Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

Well ....

it seemed to me a little bit overpriced by alienware the 2 dedicated SO-DIMM Dual Channel DDR2 Memory of 4GB [up to 8GB omg :cool:] ... so I took only the 2x512MB, thrown out one and replaced it with a 2GB... so you have 2GB+512MB = 2.5 GB presto :D

... and till I don`t need more, I will save those few minutes of battery life instead :cool:

Gonzo... what kind of memory do you have, brand, spec, dual ch.?

PS:

9600gt <against> Min.Spec.: Graphics card with 256 MiB VRAM and Shader Model 3.0

.... should be low/med. details, options tweaking required I guess :)

Edited by Olasee

I have been reading and comparing about the best CPUs (ArmaA2_CPUs) but im a bit confused and in the end i don't exactly know which one is truly better for ArmA2 because there are several aspects to take in count.

From that picture i would say the INTEL CORE I7 920 (2.66GHZ) is a better option between the following CPUs, but is this true?

So i would like your truly and honest opinions about which one of the following is the best option for ArmA2?

INTEL CORE 2 QUAD Q9650 (3.00GHZ) SKT 775 BOX (needs a board with socket 775)

Or

INTEL CORE I7 920 (2.66GHZ) SKT 1366 BOX (D0) (needs a board with socket 1366)

Another thing:

Since Im buying a whole new system in order to run ArmA2 at almost its max would the following be a good option?

Would you change anything to run ArmA2 better?

CPU: INTEL CORE I7 920 (2.66GHZ) SKT 1366 BOX (D0)

Cooler: ARCTIC COOLING FREEZER 7 PRO

Board: GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R

Mem: 2x KINGSTON DDR3 2048MB 1333MHZ

Video card: XFX Ati HD4890 Black Edition 1024MB DDR5 PCI-E

Monitor: ASUS TFT 24" VW246H 2MS (WIDE) - HDMI

Power S: LC-POWER HYPERION V.2.2 700W (LC8700)

Case: ANTEC THREE HUNDRED

ps- I ask for people's sympathy and comprehension to these questions because my psychological side is really tired to run my loved games at pour quality.

edit: Placebo: should have i used the Hardware and settings for ArmA thread to post this? :\

Edited by bravo 6
Question to a moderator, please move this post if necessary. Sorry :s

I have been reading and comparing about the best CPUs (ArmaA2_CPUs) but im a bit confused and in the end i don't exactly know which one is truly better for ArmA2 because there are several aspects to take in count.

From that picture i would say the INTEL CORE I7 920 (2.66GHZ) is a better option between the following CPUs, but is this true?

So i would like your truly and honest opinions about which one of the following is the best option for ArmA2?

INTEL CORE 2 QUAD Q9650 (3.00GHZ) SKT 775 BOX (needs a board with socket 775)

Or

INTEL CORE I7 920 (2.66GHZ) SKT 1366 BOX (D0) (needs a board with socket 1366)

Another thing:

Since Im buying a whole new system in order to run ArmA2 at almost its max would the following be a good option?

Would you change anything to run ArmA2 better?

CPU: INTEL CORE I7 920 (2.66GHZ) SKT 1366 BOX (D0)

Cooler: ARCTIC COOLING FREEZER 7 PRO

Board: GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R

Mem: 2x KINGSTON DDR3 2048MB 1333MHZ

Video card: XFX Ati HD4890 Black Edition 1024MB DDR5 PCI-E

Monitor: ASUS TFT 24" VW246H 2MS (WIDE) - HDMI

Power S: LC-POWER HYPERION V.2.2 700W (LC8700)

Case: ANTEC THREE HUNDRED

ps- I ask for people's sympathy and comprehension to these questions because my psychological side is really tired to run my loved games at pour quality.

edit: Placebo: should have i used the Hardware and settings for ArmA thread to post this? :\

Go with the i7 for sure. That rig will destroy arma 2.

Bravo:

Have you considered a Phenom II CPU? It's pretty much as fast as the Core i7 for ArmA, (see benchmarks) and is cheaper. That said, if you want performance at all costs, Core i7 may be the way to go. (Don't expect to be able to upgrade it in the future though, as LGA1366 motherboards are going to be restricted to workstation chips).

