Placebo

The all new: Ask a moderator about the forum & rules

i have 2 question about moderations rules:

1) there are some people using often words like f***, wh***, etc.

are those words on f, w are allowed ?

if qestions about some technical issues are not allowed ?

2) what moderation can do if some lies ?

example: someone is saying that colour on addon is wrong, while it is good and real

and person keeps lie or is ignorant and still say it is wrong, while it is good ?

for example on Polish forums we banned some people for "stupidity"

if for example someone asked about something which is not true, but he saw it on movie, he was told 2 times, something is not true and he keeps on going , is this allowed ?

example: man asks about tank not used in army, than about weapon not used, than about helmet/vest not used and still asking such questions and saying somebody addon is wrong, cause has not tank he want, gun he want.. ? cause he saw on movie or in ASG team...

is stupidity punished ?

regards

i have 2 question about moderations rules:

1) there are some people using often words like f***, wh***, etc.

are those words on f, w are allowed ?

if qestions about some technical issues are not allowed ?

No words are banned per se, it's more about the way they're used, flaming/flamebaiting is what's not allowed.

2) what moderation can do if some lies ?

example: someone is saying that colour on addon is wrong, while it is good and real

and person keeps lie or is ignorant and still say it is wrong, while it is good ?

for example on Polish forums we banned some people for "stupidity"

if for example someone asked about something which is not true, but he saw it on movie, he was told 2 times, something is not true and he keeps on going , is this allowed ?

example: man asks about tank not used in army, than about weapon not used, than about helmet/vest not used and still asking such questions and saying somebody addon is wrong, cause has not tank he want, gun he want.. ? cause he saw on movie or in ASG team...

is stupidity punished ?

regards

If someone is trolling a thread about a wrong colour then report it and they'll be dealt with if it really is trolling, you have a history of being over sensitive to anyone/anything you don't agree with so just because you think it's trolling doesn't mean it is, but you should report it and we'll make educated decisions on each report.

Banning people for stupidity itself is not really feasible, we're all capable of stupidity, should we ban someone who spends 2 years criticising a game developer about poor performance of their game because they haven't bothered to update their hardware drivers in 2 years? That's a good example of stupidity that you would apparently want to see people banned for ;) Calling an employee of BIS an "asshole" in PM's is another example of stupidity that could easily get someone banned, if we take up this suggested "ban stupidity" suggestion :)

Placebo:

there was for example a man who asked about Polish T80 - Polish army never had T80

later he asked about german flak vest in Polish army, later said to remove popular helmet, later said that i should equip soldiers in model of weapon, that was not manufactured and not bought by Ministry of Defense :) also said to remove good and realistic vest

but my question was in general, not concerning my addons

other addonmakers somethimes have similiar problems

concerning drivers - if game is from 2006, VGA bought in middle 2008 and had CD with drivers , so why should it not worked ? if SOF3 worked 10 hours while Arma 30 minutes till frozen?

Arma was released December 2006, my drivers were end 2007, year after Arma release, is year after is not enough ??? and 1.08 was working good without single problem :]

if you have game from 2006 and PC from 2008 it should work, isn't it?

concerning cryticising BIS - yes, i still think ultimate realism requires other receiver of RPK, there should be button to close stock on AKS74U, AK107, T80 , NSV on T72 etc.

Edited by vilas

Vilas just cut it out. The SOF3 engine was made in medieval era, that's why it does work on old drivers. In fact many games are built on old patterns, and are just pimped a bit, to do not look outdated (could you believe, that "The Witcher" aka "Wiedźmin" was built on Neverwinter Nights (1!) engine?). Anyway, the manual says clearly: update the to the latest drivers. Every game has it stated, and SOF3 will run on those new drivers as well.

As for stupidity - people have right to be stupid. Stop judging them, and start ignoring, or make jokes of them, so maybe there will be day, they'll reconsider posting bullshit.

Placebo:

there was for example a man who asked about Polish T80 - Polish army never had T80

later he asked about german flak vest in Polish army, later said to remove popular helmet, later said that i should equip soldiers in model of weapon, that was not manufactured and not bought by Ministry of Defense :) also said to remove good and realistic vest

but my question was in general, not concerning my addons

other addonmakers somethimes have similiar problems

Well the answer's the same whether it applies to your stuff or anyone else's threads, repeatedly asking "dumb" questions can easily be deemed trolling, of course try to answer people if possible but if they get annoying because you or anyone else feels they're just being a pain deliberately report them and we'll investigate, even if we don't 100% agree with the original complaint we'll often post a cautionary reminder in the thread to ask people to be constructive and such when posting, often helps :)

concerning drivers - if game is from 2006, VGA bought in middle 2008 and had CD with drivers , so why should it not worked ? if SOF3 worked 10 hours while Arma 30 minutes till frozen?

