Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

4890 vapor-x has a very good and quite cooler on it. Go for it and dont forget to put feedback because I might buy it too.

According to a test with >40 GFX cards (not all 4890/4870s of course) that's not true, at least not under game load. The 4870 requires ~65W on Desktop and ~135-150W under game load, the 4890 60W/150-160W. And that is measured directly at the card, not deduced from the total system power.

The test is in the current german PC Games Hardware, but the test results are not available online...

The desktop power consumption is pretty high because the memory is still running at full speed (for all of these cards!). The GTX285 are at about 30W/160W, the GTX275 at 30W/150W.

Another issue with the 4890s is that the AMD/ATI reference design fans are pretty noisy under heavy load. And so far there seem to be few custom designs that fix this...

So can you please share with us your opinion on whats a good option for a Power Supply for the "XFX Ati HD4890 Black Edition 1024MB DDR5 PCI-E"?

I am actually not that big of an expert for PSUs, but as I am currently also in the process of assembling a new PC, among others also considering an i7 configuration, this is the one I am currently considering

Antec TruePower New Series TP-750 Blue (click on the red "Mehr Details" button for detailed information)

Important is the combined 12V current, here 62A.

I'd expect it to be also sufficient to supply an SLi/Crossfire configuration (even though in my case that is just a future upgrade option, I do not plan to go SLi/XFire now). Here a shot of my current setup, but I also play with other setups, e.g. Core 2 Q9550 or Phenom II X4 955. Add to that an XFi, HDD, and DVD drive carried over from my current PC and a new monitor, 22" 1680x1050 or 24" 1900x1200.

I am actually also still undecided with respect to the GFX, 285 (price :(), 4890 (noise :(), 4870 or 275.

Regarding your configuration, with the i7 you might also consider a 3x2048MB triple-channel RAM.

Edited by WhoCares

So can you please share with us your opinion on whats a good option for a Power Supply for the "XFX Ati HD4890 Black Edition 1024MB DDR5 PCI-E"?

Corsair HX620.

BTW - Good call with that Thermalright cooler, they're the best i7 coolers around.

Edited by echo1

Corsair HX620.

BTW - Good call with that Thermalright cooler, they're the best i7 coolers around.

Does the "CORSAIR HX-620W" Power Supply also applies to the "SAPPHIRE HD4890 VAPOR-X 1GB DDR5 PCI-E"?

Even if in the future add 2 x SAPPHIRE HD4890 VAPOR-X 1GB DDR5 PCI-E? (sorry if the question is dumb, but I m no expert )

edit:

Regarding your configuration, with the i7 you might also consider a 3x2048MB triple-channel RAM.

Why, you think 2 x 2048MB is not enough? :|

Edited by bravo 6

Bravo:

Due to the way the i7 deals with RAM, it is best to install RAM in threes. I'd go for 3x2GB to give 6GB.

The PSU is more than enough for one card. I am not entirely sure off the top of my head whether it's good enough for two, but having two graphics cards isnt really a good idea as most games (ArmA/ArmA II included) have problems with Crossfire setups. You're just better off with the one card, and replace that with a single card whenever that becomes obsolete.

how would this run arma 2 thank you in advance for any reply's

# Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 processor

# (2.13GHz, 800 MHz, 2MB)

# Genuine Windows Vista ® Home Premium

# 3GB memory

# 250 GB hard drive

* Nvidia GeForce 9600M graphics

* DVD-RW

* Finger Print reader

* HDMI and VGA ports

the finger print reader will make all the difference in how your game is gonna play :)

haha i just copied and pasted from site hahaha but finger print ready is essential :)but from what ive put could it play arma 2 ?

It should be able to run it, but don't expect to max out on the settings.

And I agree with pufu, if it weren't for that fingerprint reader, you'd be completely and utterly fucked :whistle:

haha i just copied and pasted from site hahaha but finger print ready is essential :)but from what ive put could it play arma 2 ?

Its a laptop. So dont count on it

well as a desktop option how would this on go?

