Placebo

The all new: Ask a moderator about the forum & rules

Question about a possible topic for A3, although I may be getting ahead of myself in terms of timing due to the game being pushed back to 2013, however the premise of the thread may require some discussion over time.

The topic would be aimed at 'modding/editing wishes' within A3. Now, the point to note is in my mind this is distinctly different to the 10,000 'I want unit X and X' threads, it is centred around changes/additions to the game from A2 - 3 that would allow specifically modders (mission makes included one suspect) a greater freedom/more control to create a greater variety of content. For example, a post from myself would perhaps contain:

1. Ability to query who has ejected from a vehicle - Currently writing a script that allows for a top cover (using a personal weapon from a hatch in the vehicle) which uses getin and out eventhandlers and querying who got in/out and what position and to hide/display a weapon at that position if needed. Currently ejecting breaks the script, as unit never gets out and unable to query which position in the vehicle was vacated.
  2. Ability to query which turret (on multiple turreted vehicles) a gunner enters (similar premise to above question)

My real list is a little longer, built up over the last ten years. My question being if it deserves a distintly seperate thread where modding utility is discussed? It could of course come under 'ideas and wishes', but the amount of drivel in that thread rather detracts from potentially useful ideas and additions (not to say mine are any less drivel based)

Where do you think this topic should go?

Basically I am releasing a mission template for people to add their own little missions to, and it comes with the pbo (so you can have a look at the one mission I put into it and the params). I plan on updating it aswell.

Where would it be best to go?

-OA mission and scripting

-OA released missions?

Sounds like ARMA 2 & OA - USER MISSIONS to me, it would probably get more traffic there at a guess so that's another reason to choose that forum :)

Sounds like ARMA 2 & OA - USER MISSIONS to me, it would probably get more traffic there at a guess so that's another reason to choose that forum :)

Ok thanks, will post it up there

Guys,

I know there's a 'what PC/settings' thread in the QA forum, but like some others here, it's a monster thread and maybe scares users off, especially those who arrive here frustrated that they can't get the game to work.

I have found there's a lot of laptop users with crap integrated graphics cards and ancient AMD processors that are either or both way short of the mimimum system requirements. Can I make a 'no discussion thread' (ie, have you chaps sticky/lock it straight away) that says the following.

Laptop users! Can you run this game?
Laptop users need to be aware that this is a very demanding game and is probably not suitable for your machines.

For a start, please look at these pages which show the minimum system requirements.

http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=1965&game=ArmA%20II:%20Free

^^Note this is for the free version.^^

http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=753&game=Arma%20II:%20Operation%20Arrowhead

^^For Arma2, Arrowhead and Combined Ops^^

It's good advice consider the recommended specs as a basic starting point.

Why? This game sucks up GPU power. Your integrated graphics card cannot cope, I guarantee it.

It's even harder on your CPU. Your mobile branded CPU might have a half decent speed rating, but your GHz are cut down, low power ones. Not nearly man enough for this game.

It drags a lot of data from the hard disk too. All those lovely graphics come from the hard disk. If that's a mobile 5,400 RPM spinner, it aint going to look good.

In a laptop, all of the above means HEAT and that's bad.

Sure, you can run the game on low settings and it might work, but it'll look like crap. It'll probably lag like crazy and your AI won't work properly. You'll get crashes, errors and all kinds of heartache. You'll get pwned too, by the zombies and the other players.

Sure, some laptops do make a decent job of this game, but these tend to cost more than £1200 / $1,000 / €1,500.

So, in conclusion and in short. If you want to play this game, get a desktop. A good one.

Hmm maybe other mods would like to chip in but I'm not sure I can really see the point for such a specific standalone thread, we can easily adjust the title to something that you think might help? And/or edit the first post to contain better information? Or we could always close that one now and start a 3rd thread?

Short of a new thread, trying to merge mine into the first post of the "will my pc run this" is the next best option IMO.

Perhaps I rambled on too much in my post? I am known to do that occasionally. :)

I think it might be interesting to conduct a poll about the experiences of laptop users and make recommendations based on those.

Laptop = PC, I fail to see why we need a dedicated thread for laptop users. :)

But for Arma2, laptop != PC. I'm not suggesting a new thread, just a locked 'no discussion' thread.

I'd welcome asking laptop users about their experiences with this game but it does occur to me, they do tend to be a little 'shy' about their machines. They give their specs, but often leave out crucial details, like the 'm' on the designation of their GPU, or one recent chap who called it his 'workstation'. Then, of course, there's the usual "it players Stalker on very high at 90 FPS". Yeah, pal. Sure it does.

