Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

I Read on a website saying that the Acer F690GVM motherboard that i currently have can't upgrade to a Phonom II Quad core let alone a 6 Core it says something about cache or something it's too complicated for my tiny brain :(

Does this happens every where? If so you might want to edit your sceneComplexity (in your username.profile).

Ok after your helpful pointer I did some searching on this forum and google and tweaked the SC. It now stands at 200000. (default being 500000) I've also defaulted the file to read only so that value remains.

I'm still getting the ' lag ' in detail and shadow generation though. I frapsed about 20 seconds worth of moving through grass / trees / compounds to highlight this and will post tonight all being well. The odd thing was I was still getting upper 40's low 50's FPS the whole time...

In the mean time any other ideas as to what it might be?

cheers

Sarp

Why are you getting 6 GB ram and a 260? 4 GB is enough and the phenoms aren't triple channel. The 260 is a last generation card, get a 460, it's just as expensive and faster.

and the processor is a phenom II right?

Well the 260 was all I have laying around, the package I am thinking about getting has the lowest of 6gb ram available, and I don't have the cash to buy a 460. And because I'm no expert with computers. :)

Here is the model I am thinking about getting:

click here

I Read on a website saying that the Acer F690GVM motherboard that i currently have can't upgrade to a Phonom II Quad core let alone a 6 Core it says something about cache or something it's too complicated for my tiny brain :(

If it's an acer pc then you're probably going to need a new motherboard. A new cpu type needs a bios upgrade and acer just doesn't do that.

So right now I have:

2.8ghz Quad Core Intel Xeon

8GBs 800mhz RAM

160GB Intel X25-M G2 SSD

EVGA GTX 285

I'm thinking of getting an ATI Radeon HD 5870.

Worth it? Thoughts?

So right now I have:

2.8ghz Quad Core Intel Xeon

8GBs 800mhz RAM

160GB Intel X25-M G2 SSD

EVGA GTX 285

I'm thinking of getting an ATI Radeon HD 5870.

Worth it? Thoughts?

If your getting a new gpu for just arma 2 then id say stick with the gtx 285 wou wont see but maybe 3-5 fps difference i would think.I ran the armamark and only gained 1 fps from a gtx 465 to a gtx 470 but if you want directx 11 compatibilty id spend a few more bucks and get the gtx 480 they annihalate the 5870 in dx 11 games

I am building a system for Arma II. What GPU would you recommend me?

[1] Radeon HD 5870 (http://geizhals.at/deutschland/a465649.html)

or

[2] GeForce GTX 470 (http://geizhals.at/deutschland/a557580.html)

[1] and [2] have the same price.

Why go for something that expensive when ARMA 2 will run fine on a GeForce GTX 460? I just got Galaxy's version (best one according to GPUreview) from Newegg today... And I can run ARMA2 at 200% (2400 x 3900), Very high on shadows, texture, terrain, and object, as well as high post process effects, and medium anisotropic texturing with an average 30-40FPS. Havent been to Chernogorsk though yet...

This was all play tested on the community campaign "Dogs of War" with the mission "Village Sweep".

Why go for something that expensive when ARMA 2 will run fine on a GeForce GTX 460? I just got Galaxy's version (best one according to GPUreview) from Newegg today... And I can run ARMA2 at 200% (2400 x 3900), Very high on shadows, texture, terrain, and object, as well as high post process effects, and medium anisotropic texturing with an average 30-40FPS. Havent been to Chernogorsk though yet...

This was all play tested on the community campaign "Dogs of War" with the mission "Village Sweep".

gtx465 wouldnt be a bad decision either.clock for clock the 465 is faster and the same price now.if hes talkin leaving it at stock id go 460 but if he is someone who overclocks then the gtx 465 is a better choice i got one of mine running benchmarks and keeping with my stock 470.only reason the gtx 460 is better is because of higher clocks out of the box overclock and its an entirely different story,not to mention a pny brand gtx 465 has a good chance of being unlocked to a 470,and the msi golden edition twin fozr II has a 100% unlock rate and becomes a 470 with bios flash and its only 259.99 Edited by banenwn

I am building a system for Arma II. What GPU would you recommend me?

[1] Radeon HD 5870 (http://geizhals.at/deutschland/a465649.html)

or

[2] GeForce GTX 470 (http://geizhals.at/deutschland/a557580.html)

[1] and [2] have the same price.

Some pages ago I asked the same question. Now I got my new PC with the 5850 and I'm very happy with it. It's fast and silent ;)

Hi al please advise my current rig is

Q6700

4gb of ram

8800gt

native res is 1680x1050

I have ordered me a 4890 will it be any better?.

I may all so OC me CPU soon to but for now will it be a big improvement to me old 8800gt?.

Thanks

Hi al please advise my current rig is

Q6700

4gb of ram

8800gt

native res is 1680x1050

I have ordered me a 4890 will it be any better?.

I may all so OC me CPU soon to but for now will it be a big improvement to me old 8800gt?.

Thanks

both the new card and the overclock should give a big performance boost. When overclocking the cpu try to get the fsb higher as well, 400x8 might give better performance than 333x10

hey i just wanted to ask a question about antialising. i currently run the game at everything on very high settings but i wanted to know what is better to choose for antialising; very high or 8? please help me out here! thanks

HP 15.6" screen

Processor: AMD Phenom II Quad-Core N930

Speed: 2.0 Ghz

Cores: 4

RAM: 4GB DDR3

HDD: 640GB

Hard Drive Speed: 5400 rpm

Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650

Native Res: 1366 x 768

Video Memory: 1024MB DDR3

Any idea what sort of FPS/tweaks/Graphics Settings/View Distance I'll be having to use with this setup? I've been told I'll be working with low-medium? What about medium-high? Any chance at all?

