Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

Hello there,

I don't know if this is OT but as a poor (cashwise) Arma player, what is the best Spec machine to play Arma2 at Full quality for the cheapest price?

It's all too easy to pick the latest and best tech and equipment, and therefore usually the most expensive, but for an Arma only rig, how little can i get away with spending and achieve great quality visuals etc?

I believe a home built rig will save approx 10pc of cost, but can you recommend great PC parts that are also cheap as chips?

Im talking PC's only, no xboxes etc.

An odd question I know, but perhaps an idea worth investigating?

Rgds

LoK

£500 will buy you an awsome box (no monitor), with a great level of performance as long as you are prepared to build it.

You would pay around £1200 instore, you will play all (99%) games @ 1920x1200 easily.

www.ebuyer.com if you're in the UK are the cheapest & the most reliable.

Use my sig below as an example for parts.

Edited by Razorman

It depends on your budget. But if assuming I had a reasonably good budget, I'd go -

CPU: Phenom II X4 955.

Mobo: One of the Gigabyte AM3 boards, the UD5 model is meant to be very good, but I'm sure the cheapers one would probably do the job just as well.

RAM: 4GB DDR3 (OCZ brand is pretty cheap, but also high quality)

Graphics Card: 1GB Radeon HD4890

PSU: Corsair 550W

Hard Drive: Samsung F1 1TB

Case: Antec or Lian-Li make the best cases.

CD/DVD Drive: They're all the same, pick your poison.

They may not be the cheapest parts, but they're definitely the best value for money. If you really need to chop down on price, you could get the triple-core Phenom II X3 720, or get the 750GB version of the Samsung hard drive. Whilst there are cheaper motherboards that support the Phenom IIs and the slightly cheaper DDR2 RAM, there's no 100% guarantee that they'll work properly, so you're better off spending a bit more there.

Which country do you live in?

The problem is that your graphics card is below the minimum spec, so it's probably going to be far too slow, even for minimum settings.

Hello all

I was talking UK, but hey, join in from other countries, I cant be the only penniless player out there.

Ideally, I'm talking Rock bottom prices and to build at home. So bare minimum outlay for the best machine, purely for Arma2 and only secondly for anything else.

A wierd specification I know.

I also understand that spending a few more quid will allow one to have a better mobo etc, but Im really after the cheapest of the cheap no frills, not future proof over more than a 6 month period for eg.

Am I being too picky? Can it be done for under 300UK pounds? (no monitor/peripherals etc)

rgds

LoK

Sorry to say i don't think it can be done, an interesting challenge tho :)

what settings would I be able to run with these specs?

Windows 7 RC 64-bit

EVGA GTX 260 Core 216

4GB PC2 6400 RAM

AMD Phenom II X3 720 @ 3.2ghz

@ 1440x900 res

thanks in advance

Am I being too picky? Can it be done for under 300UK pounds? (no monitor/peripherals etc)

rgds

LoK

£300 is a very tight budget for a completely new machine. What's your current PC like? Maybe a selective upgrade would be a better idea.

Windows 7 RC 64-bit

EVGA GTX 260 Core 216

4GB PC2 6400 RAM

AMD Phenom II X3 720 @ 3.2ghz

It will run it fine. Don't know exact settings as I have yet to try it myself.

www.ebuyer.com if you're in the UK are the cheapest & the most reliable.

ebuyer WAS my shop from years. Now scan.co.uk is. Check the prices m8, you'll find h/w a lot cheaper there.

If it's current hardware, there should be 64 drivers for it, at least for Vista (which should be able to work with Windows 7). I hate to sound like I'm making bad excuses like some kind of M$ fanboy (I'm quite the opposite), but if Belkin isn't making 64 bit drivers, that's their fault really. I don't really have much time for Belkin after it took me about two months to get a fix for a dodgy router of theirs I got...

Out of curiosity, is the adaptor an Ethernet to USB, or USB to Ethernet? If it's the former, it couldn't actually handle a 1Gbps connection. Hope they don't tell people otherwise :whistle:

Err I's confused with the question, it's this: http://www.belkin.com/support/product/?lid=en&pid=F5D5055&scid=1 STD1_F5D5055.jpg

Belkin are a pile of shite, I used theyre stuff a long time ago and had nothing but issues with drivers, will never and have never touched another belkin product again. Ive had my netgear DG834T for ages and the thing is 10 fold better than any belkin shite ive ever seen lol..

Shockingly bad items for shockingly high prices... Stay clear is my view.