One thing that you should definitely change is the PSU, which looks pretty crappy. I'd get one of these. It's more expensive, but its worth it to avoid problems with cheap non-brand PSUs.

Oh, and the CPU cooler you picked won't fit an i7 board.

Rest is good.

Technically the PC thread in offtopic is the place to post this stuff, but this thread has pretty much taken over that one as the place to discuss what hardware to buy.

My brothers uses the Core i7-940, 2.93 GHz for AutoCad and occasional gaming [moron :p], and it`s really a destroyer, but a nice headspin after a year when an upgrade is required, or even possible, if U wanna stick to the latest games.

And I am a little bit old school, Intel+Nvidia, AMD+Ati, so I would go for the GTX 275, maybe higher, but that`s me, and besides I lowe mobile systems :D

what does that video memory setting do exactly?

Optimizes the game to the size of your video memory. I'd imagine it allows the game to better decide how to handle textures.

Hi again, I've looked at the benchmarks for graphics cards and I was thinking of getting a EVGA GeForce GTS 250 1GB. On the benchmarks, it does seem to fair well i guess. ALOT better than my card i have now (8600gt). I'm not willing to get a real expensive GTX 260 or 275 etc, so a GTS 250 seems a great replacement. So would this card be a good replacement do you think?

Specs right now

Windows xp

Intel pentium D CPU 3.40ghz

1gb of ram

Nvidia Geforce 8600gt 256mb

Upgrading to

Windows Xp

Intel pentium D CPU 3.40ghz

2GB of Ram

Nvidia GTS 250 1GB

Thanks for the help :]

Edited by Stealth2555

Hey guys, you think this laptop (MSI GT725-212US) will run it at 1650 res with no AA and maybe minimum AF at high-very high? It's got:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9000 (2.00GHz)

4GB DDR2 RAM

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4850 w/512MB DDR3 VRAM

Windows Vista 32bit (probably gonna up this to 64 to make use of the 4GB)

Thanks for the help.

Definetly at high, since mine does on 1920x1200.

... should go even higher due to CPU.

... don`t forget latest DirectX [on DVD] + manuf.drivers!

That rig will destroy arma 2.

what do you mean exactly? Are you saying that in a good way?

Bravo:

Have you considered a Phenom II CPU? It's pretty much as fast as the Core i7 for ArmA, (see benchmarks) and is cheaper. That said, if you want performance at all costs, Core i7 may be the way to go. (Don't expect to be able to upgrade it in the future though, as LGA1366 motherboards are going to be restricted to workstation chips).

I once thought about the Phenom II option but then i believed it wouldn't be enough to what i wished for. I want something better.

If this new PC handles ArmA2 for long period of time say.. forever, for me its enough then ;)

One thing that you should definitely change is the PSU, which looks pretty crappy. I'd get one of these. It's more expensive, but its worth it to avoid problems with cheap non-brand PSUs.

Oh, and the CPU cooler you picked won't fit an i7 board.

Rest is good.

Thanks for notifying me about the cooler and the Power Supply.

I thought for that specific video card the "XFX Ati HD4890 Black Edition 1024MB DDR5 PCI-E" would need an 750W PSU. I will look better into another PSU option. Edit: maybe this one (CORSAIR TX-850W).

maybe for the cooler i choose this one (THERMALRIGHT ULTRA-120 EXTREME RETAIL (775 / 1366))

Technically the PC thread in offtopic is the place to post this stuff, but this thread has pretty much taken over that one as the place to discuss what hardware to buy.

ups.. these subject looks very out handed and since its for ArmA2 purposes maybe mods are using some moderation. If not.. im fecked.

Edited by bravo 6

what do you mean exactly? Are you saying that in a good way?

Yes. You will run Arma 2 like a dream with an i7 and a 4890.

Hey,

A friend of mine said that my CPU is bottlenecking my video card in arma 2

I'm no computer expert so anyone mind telling me if that is true?

It seems to run it ok, so i was not planning on upgrading ... but if it is holding the rest of my pc back, i would consider it.

AMD 4200+ dual core @ 2.2ghz

8800GT 512mb

2GB Win XP home

Cheers

Edited by Flock

Hello was wondering what OS people recommend to run the game. I've heard good things about both windows xp x64 and windows 7 x64. Right now I'm on win7 x64, but I've read on these forums that the xp version gives a lot better performance. Can anyone confirm this?