So, I hereby accuse many laptop users of, deep down, knowing their machines aren't up to the job, and being obtuse about their specs or downright lying about how their machine performs with other titles.

For all these reasons, I suggest that we lay it out early for laptop users. They clearly can't navigate the 'will my pc run this' thread on their XVGA screens. :)

Hello guys (moderators), I would like my account to be deleted if that is possible.

Nope, that is not possible. You can simply go inactive, or if you want something drastic, we can ban you on request. If you need a different account, we can simply change the name or other details of this one.

If you need a different account, we can simply change the name or other details of this one.

Excellent, that would be enough. Should I PM you details to change?

edit:

I have just PM you.

Edited by Bouben

Nope, that is not possible. You can simply go inactive, or if you want something drastic, we can ban you on request. If you need a different account, we can simply change the name or other details of this one.

Since someone mentioned this, when I was going through one of my threads about a dispersion script a week or so ago I noticed I was having a conversation with myself. The other persons posts had disappeared completely. Would that be an error with the forum? Or something else?

This is the thread.

Since someone mentioned this, when I was going through one of my threads about a dispersion script a week or so ago I noticed I was having a conversation with myself. The other persons posts had disappeared completely. Would that be an error with the forum? Or something else?

This is the thread.

Wasn't the guy Walter_E_kurtz ? Cause i can't find his posts anymore, and in some topic i was thanking him but his posts simply disappeared...

Edited by ProfTournesol

Yep Rellikki deleted all his replies because he'd gone back to every post he made and edited them to say "F.U. Bis"...

Excellent, that would be enough. Should I PM you details to change?

edit:

I have just PM you.

Requests for name changes should go in the username change / merge thread so we can keep track of the changes, and because some moderators *cough* don't have the power to change your account details.

Very minor thing, in the offtopic Meme thread I notice 107k image returns as a URL only, although I could swear I saw the new forum feature that detected large image (100k +) and scaled it into an embed to overcome this. Is it a tag you need to surround URL other than insert image? Or import image to forum and it doesn't use URL?

I could swear I saw the new forum feature that detected large image (100k +) and scaled it into an embed to overcome this.

As far as I ever saw, it was just a render-resizer. It just scaled the picture down, it didnt create a lower-res thumbnail.

Which is why I have the useless PoS script-blocked.

Ah right, I thought it was the answer to moderating large pics IE forum detects pic link 100+k , embed scales it to forum, can then still be viewed while embedded and no infractions?

Ah well, seems not.

No, they only ever implemented a tag replacer IMG -> URL for greater than 100kb.

Ah right, I thought it was the answer to moderating large pics IE forum detects pic link 100+k , embed scales it to forum, can then still be viewed while embedded and no infractions?

Ah well, seems not.

That is the goal. From what little I know about it, it is easier said than done. The tag replacer is not always working, and the re-sizer doesn't do anything to the actual image size in kb. You could resize a giant image down to a thumbnail and it could still be a 3 meg image. I believe that feature is just to keep the dimensions of individual posts reasonable. All in all, we don't as of yet have any reliable solution to automagically handle oversized images. I can only speak for myself, but I think infractions for this rule would be reserved only for extreme or repeated cases. That said, it is still up to the user to manage their file sizes until a suitable solution can be found.

Ref the RTM sticky notification, what about the following paradox:

If you feel that the moderator has done something that can not be solved via normal conversation, please notify the head moderator, Placebo.

What if it was Placebo? (Kind of joking, and also have no issues, but I just thought about it as I read it) :)

BTW Thanks Maxpower for reply, didnt see that until now.

You contact me and I will assess the situation from a completely neutral, impartial and unbiased perspective based on 11 years working on these very forums ;)

Edited by Placebo

asses

that's something you don't see every day ;) (Assess - I assume thats what you mean, rather than the plural of American Bottoms)

Can I get a reply on my question? I understand it was rather long winded first time around, so in short, does it seem prudent/useful to create a 'modding wishlist' for A3 (purely as a wishlist for features useful for the modding community, such as new commands etc) where all requests for addon X, or Engine change Y were out of bounds? It could equally be placed in the current wishlist thread, which is, however and of no surprise, generally overflowing with mindless drivel (and a useful way to collate all aforementioned drivel, rather than 1000's of threads).