Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

Hi

first post here :)

sorry for my poor english

So im thinking to change my Graphic card to something better. but i dont know which one will work better on my actually rig. so im aiming for something like that: 4890/275/280?/285?? no sli/cf my mobo not support it.

today i found on site like ebay xfx 4890 BE (1k Mhz Gpu) but cant find any test to compare to 275. 280 and 285 is little bit expensive for me but if performance is much bigger than those 2 i can think about them. i want card which should do his job well for next 1,5 year like mine 8800gt which i bought at jan 2k8. im not gonna change my lcd cuz than 1gb can be not enough for fullhd. so what do u guys think? in not gonna change other stuff, only gpu. i can spend around 210 euro or 290$ but price here (im from poland) can be much different than in other countries.

thx

i am playing most stuff on high, post a-a etc off. visibilaty at 2000m. i get 20+ fps, which myself i find it playable. heres my system:

AMD 5600+ 2.91 Ghz

2gb memory

ATI HD 3870 512 MB

This will probably get moved to the stickied hardware thread, but I'm interested as well. I plan on getting one of these for my new computer, it seems like a good card.

Hi

So im thinking to change my Graphic card to something better. but i dont know which one will work better on my actually rig. so im aiming for something like that: 4890/275/280?/285?? no sli/cf my mobo not support it.

today i found on site like ebay xfx 4890 BE (1k Mhz Gpu) but cant find any test to compare to 275. 280 and 285 is little bit expensive for me but if performance is much bigger than those 2 i can think about them. i want card which should do his job well for next 1,5 year like mine 8800gt which i bought at jan 2k8. im not gonna change my lcd cuz than 1gb can be not enough for fullhd. so what do u guys think? in not gonna change other stuff, only gpu. i can spend around 210 euro or 290$ but price here (im from poland) can be much different than in other countries.

thx

A HD4890 is the best choice for ArmA 2. Whats the rest of the system like?

Ive got it at V.high runs at 20fps but no difference from high tbh so I leave it on high for fps's to be about 25-30 (all other settigs V.high exept post processing as the Motion blur does my nut in;

Hi

thx

I have a hd4870 512mo running on a 24 inch full hd monitor (1920*1200, 1080p, 5ms) and I get very good/good performance on every games. I do not own Arma 2 yet (waiting for north american release) but Crysis is running good at high.

With that said, I have a Q9550 @ 2.8ghz + 4gb ddr3 1333mhz...

But I would assume the hd4890 1gb would have absolutely no problem on a 24 inch full hd monitor. :)

Edited by Skodz

C2D E6750 @ 3.2GHz

4GB DD2 @ 800MHz (Dual channel)

HD 4890

Very high? Is it worth upgrading my CPU?

I'm buying this computer:

1 COOLERMASTER DOMINATOR 690 
1 ASUS P6T SE  
1 INTEL CORE I7 920 (2.66GHZ) SKT 1366 BOX (D0) 
1 CORSAIR HX-750W  
1 CORSAIR KIT 6GB DDR3 1600MHZ CLASSIC (CL8) 
1 ASUS GTX285/HTDP 1GB DDR3 PCI-E 
1 ASUS XONAR DX 7.1 PCI-E 
2 SEAGATE 500GB SATA II 16MB SP (7200.12) 
1 SAMSUNG DVD±R 22X SH-S223F PRETO BULK (SATA)  

What do you think?

Also, do you think I should ask to install te two hard drives in RAID 1? I heard it's faster but I don't know how much. Plus, I end with half the total storage capacity, so the speed improvment should be really noticeable.

Anyone try running this on an iMac running windows xp under Boot Camp yet?

Can anyone say if this game runs at 20fps at lowest settings in the following system?:

iMac Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz (Running Windows XP in Boot Camp)

NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB VRAM

2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Cheers

Can you customize or are you building it yourself?

BTW - RAID 1 = The contents of one hard drive are replicated on the other. You mean RAID 0 - but that has the disadvantage that if one drive dies, you lose all your data. Get one big disk instead.

Edited by echo1

I'm buying this computer:

1 COOLERMASTER DOMINATOR 690 
1 ASUS P6T SE  
1 INTEL CORE I7 920 (2.66GHZ) SKT 1366 BOX (D0) 
1 CORSAIR HX-750W  
1 CORSAIR KIT 6GB DDR3 1600MHZ CLASSIC (CL8) 
1 ASUS GTX285/HTDP 1GB DDR3 PCI-E 
1 ASUS XONAR DX 7.1 PCI-E 
2 SEAGATE 500GB SATA II 16MB SP (7200.12) 
1 SAMSUNG DVD±R 22X SH-S223F PRETO BULK (SATA)  

What do you think?

Also, do you think I should ask to install te two hard drives in RAID 1? I heard it's faster but I don't know how much. Plus, I end with half the total storage capacity, so the speed improvment should be really noticeable.

if could frow some money round id get very similar stuff. You wont lose half your HDD's capacity if you raid, unless you mirror, should get twice the read and right speed. If you have lots more money get 4 SSD's instead, like the OCZ 250Gb ones.

EDIT: Sorry just realised totaly off topic.

Edited by Minkey

Can you customize or are you building it yourself?

BTW - RAID 1 = The contents of one hard drive are replicated on the other. You mean RAID 0 - but that has the disadvantage that if one drive dies, you lose all your data. Get one big disk instead.

It was a custom build. I meant RAID 1 (the mirroring means it's safer, one goes down, the other will still contain a 1:1 copy of the other). And I guess it should be faster than RAID 0.