I temporarily had to use XP 32 for some stuff recently, so finally got the chance to try it out, and it was much faster than my ethernet connection, I was getting something like 54mbit/11Mbit out of my cable internet whereas with my standard PCI Ethernet card I was getting 47Mbit/10Mbit.

I wanted a USB Ethernet adaptor as my Ati 4870 leaves only 1 PCI slot accessible, which I'd prefer to use for my PCI sata card......

But anyways that's all off topic sorry :(

ebuyer WAS my shop from years. Now scan.co.uk is. Check the prices m8, you'll find h/w a lot cheaper there.

Thanks!

I use Dabs. I'm not sure how they stack up against Scan, but they're quite good nonetheless. I also use Komplett, but they shut down their UK branch a few years back.

Hi all,

It may have been covered already, but I was wondering if my CPU, a 6300 OC'd to 2.1ghz is going to cut it for Arma 2? Minimum specs said "Core 2 2.0ghz or better" but I was hoping I could squeak by with my 9800gt etc..

Am I screwed?

Nope. Don't expect it to do anything fancy, but it will run fine at low end settings.

Thanks CH, guess it's time to upgrade but I am glad to hear I can at least play it.

Thanks CH, guess it's time to upgrade but I am glad to hear I can at least play it.

I run eveything on normal and PP very high with average 20 fps in campaign and MP. Editor and armory runs at 30-40 fps. Specs below. Similar than yours.

Staying off topic but taking lead from a mod.

USB VS Ethernet for speed is a non issue, both offer similar performance.

Ethernet is generally more stable but as placebo states, with good drivers USB can perform better. The rule of thumb is normally connection length. Ethernet connections can bridge larger gaps with greater reliability, i see no reason why the adaptor shown above could not perform well/better than ethernet under a 64bit o/s if driver support was up to date.

Ontopic, erm i cant rmember what the topic is but...you know...hey ho!

Can anyone give some feed back on the Best video cards for ArmA2 please?

ASUS GTX 285 / HTDP 1GB DDR3 PCI-E ( +- 330,80 € near my home)

ASUS H4870 X2 / HTDI 2GB DDR5 PCI-E ( +- 442,80 € near my home)

are there other and better options in order to have better results to make this game even more beautiful?

Edited by bravo 6

I'd say that the best card for Arma right now would be the Radeon HD4890 1gb or the Geforce GTX 285 1gb (depending on wichone is the cheapest).

The Radeon HD4870x2 and Geforce gtx 295 truly are the most powerful video card on the market atm I think but according to what I read on these forums, Arma 2 do not fully support crossfire or SLI and these card have two gpu instead of one for any other video card right now wich make them like mini-SLI/Crossfire I believe.

Google and video cards benchmark are your friend :)

Edited by Skodz

so are you telling me that the,

HD4890 1GB is a better option for ArmA2 then the H4870 X2 2GB DDR5 ?

lol BS

Owen can run the game fine on medium

Haha thanks, Forgot to also mention I'm upgrading my CPU to a Phenom II 955.

So, Hopefully that will boost my FPS.

so are you telling me that the,

HD4890 1GB is a better option for ArmA2 then the H4870 X2 2GB DDR5 ?

Yes. But only for arma 2 or games that don't take advantage of dual cards.

hello all

going a few posts back...

My machine plays arma2 mp ok, providing grass is off and with the noblur mod

rough specs are (dont laugh)

Dell e520 (duocore running at i think 2.6ghz or 2.4ghz)

A 9500gt 1gig nvidia graphics card (some cheapo brand, but suprisingly good for the price 40 quid or so and no extra power needed)

3gig Ram (1gb shipped and 2gb Crucial Ram (again nice and cheap) Made a nice althoug not a massive difference.

Audigy 1 platinum (I set fire to my audigy 2 Platinum, dont ask)

500gb segate sata 2 thingy hdd (assume running at sata 1 speed)

XP Home/win 7 (running A2 under XP)

550 Power Supply (not great I know)

I think thats it.

Im guessing my bottlenecks are the CPU and the cheap Hdd.

I believe there is an upgrade available for the CPU, but im so out of touch I'm not sure what I can upgrade to. Tried looking but got confused and bewildered with all that new fangled tech talk.

Yes, I know that the cheap cheap PC spec was a bit of a shot in the dark, but I thought some of you tech chaps/chapesses may know the way forward.

Realistically, I am coming into about 400 UK pounds and would like to either upgrade or get a new rig, again no monitor or peripherals needed. (got a 19" (monitor that is) and hotas etc etc)

I was really throwing out a challenge to see if it could be done on a shoestring, but it looks like my strings are perhaps a bit unrealistic.

rgds

(very drunk and tired at 6am on a fri/sat)

lOk