Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

for arma 2

how about this?

Gamers Pentium Core 2 Duo 9400GT Series (Intel Dual Core E5200 2.5GHZ 800FSB 1MB Retail, 1GB Kingston DDR2 667, 80GB SATA Hard Drive, , , , 512mb 9400GT PCI Express Nvidia DDR DVI, C2D - MSI P6NGM-L - 1066FSB DDR2 667x2 Nvidia chipset - intergrated, DVD+/- RW - 18X Samsung Lightscribe, No Floppy Disk Drive, Hanton 19 Inch Wide H-341WDB LCD TFT Monitor with DVI, Keyboard & Mouse Set Black and Silver, Integrated Sound Card, Trust 2.0 SP-2200 Speaker Set, , 64 BIT Windows Vista Home Premiem

So i need DDR3 thanks for info, is gtx285 much better than hd4890?

Not much, according to benchmarks. The HD4890 is probably better value for your money.

for arma 2

how about this?

Gamers Pentium Core 2 Duo 9400GT Series (Intel Dual Core E5200 2.5GHZ 800FSB 1MB Retail, 1GB Kingston DDR2 667, 80GB SATA Hard Drive, , , , 512mb 9400GT PCI Express Nvidia DDR DVI, C2D - MSI P6NGM-L - 1066FSB DDR2 667x2 Nvidia chipset - intergrated, DVD+/- RW - 18X Samsung Lightscribe, No Floppy Disk Drive, Hanton 19 Inch Wide H-341WDB LCD TFT Monitor with DVI, Keyboard & Mouse Set Black and Silver, Integrated Sound Card, Trust 2.0 SP-2200 Speaker Set, , 64 BIT Windows Vista Home Premiem

Nope, Graphics card is far too weak. What country do you live in? Might be able to point you in the direction of a maker of good PCs

I am a Arma fan, but on a tight budget, wonder if any vets can help.

I am using a C2D oc to 3.2ghz and 8800GT 512mb. Would Arma 2 be playable on med settings at 1028x768 i.e. lowest resolution?

If I need to upgrade, should I go for a E8400 which can oc to 4.4Ghz or a Q6700 which can oc to 3.6Ghz?

Is this game more CPU or GPU demanding? Would the 8800GT be sufficent? If not, why r most ppl recommending HD 4890 over the 4870 when the former is suppose to be only 15% faster than the latter?

Sorry, loads of nooby questions. Hope someone can help as I can't really afford any major upgrades.

So i need DDR3 thanks for info, is gtx285 much better than hd4890?

In ArmA2 the HD4890 seems (currently) to be slightly ahead of the GTX285, as already shown in this benchmark: PCGHw ArmA2 GPU benchmark

With other games it is often the other way around, e.g. as shown in the benchmarks on this card GeForce GTX 275 1792MB (see the benchmarks on the following pages for different games)

It also shows that more than 1GB VRAM has no benefit except for highest resolutions (2560x1600, which this card can't handle...).

Nope, Graphics card is far too weak. What country do you live in? Might be able to point you in the direction of a maker of good PCs

i live in the united kingdom, yes any help would be brilliant thank you

I am a Arma fan, but on a tight budget, wonder if any vets can help.

I am using a C2D oc to 3.2ghz and 8800GT 512mb. Would Arma 2 be playable on med settings at 1028x768 i.e. lowest resolution?

I think your current PC should be able to deal with it on low settings (possibly even some on medium).

why r most ppl recommending HD 4890 over the 4870 when the former is suppose to be only 15% faster than the latter?

The price difference between the two is pretty negligible, so it makes sense to go for the fastest.

Low setting wouldn't be playable surely? You can't see the enemy properly.

I am working on the assumption that you need at least medium to enjoy the game if you are not a graphics whore.

If I can only afford to upgrade one or the other, would it be better to go for CPU or new GPU for the greatest gain?

Well, you asked whether it would run on low settings, and that it definitely will. It will probably run alright with medium settings. Hard to know until you actually get the thing. I'd buy the game, and if you have peformance problems, then I'd consider a new graphics card. But as I say, you may not have to do that.

Hi there i was just wondering if my system would be able to handle this game. My specs are a Q8200 OC'ed to 2.9 (will be going higher soon just need new ram) ATI 4870, 4GB DDR2 800. Im just wondering if this set up would have problems running Arma 2. If I need to OC my CPU higher plz tell me what speed i should get it to so it will be ok.

You shouldn't have any problems running it.

what about this for a little more money?

# Choice of Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 OR Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 CPU

# Asrock G31M-S Motherboard

# 1GB ATI Radeon HD 4650 PCI Express Graphics Card

# 4GB (2 X 2GB) Kingston OR Corsair PC6400 800Mhz DDR2 Ram

# 250GB 7200rpm SATA II Hard Drive

sorry not a ati radeon hd 4650 it is a ati radeon hd4890

Edited by ptewatson30059785

Hey everyone,

I posted just the other day, because I am looking to build a PC for this game and many others coming or already out.

