afford as on those decisions you future gaming depends.

And finally little cultural saying in my home country:

Those who buy cheap buy twice :) - if you are looking for some reason to justify your big spending ;)

Good luck m8 and have fun.

Not knowing what your mb will be, the i7 CPU is a triple channel CPU, so for better performance go for 3 or 6 DIMMs.

I'd change this for 2x WD 300gb velociraptors(10000 rpm)which are clearly faster.

I made a small test: For better singleplayer i definitiv have to wait for AMDs Phenom III with 4.7 Ghz and 12 Cores if it is going to consume only 95W...

I decreased all graphic settings to "very low" and if aviable "disabled". It looks a bit better than flashpoint despite of the resolution. But i only get 23/24 FPS! Hell yeah with Phenom II X4 3 Ghz. There must be something wrong programmed or it is really a game which should be released two years in future.

I hope the patch will "fix" this. Did not tried MP with these settings. I think most times arma 2 mp is performend well with this cpu and a better graphics card than the 4850 512MB...

Hope the Patch 1.04 will be like the 1.08 for Armed Assault in case of its performance boost.

lowfps_1thumb.jpg lowfps_2thumb.jpg

Hey guys. I guess you get loads of people asking if their machines can run Arma 2, but I'd like to have an idea before I shell out the money. So I apologise :P I'm not exactly knowledgable about PC hardware, so reading back doesn't really help me.

I'm running an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz, ATI Radeon HD 4800 video card, 2 gig RAM.

Sounding ok for Arma 2, or horrible inadequate? lol. Please let me know if I haven't given enough info here.

Help greatly appreciated.