Here's my info:

Dual core e8500 @ 3.16 (will i see a big difference in performance if i were to overclock this?)

4870 1gb

4gb of ram

Win 7 x64

Also. What about the "-maxmem=2047" command? can I use this or should the game automatically configure this for me since i only have 4gb of ram. thanks

Edited by Easun

Hello was wondering what OS people recommend to run the game. I've heard good things about both windows xp x64 and windows 7 x64. Right now I'm on win7 x64, but I've read on these forums that the xp version gives a lot better performance. Can anyone confirm this?

Here's my info:

Dual core e8500 @ 3.16 (will i see a big difference in performance if i were to overclock this?)

4870 1gb

4gb of ram

Win 7 x64

Also. What about the "-maxmem=2047" command? can I use this or should the game automatically configure this for me since i only have 4gb of ram. thanks

windows 7 x64 is somewhat better

Is the HD 4890 still the theoretical top card after the patch?

Yes. You will run Arma 2 like a dream with an i7 and a 4890.

how does ARMA2 run on your system? i'm curious because i believe i'm being held back by my Q6600. i now have it OC'd to 3.2Ghz and i've tested both a 4870 512MB and a GTX285 1GB. both average 30fps, 1680x1050, normal settings, Vista 64bit.

you dont need an AWESOME TOTALLY BAD ASS MOTHER FECKIN SYSTEM to run this game, my PC specs are as follows, AMD 64 Athlon x2 3800+ Dual Core 2.0GHz 2 Gig of ram, MSI ATI RADEON HD 4850 512MB, 585watt power supply, and this is the kind of performance i play at with very little to NO lag at all.

gamesettings.jpg

Gamesettings2.jpg

blackshark2.jpg

mi24.jpg

Edited by Shinobi575

With 10fps?:D

I have phenom 2 x4 920@3612Mhz

4GB ram

GTX 260@775/1700/2450

and i have 25avg fps in campaign.

1280x1024 all high 100filter, distance 3km.

Thanks for notifying me about the cooler and the Power Supply.

I thought for that specific video card the "XFX Ati HD4890 Black Edition 1024MB DDR5 PCI-E" would need an 750W PSU. I will look better into another PSU option. Edit: maybe this one (CORSAIR TX-850W).

are u sure that 750W is min for this 4890, im gonna buy 4890 Vapor-x Toxic (40Hz slower gpu/ 50Mhz fastere mems and noiseless cooler, BE is very loud.) and i have 620W Psu.

Alrite everyone, I am thinking of getting Arma 2 today as I really want this game and cant really be bothered to wait for the demo to see if I can run it. So I was wondering could my computer run the game on low/medium graphics without shadows or AA etc?

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+, 65nm chip

3GB of 800Mhz Gaming Ram

Window 7 RC fully updated

Nvidia 8600GT XXX edition graphics card with newest drivers

SATA Hard Drive and DVD Rom

500W PSU

I can play Crysis on medium settings if that helps set a benchmark.

Any help would be great. Cheers Tom

are u sure that 750W is min for this 4890, im gonna buy 4890 Vapor-x Toxic (40Hz slower gpu/ 50Mhz fastere mems and noiseless cooler, BE is very loud.) and i have 620W Psu.

well i really don't know because im not into this subject anymore, but i now believe a more PSU would needed. Im using the following comparisons.

For example:

CORSAIR TX-850W into these settings

You should be fine. The 4890 uses LESS power than the 4870. It is a more efficient design.

You should be fine. The 4890 uses LESS power than the 4870. It is a more efficient design.

According to a test with >40 GFX cards (not all 4890/4870s of course) that's not true, at least not under game load. The 4870 requires ~65W on Desktop and ~135-150W under game load, the 4890 60W/150-160W. And that is measured directly at the card, not deduced from the total system power.

The test is in the current german PC Games Hardware, but the test results are not available online...

The desktop power consumption is pretty high because the memory is still running at full speed (for all of these cards!). The GTX285 are at about 30W/160W, the GTX275 at 30W/150W.

Another issue with the 4890s is that the AMD/ATI reference design fans are pretty noisy under heavy load. And so far there seem to be few custom designs that fix this...

Edited by WhoCares