I just got have a question about graphic cards. My cousin told me yesterday the nvidia cards are way better than ATi cards. Now he just bought this card http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=021233&cid=999.243.390 and I am sure he may be a bit biased since he just got it, but I would really like to know are there cards equal to or greater than this for a better price? and which is the preferred card Ati or nvidia?

Thanks guys, and sorry if I might be off this topic but so far the help i have gotten on this forum has been great help.

Depends on a card. Nvidia and ATi have their own good and bad cards.

---------- Post added at 04:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:36 PM ----------

When I get the core i7 920 is it more powerfull than regular intel Q series or do i need to overclock it so it will become better than because it is only 2.66mhz per core. I am new at these things. Thanks

i have a question im hoping some one will be able to answer for me.

im planning on Updating my Graphics to handle Arma 2 a lot better.

now the recommended specs are a Nvida Ge Force 8800 GT

But Finding one that isn't out of stock or doesn't cost way too much is impossible. so im thinking a Nvidia Geforce 9600 Gt 512 MB But every were i have looked to compare the 2 cards it says that the 8800 floors the 9600 every time.

im wondering are any of you lads or ladys running Arma 2 on a 9600 and is it worth shelling out for this card.

_Dan;1320510']i have a question im hoping some one will be able to answer for me.

But Finding one that isn't out of stock or doesn't cost way too much is impossible. so im thinking a Nvidia Geforce 9600 Gt 512 MB But every were i have looked to compare the 2 cards it says that the 8800 floors the 9600 every time.

im wondering are any of you lads or ladys running Arma 2 on a 9600 and is it worth shelling out for this card.

Do not upgrade to a 9600 GT. It is worse then the 800gt by alot.

Get an Ati 4850. Beats both cards by a large amount.

$75.00

Nvidia does have the strongest card out but i wouldnt recommend these reasons.

Price/performance, and High PSU is requierd

This GPU is only for those people who have cash they can just throw away.

When it comes to ATI cards they have a way better performance to price ratio.

truly i say if ur willing to spend that much money then go with this

http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=021560&cid=999.243.272

or if u still want a good one that wont leave ur wallet on empty then get one of these

http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=022590&cid=999.243.272

http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=021770&cid=999.243.272

http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=021768&cid=999.243.272

http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=021369&cid=999.243.272

All of these give u perfect performance to price ratio and will run any game out there.

If u were asking me go with the ATI 4890 and crossfire it. Its stronger then a single GTX 295 and about the same price and dosnt need super PSU to run it.

---------- Post added at 10:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 AM ----------

_Dan;1320510']i have a question im hoping some one will be able to answer for me.

what is ur price range and ur PSU wattage?

i dont understand is GEFORCE 9400GT 1 GIG GRAPHICS CARD (1024MB) betterthan the ati radeon hd 4890 and if i wanted to go with nvidia would the game play and look gd thanks and im a bit of a pc not know it all as you can tell hahaha

i dont understand is GEFORCE 9400GT 1 GIG GRAPHICS CARD (1024MB) betterthan the ati radeon hd 4890 and if i wanted to go with nvidia would the game play and look gd thanks and im a bit of a pc not know it all as you can tell hahaha

Not even close. the 4890 is one of ATI's strongest cards crossfire two of them and they are better then a GTX 295.

Thanks Kdawgmaster,

I'm putting a whole new rig together for roughly $1500 I would like to spend less if I can but I also want to have a pc that plays everything on max settings if possible! (still have working monitor and 5.1 speakers so I don't need to buy any of that)

I new to building pc's so I'm still learning what goes with what and whats better than what.

If you wouldn't mind I could post parts I have looked at and you can tell me whats too much or whatever!

Thanks again!

what about getting 2 of he nvidia cards

---------- Post added at 05:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:04 PM ----------

or could i upgrade my radeon graphics card on my laptop i have a Graphics Chipset ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics

alot of pages to read here, so if my q has been asked before, sorry.

i will make an small upgrade om my rig, arma 2 is braking it down :)

my spec are

C2D E8400 @ 3,6

Gigabyte 4870 1GB

4GB RAM

-----------------------

question is, where do i gain the most, 1 more GPU or buying a quad core (Q9650) a secong GPU i half the cost, but what do u guys thin kis the smartest to do ?

dont mention I7 cause im not gonna change MB.

Has anyone tested the effect CPU has on game performance? I have an E6600 and the game doesn't run well even though I have a good video card (GTX 260 core 216). It runs well in the editor but in the campaign, big missions, etc. I get very low FPS. So I wonder if I need to upgrade my CPU for this game...