But that's what I would like to know. In terms of speed, RAID 1 > RAID 0?

if could frow some money round id get very similar stuff. You wont lose half your HDD's capacity if you raid, unless you mirror, should get twice the read and right speed. If you have lots more money get 4 SSD's instead, like the OCZ 250Gb ones.

Unfortunately I don't have THAT kind of money to throw around. :D Plus, don't those SSD have a much shorter life cycle?

Anyway, I'm undecided if I should RAID or not, and if yes, 0 or 1 (mirror)? :confused:

It was a custom build. I meant RAID 1 (the mirroring means it's safer, one goes down, the other will still contain a 1:1 copy of the other). And I guess it should be faster than RAID 0.

But that's what I would like to know. In terms of speed, RAID 1 > RAID 0?

Anyway, I'm undecided if I should RAID or not, and if yes, 0 or 1 (mirror)? :confused:

RAID 1 is as fast as a single disk (maybe slightly slower due to overhead). The reason why RAID 0 is so fast is because the computer only has to write half of the amount of data to each disk as normal. As it can do it concurrently, this means that in theory it can be up to about 2 times as fast compared to a single disk. (RAID 1 however writes all the data to the two disks at the same time so there is no benefit over writing to one disk) Obviously there are reliability penalties with RAID 0, so I wouldnt recommend it myself.

As for SSDs - some of the current ones (Intels ones, as well as OCZ Vertex) are quite good, but still expensive. If you want performance and you are prepared to spend a bit of money, an OCZ vertex for OS/Games and regular hard drives for your data is a pretty good idea, but I'd probably wait a year or so till the prices have come down. Also, Windows 7 will have proper support for them unlike XP/Vista.

To RAID or not? To be honest, I always found the idea of RAID 0 wasteful. If you are really afraid of losing hard drive data, I'd probably consider a RAID 5 setup, more reliable and you get more hard drive space.

As for the computer itself - I'd get a HD4890 instead of a GTX285. Although the GTX is slightly faster, it's not fast enough to justify that it's like 100 euros more expensive. Also, the HD4890 is better for ArmA II if benchmarks are to be believed. You also don't need a 750W PSU for that setup. 650W would be more than enough for that and for upgrades, and would let you save money on PSU power you'd never use.

CPU-wise, I'm not a huge fan of the Core i7, I think the Phenom II X4 gives you most of the power for much less money. There's also the fact that the LGA1366 motherboards are only going to be used for high-end workstation CPUs in the future, so AM3 will probably offer a better upgrade path (or if it doesnt, you won't feel so bad about throwing away the cheaper motherboard).

If you want speedy hard-drives, check out the Samsung F1s, available in either 750GB or 1TB capacity, they are quite fast for the price.

That of course assumes that you are able to customize the PC that way and you can get those components etc. It's not that the computer you are getting is bad (it's a top of the line design), it's just that the design can be tweaked for value for money and performance.

Edited by echo1

Hi.

First I want to thank all the sites that were scaring people, that they won`t be able to play this GREAT game, incredible approach really ! :D

Got my hands on the German edition + updated it to 1.01, tried, and was pretty surprised, despite the HW recommendation reviews because I have a:

System : Alienware m15x [Laptop !]

CPU: Intel® Core2 Duo CPU T9300 @ 2.50GHz [6MB L2 Cache]

Memory: 2.50GB DDR2

Chipset: Quanta Computer Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960

GPU: 512MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800M GTX

HDD: 120GB Sata 7200 RPM [+500GB in Smart Bay]

... and I am playing till now with this with no graphic issues on res.1920x1200 in High details [except shadows on normal] ... and with visibility of `2000`.

Don`t know what`s going on, but thank you very much to the BIS team for great mobile system `optimalization`, Cheers guys ! :cool: :D

Edited by Olasee

Well, your system exceeds the recommended specs so it's hardly a slouch.

2.5GB is an odd amount of RAM to have. I wonder if you really have 3-4GB and 32bit Vista is hiding some. Oh well, if it aint broke, why fix it? :D

Hi.

First I want to thank all the sites that were scaring people, that they won`t be able to play this GREAT game, incredible approach really ! :D

Got my hands on the German edition + updated it to 1.01, tried, and was pretty surprised, despite the HW recommendation reviews because I have a:

System : Alienware m15x [Laptop !]

CPU: Intel® Core2 Duo CPU T9300 @ 2.50GHz [6MB L2 Cache]

Memory: 2.50GB DDR2

Chipset: Quanta Computer Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960

GPU: 512MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800M GTX

HDD: 120GB Sata 7200 RPM [+500GB in Smart Bay]

... and I am playing till now with this with no graphic issues on res.1920x1200 in High details [except shadows on normal] ... and with visibility of `2000`.

Don`t know what`s going on, but thank you very much to the BIS team for great mobile system `optimalization`, Cheers guys ! :cool: :D

This is good news for me, thanks for posting. I have a Clevo M860TU which has the same architecture as your Alienware. However, I have 4GB of RAM and a 9800m rather than the 8800m. Looks like I'll be fine performance wise :D

I decided to upgrade to a Q9550 (SUPER fast multitasking!) :D :D

So my system specs are now:

Q9550 @ 3.4Ghz

OCZ Blade 4Gb 1066Mhz RAM

Geforce GTX 260 Core 216 Clocks: 670/1435/1070

GigaByte P45-UD3L Mobo

24 Inch Acer 1920x1080p HDMI monitor

XP 32 bit

I CANT WAIT to play Arma2!! Only 6 more days!

E5200 2.5ghz

9600gt

2GB Ram

1152/864 res, how will i play it?

You had a post earlier about the HD4850? That would be a better choice. And now that I think of it, those E5200s are really overclockable, you can take one up beyond 3.5GHz without much effort.