This is basically the laptop I'm getting, don't think there are any changes I can make to it but upgrading the RAM.

Thanks in advance

I'm looking to buy a PC, mainly because I can't get away with hijacking my roommates anymore :) I've never owned a gaming PC before and the only game I really have any interest in is arma. I'm wondering what some of you experienced PC gamers might recommend in terms of make and model.

*I've got about $1500 to play with. (little bit of flexibility)

*The rig needs to be pretty much ready to go right out of the box (I'm completely helpless;))

*I hoping I can use my VIZIO HD tv as a monitor (any thoughts?)

*I'm hoping to get the best possible visuals (for instance; on my buddies PC a lot of distant objects seem to flicker, and it drives me nuts) Whats the ideal graphics card? can I throw money at that problem and make it go away?

*It would be a plus if the computer kept me warm at night and told me that it loves me, but it's not required

Thanks for any advice

I'm looking to buy a PC, mainly because I can't get away with hijacking my roommates anymore :) I've never owned a gaming PC before and the only game I really have any interest in is arma. I'm wondering what some of you experienced PC gamers might recommend in terms of make and model.

*The rig needs to be pretty much ready to go right out of the box (I'm completely helpless;))

*I'm hoping to get the best possible visuals (for instance; on my buddies PC a lot of distant objects seem to flicker, and it drives me nuts) Whats the ideal graphics card? can I throw money at that problem and make it go away?

*It would be a plus if the computer kept me warm at night and told me that it loves me, but it's not required

Thanks for any advice

your going to overpay for a custom gaming rig nomatter what you buy.google custom built computers you can have them assemble what you want in it.ive built my own pc for 700$ if id had them build it for me it would have costed about 1400$

your going to overpay for a custom gaming rig nomatter what you buy.google custom built computers you can have them assemble what you want in it.ive built my own pc for 700$ if id had them build it for me it would have costed about 1400$

I'm at a point in my life where I can only invest so much time getting "handy" with PC's. I've got a job/family/bills to pay... :eek: I've accepted that I'll pay a premium for a no fuss rig and am willing to do so. (it's taken me months just to learn how to play the game). What I'm hoping to find out is; what are the important PC features to get/upgrade that really make the game shine? Especially when it comes to graphics.

More specifically; what is the best current graphics card for this game? Nivedia? Radeon?

What else does one need hardware wise to run the game maxed out? Processor speed? Ram?

Thanks again

More specifically; what is the best current graphics card for this game? Nivedia? Radeon?

For all the fancy answers you will get, if you go to your vendor and you sort their cards from most expensive to least expensive, and then buy the most expensive card(s) you can afford--that's your answer. Up to around the $1000 range it'll make a difference. Yes I'd expect the game to play better with a pair of ATI 5970's or a pair of Nvidia GTX 480's--but do you really have that much cash to spend on GPU? What do you mean by premium?

The real question is if you have a more limited budget how do you trade more CPU against more GPU and that's trickier. It's probably better to state your budget, the answer will be different at the $1000 level than the $2000 level than the $5000 level.

To me a "premium" rig to play ArmA would be a pair of ATI 5970 with a Core i7 980 Extreme but right there we're talking $2500 at least already and you haven't even bought a case or RAM or MB yet. You can spend a third of that on your entire rig and still get a playable game.

What else does one need hardware wise to run the game maxed out? Processor speed? Ram?

Processor speed. The game is a 32bit application so RAM beyond about 4g isn't going to make any difference unless you start doing some of those fancy RAM drive tricks, which won't make as much of a difference as a faster CPU.

Edited by Polar Bear

Will this rig work well with Arma2?

Intel Core i7 - 860 2.8Ghz

6GB Ram

1GB Nvidia GeForce GTS 240

This is pretty much all I need to know, I originally posted that I wanted to buy an i3 or maybe an i5, but learning of Dells payment options where you can do it per month, i've decided to go for this machine which wouldn't normally be affordable to me.

Edit: The title should be Dell Studio XPS 8100 (not 100)

Edited by AJScott

Will this rig work well with Arma2?

Intel Core i7 - 860 2.8Ghz

6GB Ram

1GB Nvidia GeForce GTS 240

This is pretty much all I need to know, I originally posted that I wanted to buy an i3 or maybe an i5, but learning of Dells payment options where you can do it per month, i've decided to go for this machine which wouldn't normally be affordable to me.

The GTS240 is rather on the weak side. Not sure if it will give you any joy.

Really? I had the assumption it was quite good being 1GB, what graphic settings am I looking at with it?

Really? I had the assumption it was quite good being 1GB, what graphic settings am I looking at with it?

The amount of VRAM unfortunately has no bearing on the actual performance of the card.

I have a 9600GT in my HTPC, which is slightly more powerful than the GTS240, but your comp has a much better CPU (i7 Quad > E5400 Dual), so it's hard to say what settings you can run. The GTS240 will almost certainly be the bottleneck though.

I'm guessing overall normal settings, with some on low for best performance, and some perhaps on high where the GPU bottleneck doesn't have such a big effect. And you may need to run the game in lower than native resolution.

Thanks for any advice

this system will comfortably run arma 2 and all other games. If your hdtv has hdmi (and it will unless it's not really a hdtv) you can use it on any pc that has either a dvi or hdmi out.

---------- Post added at 11:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 AM ----------

gpu hierarchy chart

It depends on resolution, I run on an 8800gtx on 1920x1200 but I have to put postprocessing, anti-aliasing off and use low anisotropic filtering to get decent fps. If I run on 1680x1050 (that's about half the pixels) I get a way higher framerate. The 8800gtx is quite a bit faster then the 240 as you can see. I suggest getting a gtx460 if you're buying a gpu, best price/performance.