# Choice of Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 OR Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 CPU

# Asrock G31M-S Motherboard

# 1GB ATI Radeon HD 4650 PCI Express Graphics Card

# 4GB (2 X 2GB) Kingston OR Corsair PC6400 800Mhz DDR2 Ram

# 250GB 7200rpm SATA II Hard Drive

# 22x Dual Layer DVD +/- Rewriter

# Integrated 5.1 Channel Audio

# Onboard 10/100 Ethernet - Broadband Ready

# 2 Front and 4 Back USB Ports

# Choice of 19" Hyundai H95W Widescreen OR 19" I-INC iC194 Standard Aspect VGA/DVI, 5ms TFT

# Choice of Windows Vista Home Basic OR Windows XP Home

# Standard Multimedia Keyboard & Optical Mouse

Bravo:

Due to the way the i7 deals with RAM, it is best to install RAM in threes. I'd go for 3x2GB to give 6GB.

could also go with 3X1GB as you will see no improvents in any game out there no matter how much ram you stick in. Unless of coarse your one of those people who has many apps running while playing games.

well as a desktop option how would this on go?

# Choice of Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 OR Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 CPU

# Asrock G31M-S Motherboard

# 1GB ATI Radeon HD 4650 PCI Express Graphics Card

# 4GB (2 X 2GB) Kingston OR Corsair PC6400 800Mhz DDR2 Ram

# 250GB 7200rpm SATA II Hard Drive

# 22x Dual Layer DVD +/- Rewriter

# Integrated 5.1 Channel Audio

# Onboard 10/100 Ethernet - Broadband Ready

# 2 Front and 4 Back USB Ports

# Choice of 19" Hyundai H95W Widescreen OR 19" I-INC iC194 Standard Aspect VGA/DVI, 5ms TFT

# Choice of Windows Vista Home Basic OR Windows XP Home

# Standard Multimedia Keyboard & Optical Mouse

That thing would probably be slower than your laptop. To make it worth your while, you'd want something with a HD4890 graphics card and a Q9650/Core i7 920/Phenom II X4 955.

could also go with 3X1GB as you will see no improvents in any game out there no matter how much ram you stick in. Unless of coarse your one of those people who has many apps running while playing games.

Not true at all.

I have 4 gigs of ram in my rig, and the rig I built for my friend has 8. When we play multiplayer, his game loads around 20-30 seconds faster than mine in Empire Total War. Before they optimized it, I ran the demo side by side on both rigs. His game loaded a battle a full 2 minutes faster than mine at 4gb.

You most definitely see an improvement all the way up to 6-8 gigs.

Read a massive article on Toms hardware i think? Anyway will post if i find it again.

They took all the latest hungriest games, and tested them on i7's with 3, 6, and 12 GBs of ram.

Not a single frame was gained by having more ram(with only the game running).

As for load times they didnt say owt about it.

But if its load times your after the SSD's are the way not more ram :)

could anyone send me a link to a site that i could get either a good laptop or desktop pc tht will play arma 2 with ease im looking at spending 600 , 700 max

how bout this rig ? should be playable at medium/high setting i beleave ?

C2D e6600 @ 3.5 ghz

4gigs ocz reaper hp 1066

evga gtx 260 core 216 supersuperclocked 675/1450/1150 (896 mb version)

win xp 32 bit

1280x1024 samsung 940bf

seasonic m12 700w psu

any ideas on this stetup plz.?

how would this work???? i need a gd pc how hard is it hahaha

Intel® Pentium® Mobile T2390 (1.86GHz) 533MHz FSB/1MB Cache

Memory (RAM)

1GB CORSAIR DDR2 667MHz SODIMM -

Graphics Card

256MB (SMA) Nvidia GeForce® 8200 Graphics + D-SUB

Memory (RAM)

Graphics Card

In wont. Lol.

Save up, buy a new PC. :p

Memory (RAM)

Graphics Card

Again, slower than the laptop you linked on the last page. What country are you in?

edit: Placebo: should have i used the Hardware and settings for ArmA thread to post this? :\

The OT thread is for general questions and/or general PC troubleshooting, anything PC + ArmA2 related in terms of discussing spec, or what to buy to run ArmA2 best belongs in here :)

I am thinking about which Graphics card should i pick from these to play arma2. XFX HD4890 or XFX GTX285(this is much more expensive) And i will consider buying another HD4890 for crossfire after i bought my new components.

The graphics card will come with Asus p6t motherboard and intel core i7 920, and could you tell will my DDR2 800mhz ram work with p6t mobo?

THanks for answers!

HD4890 is a better choice. And I wouldnt bother with crossfire, too many problems.

And DDR2 will definitely not work in your new motherboard, Core i7s are DDR3 only.