Arma was released December 2006, my drivers were end 2007, year after Arma release, is year after is not enough ??? and 1.08 was working good without single problem :]

if you have game from 2006 and PC from 2008 it should work, isn't it?

concerning cryticising BIS - yes, i still think ultimate realism requires other receiver of RPK, there should be button to close stock on AKS74U, AK107, T80 , NSV on T72 etc.

It doesn't matter what year the game is from, what year the hardware is from, you should always update your drivers when new drivers come out unless the new drivers cause problems with the software/games you're trying to run, early drivers will be buggy and unoptimised, as the months/years progress the driver developers will be able to get better performance out of the drivers as they become more familiar with the platform. It's similar to how console games drastically improve from those released in the first year of a console's life to those released in the final year of its life, the hardware spec hasn't changed but the experience and knowledge of the platform has.

You've mentioned yourself numerous times that due to EE wages you're on a strict hardware buying budget, to that end the onus is on you to get the best performance possible out of the hardware you have and there's a number of ways you can do that (I'll be lazy and copy and paste from the system specs thread I just posted in):

Your actual system specs really are only the shallow beginning as to how well a game runs for you, besides the hardware you have, what other steps do you go to to help a game run well on your system?

Do you download the latest drivers? (And also check the new ones you downloaded are faster than the previous ones?)

Do you ensure that your hardware is running at correct/optimal parameters? For example it's extremely common for hard drives to be running at slower transfer rates than they're actually capable of.

Do you stop all programs/services from starting with windows if not 100% necessary?

Do you close all running apps before starting the game with something like enditall?

Do you regularly defrag the hard drive to ensure optimum performance?

now my FPS raised from 27 to 60 and i am happy, very happy, but other software not works and i am sad , effect 1:1 remis,

and thats why i always afraid of new drivers, cause they may interrupt something

"good is foe of better" as there is in proverb

so sometimes users afraid to use newest drivers, cause newest may contain bugs, like now my Corel is out of function

from one side - good, my Arma FPS raised over twice

from other side - bad, my Corel OEM given to scanner, not works at all

making all updates sometimes is risky, cause "if it works, better not touch"

That's all well and good, but 2 years venting your spleen at BIS due to "horrible optimisation of ArmA1" is really unacceptable behaviour when it turns out you hadn't bothered to update drivers in 2 years. It's not BIS' problem that Corel no longer works for you with newer drivers, harsh but true, I've moved onto Windows7 and some stuff doesn't work for me so I have to find alternatives, you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Edit: oh, the wonders of searching :)

Edited by sparks50

can some moderator explain me why i can't edit my post? It says i can't because i have no permission..

this was the thread i created that i can not edit it or repost in it: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?p=1292645#post1292645

edit: Message say this:

bravo 6, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?

2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

edit2: thanks Placebo.

Edited by bravo 6

I'll check forum/user permissions.

Fixed.

Edited by Placebo

I noticed quite a few slow downs this morning and yesterday evening with the forums, where it would take pages several minutes to load. I guess it must be all the attention with the release of ArmA 2 in Germany?

I noticed that the forum was re-organized and some forums were added and relocated.. maybe thats the reason for it.

Edit: in my opinion it was best when we had the arma editing forum inside the arma instead outside.

Could it be like before?

Edited by bravo 6

Forum sluggishness is more or less due to traffic, we're aware of it.

Is the four-character-minimum search term limit is still in place? I tried to search for info on this and came up empty.

I'm having trouble searching using terms like WGL, FDF, MP7, etc. . .

Yeah I don't think we got round to doing the required maintenance for that to kick in, I'll try to make sure it's on the todo list.

+e :blush:

I'm a bit worried that there are 3 threads people post their screenshots on, "New ArmA II pictures", "ArmA II Photography" and "DE 1.01 Impressions".

Will this be changed after the European release? Presuming the DE 1.01 impression thread gets locked.

Well New ArmA II pictures was for official PR pictures before anyone had the game, so not really needed now, DE 1.01 Impressions will become EU 1.01 impressions soon, then EU/US 1.01 impressions, then 1.02 impressions and on.

Is the four-character-minimum search term limit is still in place? I tried to search for info on this and came up empty.

I'm having trouble searching using terms like WGL, FDF, MP7, etc. . .

We finally got it fixed so the minimum is now 3 characters and searches such as WGL work :)

Are there problems with the BIwiki these days? It seems I am unable to open the website. I was looking for a guide on how to convert addons from ArmA to ArmA 2 (config-wise). I assume it is the right place to look for it.

Edited by colossus
typo

Are the post counts on the thread the number of unique views, or total views?

Abs

Total views if I remember correctly, except that the number displayed doesn't update right away, but after a certain amount of time has passed.

Edited by Sniperwolf572

Total views if I remember correctly, except that the number displayed doesn't update right away, but after a certain amount of time has passed.

Strange...but thanks for answering!

Abs

You're welcome.

It's not really as strange as you might think, it lessens the load on the servers. ;)